Looking for recommendations

Could someone please recommend a good long and complete story that doesn't deal with high schoolers as the main characters? There are a lot of those, and many of them are very good, but I have enough with dealing with teenagers in real life to want to read more about that in my spare time. Some that I have already read and enjoyed are Second Wing (my favorite), Castway Hotel, Jacke's Hand and Stays in Vegas. In fact I found all of them in previous recommendations, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask for more.

Can you help me? And any genre is fine too.

• Site Administrator

There are quite a few I'm sure people can recommend. You can also search quite easily using the browse options in GA Stories. Click 'Title' and then use the options to choose the length, status, genre, etc... It won't let you exclude stories with certain tags, but since quite a few of the teen stories are tagged as such, it is easy for you to visually weed them out as you go through the story listings. You can also check the 'most reviewed' and 'most favorite' stories for suggestions.

If you like college age check out Second Shot. If you like adults check out Charlie by Hamen Cheese which is modern adult or Purpose by Andrew Q Gordon which is adult/paranormal/crime. I personally like most of Nephylim's works. They tend to be very long and quite a few of them are adults-not teens. I also really liked Accidents Happen by Comicfan. Joined by Blood by Renee Stevens is adult/paranormal/vamp. Hello, My Name Is... by Naptowngirl is also very popular.

I suggest Stefan Schmidt's stories, all of them are complete, neither of them have teens as main characters (exception is The Lizard, but the character's still act older, imo). My favorite is Made in Heaven, and it can be good to know, three of them are sort of a trilogy, starting with The Knife That Twists Within ( followed by A Promise and a Curse, and Angel's Trumpet). Remember his first language is German, not English.

A long time ago I read Dark's The One I Want, it has adult characters and I remember enjoying both the story and how it is written. Another that comes to mind, but not very long (novella-length) is Androgene's Colorado Game and maybe (main character is 19, but no school or typical teen issues) The House Always Wins. And if you don't mind reading something a little shorter I definitely recommend Podga's Travelling Home.

Hope you find something to your liking!

I second, Traveling Home, that's really good. I enjoyed reading that. You can also check out Cia's stories, like Pricolicci, Hypnotic (this is part of a series) , and The experiment. They are complete and the stories are very interesting and engaging.

I just finished reading, Hello, My name is..., by Naptowngirl, I loved it. :) read it in one evening, it's about twenty chapters and complete.

Oh, thank you so much! I'm going to devour all of them, and I promise to give feedback to the authors. And I'm not a native English speaker either, so I probably won't notice anything when reading Mr. Schmidt's stories.Right now I'm starting with the One I Want now, which is funny and well written. That's the good thing about recommendation, one can trust the good taste of the one making the comment.

And thanks to Cia for pointing out the browsing system. I tried it and found the number of stories with teens is much higher than the number of stories with adults. I do wonder why's that.

• Site Administrator

For good or ill, it's a proven fact that a large contingent of GA readers tend to prefer teen stories. We don't exclude teenagers from the site, as many erotic gay fiction sites do, so that might be part of why we attract both readers and writers of teen fiction.

Any genre? Richard Stevenson's Donald Strachey novels are worth hunting down - four have been made into movies, which aren't too bad either. Some have obviously dated in regard to political undertows and themes, but I think there's now 12 of them in the series - though since he moved to MLR and changed copy editors some people say he's not so sharp.