This is the discussion thread for 'Til Death Do Us Part, a novel in seven parts plus prologue and epilogue. This is the series finale for the Naptown Tales Series. The Prologue is now on-line.

It's hard to believe that it was three years ago that I posted Broad Ripple Blues as part of the 2007 Summer Anthology. What started as a one-off short story led to the writing of 25 short stories containing a total of 287 thousand words, a 5-part novella containing 42 thousand words, a 12-part novel containing 124 thousand words and now a 7-part novel containing 88 thousand words. That's a grand total of well over half-a-million words! Finally we'll gain an understanding that what brought David and Jeremy together was more than just a rainy day, and our suspicions of what the future may hold will be clarified.

Please let me know what you think, good and bad, and feel free to comment on the series overall.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm not sure how this discussion thread works.

I just finished the most recent posting of "Till Death Do Us Part". The finale, which ends with the two recently marrieds showing their siblings around Paris.

I can't believe that this series ends before the two couples enter college.

And what of the hints that 35 yrs hence President David will be assassinated???

Is this the end of the entire series? Or is there more to come????

I has been a touching ride, very well written.

I do thank Altimexis for it.

Valhalla

I'm not sure how this discussion thread works.

I just finished the most recent posting of "Till Death Do Us Part". The finale, which ends with the two recently marrieds showing their siblings around Paris.

I can't believe that this series ends before the two couples enter college.

And what of the hints that 35 yrs hence President David will be assassinated???

Is this the end of the entire series? Or is there more to come????

I has been a touching ride, very well written.

I do thank Altimexis for it.

Valhalla

Sorry if there was any confusion, but 'Til Death Do Us Part is a novel in seven parts - as is stated right in the title. When I said this was the series finale, I meant the entire novel is the series finale for the Naptown Tales Series - not just the most recent part. Including today's post and the epilogue at the end, there are 4 more posts to go!

• 3 weeks later...

It was a brilliant tear jerking ending that was absolutely beautiful. When I saw the epilogue was in Cliff's POV i first thought that perhaps I should skip it for now due to dehydration. But of course that wasn't about to happen.

It was well worth the extra tears. It was kinda like Cliff getting his wings.

Well done.

Now Legacy.

Sorry if there was any confusion, but 'Til Death Do Us Part is a novel in seven parts - as is stated right in the title. When I said this was the series finale, I meant the entire novel is the series finale for the Naptown Tales Series - not just the most recent part. Including today's post and the epilogue at the end, there are 4 more posts to go!

So Perhaps you can tell us a bit about Legacy? You said it is a sequel. Where does it pick up and who does it include as the mains? Is it David Reynolds as president or Governor working his way through the dirty politics to the White house? Will we see Paul's vision come to fruition?

Cliff still has more to do if it does too then I suppose since Fahreed (Sorry I'm sure I butchered that spelling.) has been released.

Tell us a bit of what we can expect from Legacy. You said it was 41 chapters, is that correct?

We're salivating already as we wring our hands staring at the screen.

Legacy will be approximately 40 chapters and 250k words in length. I can't know for sure how long it will end up being, as I'm still writing it and things can still change as the plot progresses. I've already added one unplanned chapter, based on some ideas thrown back at me by my primary editor. There will also be an epilogue that could end up being quite long in and of itself.

Although Legacy will stick to the same first person perspective format from multiple viewpoints used in Naptown Tales, it will be written as a conventional novel rather than as a series of self-contained stories. Whereas the typical short story or segment in the series was 8-20k words, the target length for chapters in Legacy is only 5-6k words. The story begins with the President's assassination so, as a result, none of the chapters will be from David's viewpoint. Most chapters, however, consist of two layers - one involving events as they are unfolding in the present (our future), and the other involving a flashback to events in the past (the time between now and David's assassination). David figures prominently in many of the flashbacks, so even though he's dead throughout the novel, he still has a prominent role to play.

All of the major characters from Naptown Tales play a role in Legacy, and there are even some new characters that play an important part. I think you'll like the way the story unfolds, but I'm not going to say anything more for now.

I know you said you like to have a backlog. Wise planning. Can you project when you plan to start posting it?

I am certainly not pushing. Just looking to see if we are talking days, weeks or months.

Cheers,

R