• Cinder
    • Egnatius
    • Firebrand
    • Flint
    • Incedio
    • Keahi
    • Pyrhos
    • other --- list it below please
  2. 2. More Names... still not seeing many hispanic in origin ones...

• Aedus
    • Amergin
    • Aodh-Edna
    • Dougal
    • Eagan
    • Embre
    • Tormaigh
    • Xavier

Before you respond to the poll please read. I have a couple names in mind that may or may not work. This is a piece of sci-fi it should be 30k words when finished. I was using one name (some of you will know what it is) I'm not sure it's working though. I was looking for some alternitives and maybe a totally different name.

That is why I have "other" as a choice. The biggest concern is that the character is primarily from a mixed catholic/hispanic/irish background but this name MUST go back THIRTEEN generations on the FATHER's line (the mac side) and CAN be native to anywhere a (Mac) might have found himself back then.

Another note... if you are having issues with the 13 generations, it's parallel earth so there is some leeway with the timeline too in my story the space race is just beginning but it's not the 1960's.

Ok... as for these -- A, B, C -- whatever the name is, it must fit in each statement and make sense. I've tried a few names and they don't work. I would like there to be some connotation about flames or something being spread... or marked. That would work well with the rest of the story.

( A )

“Go, little ____________, and grow,” he whispered, “so that you may learn to fly on the wings of light."

( B )

He was ____________, and she was going to let him spread his fire across the universe.

( C )

“Run little ____________, flee to the sky so that you may spread your wings of light.”

So now that you have read all that... I'm going to do the poll and put up a few names, but please if you have a better idea, click other.

Thank you.

Ok here are a few Irish ones.

Dougal means dark foreingner (can also me mac/mc dougal) additional spellings are Dubghall and Dugalll.

Aedus means Fire

Colm means Dove

Eagan mean fiery or strong of spirit

Tormaigh means thunder spirit

with the mixed race background Dougal could be a good one to use.

Name request, huh? :D

I would have to say I like Flint the best. He sounds lovely just by the name.

Also, what would you say for the option other: Set (originally the Egyptian Goddes of writing and measurements, though I'd find it mildly amusing if it was used with a male character.) Or Seth.

what do you think of Aed Edna (two names used as one like john-paul)

Aodh Edna would make the whole name Gaelic instead of Aed which is Welsh... Gaelic would work with the Irish or Scottish (can go either way at this point) Catholic upbringing.

Edited by Lugh
welsh name to gaelic name

If you are doing multiple generations that might get broken down. Kenneth, Kennet, Ken, Kent, etc are all one source and can easily be broken down over generations but still refer to your fire.

Personally, I would go for Aidan because of the name's history and meaning. behindthename.com says it goes back to a 7th century monk. (And monks are supposed to be Catholic, aren't they? So I guess if your character was Aidan it would make sense. Also, to me Aidan is the name from your list that would sound the crediblest with your given sentences.

I remember a Welsh person of Irish descent that once told me that the Welsh masculine name of Idris meant "fiery lord". I haven't come accross any proof of exacrly that meaning, but if you google you find some ressources of the "lord" bit. Idris is also in usage in Arabic countries (I know someone of that name, who told me so) and I was told - no proof for that, though -, that it was occasionally given in hispanic countries as well. So that might work for you, too

Or, as comicfan said, you come accross a name that can be broken down to something over the generations without changing the name's meaning. (I for example am the only Elisabeth in my family but for generations variant forms have been in use an both, patermal and maternal, sides. Most of these forms are either diminuitives given as full names or foreign forms of the very same name.)

I hope this helps.