Jump to content
    mcnc1966
  • Author
  • 14,104 Words
  • 580 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Candidate - 1. Chapter 1

This chapter flashes back to how it all began.

Chapter 1

The January night was crisp and cool, but the throngs of people rushing around the hotel suite made it feel stuffy. Lane Boggs was oblivious to the cacophony surrounding him. His gaze was fixed on a bank of televisions broadcasting every cable news channel in existence. Commentators offered their ideas and opinions on the events unfolding, each having a unique take on the situation. Their ideas were no source of comfort, however. It made Lane’s stomach tighten with nervousness.

‘How the hell did I get here?’ he wondered. ‘From department store manager to here in twelve years…who would’ve thought?’

Most of the humans scurrying about were too focused on their tasks to notice the look of agony on his face. They had their assigned duties and felt a pressure to perform them to perfection. One person did notice, though, and he was very concerned about Lane’s well being.

“Hanging in there?” Tony asked him.

The man’s touch on his shoulder was like a life preserver. It still amazed him that, after all these years, this man’s feather light touches sent jolts throughout his body. Placing his hand over the man’s, Lane sighed.

“I wish it was over already,” he lamented. “This whole scene isn’t what I pictured.”

Tony chuckled. “What were you expecting?”

“Not sure, but it certainly wasn’t this. I think I envisioned being surrounded by close friends and the man I adore. All these people certainly wasn’t what I had in mind.”

Tony squeezed his shoulder in sympathy, but knew they had an important talk coming. “Come with me,” he said, pulling Lane up and leading him to the suite’s oceanfront balcony.

The two men joined hands and gazed at the moonlight dancing over the choppy waves. In their years together, they knew when to talk and when to enjoy being together silently. This was the latter. For Lane, it was special because Tony was here to share perhaps the most momentous night of his life. For Tony, he was enjoying it because he knew these times would be rare if the night ended as he suspected it would.

“I’d get used to being surrounded by the masses if I were you. It comes with the territory, you know.”

Lane sighed, wondering again how he’d gotten here in the first place. Right now, he felt like grabbing Tony and returning to the house they’d shared in Palm Beach for the last six years. Unfortunately, that would mean walking away from the grueling work he’d put out over the last two years, something he knew his lover would never allow. Viewing the staffers through the large plate glass window, he knew what Tony said was total truth. Lane grasped his man’s hand, turned their bodies together, and engaged in the most passionate kiss he could muster.

“As long as you’re at my side, I think I could endure the fires of Hell,” he said, never breaking his lock on Tony’s eyes.

“If the fire is where we’re meant to be, count on me to follow you in the hottest flames, babe,” Tony replied. The couple joined in a fierce embrace, lost in their own little world. The perfect harmony of their fantasy was interrupted by a commotion inside the suite. Lane groaned, knowing whatever was going on would require his attention.

“Guess we better get in there,” he said with regret. Tony smiled, took his man’s hand, and then led them into the main room. The first thing that hit them was the extreme silence, the only sound being a reporter talking on the television. Lane noticed the looks of shock on his staff’s face.

“What’s up?” he asked Barry Fink, his campaign manager and closest friend.

The man rose and guided Lane to a seat in front of the screen. “Listen,” was all he said. Lane turned his attention to the duo of Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper.

“Once again, America,” Blitzer announced, “CNN predicts that Lane Boggs will handily carry the states of Nevada, Washington and California. Combined with his already impressive wins in the East and Midwest, the senator will clinch an insurmountable lead in electoral votes. Lane William Boggs, the junior senator from Florida, will become the forty seventh President of the United States and the first openly gay man to ever hold that post.”

The room erupted in joy, and Lane felt a gaggle of hands pat his back in congratulations. His gaze never wavered from the television, however.

“I never thought I’d see the day,” Anderson Cooper said emotionally, dabbing his eyes with a handkerchief.

‘Me either,’ Lane thought in wonder. The noise level of the group surrounding him dropped, catching his attention. He turned to regard the close-knit group, noting as many teary eyes as he did broad smiles. Barry Fink’s face was hard to read…maybe shock was what he saw, or maybe it was disbelief. A very uncharacteristic smile broke out across the eternal pessimist’s face as he turned to view the new President-elect.

“Any words of wisdom for the troops, Mr. President?” he said cheekily.

Lane’s eyes fanned across the group, taking a few quick moments to silently acknowledge each one. His gaze came full circle to Tony, the man he loved more than life itself and his rock. Taking Tony’s hand in his, he raised it to his mouth and placed a heartfelt kiss on its surface.

“HOLY SHIT!” were the only eloquent words he could muster to describe the historic victory.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Twenty nine year old Lane Boggs arrived at the local Macy’s Department Store, where he managed the House wares Department, in a foul mood. As a retail manager, his income was less than satisfactory and every penny counted. He resided in a small studio apartment on the east side of Fort Lauderdale, a place where parking was at a premium. The city council, always trying to find ways to alleviate their everlasting budget shortfall, decided to impose a very expensive parking duty on all its residents. For those that lived directly on the beach, the money was less than pocket change. The people who waited on the wealthy, like Lane, felt an almost unbearable sting from the significant fee. It was this fee that put Lane in his less than ideal state of mind, and he took out his frustration on his unwitting staff. By the time lunch rolled around, most of the crew was ready to spit nails.

Lane’s colleague and best friend, Carol Larson, watched the events unfold with worry. Her friend was one of the most magnanimous and levelheaded people she knew, but you wouldn’t know it watching him in action today. Something had to be done, and done immediately.

After informing the store manager that she and Lane would be departing for lunch, Carol set out to capture her prey. She’d known Lane since high school, so she also knew he wouldn’t go quietly. Still, he was usually unable to resist her persistent ways, and she was counting on today being no different. She found Lane verbally berating one of his part time employees, a woman in her early sixties. Whatever trivial error she made incensed her manager, and he was making his displeasure plain. Seeing Carol arrive, the woman’s eyes gave her a silent plea for relief, and she wasted no time moving in.

Standing directly behind Lane, she cleared her throat to garner his attention. He noted her presence with disdain, and returned to dressing down his employee. Carol grabbed his shoulder, forcibly turning him to face her. The look in her eyes said she was serious.

“Time for lunch,” she said authoritatively. Lane rolled his eyes in contempt.

“Not today,” he said. “I’ve got tons of work to do and my incompetent employees can’t seem to function without me supervising their every move!”

Carol ignored his inflammatory rhetoric, never wavering from her initial plan. “Lunch, Lane, now!” she barked.

Reluctantly, Lane nodded, but not before sneering at his cowering employee. “This isn’t over,” he told her before brushing past Carol and heading toward the exit into the mall. She trotted to catch up, but waited until they were out of the store before beginning her attack.

“You gonna tell me what’s up?” she asked once they’d moved away from the store.

“Other than dealing with an employee that wasn’t performing her duties, nothing’s up,” he replied confidently.

Carol scoffed. “Lane, we’ve known each other for a long time, and I know you better than you know yourself sometimes. You always take it out on others when you’re upset, and that was evident today. So, let me ask again. You gonna tell me what’s up or do I need to get serious about dragging it out of you?”

Lane sighed, and sat down on a bench they were passing. He thought for several moments before speaking. “You’re right, I am upset about something. It’s these new parking fees we have to pay. The city acts like all of us are rich folks that live in mansions on the beach. Shit, I was barely making ends meet before this. Now, I have no idea what I’m gonna do. I’m actually considering selling my car and relying on our anemic public transportation system.”

Carol listened intently, sympathizing with Lane’s plight. Fees like these were the exact reason she lived on the west side of town. She understood why Lane lived where he did, though. His apartment was smack dab in the middle of the so-called ‘gay’ neighborhood, and it was important for him to be around others like himself. It would have been simpler to move somewhere more affordable, but Carol knew suggesting that would be considered a cardinal sin. Instead, she listened to her best friend continue his tirade.

“Those birds on the council could give two shits about the common man, let alone a gay one. It makes me so angry that they ignore their constituent’s well being in favor of a privileged minority. If any one of them had a decent soul, they’d do something that would help ALL citizens of our community.”

Carol considered Lane’s word carefully, coming up with an idea that was either insane or brilliant. She decided to let him choose which one was true. “Then do something about it,” she said emphatically. “Instead of bitching to me, take action and rally others to your cause.”

Lane laughed uproariously. “Like I could pull that off! You’ve had some hair brained ideas in the past, Carol, but this one takes the cake!”

Her serious look never wavered, and brought Lane back to Earth. He looked at her curiously, unsure what she was suggesting he do. “What ya got in mind?”

Carol took a deep breath and plunged forward. “How about running for city council? You’re smart, passionate, unafraid to speak your mind, and very good looking. I think you’d be a shoo-in with the voters.”

Lane blushed furiously at the compliments, but felt very unsure about his friend’s suggestion. While he enjoyed a good political debate as much as the next man, exposing his life to that kind of public scrutiny was less than palatable. “C’mon, Carol, you can’t be serious! Let’s not forget that I’m gay, and that lends itself to a closet full of skeletons. Even if they’re not that big a deal, the public could see it differently.”

“Then air out your closet right away. If you don’t hide things, then your opponents can’t use them against you,” Carol added quickly. “Be a nice change to have a politician who has integrity from the get go.”

Lane became pensive, still unsure of the proposal. “If I was interested, and I’m not saying I am, how does someone even begin to enter the race?”

Carol laughed. “Don’t look at me, since I don’t have a clue either. I do know somebody who does, though. Do you remember Barry Fink?”

Lane did recall the skinny nerd he and Carol knew in high school. He also recalled that Barry was one of the few students who unconditionally supported him after his unexpected outing. “How could I forget him? I think the guy’s one in a million.”

“I think so too,” Carol said with a smile. “We’ve kept in contact over the years, and sorta dated on and off. The last six months have been an ‘on’ time, and we’ve decided to commit to each other. Barry works on Congressman Dan Reynolds’ staff, so I’m sure he knows the ins and outs of all this election stuff.”

Lane couldn’t help but giggle at Carol’s enthusiasm. “Tell ya what, if you set up a meeting with your Prince Charming, I’ll listen to what he has to say. Don’t get your hopes up, though. I have a feeling that there’s more to this than I care to get involved in.”

“All I ask is that you listen and consider what he says with an open mind. Maybe you’ll be able to bitch to people that can make changes once it’s over instead of whining to me!”

The two friends shared a hearty laugh and continued on to the food court for lunch. They chatted a bit more about the council idea as they walked back toward the store, agreeing that their farfetched idea might have some merit after all. The excitement of their banter died quickly when Lane came face to face with Stella Jameson, the elderly part time employee he’d been chewing out an hour before. With a heart full of guilt, he approached the tense woman.

“Mr. Boggs, I want to apologize for my poor performance today. I give you my word…” Lane silenced her with a raise of his hand.

“Stella, if anyone should be apologizing, it should be me. I was completely out of line and taking some frustrations out on my crew. You’re a valued member of the team and I hope you can see your way clear to forgiving me.”

The senior woman blushed, taken by the kind words her boss had expressed. In her best grandmotherly tone, she said, “Well, young man, it’s nice to have the old Lane back. I really do love working for you, so consider yourself forgiven.”

“Thank you, Stella. I don’t deserve it, but I’m still grateful. I promise to make it up to you.”

The elderly woman got a mischievous glint in her eye. “I’d consider us even if you’d finally agree to meet my grandson,” she said in her most innocent voice.

Lane stiffened, knowing he could hardly refuse after treating Stella the way he had. She might have been getting on in years, but her mind was as sharp as a tack. He tried unsuccessfully to think of a way out of his predicament, finally realizing he was stuck.

“Alright, you win,” he said in exasperation. Lane’s sexuality was common knowledge, and Stella had been trying to set him up with her grandson for months. She smiled with glee at her victory. “When?” he asked.

“If I’ve learned anything in my life, the most important is to strike while the iron’s hot. Are you free this evening?” she asked with her ever present grin.

Lane grinned as well. “Actually, Stella, I have a previous engagement this evening. I’m afraid that meeting tonight would be quite impossible.” He was thrilled to be dodging this bullet for a little while longer. His happiness was short lived, however.

“We can postpone those plans until tomorrow,” Carol announced. She’d been observing the entire chain of events, waiting for the proper moment to jump in. Lane cast her a look of death when her words finished.

“Then it’s settled,” Stella said happily. “Why don’t you stop by my house around eight tonight, then you two can go off your own from there.”

Ever the tactful human, Lane humbly agreed. He was wise enough to know when to fold, and this was definitely one of those times. He retreated to lick his wounds after acquiescing, and to give Carol the tongue-lashing she deserved.

“What the hell were you thinking?” he asked once they’d passed out of Stella’s hearing range. “You know how I feel about blind dates!”

“Oh, come off of it, Lane!” Carol chastised. “You and I both know that you’ve set your standards way too high for any mere mortal to reach. If Stella and I hadn’t pushed, you’d never allow yourself to be put into a situation where you might meet someone wonderful.”

“That is so not true! What about Paul?” He regretted dredging up that name the moment it left his lips, and hunkered down for the coming onslaught.

“Paul? You can’t be serious, Lane! If you consider that a relationship, then you’re more fucked in the head than I thought you were. Besides, that was high school for Christ’s sake!”

Lane blanched, very aware of how long he’d been single. He conveniently omitted the string of nameless men he’d shared his bed with since then, blissfully unaware that Carol knew about most of them. He was about to find out exactly how well she knew him.

“And don’t even try to count the twenty or so boy toys you’ve screwed over the years. I know you couldn’t remember half their names, so they don’t count!”

He was speechless, a first in their history together. ‘How the hell did she know?’ he wondered. The answer was so scary that he didn’t bother asking the question. He dropped his shoulders and let out a long breath.

“I don’t know if I’m capable of being a good date, let alone a possible boyfriend.”

Carol smiled and put her arm around his shoulders. “Do you recall how we met?” Lane remembered as if it were just yesterday. Carol had a huge crush on him, practically stalking him at school for weeks. Everywhere he went, she wasn’t far behind. When word of his sexuality was broadcast for all to see, it broke her heart. She confronted Lane in a mass of tears, demanding to know if the rumors were true. When he confirmed their accuracy, the weight of the situation hit home and he became woeful as well. The two clutched each other fiercely, eventually leaving school grounds so they could continue talking. That conversation terminated in the wee hours of the following morning, but set the stage for their lifelong friendship. They’d discussed many times exactly how in love Carol remained with him, even though his affections would never be returned in the same fashion.

“Something about you made me fall harder with every minute we spent together. It took me years to break your spell, and I still have a thousand ‘what ifs’ I wonder about. My point is that you must have some redeeming qualities about you for me to pine over you like I did, you big dummy!”

Lane stepped forward and wrapped Carol up in a tight hug. He still felt horribly guilty that he couldn’t love this amazing woman in the way she desired and deserved. “Alright, you have my word I won’t stand him up.”

Carol grinned, kissed his cheek, and left to complete her workday. Lane attempted to do the same, but met with limited success. His mind was preoccupied with two things…his impending date and running for city council. Determined not to let anything weigh him down, he pushed all non-work related thoughts from his mind and trudged on through the day. A few last minute snags kept him in the store longer than he’d hoped, so he didn’t arrive home until six thirty.

His mood was once again foul because it took forever to find a parking space. ‘What use is paying for the right to park when there aren’t any spaces available?’ he thought angrily as he entered his tiny apartment. The place wasn’t much, but it was all he could currently afford. A kitchenette area, the living/dining area, and his sleeping area were all crammed into a room that was the size of most bedrooms. The only true separate room was the bathroom, but it was so tiny that Lane could almost touch both walls when standing in the middle of it. Realizing the lack of available time, he hurriedly stripped and rushed into the shower.

Getting home late was a blessing in disguise. It took away any time to think of a way to renege on his promise to meet this man. Instead, he struggled with what to wear, choosing a pair of stylish jeans, a tight red t-shirt, and his favorite flip-flops. He spent longer than usual fussing with his hair, running out of the apartment with just enough time to reach Stella’s at the agreed upon hour. His nervousness rose as got closer to his destination.

Once there, he gathered all of his resolve and trudged to the front door. A sleek BMW sedan was parked beside Stella’s Lincoln Town Car, making Lane’s fifteen-year-old Honda Civic look more like the eyesore it really was. A light sheen of sweat covered his back as the older woman burst through the door and greeted him with a hug on the front sidewalk.

“I’m glad you kept your word,” she said, the excitement in her voice evident. “Come with me and I’ll introduce you to Tony.” It occurred to Lane as they made their way into the house that this was the first time he’d actually heard the man’s name. It had a nice ring to it.

Stella brought them into the living room, where a handsome man rose to greet them. The sight of him took Lane’s breath away, and he found himself at a loss for words. Instead, he stared wide-eyed while his grandmother made the introductions.

“Lane Boggs, meet my grandson, Tony Meredith.”

Two hands joined in greeting, but neither said a word. Their eyes simply remained locked on one another. Lane appraised the dish before him. Tony was very near his own height of six foot three. His hair was strawberry blond (at least that’s what Lane called it) and was long enough to rest on the man’s shoulders. He was quite thin, not in a starving child way, but in a jogger or swimmer kind of way. He wore a button down, short sleeve shirt that was left open with a matching t-shirt beneath. The designer jeans clung to his body in all the right places, revealing a shapely ass and a hint of ample bulge. His skin was pale, and had freckles scattered about haphazardly. The most striking feature, though, was the eyes…a vibrant green that was soul piercing. By the time he realized that Tony was also wearing flip-flops, he’d been staring for a while and still hadn’t let go of the man’s hand.

“Shit, sorry, I’m Lane,” he said with embarrassment.

“So my grandmother said,” the kind voice replied. “I’m Tony, but I think we’ve already figured that part out.” He let loose a smile that sent thrilling chills down Lane’s spine. There was no doubt now, he was captivated. Lane snickered, as much in nervousness as appreciation. Stella, watching the obvious attraction between ‘her’ men unfold, motioned for them to sit, and then filled three glasses from a bottle of white wine she’d set out earlier.

“I hear my grandma works for you,” Tony said after his first sip of wine. “I bet that can be interesting.”

“She’s not all THAT bad,” Lane kidded. “Truthfully, she keeps me in line, something I need quite often.”

It was Tony’s turn to laugh this time. “I think we all need someone like that in our lives. For me, it’s Sheila, my secretary.”

Lane was intrigued with that revelation. “Secretary? Exactly what kind of work do you do?”

“You are looking at the youngest partner at the law firm of Houston and Shahady,” Stella said with pride. The gushing made Tony blush, something that endeared him to Lane all that much more. He went into damage control mode quickly, though.

“C’mon, grandma, it’s not that impressive,” he countered. “I got lucky, that’s all.”

“Nonsense,” Stella scolded. “You earned it and you know it annoys me when you don’t feel proud of your accomplishment.” Tony’s blush deepened, causing Lane to chuckle. Modesty was a definite turn on for him.

“How about you?” Tony directed toward Lane. “Gram says you rose in the ranks pretty quickly yourself.” It was Lane’s turn to blush now.

“Not really,” Lane countered. “Our manager left unexpectedly, and they promoted me because I was the only one with a college degree.”

“Now who’s being modest?” Tony kidded. He already knew, through his grandmother, that Lane was promoted because he showed drive and a willingness to take risks in succeeding. It was a story Stella recounted many times in her drive to bring them together.

For the next hour, the trio gabbed about nothing in particular and polished off the wine. They munched on finger foods while discussing life in Fort Lauderdale, politics, the weather, music, and a range of other disjointed subjects. Lane was fascinated with Tony’s extreme knowledge of any topic he discussed. The man was clearly intelligent, very articulate, and unbelievably gorgeous. Stella finally pushed things to a close, excusing the two men to continue their evening elsewhere so she could go to bed early. She wasn’t the least bit tired, but things were going well enough that she felt her interference was no longer required. The boys hugged her good night and adjourned to a nearby pizza parlor, where they remained until it closed. The night ended with a polite kiss and a promise to meet again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Barry Fink sat at his desk pondering his meeting the previous evening. He reluctantly agreed to meet Carol’s friend, but only because he adored her and wanted to make her happy. The night was a pleasant surprise, however. Lane Boggs turned out to be well spoken, able to keep his frustrations under control, and come up with some well thought out ideas. It also helped that he was good looking and capable of being immensely charming. The two men outlined what was needed in order to run for city council. They discussed his sexuality at length, and Barry was suitably impressed with his candor. Not many politicians could overcome being openly homosexual, but he had every confidence that Lane would waltz through it effortlessly. He also saw a future in the young man, one that he intended to discuss that morning with his employer.

Dan Reynolds had served in Congress for twenty-six years, and he’d grown tired of the rat race that was Washington, D.C. He’d thought of retiring for several years, but refused to do so until a competent successor could be found. The party hadn’t produced a capable challenger in quite some time, so he remained in office despite an overwhelming desire for a different life. Things had changed, though. His wife, Emily, was diagnosed with terminal cancer several months ago, and he was determined to be at her side at the end of his current term. This time, he would go whether a successor had been found or not. Barry Fink had been brought on board to scour the political landscape to find the person who could keep the seat in party hands. Maybe, just maybe, that person was now a reality. Congressman Reynolds entered the office, and took a seat after the obligatory greetings.

“I’ll get right to the point, sir,” Barry began. “I may have found a person of interest.”

“That’s high praise coming from you,” the congressman retorted. “What can you tell me about him?”

Barry leaned back in his desk chair. “Name’s Lane Boggs, late twenties, department manager at Macy’s, USF graduate, political novice.”

Congressman Reynolds peered over his half glasses at Barry. “You can do better than that.”

“He’s good looking enough to appeal to both sexes, very articulate, passionate without being overbearing.”

“But…” the congressman added.

Barry grinned. ‘No pulling the wool over this dog’s eyes,’ he thought. “He’s gay.”

Dan Reynolds considered the implications of Barry’s revelation. Homosexuality was the political kiss of death, but he was intrigued as to why Barry thought this man was D.C. material.

“Go on,” he urged.

“Call it a hunch, but I think he’d come away from the issue unscathed. He was very forthright about his past, and there was nothing surprising, no jealous ex-lovers or any of that nonsense. He’s been promiscuous in the past, but not overly so. I can’t explain why I think this is our guy, but I do. He’s gonna run for the city council this year.”

Congressman Reynolds rubbed his chin as he considered what Barry said. Getting out was a necessity now, so leaving a potential stone unturned was unconscionable. Whatever reservations he had about this mystery man were banished to the back of his mind. “Help prep him for the council race and set up a few meetings. Let’s introduce him around and see what the reaction is. If this guy’s as good as you say he is, we’ll broach the subject of congress around Christmas.” With that, the man rose, shook Barry’s hand and left for his own office. Barry smiled, looking forward to presenting Lane Boggs to the public.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lane refilled Tony’s wine glass as they chatted over the fettuccine alfredo he made them for dinner. This was their fifth ‘date,’ but the first time either had visited one of their homes. Lane initially resisted the idea of inviting Tony over, but decided to gauge his reaction to the humble abode. The man wasn’t fazed in the least, another positive point in his favor. Tonight was the night Lane chose to announce his council plans.

“Can I ask you something?” Lane said tentatively.

“I may not answer, but sure,” Tony said cryptically.

“Have you ever considered running for public office?”

The answer was fast and definite. “Never! I couldn’t imagine opening my life up to that kind of scrutiny. I respect those who can, but I’ve never had a desire to be associated with it.”

Lane’s heart sunk, but he pressed on. “What about dating someone who does?”

Tony’s eyebrow shot in up in curiosity. “That depends on who I’m dating. At this point, I’m not sure I’m dating anyone.”

The bold statement caused Lane to recoil. He really did like Tony, a lot! It was his old fears that kept him from admitting he wanted to spend as much time as possible, up to and including the rest of his life, with this wonderful man. The time was upon him now, though, the time he’d choose to let Tony in or lose him forever. The latter was not a possibility he was willing to consider.

“Is that what you want?” he asked meekly. Tony sighed and scooted his chair closer to Lane. He took a hold of his hand, bringing it to his mouth for a small kiss.

“I want nothing more, but I’ve been holding back because I can tell you’re petrified. Lane, I wanna be exclusive with you, build a relationship that defies the odds. It takes two to tango, though.”

Lane felt tears building in his eyes. Instead of responding verbally, he grabbed Tony’s head and locked them together in an urgent lip lock. He prodded his victim’s lips, and gained immediate entry into his mouth. The tongue dance began in earnest, but became more urgent with each passing second. When one attempted to slow, the other moved in harder, renewing the flames of passion between them. Finally breaking to take in much needed air, the pair giggled like children as they looked at each other in adoration. Tony cupped Lane’s face in his hand, leaning in to place a series of pecks on his forehead.

“I wouldn’t mind,” he said.

Lane looked at him in confusion. “You wouldn’t mind what?”

“Dating someone who ran for public office. Kind of sexy when I think about being attached to someone so publicly important.”

Lane laughed, and then pulled Tony to his feet. Pulling him along while he locked the door and turned off the lights, they ended up on his well-worn bed, where they shared a pleasure greater than either of them had ever experienced. When Lane awoke the next morning, he was happy to see Tony’s naked form still lying beside him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dan Reynolds watched the election returns with interest. With only thirty percent of the polls reporting, it was obvious he would trounce yet another opponent. He turned his attention to another race, one much smaller in significance but key to his future. His fingers drummed impatiently as he waited for the ticker to give an update. After what seemed like hours, the figures he was looking for flashed and brought a smile to his face.

Dante (R) 22%
Boggs (D) 78%--Projected Winner

The congressman poured himself several fingers of single malt scotch, and then picked up the phone. While he waited for an answer, he took a substantial pull on the drink, enjoying the warming sensation it brought to his tired body. After several rings, a polite woman answered.

“Hello, Angie, it’s Dan Reynolds. Is the governor available?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Pandemonium broke out among the small group of friends gathered at Lane and Tony’s place. The campaign was run professionally and capably by Barry Fink, who greatly admired his candidate more every day. It was tenuous at the start. The opposition harped on the sexuality issue, but Lane stood tough. As opposed to stooping to their level, he admitted everything and presented concrete ideas for more responsible fiscal management in the city government. His ideas struck a chord with the voters, and other candidates began echoing his sentiments. In what was considered a mandate, all that supported his proposed changes were swept into power, leaving the mayor a lame duck. It was a defining moment in his budding political career, but the real work was soon to begin. His integrity would force him to take action on every proposal he’d made, or be up front with his constituents when the facts showed those changes would do more harm than good. For now, though, it was perfectly acceptable to take time out for a small celebration.

“May I have your attention please,” Tony said while tapping a spoon on a glass. “I’d like to make a toast. To Councilman Lane Boggs, the best friend, lover and local government representative anyone could ask for!”

The friends echoed the sentiment and cooed with glee when Lane and Tony kissed passionately for all to see. It didn’t take long for the party to die down, soon leaving Lane, Tony and Barry alone in the beachfront condo.

“Not bad, Boggs,” Barry commented. “Congressman Reynolds was most impressed with you and your sizeable win. He thinks you’ve got a major future in government service.”

“Thank him for me, Barry,” Lane said, snuggling in closer to his lover. “He was an infinite help as the campaign moved forward.”

Barry grinned. “You can tell him yourself. He’s invited you and Tony to join him for lunch in a private dining room tomorrow at one. Seems you and he have things to discuss, and he would never think of leaving your partner out of it.”

The couple looked at each other in amazement, stunned that someone as important as Congressman Dan Reynolds would want to talk to them. Sure, they’d met months ago, and Lane often noticed one of his lackeys present when he gave a speech or attended a fundraising dinner. It didn’t make it any easier to try and figure out what he might want with the two of them.

Before Lane could inquire further, Tony spoke up. “We’ll be there.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*

The River Club was the most exclusive organization in Fort Lauderdale. To be a member here, you either had to be obscenely wealthy or someone of great importance. Dan Reynolds met both criteria. In the 1950’s, he and his wife began a store that sold quality clothing for middle class men and women at very reasonable prices. The first location did so well that they opened another six months later. Soon, investors began inquiring about franchise opportunities. After researching the ins and outs of the process, and developing an agreement that allowed the parent company to remain firmly in control, independently owned locations began opening all over the country. Ten years later, stores opened in Europe, Canada, Asia, and South America. Over ninety percent of locations flourished, bringing tremendous wealth to Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds. The business became large enough that it ate into any social time they desired, preventing long holidays and family vacations for years. To counter that, Dan sold the company at a huge profit a year later.

Dan and Emily spent the next 5 years happily raising their twin daughters. They did enough traveling to more than atone for the years of missed family time. As the girls grew up, went to college, and eventually started families of their own, the couple grew restless. At the suggestion of a lifelong friend, he plunged headlong into the world of politics, both he and Emily finding the experience more than fulfilling. Dan’s views and skillful maneuvering became legendary, as did the parties Emily held at their Arlington estate. That time was over now. The only woman he ever loved was doomed to dying a slow, painful death.

Emily opted to take one round of chemotherapy and radiation to try to prolong her life. The brief respite should have been enough to keep her alive until the end of her husband’s term. It didn’t work out that way, however. The treatments were ineffectual, and doctors predicted that she’d be gone by the end of the following year. Dan wanted to abandon his bid for reelection, but Emily wouldn’t hear of it. She reasoned that there was enough time left to persuade the governor to appoint a person of their choice to complete Dan’s term. That same person could carry on the legacy of responsible leadership Dan hoped he’d built. Time would be the ultimate judge of that.

Meanwhile, Lane and Tony donned their finest suits and shaved more carefully than normal. Climbing into Tony’s BMW, they drove to The River Club and arrived a few minutes before the appointed hour. A tuxedo-clad valet took the car away while another employee escorted them to the second level, which housed the private dining suites. A cherry paneled door on their left opened, revealing a grinning Dan Reynolds already on his feet with an extended hand.

“Councilman Boggs, Counselor Meredith, please join me,” he said with genuine affection. “It’s wonderful to see both of you again.” The three men shook hands and offered their drink orders to the waiting attendant. Small talk about nothing consequential occurred until the waiter returned with the drinks and left them alone in the well appointed room. Dan came to the point in a hurry.

“First off, let me congratulate you on your extraordinary win councilman. In all my years of government service, I’ve never seen anyone decimate an incumbent like that their first time out.”

Lane beamed with pride at the congressman’s praise. He didn’t see it as quite the event others did, but he knew better than to belabor the point.

“Question is,” Dan continued, “what’s next? Politics is a game of preparing for the next conquest, councilman. So let me ask you again…what’s next?”

Lane looked at Tony, noting he was bewildered by the question as well. The ink was barely dry on his first win. It seemed pretentious to be thinking about another so soon.

“I don’t think I can answer that right now, Congressman. I mean, I just got onto the city council. I feel like it’s a bit premature to be considering anything else at the moment.”

Reynolds grinned at the two young men before him. “I can appreciate your sentiment, but I’m afraid I don’t have the luxury of time on my side. Why don’t we cut to the chase and I’ll explain why you’re here. Then, we can discuss it at length. I must have your assurance that what we talk about remain in this room for reasons that will become abundantly clear.”

Lane and Tony looked at each other momentarily, and then nodded in agreement.

“Nearly fifty years ago, I met an amazing woman who I fell madly in love with and married. We raised two wonderful daughters together, built and sold a major business, then entered the public arena to serve the people of our district. Emily was the rock that stood by me as we rose to the top. Now, though, it’s my turn to return the favor. My wife has terminal cancer and isn’t expected to survive for much longer. I’ve decided to resign from my position in a few months, and the governor has agreed to appoint you to fulfill my term. After that, I hope you’ll run for the seat yourself.”

The men stared at each other in silence for several moments before Lane broke it with loud laughter. “You can’t possibly be serious, congressman! I haven’t begun my city council term and you want me to replace you when you retire? The idea is preposterous!”

“On the contrary, the idea is perfect, young man,” a female voice countered. The men rose in deference, only to be motioned back in their seats by the stately looking Emily Reynolds. It was obvious that the treatments had taken their toll, but she was still Washington’s ‘Grande Dame.’ An almost regal aura surrounded the woman as she, too, took her seat at the table.

“My apologies for interrupting, gentlemen, but my husband’s intentions are far from insane. I recall a man twenty-four years ago, that went to the capital full of vim and vigor, yet short on the inner workings of government. He learned, we learned, and I like to think we’ve made a positive difference for all Americans. Now, I need him at my side, and the country needs a person that will take up the mantle for the next generation. Councilman Boggs, we agree that you’re just such a man.”

Lane looked at Tony, seeing nothing but complete confidence in his eyes. Whether he would admit it or not, that was the moment he decided to accede to the Reynolds’ wishes. “Tell me more about what you’ve got in mind.”

“It’s pretty simple,” the congressman began. “You take your council post fulltime, and yes, that means leaving your job. The party has duties you can perform for pay so your income will be supplemented. We can’t have our rising stars starving, after all. We’ll make arrangements for some higher profile speaking engagements and put you out on the fundraising circuit to increase your visibility. In three months or so, you’ll be a well known man around here.”

Lane looked to Tony once again for support, becoming uneasy with what he knew needed to be said. “Before we go any further, we need to address the sexuality issues. I’m gay, totally out and have no intention of returning to the closet for any reason.”

“Spoken by a man truly in love,” Emily added with a warm smile. Lane and Tony blushed furiously, having never said the actual words to one another. Both of them figured that after living together for the months they had, it was understood. Hearing it broadcasted so loudly caught them off guard.

Dan Reynolds didn’t bat an eye. “I think you handle it just like you did in this campaign. Take away its weapon status and the issue dies. It won’t ever go away, but it won’t be as viral as it could be.”

“You’re a good man, with a caring partner. The public will see that. Vance Pemberton of Massachusetts is gay, and he’s one of the party’s most powerful members. You do this, and I see you going much farther than a man like him ever thought possible,” Mrs. Reynolds said.

Tony grasped Lane’s hand under the table in a show of support. The kind gesture was acknowledged with a pleased look.

“No disrespect intended, Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds, but could I have a few days to think about all this. It’s gonna take me some time to sort everything out.”

“Take whatever time you need, and call Barry or me with any concerns you have,” Dan said as he handed Lane a card with his personal contact information on it.

“Thank you, Congressman and Mrs. Reynolds. If you’ll excuse us now, I think we should get going.”

Tony and he said their goodbyes, and then quickly made their way toward the main exit. Thankfully, the BMW was waiting and ready to spirit them away. Tony tipped the valet and began the drive home.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

The men lay in bed naked, tangled up and enjoying a cigarette in post coital bliss. Neither said much, preferring to let their skin-to-skin contact say what needed to be said. Tony eventually broke the silence.

“Emily Reynolds was right, you know.”

“Right about what?” Lane asked

He leaned up on elbow so he could look his lover in the eye. “I am a man in love, a deeper love than I ever thought possible.”

His heart dropped when he felt Lane’s body shift, but he continued. “You don’t have to say or feel it in return, but I do love you, Lane Boggs, and I hope we’re together forever.”

It was silent over the next few seconds while Lane considered his reply. “I’m probably gonna sound like a moron, but I love everything about you too, Tony Meredith. I should have said it a while ago, but I was too chicken shit to let myself go. I think I knew I loved you by our second date, and I let my pride stop me from telling you that you’re the most important person in my life, period!”

Tears fell down their cheeks as the emotion of the moment overtook them. The men wrapped one another up; clutching each other like their lives depended on it. Then a love filled kiss began, quickly escalating to a plane of passion they’d been afraid to visit previously. Two hours, and a fresh cigarette, later, the happy couple once again basked in the glow. Lane was unusually quiet, though.

“Penny for your thoughts, baby,” Tony said softly. Lane extinguished his butt, smoking being a luxury he only indulged at some parties and after wonderful sex.

“I’m just going over everything Reynolds said today. Part of me is really excited and honored that he’d consider me capable of succeeding him. A bigger part of me feels like this thing is gonna take over our lives and spiral out of control.”

Tony sighed. “I know what ya mean, but I can’t let you walk away from the chance of a lifetime, Lane. We love each other, and, together, we’ll muddle through. It’s not gonna be easy, but we can do it.”

“I’m scared, Tony. If any of this came between us, I’d never forgive myself.”

“Can I ask you a question?” Lane shifted so he could look his lover in the eye.

“Anything you want, babe.”

“Do you want this? I mean, do you REALLY want this?”

Lane pushed up so his back was against the headboard and brought his knees to his chest. It was a question he’d asked himself repeatedly since he agreed to run for the city council. The answer, however, was perfectly clear.

“Yes, I want it badly. I think I can make a difference, even if it’s only minute.”

Tony smiled broadly and leaned forward to peck Lane’s lips. “I was hoping you’d say that. It’s settled then…we put everything we’ve got into serving the public good.”

“We?” Lane asked in confusion.

“You don’t think you’re doing this alone, do ya? Somebody has to be there to coordinate efforts and make sure we adhere to the maze of campaign laws.”

“I can’t ask you to do that, honey. You have a career you’ve worked hard to build. I can’t let you give that up to further mine.”

“Well, let’s just say I have that under control. Bart and I have discussed this at length, and he’s all for me joining your effort. After all, it’s free publicity for the firm and I’m sure they’ll try and capitalize on it.”

Bart was the senior partner in Tony’s law firm. He and Lane had met for the first time at the victory celebration held for the campaign staff.

“But…” Tony silenced him by pressing their lips hard together.

“No buts, babe, because I wanna do this as much as you do. Besides, there’s no way you’re talking me out of it and that’s that!”

Lane smiled, touched to his core by his partner’s willingness to join their lives so closely together. It amazed him that he could be so in love with another human, and he was determined to give him everything he had to give and more. With that pleasant thought at the top of his mind, he curled up against his man’s chest and fell into a restful slumber.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Three days later, Lane called Congressman Reynolds and accepted his offer. He resigned his position at Macy’s, and was sent off to join the city council with a huge celebration put on by his former employers. The party also brought him on as a consultant to advise them in LGBT issues, a subject he became very passionate about. It also required that he begin addressing various groups, allowing him to begin building a base of core supporters that would aid in funding his future campaigns. Barry Fink became his primary advisor, as well as a trusted friend. He and Carol often spent weekends with Lane and Tony. Dining, dancing, movies, plays and many other activities bonded the quartet together as a unit.

The city council was not as wonderful as expected, though. Lane was appalled at the number of special interest groups that seemed to suck his fellow freshman members into their web. Nearly every idea he proposed became entangled in a web of studies or committees, and often led to petty squabbles. He began to lose the fire he felt at the beginning, but Tony, Barry and Carol would rally around him to reignite the flame.

The parking fee issue, the same one that brought about his run for the council, was his first peek into the shady side of public service. An outside contractor, Magnolia Parking Corp, submitted a proposal to operate all city parking facilities and motor vehicle offices. Buried within their two hundred page submission was a proposal to increase all fees by a minimum of sixty percent. While this meant more revenue for both the city and the company, it was sure to be despised by the people being hurt by the increased cost. Lane was vehement in his opposition to the proposal, and was surprisingly joined by two of his colleagues.

To try to mollify the detractors’ stance, the mayor and his cronies at Magnolia invited the entire council and their staffs to the company’s retreat on Key Largo for a weekend of fun in the sun. It was billed as a ‘get to know each other’ event being graciously paid for from private coffers. The whole thing smelled fishy to Lane, and he made no plans to attend.

Sitting in his office, writing a response in opposition to Magnolia’s bid, he received a call from Dan Reynolds.

“Congressman, it’s nice to hear from you again,” Lane said enthusiastically. Over the last few months, he and Dan had grown close enough to consider themselves friends as well as colleagues.

“Always nice to talk to you too, Lane,” he replied with a grin in his voice. “I hope I’m not interrupting anything important.”

Lane caught the serious tone in his voice. “You’re never interrupting, sir. What can I do for you?”

“I was wondering if you and Tony were free for dinner with the Mrs. And me tonight.”

This was their code for setting up a time to discuss something very important. “We’re always available to join you and Mrs. Reynolds. Seven o’clock at the usual place sound good?”

“See you then,” he said, and then hung up.

Lane rushed through the rest of his work and then left his office for the day. Once in the car, he asked Tony to head home so they could join the Reynolds’ as soon as possible. The time set was merely a decoy in case unwanted ears were listening in.

The pair met at home, quickly donning shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops before heading to the southeast side of town. They came to a stop at Marina Bay, a club where the Reynolds’ yacht was moored. It had been decided early on that a cruise along the coast was an ideal place to go over matters of a sensitive nature well away from prying eyes. Lane and Tony strode the familiar path until they found themselves sitting in the salon of the decked out craft. Barry and Carol had joined the group as well.

Once their journey was well underway, Congressman Reynolds brought them right to business.

“How do you stand on this Magnolia Parking situation?” he asked Lane, causing the man to chuckle.

“I didn’t think there was a soul left who had any doubt about that.”

Dan leveled a calculating stare at the budding politician. “My sources tell me they’ve planned a junket down to their place in the Keys. Did you plan to attend?”

“I have no intention of doing so, sir. Attending that function feels corrupt to me, and it’s the kind of perquisite that gives public servants a bad name. It’ll come back to haunt everyone there down the road.”

The elder statesman smiled. “I quite agree, but I think you should go. There’s ways you can protect your integrity and still attend. The experience will be a sound education in everything that’s wrong with government today.”

“Forgive me, sir, but have you lost your mind? These people are crooked as can be, and associating with them would be suicide.”

“Calm down, and listen, Lane,” Barry urged. “You’re right…this whole thing is about payoffs and has scandal written all over it. Nevertheless, let’s consider this logically. If you and Tony drove yourselves down, stayed in a hotel room you paid for, and made sure you stayed no longer than an hour, things should be fine. We could even arrange to have you spotted in a public place at a time when everyone would know the party’s in full swing.”

Tony, concerned about his lover’s well being, asked the next question. “How can you be sure that Lane wouldn’t be caught up in the flood, should this thing blow up?”

“We can’t,” Dan answered frankly. “All we can hope is that he gains enough ammunition against others so he can leverage his position. Plus, I think taking the steps Barry mentioned would provide insulation against most threats.”

“Most is not all, Dan,” Tony retorted. “Lane’s gone to painstaking lengths to protect his image and integrity. One wrong move and that’s gone.”

“How about a sealed affidavit?” Barry suggested. “Both of you make a written statement of everything that happens and entrust it to a neutral party with instructions to release it should any accusations be leveled.”

Tony nodded at Lane, satisfied with the proposed solution. He couldn’t help feeling uneasy about the coming event, however. Lane’s conscience was bothered as well, but he trusted Dan Reynolds to steer him down the right path. Attending the event was never in question once he suggested it.

“I’ll go on one condition,” Lane said. “If things get dicey, then the powers that be come rushing to our defense, complete with legal staffs ready to defend one or both of us.”

Congressman Reynolds and Barry looked at one another and nodded in agreement. It was a risk, sending Lane into shark-infested waters, but it was time he knew what to look for when questionable situations arose. With that settled, the rest of the cruise went very pleasantly and the six adults became an even closer group.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tony and Lane got on I-95 around ten in the morning, headed to the event hosted by Magnolia Parking. Both were apprehensive about attending and even considered wearing wires under their clothing. In the end, Barry kept them rational and the super spy idea went out the window. The air in the car filled with tension as they drove on to a fate unknown.

“Hey,” Tony said as he massaged Lane’s inner thigh. “You okay?”

A held breath blew from his lips. “Yeah, but I’m worried. I feel like a lamb being led to a slaughter.”

“I can relate, but I gotta believe that Dan Reynolds wouldn’t have suggested this if he wasn’t confident we’d be alright. It seems like he knows something we don’t, though.”

“I get that feeling too and it makes me very nervous. Please don’t drift from my side, babe. As long as you’re with me, I feel like we’ll survive this with only a few minor bruises.”

Tony grasped Lane’s hand in his, and planted a kiss on his lover’s cheek. “That, my love, you can count on,”

The tension eased and the men bantered lightly for the remainder of their drive. They checked into their hotel, a modest Hampton Inn, and took a few minutes to change into clothing appropriate for an afternoon in the sun. Gathering all of their nerve, they set out to join the festivities at Magnolia’s compound.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sol Stein was a maverick in Corporate America. He’d become a master at consolidating fragmented industries, and then applying ruthless financial discipline to increase free cash flow. Industries ranging from laundromats to movie theaters were affected by his maneuvers, and the effect on employment was generally negative. Cost control became the major focus, often at the expense of expansion and innovation. The formula increased his wealth substantially, and gave him access to friendly politicians across the country. The government of Fort Lauderdale was his latest target, and he’d decided they’d become pawns in his latest game.

“It’s imperative we get everyone on our side today, regardless of the cost. I’m counting on your help with that,” Sol stated emphatically to the man seated before him.

“C’mon, Sol, you know I’ll do whatever I can,” Will Frady, the de-facto mayor of Fort Lauderdale, responded. He attained his position the easy way…his predecessor resigned to run for higher office and Will was appointed to fulfill his term.

“I know you will, but we’re gonna step up our efforts today. Can I count on you, no matter what?”

Frady shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He knew Sol well enough to know what that meant. “Uh, I guess you can, Sol,” he answered carefully.

The executive leveled a harsh look at the wavering mayor. “You guess? Will, I’ve made you a wealthy man, and there’s plenty more where that came from in return for your assistance. So, I ask you again. Can I count on your full cooperation and assistance?”

Will shifted again, knowing he was defeated. “Of course you can! What do you need me to do?”

Sol smiled, always thrilled when a pawn capitulated. “I need you to make sure we get the three council members opposed to my plan alone at some point. I’m going to make them a very generous offer for their support, and I expect you to encourage them to accept. Understand?”

“Totally,” Will said, resigned to his fate.

“Good! Now let’s get out there and mingle with our guests.”

The men rose from the conference room they were in and pushed into the bright sunlight of a secluded beachside area. It was a glorious day, ideal for the purposes Sol had in mind. He smiled coldly as he observed the arriving participants look around in awe. The compound had cost a mint to acquire, but it had paid off in spades over the years. Business was a game, one Sol played to win and his record of accomplishment was enviable. He smoothed down his shirt, put on his best smile, and entered into his socializing mode. It was a ruse, but one he’d become adept at.

Almost immediately, his eyes took in a pair of men that looked totally disinterested in their surroundings. Their innocent touches didn’t go unnoticed either. It was obvious that the men were a couple, and the thought made Sol’s stomach queasy.

‘So that’s the fag and his boy toy,” he thought to himself with disgust. ‘If I can’t get them on my side, maybe I can use their unnatural lifestyle to my advantage.’

Plastering a fake smile to his face, he stood up straight and made his way toward the intended targets. Lane and Tony watched his approach with trepidation.

“Gentlemen, I’m Sol Stein, and I’d like to personally thank you for taking time out of your busy schedules to attend.”

The couple shook his hands and offered their names, but kept their faces devoid of emotion. Sol noticed, and mentally adjusted his game plan. He’d cracked tougher nuts over the years, and he’d be damned if a couple of ‘butt pirates’ would stand in his way.

“If you’ll excuse me, I need to greet my other guests. I’ll find you later so we can chat for a bit,” he said effusively.

Lane played along, showing an equally pasty grin. “I look forward to it.”

Sol nodded and moved off, much to Tony and Lane’s relief.

“What a sleaze ball,” Tony commented once the man passed from earshot. “I’ve seen some used car salesman in my time, but Jesus!”

Lane chuckled at the comparison, agreeing with the assessment whole- heartedly. Sol Stein was a threat, though. It was obvious by the way he moved and chatted up other council members that he had ulterior motives. Dan Reynolds’ warnings rang in Lane’s mind as he watched the snake slither around the gathering, eager to devour unsuspecting prey. He was shocked at how everyone was responding positively to the man’s bullshit.

He was equally surprised to find a diverse group of politicians, as well as a gaggle of prominent lobbyists. Every one of them treated Sol like royalty, and it was all too clear he expected nothing less.

“Wonder what he pays these people to kiss his ass?” Lane whispered to Tony.

“Not enough, that’s for sure!” he joked.

The pair made small talk with some of the guests, and took notice of some attractive ‘ladies’ fawning over the unattached men in the crowd. Any one of them was model material, and their outfits left nothing to the imagination. Lane became uncomfortable as he realized the scope of Sol’s influence, and the methods he used to exert it. His instincts told him it was time to go, and he led Tony toward the exit. Sol Stein saw them, and moved to head off their departure.

“Leaving so soon?” he asked.

“Yes, we are,” Tony answered. “I’m not feeling well and need to lie down. We thank you for your hospitality, but we really must be going.” Lane nodded silently, not trusting himself to say anything.

“Might I have a few moments of your time privately before you go?” Sol inquired.

Lane’s first instinct was to flee, but his curiosity was peeked. “A few moments, perhaps, but then we really must be off.”

Sol grinned, and led the men to a more private location. Now was the moment to make his move, and he wasted no time getting down to business.

“Councilman Boggs, tell me what I need to do to garner your support of my company’s bid to manage parking assets in Fort Lauderdale. I think you’ll find me to be quite agreeable to any suggestions you might have.”

Lane’s insides jumped, recognizing the veiled attempt to bribe him. “Let’s get something straight, Mr. Stein. My support is not for sale in any way, shape, or form. To be frank, nothing you could do or say will change my opinion of your bid. I’ve thoroughly researched your business methods and they spell disaster for my constituents. That said, I think it’s beyond time for my partner and me to depart.”

The couple joined hands and began moving away. Sol’s temper flared and made him even more determined to succeed. “And to think I thought you were a smart one,” he spat. “I think you should get used to making deals like this. People in my position will always be the ‘haves,’ and we will always run the lives of the ‘have-nots.’ I urge you to reconsider, councilman, or I’ll be forced to resort to more drastic measures.”

“Is that a threat, Mr. Stein?” Lane queried.

“You’re damn right it is! This can be either personally profitable or very painful for you. I’d hoped you’d choose the former, but I have no problem making the latter a reality.”

Lane stood tall, bringing his face within inches of Sol’s. “Do what you will, sir, but I’ll never jump in bed with the likes of you. If you’ll excuse me, my partner and I are leaving now!”

Tony and Lane joined hands and marched away, leaving a very pissed off Sol Stein in their wake. He barely managed to keep his cool before locating Will Frady and pulling him aside.

“Boggs and his bitch won’t play ball, so it’s up to you to use whatever enticements necessary to get the others behind our plan. I’ll be damned if some cocksucking Boy Scout is gonna stand in my way!”

Frady became agitated and began to sweat profusely. “Sol, I’ve given you my all for the last several months, but this is beyond the pale. I can’t be a part of buying votes so you can profit!”

Sol’s steely-eyed glare fixed upon Will’s countenance. “You’ll do what I say, when I say, Mr. Mayor! If not, then the public will know about your recent transgressions, including those with your ‘friends.’ How would your wife feel about that?”

Will Frady became pale and felt sick to his stomach. For years, he’d been stepping out on his wife with several male ‘companions,’ something Sol was quick to get photographic evidence of. The saddest part was he was in love with one of the men, and the feeling was returned. He intended to leave his wife after his mayoral term was over, but Sol’s interference threatened to derail his plans. In a word, he was stuck, and knew in his heart that he had to do what the man wanted. ‘One more time and I’m out for better or worse!’ he thought angrily. The only image in his mind was his lover as he made his way toward the other members.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Once safely in the car, Lane wasted no time calling Dan Reynolds. He felt filthy and defiled, and hope his friend could put things back in perspective. Luckily, he answered quickly.

“Hello, Lane,” he said.

“You were right,” Lane crowed. “What a snake that guy was! He offered to bribe me, and when I refused, he threatened to ruin me.”

The concern in Dan’s voice was evident. “Screw the plans we had laid out! You and Tony get yourselves home immediately, and we’ll meet later today. Hang in there, guys. Things are gonna be just fine.”

That said, Congressman Reynolds hung up, leaving Lane stunned.

“What did he say?” Tony asked his shocked partner.

“He suggested we go home right away and meet him later.”

“If that’s what Dan says, then that’s what we’ll do,” Tony said.

Minutes later, they left the hotel and began the drive home. Both knew that something huge was going on, and thoughts of it killed all attempts at conversation. Their interlocked fingers had to do all the talking for them, the hold remaining intact throughout the trip home. The men were tense, but relieving that tension in their usual manner was not on the agenda.

Within thirty minutes of arriving home, Lane’s phone rang again. It was Dan, and he instructed them to join him at his estate as soon as possible. Tony and Lane readily agreed, jumping in the BMW to make the short trip right away.

Chapman, the Reynolds’ butler, escorted them into the living room. There they found Dan, Emily, and Barry along with another man in a suit that looked vaguely familiar to Lane. The butler brought them drinks, and then drew the doors on the room for privacy.

“Lane, Tony, this John Engstrom, the U.S. Attorney in Miami. I’ve relayed that you had an experience with Sol Stein today, and he’s taken great interest in the matter. Would you two be okay with him sitting in on our chat?” The couple looked to each other and quickly agreed to have him present. They sat back in the overstuffed leather sofa to hear what he had to say.

“The Justice Department has been investigating Sol Stein for years. The problem is that we can’t get any credible witnesses to corroborate our suspicions. Stein has so many people taking bribes that most would rather die than end that gravy train. Now, we have you and your partner to help us, if you’re willing. We also have another possibility, but that’s a more delicate situation where your help could be invaluable. May I ask some questions?”

For the next hour, John furiously took notes while Tony and Lane went over the encounter with the dubious Sol Stein. As they’d suspected, his cryptic reference to bribery was not enough for a conviction, but it was definitely more than the Feds had to go on before. The mention of another possibility intrigued the men, but John ignored it until his questioning was finished. With a nod from Dan, he went forward in asking for their help in the next phase of the investigation.

“Guys, what I’m about to tell you is confidential, and I’m sure you’ll see where you fit into helping. Will Frady has been meeting men for sex when his wife’s out of town for the last few years. At the beginning, it was a host of prostitutes or men picked up at adult theaters. In the last six months, though, it’s been whittled down to one person, and become overnight stays instead of the usual quick encounter. We have reason to believe that Sol Stein discovered Frady’s extracurricular activities and is blackmailing him to help bribe government officials to land business for his company.”

John paused to let the revelations sink in, and then continued. “What I’d like you to do is befriend Frady for real, determine if Stein is blackmailing him, and encourage him to seek our assistance. I’d be willing to offer him full immunity from prosecution in return for his help in taking Sol down.”

Lane considered the request carefully, trying to choose which question to ask first. “Why is the federal government so interested in a local corruption case?”

Dan took care of answering that one. “Stein operates nationally, and we know for sure he’s made illegal contributions to at least ten members of Congress. The House Ethics Committee has been cooperating fully in the DOJ’s investigation, and once they get Sol, he might roll on some of them.”

Tony and Lane looked at each other in surprise. They had no clue that this corrupt man’s influence extended as far as it did, and taking him out was now more important than ever. It certainly wouldn’t hurt Lane’s political career to participate in the operation, but that was far from his mind.

“What do you need me to do?”

Engstrom laid out the basics of what he needed from the councilman, but left it up to him on the best way for building Will’s trust. Even though Lane knew he was doing the right thing, his distaste for everything political was growing exponentially. If it weren’t for people like Tony, Dan, Emily, Barry and Carol, he would have walked away that day for good.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tony and Lane went to bed early that night, desperate for some alone time after the excitement of the weekend. Life had changed so much in such a short time that Lane worried about the health of their relationship. He knew Tony was taking everything in stride, and he loved him more every day for his support. Their new life still scared him, though, especially since things had turned toward the dark side.

Lane was antsy. He tried hard to relax, but thoughts of Sol Stein and his underhanded ways kept him uneasy. Will Frady occupied a portion of his thoughts as well. There was a time in his life where Lane felt no sympathy for the plight of a gay man who chose to marry. That view wasn’t set in stone anymore. The mayor was being blackmailed for no other reason than his love of another man. Was it right of him to marry and involve an innocent woman in his confusion? No, it wasn’t, but Lane had a little better understanding of how it could happen now. There was no doubt that Will’s sexual preferences would become public. Lane hoped he and Tony would have the opportunity to be there for support and to make another good friend.

Another thing bothering him was his fellow council members. How many of them succumbed to the temptation of wealth and luxury Sol Stein offered? Lane considered it human nature to want more, and that made it easy for crooks like Stein to get away with the things he did. There was no choice but to assume that the entire council, with the exception of himself, was now on the take. The thought was distressing, so much so that Lane could sit still no longer.

Tony watched silently as the love of his life rose from their bed and disappeared down the hallway. He didn’t move to join him, figuring a little space might do him good. The sound of a glass being taken from the cabinet, and the refrigerator being opened then closed didn’t entice him to move at first. The tell tale smell of burning tobacco did, however. Tony knew that Lane was very disciplined in confining the use of cigarettes to after sex or at specific functions. If he broke his own rule, then something grave was going on inside that always thinking brain of his. Tony got out of bed, donned a pair of boxers, and headed off to join his lover. He found him sitting on the couch with a burning cigarette in one hand, a glass in the other, and an open bottle of wine on the table before him. Grabbing a glass of his own, Tony moved to the couch beside him and poured himself some of the fruity liquid. He then lit his own cancer stick, inhaling deeply while taking in the troubled state his lover was in. it pained him greatly.

“Wanna talk about it?” he asked after several minutes of silence.

Lane extinguished his butt, immediately lighting another before releasing a pained sigh. “I’m sorry, babe. All this shit is taking its toll, and I can’t help feeling guilty about bringing such chaos into our lives. You deserve so much better than this.”

Tony was silent for a few moments, deciding how to approach his lover’s guilt. In the end, he felt that honest was the best policy. “Lane, I know this is stressful for both of us, but have I ever once expressed a desire to leave?” Lane didn’t answer…he didn’t have to.

“I love you more than I’ve ever loved anyone, and when you feel that way about someone, you stand by them through the good and the bad. Our situation may not be ideal, but as long as you’re there, I can’t think of anywhere I’d rather be.”

Tears fell down Lane’s cheek as he stared at Tony in amazement. Never had he wanted to crawl inside someone and become one with his soul. He put out the burning butt, and maneuvered his body so his head came to rest in his lover’s lap. A feeling of love and safety washed over him as Tony lightly ran his fingers through his man’s curly, brown locks. Lane concentrated on how Tony’s fingers seemed to wash the stress of the world away, and fell into a deep slumber.

He woke several hours later, his head still in Tony’s lap. His man had fallen asleep as well, but looked horribly uncomfortable sitting upright with his head thrown back. Lane sat up, pulling Tony so that he fell down onto the sofa cushions. After pulling and pushing him a bit to make more room, Lane crawled in facing him, working his hands around the warm body and pulling it to him closely. With their foreheads pressed together, he fell back into a fitful sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*

The first interaction since the party with the council came three weeks later, where a committee appointed to study Sol Stein’s parking bid was due to report their preliminary findings. Lisa Tillman, a fellow freshman council member who shared many of Lane’s views, chaired it. If he was counting on any facts here to support his bid for killing the proposal, none came to light. Ms. Tillman launched into a twenty-minute speech extolling the virtues of Magnolia Parking and its venerated chairperson, Sol Stein. Lane looked worriedly at Tony, who sat in the observers’ area. It was clear he was equally shocked. When she opened the floor to questions, Lane wasted no time speaking up.

“Ms. Tillman, how do you say that a proposal which cuts jobs, thereby cutting our tax revenue, and increases costs that will contribute to an undue burden on our citizens, is good?”

“Mr. Boggs,” she began, “I know the realities of business can be harsh, but our findings show that the added parking revenue will more than offset the lost taxes. Additionally, Mr. Stein has agreed to preserve as many jobs as possible.”

“Do we have that in writing, and have an acceptable number of layoffs been established?”

“I think we can leave what’s best for the business to Mr. Stein,” she replied.

“What about what’s best for the people of Fort Lauderdale?” Lane asked with sadness.

“You’re out of line, Boggs!” Dex Linehart, a portly conservative from a wealthy district screamed. “I call for an immediate vote to approve Magnolia Parking’s proposal based on our committee’s evidence.” Another council member quickly seconded the motion.

Lane was soundly outnumbered, and the bid was accepted. The most curious thing was that Will Frady, one of Stein’s most vocal supporters, remained silent and emotionless throughout the debate. It was clear by the look on his face that his mind was elsewhere. Handed his first loss, Lane studied the appointed mayor, searching his face for a way to break through his tough façade. When the man rose to leave the chamber during another presentation, Lane followed.

He found Frady standing in a restroom, staring blankly at his reflection. Will was a good looking man for his age…tall, thin and distinguished. It was easy to see how another man could fall for him once his outgoing personality was added to the mix. Now, he seemed sad and distant, like the weight of the world lie on his shoulders. Lane decided to use the pain as his opening.

“Hurts to live a lie, doesn’t it?”

Frady jumped at the intrusion, and began washing his hands feverishly. “I have no idea what you’re talking about, Boggs.”

Lane walked forward and leaned against the wall by the sink. He said nothing, but maintained eye contact with the distraught man. It only took a few moments for Will to look away as tears began falling down his cheeks. He broke down completely shortly after, collapsing into Lane’s arms.

“Shh, shh,” Lane comforted. “Everything’s gonna be okay.”

“No it won’t,” Frady sobbed. “I’m in over my head, and I have no idea what to do. My career and my family life are ready to fall apart, and I feel powerless to stop it from happening!”

Realizing a bathroom was no place for privacy, Lane led Will out and down the hall to his office. Once the door was secured, he got them settled on a nearby couch and retrieved bottles of water from an adjacent refrigerator. Will took a large chug from his, and then took a deep breath.

“I apologize for my outburst, councilman. While I appreciate your kindness, this isn’t something you wanna be anywhere near. I’m gonna have to do the right thing before long, and I’d hate to see an innocent get caught in the web.”

Lane took his own deep breath, and made a quick decision. “I know all about what you’re into, Will, and I’d like to help. We can’t discuss it here, though. Would you be willing to join my partner and me at our home so we can talk more?”

“I think I can arrange that, but may I invite someone else to join us?”

Without a second thought, Lane agreed. He got Tony’s attention and led him to the parking lot, where a very nervous Will Frady waited. No one said a word as the trio climbed into the BMW and drove away. There was a council meeting still in progress, but the others would assume that Lane left in protest after his defeat. Will’s absence was nothing unusual.

When they reached the condo, Will made a fast call, giving the person on the other end directions to where he was. While they waited, Tony made drinks for everyone and they made small talk about nothing important. About fifteen minutes later, the doorbell rang and Will escorted a man into the living room.

He appeared to be younger than Will by about fifteen years or so, and was obviously nervous. He stood about five foot seven, with a stocky build, dark blonde hair, and brown eyes. The way the two men stood so close together gave away their status as more than friends.

“Lane, Tony, this is Scott Simons. Scott works in accounts payable at Magnolia Parking. He’s also the man I love dearly and want to spend the rest of my life with.”

Everyone exchanged greetings and tried to make Scott feel welcome. It was cute to watch the look of adoration in the young man’s eyes, and even cuter to see it returned by his older lover. Will was brought here for a reason, though, and Lane dealt with bringing things to that subject.

“Will, I told you downtown that I knew what was going on, and that includes your relationship with Scott. Everything to do with him is personal, and I’ll be here for you however I can. In regards to your other problems, though, I know I can be a big help there.”

“I don’t know about that, Lane. I’ve done some pretty shitty things that could send me to jail for a long time, and, frankly, I deserve it. I don’t see how a freshman member of the council could possibly do anything to help.”

“Let’s just say I’ve got some assistance there,” Lane replied. He spent the next twenty minutes detailing the offer that John Engstrom had laid out, including full immunity from prosecution. Will listened intently, only asking one question.

“Scott needs the same deal. He’s been disbursing the payouts and Stein will throw him to the wolves. Can Justice help him too?”

“I’m not sure, but we can ask. There’s gotta be something they can do, and John has full authority to offer any deals. I can set up a meeting as soon as tomorrow if you like.”

Will and Scott joined hands and looked at each other. Silent communication bounced between them before both nodded. “Set it up for tomorrow evening and we’ll be there,” Will said.

Lane called John soon after, arranging for the pair to meet him aboard the Reynolds yacht. At John’s request, both Lane and Tony agreed to attend as well. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when the details worked out, and spent the evening getting to know one another better.

Will talked a lot about the dilemma with his wife. He admitted their marriage had been dead for years, but he still feared hurting her for sentimental reasons. There would be no bloody divorce, as he was ready to disgorge the majority of his assets to get out quickly. Lane also gave advice about handling the matter in political arenas, sharing his recent experiences.

It turned out that Scott was a rent boy when he met Will. He moved from the Midwest to escape a harsh family life, turning to selling his body when the money ran out. The cash tumbled in and he became one of the most sought after escorts in the area. When he met Will, though, things changed.

“I was used to clients using me and my body to fulfill their fantasies. When Will hired me, though, we made gentle love. I have to admit that I’ve never had a more erotic experience, nor had I ever cum harder. I figured it was a fluke, but the next few times got better and better. A few months later, we admitted our feelings for each other and Will got me out of the business. I love him more than anything. He’s a good man caught in a bad situation, and I’d owe you a tremendous debt for any help you can give us.”

“I give you my word as a man that I’ll do everything in my power to help both of you as long as you tell the truth,” Lane promised.

As the evening grew late, Will and Scott thanked their gracious hosts and rose to take their leave. Tony and Lane followed them into the courtyard, thrilled to have laid the foundation for a possible friendship. The rustle of a tree branch caught their attention moments before a shot rang out. The men hit the ground instinctively as the assassin jumped to the ground and into a waiting vehicle. All was eerily silent as heads began to rise and survey the situation.

All anyone could focus on was the body lying a few feet from away from them.

 

TO BE CONTINUED…

A special thanks to my editors, Wayne and Chris, who keep me literate. Comments welcome at mcnc1966@gmail.com.
The Candidate<br />By Mark Corlis<br />Copyright 2009
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..