:read:

I was browsing through the list of links just now and came to 'Scribbler's Pad'.

Noticing that this hosted stories by Graeme, and having read all six ( so far) chapters of his story 'New Brother' I thought I see what else he had to offer.

I found he'd posted a short story called "Dear God". It took but a few minutes to read, but it's going to have me thinking a great deal. I won't spoil it by describing the story. Read it for yourself and then say what YOU think!

? :( ?

Edited by AFriendlyFace

Hm... I suppose it's thought-provoking.

But, to be honest, I only thought for a few minutes about it.

Here I have to say, that I don't live in the US. Gay kid's are also disowned, or thrown out by their parents. But very few justify this with the kid being an abnormination before god, living in sin, going to hell, or other religious affectations.

Such people are either members of a sect or absolute religious hardliners.

I have stopped trying to understand such people. I also have problems to empathize myself into this aspect of the stories I read. Sure I feel with the kid, but it's hard for me to imagine such a reaction by the parents.

It's remarkable, that most of this stories act in the US. Are there really so much (I call them this on purpose) freaks, that aren't able to think for themselves and dumbly belive in something that an egomanic smart ass preaches?

In history, there were enought wars, genocides and malicious agitation supposedly in the name of god. People should really undestand that it's important to think for yourself and not to blindly belive in anything that you hear, or that somebody tells you to belive.

My five eurocent on this. I hope I'm not to harsh, or assaulted someones belive in god. That's not my intend. I'm only sick of people masking their own problems, insecureties or other crap with god, or something else.

Daniel

In addition:

The problem ist, that kid's aren't able to do this. They _do_ blindly belive what the parents and other important people tell them. Children are highly manipulable. :-/

Edited by TheDaniel

At which point, I'll now say that the thought that bothered me most was the effect that misguided people can have on their own younger kids, who might be totally unable to understand such a situation.

Granted, the idea was pushed to the extreme here, but nevertheless, it makes you wonder what goes through a young impressionable mind when faced with such a family crisis.

In this sort of situation, it just shows that loving understanding rather than biggoted ignorance is so much better.

Yes Daniel there really are that many closed minded people living in the U.S. Most of your fundamentalist Baptist type church followers belive this way. While the times are changing it is slow in coming. There are many other groups that also feel this way. Yes there are a lot of blind followers in this world.

Guest jamieanderson

It is not only the USA that such types exist.

Most people equate The Netherlands with Amsterdam, a wild place where anything goes, but this is not the case.

There are some religious enclaves in The Netherlands where things are very different. One lot were being interviewed on TV about their views on things, and homosexuality came up. Unsurprisingly they strongly disapproved of it. When asked the question, but what about the gays in your community. They simply replied, we don