[Altimexis] You Can Go Home Again by Altimexis

• Site Administrator

You Can Go Home Again by Altimexis

When Altaf’s sister calls to tell him his father in Pakistan is dying, ghosts from the past come back to haunt him. He must face the prospect that honoring his father's last wish and returning home could very well cost him his own life.

:nuke: :nuke: Spoilers Below!!! :nuke: :nuke:

Edited by Graeme

This was certainly an exciting story! I enjoyed the window into a different culture and way of thinking!

I have to say that the question posed by the title of the story was, to me at least, a resounding 'no'. I think that by going home in the long run Altaf only ended up endangering himself and his sister and brother-in-law and causing a more expedited death for his father. I realize that family and family obligations are very important, but I think in the long-run the family was worse off by his return. I also think that the family should want what is best for Altaf and I don't think that was going back.

On the other hand, it gave him a good chance to bond with his father and set the record straight. It also enabled him to stand up to the imam and exorcise many of the demons from his past. These two things alone might have made the physical danger worth it in terms of the psychological advantages. It's also possible that this whole thing will serve as the impetus for Zara and Saleem to leave behind their current life and find something happier and more satisfying. So in that way perhaps it was good that he went.

I know that going back would have been an incorrect decision for me that I wouldn't have seriously entertained in Altaf's place, but I think that what's right and wrong, particularly what is right and wrong for each individual, is a very relative matter and I mustn't allow my own concept of what I would have done and what I would have felt was best to influence my opinion of Altaf's decision. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Great story, Altimexis, and very exciting! :D

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

Two years ago, Altef left Pakistan due to the fact that he would die otherwise. His father is dying and has requested to see his son one last time before he dies. Pakistan is still not a safe place for gays, and he risks his own life just to see his father one last time. The Imam is sure to find out that he has arrived. Will the Imam decide to kill Altef? If so, will Altef be able to escape his clutches, or will Altef become a ghost?

This story is a great addition to the Napertown Tales, a series of stories I highly recommend both as an author and as a reader. You will find yourself considering many truths and exploring your own beliefs about Islam and indeed how lucky many of us are to live in western society where we do not have to fear death for being who we are. Even in the worst times politically, our lives are much easier than theirs, and I believe that part of the author

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

The last thing I expected to see in an anthology with a Ghosts theme was an adventure story, but that's what I found in this story. The trip to Pakistan, the encounters there and the truths revealed, and finally the escape!

One thing I thought of when I was reading was that Altimexis has just opened himself up to write lots more stories that fit into the twenty year gap between this one and the vision.

Thanks for another great story! :2thumbs:

I found this to be a worthy continuation of this terrific story sequence. My only concern is that it "telegraphs" a lot of future plotline -- although that's based on the assumption that the previsions Altaf was given were accurate statements of a deterministic future, not necessarily a valid assumption.

BeaStKid, I noticed that this story takes place less than 200 KM from where you live, though across the border. I wonder if you have any comments about the verisimilitude of what you hear going on over there.