Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

No Ordinary Friendship - 1. No Ordinary Friendship

No Ordinary Friendship
by
Dolores Esteban


My name is Gordon. I’m thirty years old. I work with a lawyer. I think that I’m an ordinary man. I was on my way to the dentist when my whole life turned upside down.

I met him at a corner. He asked me to show him around in the city, since he had only recently arrived. I watched the traffic lights, ignoring him. But he continued talking to me in a very loud voice. He had an accent that I was not familiar with. He followed me when I crossed the road. Finally I turned to him and asked him to leave me alone. I spoke to him impatiently.

To my surprise, he smiled at me. I had a closer look at him. He had Asian features. However, something about him was disturbing me. I was not able to figure it out. It was just a feeling I had.

I looked at my watch and told him that I was in a hurry. He gave me a questioning look and pointed at the sun that was high in the sky.

"The day is not yet done," he said, smiling briefly.

"Listen," I said, "I have an appointment in about twenty minutes. I need to hurry. Else, I will be late."

I looked him up and down when he did not reply. He was dressed in jeans and a gray sweater. I saw he was barefoot. I gazed at his feet for a moment or two. He interrupted my thoughts with a giggle.

"I have to go," I said, turning away.

Then I looked back, just to notice that he had gone. I sighed and shook my head, before I quickly moved on.

I arrived at my dentist in time and entered the waiting room. The first thing I spotted was a pair of shoes on the floor of the room. The door opened. I turned around and saw the stranger I had met in the street. He gave no sign of recognition. I watched him pick up his shoes.

"Strange coincidence," I started.

He smiled and held out his shoes to me. I looked at him. He eagerly nodded.

"Those are not mine," I said. "I rather think they’re yours."

"I’m pretty sure that you are mistaken," the man said in a serious voice. I made a step back, and then left the room. I turned to the dentist’s receptionist.

"Can I help you?" the girl asked, raising an eyebrow.

I hesitated. "I’m fine," I finally said.

The door opened. The man walked toward me with his shoes in his hands.

"Those shoes are made for walking," he said.

The receptionist smiled. They both turned to me. I found that I disliked their grins.

"I think I better come back some other day," I said, turning to the door slowly.

From this day on, I met him daily. Sometimes he spoke to me. Sometimes he just looked at me and smiled. He always held his shoes in his hands. I finally gave up asking him why he did not put them on. I came to accept his odd behaviour. We became very good friends. His name is Akuma. He’s from South Korea.

I recently invited my mother for lunch. Akuma joined us at the table. I gladly did the introductions. My mother gazed at me. I was surprised to see tears in her eyes.

The same evening I moved to another apartment. It’s quiet there. There’s a beautiful garden. I saw a doctor every morning. We talked a lot. I enjoyed his company. I told him that I missed Akuma. My friend had stayed with me for a while, before he had left early one morning. I had watched him walk away. Strangely, I was not surprised to see that he had put on his shoes. Those shoes were made for walking.

I have not yet figured out where exactly Akuma came from and why he wanted to be with me. I think of him sometimes. But the memory is fading. I still think that I am an ordinary man.


~~**~~

This story is copyright © 2009 by Dolores Esteban. The characters, concepts, and plot are original, and are the property of the author. Distribution is prohibited without the author’s written consent.<br />
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..