Jump to content
    reychop
  • Author
  • 2,192 Words
  • 700 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Eien No Kotoba ~Reflections of the Past~ - 1. Chapter 1: Rio Shal'Darim

-o-o-o-

Eien no Kotoba ~Reflections of the Past~

-o-o-o-

Summary: Rio Shal'Darim is a city ripe with conflicts. With the upper city and the lower city tearing at its once magnificent land, will there be a chance for hope to rise again? Or will its inhabitants be trapped forever in an endless swirl of darkness?

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

-o-o-o-

Rio Shal'Darim is a magnificent city. Home to millions of hybrids and humans, it appeared that peace was finally upon them. The highly industrialized setting gave rise to a strong economic presence and their strategic location allowed them access to numerous mines and resource hubs.

The colony, too, due to its accepting and friendly nature invited great minds and it had established itself as an influential technological entity. Advanced in so many ways, it employed the coveted magnetic fields instead of the least recommended and cheaper glass domes. In a way, Rio Shal'Darim became the envy of the world.

Yet despite for its influence and power, it chose to seclude itself in the north pole, resting quietly on a floating platform and surrounded itself with a lush and luxurious landscape that remained untouched since the last Global Conflict in the early times of the 3rd millennium.

The city is governed within the house, Neo Ven'Rio, on the upper levels of the city. The Ven'Rios became instrumental in the colony's ascent due to their contributions during the last war. Their inputs enabled the colony to rise above the ashes of destruction and established itself as a colony worthy of rivaling Saphiro, the behemoth technological entity that once monopolized this world's Central Government.

Resting untouched amidst a wide garden, Neo Ven'Rio is a large fortress that powers itself with mana, a technological breakthrough that earned Shal'Darim its place amongst the giants. Mana is a self-replenishing energy that is so flexible that it allowed further advancements within the field of technology.

Its large concentration within the colony became the very reason why it maintained zero enemies. And that in itself became an advantage for its inhabitants.

As of now, Neo Shal'Darim is the only safe haven for hybrids.

Everything seemed to be pleasant and Shal'Darim seemingly became a heaven for those who are lost and a shining beacon of humanity. Yet despite its glamorous and glowing facade, within the city is an endless turmoil that was kept hidden.

The populace of Rio Shal'Darim is divided into two- The Enlightened Ones and the Commoners. The enlightened ones composed the majority of the wealthy population and isolated themselves in the upper towns.

Due to their contempt, the commoners hated them just as much. While it is safe to say that the hybrids and the humans finally set aside their differences and lived together, the populace were divided based on lineages, blood, and wealth.

Because of this, the heart of Rio Shal'Darim was swamped with tense friction. And protests were not uncommon.

-o-o-o-

“Lady Anne! Lady Anne! We have a serious trouble.” A hybrid fox knocked upon the chambers of Lady Anne von Ven'Rio, the current elder of Rio Shal'Darim. Dressed in nothing but her sleeping clothes the kind-hearted and young elder heaved a sigh and sluggishly went out of her bed.

Letting out a soft “enter”, three servants immediately went in. The two headed straight for her bathroom to prepare her bath and the last came her best friend who helped her out of bed.

“My lady...”

“What is it this time, Ruth? Another protest movement?” She groaned, upset that her beauty sleep was interrupted. She slept late last night due to a meeting with the maintenance team. It appeared that their generators have been damaged by some activists group in their rioting. And now they interrupted her chance of getting a break. In her mind, it is simply intolerable.

Her friend nodded her head.

“But it's worse this time. They are engaging in armed struggles against our police guards! Even now, they are throwing stones at our very windows. Our emergency division tried to activate our defensive shields. But our generators failed.”

Anne's eyes widened. They never reached the palace before. The commoners are increasingly going violent.

“Where's my brother?”

“He's out on the fields, my lady. But no offense, I really don't think he's reliable in a situation such as this. He's simply not interested in politics.”

The elder sighed and rose from her bed.

“I wish mama and papa are still alive. I don't even know why the townsfolk are acting like this.”

“I believe this has something with the increasing taxes. But we employed our laws equally. I wish I know the answer to that.”

“I never increased taxes unfairly. Those commoners should be glad of that. I'll take my bath first. Inform the royal guards that I authorize the use of force to repel the protesters. I cannot have them touching my gardens.”

Ruth's furry ears twitched. Her naïve friend was not taught of royal duties. Although she wasn't spoiled, her inexperience had been the indirect cause of the people's dissatisfaction. This was demonstrated just moments ago when all she minded was her garden.

A soft sigh left her lips.

“Of course, my lady. I'll deliver the message right now. Is there anything else you want delivered?”

“Have a small team locate my brother. I want a word with him. These acts of terrorism must be stopped. And it would be this time that he fulfill his duties.”

Anne made her way to the bathroom as her friend existed the room with an unreadable expression on her face.

-o-o-o-

Cold blue eyes scanned his surroundings with unfailing precision. A his chest heaved and gasped for air, he stopped momentarily to marvel at his new artwork.

Located deep within the forests of Neo Ven'Rio, his laboratory became a place of magic and magnificence. Purple electricity, only achievable true complex manipulation of mana laced every rods and purple orbs danced around its walled chambers. It is truly the perfect combination of magic, technology and nature.

Prince Wolfram von Ven'Rio smiled as he looked at the artwork before him. Another masterpiece had been added to his hall of glory. Before him, a huge tree transformed into a stronger and more powerful variant. Using his psi energy, he was able to revive an ancient knowledge- the knowledge of Alchemy.

He had been working in his little lab long before his sister took over the throne. Disguised as “playing” and training he dabbled in arcane arts and forsook the so called “technological” advancements of his kingdom. Using these times, he trained himself, not for fighting but for healing and transformation.

In all actuality, he had no interest in displaying his works to the world. He'd rather keep them here, than subject them to the world's cruel criticism.

“Greetings master! Thank you for giving me a new chance at life!”

Wolfram's breathing hitched in surprise at the suddenness of the tree's voice.

“You?”

“Indeed. Your psi energy gave me life and in turn, I will serve you the best way I can.”

The mahogany tree before him twitched as one by one, its roots started uprooting themselves from the laboratory grounds.

The prince smiled in appreciation. He had not expected to create life at this moment. But this new ability might be able to help him in his future plans. Immediately logging his achievement in his master computer, he donned his robes and moved to exit the lab.

“What is they bidding, my prince?”

The tree asked him again.

“You're an interesting one. I guess, I really don't know what to do with you yet. I probably just set you free. Do as you wish.”

The tree brightened up and smiled at him.

“I shall not forget this kindness my master. The next time we meet again, I will assist you no matter what.” The tree bowed and turned for the exit to dwell amongst his friends in the forest.

As the tree left, he simply shook his head and rose as he reached for his bookcase. Pulling out the unfinished book he was writing, he reread the contents and set out to do another experiment.

He was just about to reach for his flasks when his computer assistant beeped and announced through his system.

“Warning, unauthorized biosignatures detected within our radius. Activating stealth fields.”

He sighed and returned the flasks to their cabinets. He wasn't ready to let his sister find out about all of this yet. Smoothing his robes for any signs of activity, he powered down the system and made his way outside, where he met four soldiers.

“Prince Wolfram, forgive us for interrupting your training session but Lady Anne called for you.”

He scowled and ran a hair through his golden strands.

“What does our princess want now?”

“The riots have gone increasingly violent. And she wants you to take part in its solution.”

He growled and tighten his fist.

“She wants me involved in her new games?”

“It is for the colony, sire. Please understand.”

“Heh! Whatever. The enlightened ones are increasingly corrupt as it is. Why won't she deal with them first?”

The guards kept silent after that as they slowly neared the palace's back entrance. Wolfram smiled triumphantly after that, knowing that he had planted something within the guard. These idiots never think. All they did is do what they were told without question.

Even when he was still a child he knew that there's something going on within the upper towns. That's one reason why he hated the system itself and remained passive throughout the years, despite his sister's urging to participate in the affairs.

-o-o-o-

His sister was taking breakfast when he entered. Scowling at the luxury she drowned herself in, Wolfram sat on the other end of the long rectangular table.

“Good morning, brother. How nice it is of you to finally join me. Out in the fields again? I can't even understand what's so important about that.”

Wolfram remained silent and picked up the spoon a servant delivered. Taking small sips, he ignored his sister by concentrating on the taste of the delicious soup.

“Wolfram!” Anne slammed her fist on the table. “Listen to me when I'm talking to you.”

Gracefully putting his spoon down, Wolfram calmly drank his milk and made himself comfortable on his chair, annoying his sister even further.

“If you're going to give me a lecture on my hobbies, then I be better off outside.”

“You misunderstand me brother dearest. I was hoping to have a normal conversation with you. But it appears that nothing is ever normal with a pest like you.” She glared at his ears. Noticing the direction of their conversation, Wolfram's neutral expression darkened.

“I believe that our parents taught everyone about equality. Sadly, you as a leader of this colony, failed to grasp their teachings. And you wonder why there are so many protests lately. I may be a hybrid, Anne, but I am your brother.”

Anne's eyes widened and took a moment to calm herself down.

“Alright. You got me. Fine, I'll drop this matter. I guess I really can't have a normal conversation with you, can I? I'll get to the point then.” She straightened herself and sipped her tea. “I want you to make a small hunting team and pacify every single protests in this colony. Prove your worth and I might just reconsider everything.”

Wolfram's ears perked at this.

“Why would I want to prove myself to you? You are a failure, Anne, face it.” This seemed to have an effect on his sister as he saw her eyes moistened.

“I-- I can't believe this. This is too much, Wolfy, even from you!”

Wolfram smirked.

“You still remembered that nickname I see. But that won't change a thing. You were always too bitchy for my tastes.”

“Please Wolfram. At least do this, if not for me, for the Aristocrats, or for the colony for that matter. It would help the situation a lot.”

His eyes narrowed as he heard that, anger swelled within him. Rising from his seat, he let out a dry laughter.

“And let this corrupt system continue? I'm not yet crazy, sister dearest. Thanks for the breakfast by the way.”

He turned to leave. But just as he was about to exit the dining hall, he heard his sister rise.

“Fine! If that's how it's going to be, you ungrateful trash! Our caste provided you everything! I'll show you how important the aristocracy is. For a week you'll stay in the lower towns. Let's see how you take that. Don't bother returning for the night. At least by then, you will see what a mistake you're making.”

He was shocked by her actions. But he shook his head in understanding. He had remained passive all throughout the years. But maybe... maybe he'll have to do something this time.

Copyright © 2010 reychop; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..