[Altimexis] Positive - A Naptown Tale

I decided to get the ball rolling on this one myself so I could post a link in the story announcement. This story's a little different for me, but then all of my Naptown Tales are unique. Sammy is my youngest primary character so far, but he's certainly wise beyond his years. I hope you enjoyed reading his take on things as much as I enjoyed writing it. - Altimexis B)

• Site Administrator

I enjoyed this chapter of Naptown tales, like the others :great: .

A very important message is within the story that unfortunately I don't think that enough people hear or know about. I guess one small problem that I did have was with the age of Sammy and his ability to address a school full of high school students. Other than that the message came through loud and clear :worship: .

I know you touched base on the dangers of oral sex and the transmission of the HIV virus, and was wondering is this 'new' information that has become the standard now? I have always known that their is always a risk with any contact of fluids, but not the high risk that seemed to be potrayed in the story.

Thanks again,

Steve B)

I enjoyed this chapter of Naptown tales, like the others :great: .

A very important message is within the story that unfortunately I don't think that enough people hear or know about. I guess one small problem that I did have was with the age of Sammy and his ability to address a school full of high school students. Other than that the message came through loud and clear :worship: .

I understand where you're coming from on this, and most 12-year-old kids would be intimidated. Sammy's only a step away from being a street hustler himself. Maybe it's a bit pretentious of me to cast him in this role, but it just seemed to work here.

I know you touched base on the dangers of oral sex and the transmission of the HIV virus, and was wondering is this 'new' information that has become the standard now? I have always known that their is always a risk with any contact of fluids, but not the high risk that seemed to be potrayed in the story.

I've been writing articles and book chapters on HIV since the mid 1980's - in fact, I have another one coming out early next year. Although it's true that oral sex doesn't carry near the risk of anal intercourse, the notion that oral sex carries little or no risk is absolutely false. I cringe every time I read a story involving the swallowing of semen as if it's perfectly safe, and then in which a condom is later used for anal sex. Not that I'm not glad the condom is used, but oral sex is still a moderate risk activity. Go to the CDC and look it up! Here's the link to a page dealing specifically with oral sex. Yes, most gay men with HIV got it through anal intercourse, but oral is still a route of transmission, particularly if done repeatedly.

• Site Administrator

Thanks for that link :worship: .

I still remember the first time I ever got tested for HIV at a clinic. I had the blood drawn after having a consultation with a counselor and then a doctor.

When I was notified the results were in, I went down and was surprised to have to meet with a counselor once again. Needless to say that I was a fair bit alarmed with having to talk to a counselor before getting the results, I figured it was positive.

Luckily the wait was only about a minute and the session started out with the results being revealed to me.

I do remember though in that session, we talked about different ways that HIV could be transmitted. I specifically remember that the counselor at that time said that the current belief is that oral transmission was virtually zero unless you had open sores in the mouth or blood was exchanged in any way. I guess that was where my original question to you was for. I also remember the counselor advising that even though that was the current belief, that it was only that, a belief. She asked me if I was willing to take the risk of infection by having oral sex.

I guess it comes down to what risk you are willing to take, unfortunately. When were younger, we feel indestructible. Even if the risk was like less than 1% (where as the CDC believes it is in the 7.8% range) I'm sure it wouldn't have a impact with most young people :( .

Now change that to a one in ten chance, and maybe we would make some greater strides. Too bad that isn't promoted as the more correct number.