Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2009 - Winter - Deceptions Entry

Amnesia - 1. Story

Amnesia

by Dolores Esteban

Inspector Graves wiped the sweat from his forehead as he walked down the path to the big entrance of the mansion. The sun was high. It was a hot summer day in August 1903. It had not rained for days.

A bee was humming close to Graves’ ear. The inspector angrily waved away the insect. Graves looked right and left. Rosebushes lined the path. Yet the leaves were dry. The plants needed water.

Graves approached the entrance and rang the bell. A minute or two passed before Lord Walter Aldridge, himself, opened the door. The tall man looked at Graves expectantly. His face was tanned by the sun and his dark hair was slightly shuffled. He was dressed in an elegant woollen suit that looked out of place in the blazing sun.

“Good afternoon,” Inspector Graves said, studying Lord Aldridge’s face. “No good news, I’m afraid.”

Before Graves was able to continue, Lord Aldridge asked him in and showed him to the parlour. Graves uncomfortably looked around in the large room. Each piece of furniture was elegant and valuable. Modern paintings decorated the walls.

Graves started to cough and Lord Aldridge hurried to open a window. Graves looked at the chimney fire in disbelief.

“The air is stifling. I am sorry,” Lord Aldridge said, turning back to Graves. “I am cold. I started the fire when I noticed that Jeffrey, Lord Mortimer, was missing. That was at five in the morning. I already told you.”

“Well,” Inspector Graves said, “Police Officer Scott told me so. You came to the office at six in the morning?”

“Yes, I did. I drove to Bexhill-on-Sea instantly after I found that Lord Mortimer was missing. I arrived at the police station at about six in the morning. I talked to Police Officer Scott, a very kind man, albeit slightly impatient.”

Lord Aldridge brushed back his hair and looked at Inspector Graves. His blue eyes showed honest concern.

“Why don’t you take a seat, Inspector?” he asked.

Inspector Graves gave him an assessing look. He cautiously sat down on a couch. He watched Aldridge who nervously paced the room.

“I instantly knew that something has happened to Lord Mortimer. He’s a good friend of mine, you must know. We came back from a long journey yesterday. We had been to Africa. A very fascinating continent.”

Lord Aldridge sat down in a chair. He folded his hands.

Inspector Graves cleared his throat. “Lord Mortimer left the house at night? You found out about it at five in the morning?”

Lord Aldridge looked into the room absent-mindedly, before he straightened and turned to the inspector. He smiled politely.

“We had been to Africa for five months. We used to get up before dawn because of the ardent African sun. Have you ever been to Egypt? You ought to go there. It is just amazing.”

Aldridge was lost in thoughts for a moment. Then he continued.

“We arrived in England yesterday. Earlier than we had planned. That’s why I’m alone in the house. The servants are expected to come here on Friday. My sister hired them. Here’s her letter.”

Aldridge took a letter from the table and held it up briefly.

“Well,” he said, giving Inspector Graves a smile, “Lord Mortimer and I decided to go to my mansion right away. We bought some food on our way. I am used to providing myself with things. I did on my journey through Africa. I can do this in England as well.”

“How did you come here?” Inspector Graves asked.

“I found a driver and hired him. He took us here and instantly left. Lord Mortimer and I spent the evening on our own.”

There was a noise in the hallway.

“Did you not say you were alone in the house?” Inspector Graves asked, looking at Aldridge.

“I forgot. George Drayton, the gardener. My sister hired him during my absence. He comes over from Brixton-on-Sea every Wednesday. He cares for the garden.”

Graves thought of the half-withered rosebushes.

“He should come more often, at least in August,” he said.

“You think so?” Aldridge asked. “Perhaps.”

“Lord Mortimer and you spent the evening together,” Inspector Graves said.

“Yes. However, we retired early. I woke up at four in the morning, like I did in Africa. I was not able to go back to sleep. So I decided to go downstairs and prepare breakfast. I passed Lord Mortimer’s room and found the door open. I called his name in a low voice. Louder then. When there was no response, I entered his room. The room was empty. I though he went downstairs, perhaps. But I did not find him there. I was waiting for some time, thinking that maybe he went for a walk. We were used to getting up very early in Africa.”

Lord Aldridge paused. Inspector Graves gave him a nod. Aldridge continued, his voice slightly trembling.

“I started to get worried when he did not return. I searched the house, calling his name. I went outside and into the garden. Morning had broken. I did not find him. Utterly worried, I opened the door of the shed. One of my cars was missing. I saw the car tracks. Lord Mortimer must have taken the car.”

Aldridge fell silent. He gazed at the chimney fire. Inspector Graves watched him quietly.

“You decided to inform the police. Why didn’t you wait a little while longer?”

Lord Aldridge turned to Graves, his eyes showing disbelief.

“I knew something had happened to him. I had a feeling something happened to him. Why should he have left without informing me? And I was right. You found his car.”

Inspector Graves straightened.

“Well, we found his car on the road to Eastbourne. We suspect he had an accident. The car is damaged. I told you already this morning.”

“You did, yes,” Aldridge said. “You have not yet found Lord Mortimer.”

“Unfortunately, we have not yet found him,” Inspector Graves said, shifting uncomfortably. “Several policemen are searching the fields. We assume that Lord Mortimer left the place in a state of shock perhaps. The car is damaged from a collision, apparently. Another car, an animal. We cannot say by now.”

Lord Aldridge leaned forward and fixed his gaze on Graves.

“You must find him very soon. Else, I would have to inform his mother. She’s 83. She’s not in good health. She’s fragile. Jeffrey’s her only son, her only relative. You must find him soon.”

Inspector Graves shifted uncomfortably again at Aldridge’s piercing look.

“We do what we can, Lord Aldridge,” he said, rising to his feet.

Aldridge nodded briefly. He stood and led Inspector Graves outside.

Graves took a deep breath and wiped the sweat from his forehead. The air outside was cool and fresh compared to the stifling air in the heated room.

From behind the curtains, Lord Aldridge watched Inspector Graves descend the stairs.

~~**~~

“Relax, Lord Mortimer,” Doctor Hensley said.

Lord Mortimer leaned back in his chair. He had taken off his sunglasses after Doctor Hensley had drawn the curtains.

“I’m still suffering from headaches,” he said.

“The accident escaped your memory. So did the two weeks that followed the accident. You were in a state of shock. I won’t press. Relax, Lord Mortimer.”

Lord Mortimer closed his eyes. It was silent in the room. He heard a clock ticking.

“I remember a day long ago when I was a child. I was eight or nine years old. It was a bright summer day. I was in the garden with my father. We were playing ball.”

“A peaceful image. Go further in time, Lord Mortimer.”

~~**~~

“You have not yet found Lord Mortimer,” Lord Aldridge said.

“I’m afraid we have not,” Inspector Graces said.

He looked around in the room. Nothing had changed. He looked at the chimney fire.

“It’s cold,” Lord Aldridge said. “It started to rain three days ago. It is still raining.”

“Yes,” Inspector Graves said. “We searched for traces. We searched the fields and the road with search dogs. We’re sure meanwhile that Lord Mortimer left the place by foot after the accident. No animal was involved in the accident, and no other car. Lord Mortimer must have lost control of his car. The car dashed against a tree. We assume, however, that he was not hurt seriously. We found no blood. I talked to a psychologist, an expert in traumatic stress. It’s fairly possible that Lord Mortimer left in a state of shock.”

“Pardon me, Inspector Graves. Two weeks have passed. You should have found a man wandering about the roads in a state of shock.”

“We assume that he was picked up by a car. We’re looking for this car and its driver. That’s what we do now.”

“Any trace? Any spark of hope to find him?” Lord Aldridge asked, rising to his feet. “He cannot have disappeared. Unless that said driver murdered him.”

He looked at Inspector Graves. His eyes pierced. Graves shifted uncomfortably.

“Is that what you’re thinking, Inspector Graves?”

“I’m absolutely sure that we will find him,” Inspector Graves said, rising to his feet.

He left the house and walked down the rain-drenched path. The roses blossomed. Lord Aldridge lit a pipe and watched Inspector Graves from behind the curtains.

~~**~~

“I can’t think of anything else,” Lord Mortimer said.

“No need to think of anything,” Doctor Hensley said. “Relax. Let your mind flow. Go further in time. Imagine you leave the house. You open the door and descend the stairs.”

“I can imagine this,” Lord Mortimer said.

He opened his eyes slightly and looked at Doctor Hensley.

“However, it’s not the day of the accident. It’s a cold and ugly day in March. The day Lord Aldridge and I left for Africa. I walked to the car. The driver opened the door. I looked back to the house and saw Lord Aldridge descending the stairs.”

Lord Mortimer fell silent.

“I’m afraid, Doctor Hensley, I cannot recall any other event.”

“You’re making progress,” Doctor Hensley said.

~~**~~

“I’m sorry for bothering you again, Lady Mortimer,” Inspector Graves said aloud since her hearing was impaired.

Lady Mortimer sat in a wheelchair on the veranda of her mansion. A maid servant placed a blanket over her knees and then went back into the house.

Lady Mortimer turned her blind eyes at Inspector Graves.

“Did we already meet?” she asked in a fragile voice.

Inspector Graves sat down in a chair. He looked around briefly. The mansion was old but well-kept. The garden was immaculate. He looked at Lord Mortimer’s mother. The old lady sat upright. Her dress was elegant. She wore a golden necklace and diamond earrings.

“I visited you only briefly the other day,” Inspector Graves said. “We were talking about your son. I heard he sent you a postcard?”

Lady Mortimer smiled.

“Christine must have told you. Yes, he sent me a postcard. Christine read it to me. He’s doing fine. He’s always so busy. But he will be visiting me soon. Would you like a glass of water? What’s your name?”

“I’m Inspector Graves,” Graves said, his eyes resting on her wrinkled face. “Thank you for your kind offer, Lady Mortimer. Christine already provided me with a drink.”

Lady Mortimer nodded briefly. Then she turned her head away. Her blind eyes looked into the distance.

“May I see the postcard, Lady Mortimer?” Inspector Graves asked kindly.

“What did you say?” Lady Mortimer asked, turning her head back to him. “Yes, of course. Christine will show it to you. What’s your name?”

“I’m Inspector Graves,” Graves said kindly. “It was a pleasure meeting you, Lady Mortimer. Unfortunately, I need to leave.”

“Jeffrey likes to play ball with his father. I love to watch them play,” Lady Mortimer said.

Graves looked at her for a second.

“He’s a bright boy,” he said.

Lady Mortimer smiled.

“He’s a handsome boy,” she said proudly. “He looks like his father, the same brown hair and green eyes.”

She leaned forward.

“Oh, he called me. Excuse me please...oh, I forgot, what’s your name?”

“I’m Inspector Graves,” Graves said. “I wish you a nice afternoon, Lady Mortimer.”

She nodded briefly, and then turned her head away. Inspector Graves entered the house. The maid servant awaited him.

~~**~~

“Relax, Lord Mortimer,” Doctor Hensley said.

“I’m still suffering from headaches,” Lord Mortimer said.

“You’re making progress,” Doctor Hensley said. “Your memories come back slowly. The shock is fading.”

“I remember now that I walked down the road for quite some time. It was early in the morning. A car picked me up. I gave the driver some money. He took me to London. I don’t remember why I wanted to go there. I took a room in that cheap hotel where Inspector Graves eventually found me.”

Lord Mortimer leaned forward.

“It is disquieting me. I do not remember the accident and I cannot remember why I took Lord Aldridge’s car early in the morning. I can only suspect that I wanted to drive to London. But for what reason, I do not know.”

Doctor Hensley folded his hands.

“More details may come to your mind as time goes by, Lord Mortimer. Don’t press for an answer.”

Lord Mortimer nodded.

“I can only speculate. Perhaps I wanted to visit my mother. She lives near London. But why did I leave early in the morning without informing Lord Aldridge?”

“A disquieting dream, perhaps,” Doctor Hensley said.

They rose and shook hands.

“I am grateful, Doctor Hensley. You helped me a so much. The motive for my action is still missing. But I do trust your advice. I won’t press for an answer.”

~~**~~

“Please, take a seat, Inspector Graves,” Lord Aldridge said.

He pointed at a chair in the parlour. Inspector Graves sat down. He looked around briefly. Lord Aldridge took a seat also. Lord Mortimer stood by the window and looked outside. He turned slowly and greeted the inspector.

“I apologize, Inspector Graves. I’m wearing sunglasses. I’m still suffering from headaches,” he said.

Inspector Graves nodded slightly. Lord Mortimer sat down. He and Lord Aldridge looked at Graves expectantly.

Graves cleared his throat.

“The case is closed. Our investigations and Doctor Hensley’s medical opinion confirm the progression of events on the day of the accident. Unfortunately, we were not able to find the driver of the car that took you to London, Lord Mortimer. We don’t consider it necessary since you were able to give evidence of what happened on that day.”

“He was a Frenchman and has probably returned to France,” Lord Mortimer said.

“From the point of view of the police it’s not entirely satisfactory. But, like I said, the case is closed. I wish you get well soon, Lord Mortimer. What are your plans for the future?”

Lord Aldridge and Lord Mortimer exchanged a brief look.

“We’ll emigrate,” Lord Aldridge said. “We’ll be leaving England for Argentina in a couple of weeks.”

He rose to his feet and smiled briefly. Inspector Graves stood and nodded at Lord Mortimer. Lord Mortimer returned a barely visible nod.

Inspector Graves walked down the path. It was the end of September. The rosebushes withered. Graves felt like he was being watched. He shook off the uncomfortable feeling.

Lord Aldridge turned away from the window. He looked at Lord Mortimer. Lord Mortimer took off his sunglasses and put them on the table. A smile played on his lips. Lord Aldridge gave him a pleased nod.

~~**~~

Inspector Graves looked around thoughtfully. It was his last day in the office. The office looked neat and tidy. Graves’s workmates had organized a farewell party. They were awaiting him. Graves spotted a folder on the floor under a shelf. Graves sighed. He took up the folder and opened it. Reported missing: Lord Jeffrey Mortimer. The case had been closed ten years ago. Graves shook his head slightly. Something had been missing. He had never found out about it. “Too late anyway,” Graves murmured and put the folder in a shelf. He left the room and joined his workmates.

One week later, Graves stood on board of a cruiser. He looked out at the Mediterranean Sea.

“I’ll be right there,” he said when his wife asked him to join her for lunch.

He looked at the island of Cyprus that disappeared in the distance.

“What a beautiful sight,” a man said next to him.

“Yes, it is,” Graves said, turning his head to the man.

Graves looked at him for a moment.

“I think I have seen you before,” he finally said.

The man studied Graves, and then held out his hand.

“George Drayton. You’re Inspector Graves. I remember you well.”

“Drayton,” Graves said, pondering.

“Yes, George Drayton. I cared for Lord Aldridge’s garden until he left for Argentina.”

“Drayton. George Drayton. I do remember. How unobservant. I apologize,” Graves said heartily. “I retired, by the way.”

“Ten years went by,” Drayton said. “I retired two years ago. I go on a holiday every year. I saved money.”

Graves nodded.

“Have you ever heard of Lord Aldridge?” he asked.

“No, I haven’t,” Drayton said. “Lord Aldridge and Lord Mortimer left shortly after the case was closed. They went to Argentina. They bought a ranch.”

“A ranch?” Graves asked in disbelief.

“Last what I heard,” Drayton said. “Lord Mortimer’s mother died only two weeks after he was found in London. She was old. And she was rich. She left her son a lot of money.”

Graves nodded.

“Did Lord Mortimer recover from his illness?”

“I guess so,” Drayton said. “He was suffering from headaches. He was wearing sunglasses until they left for Argentina. I helped them carry their luggage aboard. There he took off his sunglasses. For the first time I saw his eyes. Odd eyes. Violet eyes. It was kind of scary to see his odd eyes looking at me.”

A little girl pulled on Drayton’s hand.

“My granddaughter,” Drayton said and turned to the child.

Graves looked out at the Mediterranean Sea. He suddenly felt cold despite the ardent sun. Something had been missing. Graves realized that he had overlooked one thing.

“Lady Mortimer. She said that her son had green eyes,” Graves murmured.

Graves took a deep breath and wiped the sweat from his forehead. He recalled the day when he had first visited Lord Aldridge. The air outside had been cool and fresh compared to the stifling air in the heated room.

“It was a hot summer day in August,” Graves said to himself. “Why did he have a chimney fire?”

Graves felt very cold. His face was pale when he turned to Drayton again.

“Excuse me, just one more question. Do you remember? Lord Aldridge had a chimney fire on the day of the accident. Do you remember who cleaned the fireplace?”

Drayton pondered.

“Lord Aldridge himself. It was a bit strange. That’s why I remember. I offered to help him. I was the only one around in the house and the garden beside Lord Aldridge. The other servants had not yet arrived. But he insisted on doing it himself. I thought it was odd. He was a bit odd. He carried buckets to the rose garden and scattered the ashes. ‘Ashes to ashes,’ he said when I passed him with my pushcart.”

Drayton paused, thinking.

“He was odd. As was Mortimer. A maid servant later told me they were a couple. Just imagine. She said that Mortimer had waved to her when they had left for Africa. She said he behaved entirely different after his return. As if he was a different man. Lord Aldridge dismissed her the second day. Too many servants, he said. And Bob, the dairyman, later said that he had seen Aldridge and Mortimer arrive in a car the day before the accident. He approached them. But the driver of the car sent him away. He said he saw Aldridge and the driver embrace in the doorway after Mortimer had entered the house. Bob insisted on that. But Bob was a drinker.”

Drayton scratched his head. “I can’t say what happened to the driver. He was not around when I came to the mansion in the morning.”

“I suspect the driver had an accident on his way to London,” Graves said drily.

Drayton looked at him confused. The girl pulled on his hand again.

“After all, it was Lord Mortimer who came back from London, safe and sound, apart from his headaches and his memory loss,” Graves said.

“Yes. Good that you found him. We could have tea together. What do you think? My wife would enjoy your company,” Drayton said.

Graves nodded. “My wife and I’d be glad to.”

Drayton walked away.

Graves looked out at the Mediterranean Sea. “Ashes to ashes,” he murmured. “Lord Mortimer is dead. The fire in the fireplace August... Aldridge burned his body in the fire. And the driver took Mortimer’s place.” Graves looked up. The sun was high. He swallowed hard. “A blatant crime. And the two of them got away with it. What a fool I was.”

Graves gazed at the water. He felt deceived and defeated.

© 2009 Dolores Esteban

Story Discussion

Copyright © 2010 Dolores Esteban; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2009 - Winter - Deceptions Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 05/09/2011 03:13 PM, mskdm20 said:
I enjoyed reading this. You certainly have a talent for writing a mystery. :)
Thank you! I'm happy you enjoyed the story. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..