Jump to content

The Journal of Chris Williams 2. Running With The Pack

   (7 reviews)

Chris Williams was exiled from Parker Valley Pack after participating in an attack on the mate of another wolf.  After being forced to leave the only home he knew, he was taken in by a pack on the west coast as a favor to his old Alpha.  At the suggestion of the counselor helping him work through his many problems, he began keeping a journal of his thoughts on what got him to where he is. 

9/5/19 - Editing of this book has been completed and all updated chapters are posted. This wasn't a major rewrite like RWTP received. It was simply polished to bring it to the standard of the first book. Enjoy.
I've created a forum post for additional discussion of the story with book 1 of Running with the Pack and will continue to use it for this book as well.  You're comments are greatly appreciated.  
http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/41066-running-with-the-pack/
Copyright © 2017 WolfM; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (25 members)

  • Action Packed 9
  • Addictive/Pacing 17
  • Characters 24
  • Chills 7
  • Cliffhanger 5
  • Compelling 15
  • Feel-Good 12
  • Humor 5
  • Smoldering 7
  • Tearjerker 12
  • Unique 17
  • World Building 13

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Journal 1
    • 1,292 Words
    • 8,413 Views
    • 33 Comments
  • 2. Journal 2
    • 1,109 Words
    • 6,715 Views
    • 18 Comments
  • 3. Journal 3
    • 1,057 Words
    • 6,675 Views
    • 20 Comments
  • 4. Journal 4
    • 1,219 Words
    • 6,462 Views
    • 20 Comments
  • 5. Journal 5
    • 1,814 Words
    • 6,545 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 6. Journal 6
    • 1,761 Words
    • 6,962 Views
    • 19 Comments
  • 7. Journal 7
    • 1,892 Words
    • 5,427 Views
    • 14 Comments
  • 8. Journal 8
    • 1,922 Words
    • 6,358 Views
    • 23 Comments
  • 9. Journal 9
    • 2,095 Words
    • 6,330 Views
    • 20 Comments
  • 10. Journal 10
    • 2,331 Words
    • 6,104 Views
    • 22 Comments
  • 11. Journal 11
    • 2,233 Words
    • 6,154 Views
    • 22 Comments
  • 12. Journal 12
    • 2,514 Words
    • 5,897 Views
    • 16 Comments
  • 13. Journal 13
    • 1,767 Words
    • 6,365 Views
    • 21 Comments
  • 14. Journal 14
    • 2,063 Words
    • 5,837 Views
    • 14 Comments
  • 15. Journal 15
    • 1,931 Words
    • 6,203 Views
    • 21 Comments
  • 16. Journal 16
    • 1,889 Words
    • 6,280 Views
    • 22 Comments
  • 17. Journal 17
    • 1,599 Words
    • 6,061 Views
    • 18 Comments
  • 18. Journal 18
    • 2,481 Words
    • 6,518 Views
    • 32 Comments
  • 19. Journal 19
    • 2,738 Words
    • 6,296 Views
    • 25 Comments
  • 20. Journal 20
    • 3,090 Words
    • 8,704 Views
    • 62 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Matthew Ross

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

When I read the first book I was glad, it was satisfying and left me wanting more, but I had thought there was no more to the story. Till I left the review for that one then realized you had three more to the series, so of course I forgo any plans for rest and dived right into the second novel... As someone who was SA'd who grew up feeling rage and just anger for what I went through, but also thinking it was the normal... this story helped me, I did not do the things Chris had done thankfully, but I never realized just the wrong people, the wrong choices, just the wrong life, could have made me hurt others. It was comforting to know that, it is possible to move on from this someday, that what had happened to me and to Chris does not mean it'll mar us forever. It was comforting seeing him grow and adjust in just the pages of a journal, hearing his thoughts of his actions of his worries for his former pack had went through. I enjoyed this very much.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to review
Pup Cameron

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

For a follow-up book to Running with the Pack, it was surprising that such a minor character was chosen, but it works so well. The format is interesting and makes for a good read as we share what's in the main characters mind. I'd recommend this book to anyone.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to review
Sherye Story Reader

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Here is a story of how a bully learned his lesson in how to treat people better and finding his true mate! You will enjoy this story and also might learn a good lesson too. Keep up the great writing and you will go far in that way of life of entertaining everyone!

  • Like 4
Link to review
seakinklets

   3 of 5 members found this review helpful 3 / 5 members

No spoilers until the warning.

I've made it clear I wasn't a fan of the first book, but I still finished it after reading the premise for this one. I'm glad I gave this book a chance, because it was far more enjoyable of a read. Every criticism I could have for this story stems from it's narrative framing, that being that it's a journal written by the protagonist ostensibly to his therapist. This, compared to a third person perspective, is inherently limited. Chris, the protag, is only going to write so much and only about certain important things. This however is also a strength; there was no filler. Everything felt relevant, everything was something he wanted to say and felt he should. Chris was an antagonist of the previous book, little more than a sadistic lackey for the main villain. Here it's clear just how much of a victim he is. The abuse he suffered, the grooming at the hands of his supposed friend, the trauma he faces because of it, it hurt. I truly felt for this character, and it really felt good to see him begin to turn his life around. To work towards redemption. I can safely recommend this book, with the caveat that discussion of sexual assault, abuse, and a whole lotta horrific shit is in here. Primarily in one chapter, but this is about a character going to therapy to deal with that trauma, and boy is there a lot of it. At some points I wanted more detail, to see the subtleties of how his trauma affects him and to see those points of pain lessen, but I think the fact that it's a brisk 20 relatively short chapters really works in it's favor. I think I just enjoyed it enough that I wanted more, to get even more immersed in this character. I struggle to decide whether I like this or the third book more, but going over it again for the review I think this one is my favorite in the series. It's just good fiction.

Spoilers here so I can praise some specifics.

The guilt is palpable, especially when it comes to shifting. The conversation between Chris and Enforcer Hanson was so telling to how internalized his guilt his, how he really thinks he deserves to suffer. Him saying that if he had went with Micheal he would have deserved being abused at their hands, but that he didn't and therefor doesn't deserve that really helps show his growth in forgiving himself. Everything surrounding his rape, and his violence towards others as a hollow attempt to reclaim agency and his masculinity is just fantastic, especially when he highlights that it was hollow. He knows it was pointless. Honestly it was amazing. He really felt like a scared kid who's world fell apart and he's the reason why.

  • Like 3
Link to review
astone2292

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

After reading Running with the Pack numerous times, I finally decided to read the next story in the series. Chris, in the first book, caught my attention numerous times as a villainous character. Utilizing him as a main character through a journal gave me trepidation before committing to a thorough read.

This journal dives deep into a young man's flaws in decision-making. It dives further when he realizes those flaws. Diving further, he comes to terms of why he made those choices, and how he can begin the healing process. The author's research is impeccable, and the understanding of depression is something to revere. I loathed the concept of taking the point-of-view of a despicable character from the first story, but the entries turned my opinion quickly and abruptly. 

Wholesome. While Chris' journey in recovery is filled with self-hate and other psychological conundrums, I can not find a better word to describe this adventure. I personally believe there is no one stronger than someone who has been broken, but then rebuilds themselves. Prior to my former belief written above, Chris is a deserving character who needed to have his story told, even if there are others from the first book who could have theirs told instead. 

If any RwtP fan hasn't continued the series, you must. This journal is intense, more than I gave it credit for when I viewed the summary page. Like the reviews below, I recommend this story, and I am kicking myself for not starting it sooner. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 2
Link to review
Carlos Hazday

· Edited by Carlos Hazday

   11 of 11 members found this review helpful 11 / 11 members

Reading The Journal of Chris Williams brought to mind Animal Farm. While George Orwell used pigs and other animals as stand-ins for humans in his social commentary, in this case, we have werewolves. The other main thought running through my head while reading was the story is a tale of recovery and redemption.

 

I'm not familiar with twelve-step programs but from the little I know about them, some of Chris' actions approached a few of the steps I'm aware of. Admission of a problem, recognition of the need to change, involvement in new activities, communication with those wronged by writing letters all seem to fit the process those dealing with addiction go through.

 

We relate to a likable protagonist and feel his pain during the struggle to change and his joy when he achieves victories. The author draws us in and we get lost in the character's plight. Someone who wasn't a good being changes for the better and we root for him all the way.

 

From a technical point of view, the use of a first-person narrative framed as journal entries is very forgiving. Spelling and grammatical errors can be attributed to the character since it's his words we read. Some errors could be corrected but even though not perfect, the story is a joy to read.

 

I highly recommend  The Journal of Chris Williams.

  • Like 5
  • Love 3
Link to review
chris191070

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Another fantastic story. Loved the diary element of this story, gave us a great insite into the characters.

  • Like 5
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..