Beta/Editor Program is given New Life

Hi Members,

The GA Beta/Editing process is vital. 

So important that many a writer simply would not be able to continue a story without our help.  They say a writer writes, and an editor edits, that is true to an extent.  However, I know of some writers who are able to edit, and some editors who are able to write.  Of-course there might be members who disagree completely, but then that's all a matter of subjective belief, or, as some might say; opinion.  

Personally, I feel that if you are good at catching common grammatical and usage errors in a story, then you are the person we seek to assist us in our program.  But we're not only looking for editors, we would dearly love to meet proof-readers.  Many stories require a proof-read to iron out typo's and spelling errors.  We won't put you through a test, the proof, as they say, is in the pudding; as long as you make your writer happy, then we're happy.

Simply put - we need more. Why? Well, it's GA's Beta/Editor program, amongst many others, that sets GA apart from similar sites.

The Beta/Editor program has stagnated far too long. Having said that, I would like to echo sat8997's request (one which she posted 18 months ago): 

If you are part of this program, would you be so kind as to drop me a PM letting me know which authors you are currently helping and in what capacity, along with whether or not you are available for any assignments. Your preferred genres would be helpful too.

Also

If you are not part of this program, but are interested in volunteering some time and experience feel free to PM me...

We're looking for people who want to help.

How do you become an editor?

You can buy the title (for free), from the store.

Then PM me or Joann414 and we'll add you to the list. When you have done this, you may answer an ad found in the Writing Request Subforum of the Editor’s Corner.    Once you have responded to the ad, please inform me or Joann414 that you are "booked", so to speak.  Tell us the name of the author, and the project title.  This will help us collate who is and is not available to edit/proofread/beta.

Since March 2013, the following writers have requested assistance: Authors, please PM me or Joann414 if your request was, or was not, successful. 

Ryan Jacobs - seeking Beta/Editor -  for details see post dated 02 Mar 2013 and 11 Feb 2013

JMH - seeking Beta/Editor - for details see post dated 15 March 2013

Johnathan Colourfield - seeking Beta/Editor - for details see post dated 06 April 2013

Vaniley - seeking editor - for details see post dated 05 April 2013

Rosenkrantz - seeking Beta - for details see post dated 19 April 2013

scotty94 - seeking Beta - for details see post dated 19 April 2013

Billy Brat - seeking Editor - for details see post dated 30 April 2013

comicfan - seeking Beta - for details see post dated 15 May 2013

W_L - seeking Beta/Editor - for details see post dated 17 May 2013

scotty94 - seeking Editor - for details see post dated 24 May 2013

Thorne Wilde - seeking Editor - for details see post dated 28 May 2013

I ask for your assistance in helping out our new and established writers, and if you can, it will be greatly appreciated.

You can PM me: LJH

or

Joann414

Look out for some exciting Beta/Editor announcements and fun in the next couple of weeks. Also, if you have any fun ideas for the program, please let us know.

Hugs all

Edited by LJH
  • Like 2

I have some experience as a beta-reader (I was Perfect Imagination certified back when that meant something), and would be willing to help out with either editing or betaing, or both, if needed.

Whatever happened to Perfect Imagination?  

• Like 1

Whatever happened to Perfect Imagination?  

They went multi-fandom, then they stopped certifying, and now they seem to be under new management with very little information on what's going on. Too bad, they were a good resource. 

They went multi-fandom, then they stopped certifying, and now they seem to be under new management with very little information on what's going on. Too bad, they were a good resource. 

That's a shame.  I had an editor from there that helped me tremendously with some of my work.  I know last summer I tried to get some info from them and there was no response.  :(

That's a shame.  I had an editor from there that helped me tremendously with some of my work.  I know last summer I tried to get some info from them and there was no response.   :(

Yeah, I lost touch with my beta reader from there ages ago, too. She helped me loads. Myself, I took on a bunch of projects that the authors in question abandoned, but never told me.

That's downright terrible.

Meh, it happens. After a while you just figure that's it and you're not gonna hear from them again and that's that. Real life got in the way, or they just stopped writing. I know from experience how, the longer you postpone finishing something the harder it gets to actually do it. I bear them no ill will.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HI all,

Just a note of thanks for all of you that have stepped up to the plate for the editor/beta program so far.  I've had very postive feedback from those I have asked to help.  You've no idea what your work means to those that you are helping.  The writers that your helping all have been very nice and appreciative of your time and effort..  All I've heard is postive praise and thank yous.  Again, your work isn't going unnoticed.  The new authors always pop in to thank me and let me know what a great job you're doing and how nice you are.  I think the favorite word is AWESOME

Thanks guys,

You're the best!

Jo Ann and Louis

Edited by joann414
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...