Jump to content
    reychop
  • Author
  • 2,356 Words
  • 893 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Past - 1. Chapter 1 : Meeting You

Tales of the Past

 

Summary: “A decade ago, I was your pet. Now I'm your guardian.” In the distant future, the mutants resurrected magic and broke the very balance in all of Neo-Gaia's land. As things turned bleak, only one bond can save everything.

Disclaimer: The story that follows is a pure work of fiction. Any resemblance to real life events and characters is purely coindidental and unintended.

 

-o-o-o-

 

“Keta! Get your butt out of that room and please help me with chores!”

 

“But mom!”

 

“No buts, young man. And if I ever see you again with those filthy animals I'll send you back to the orphanage. Now move!”

 

The young hybrid stilled, his fox ears and bushy tail drooped. There are no laws protecting orphans in Al'Thion. Remembering himself as an orphan made him realize how weak and dependent he really was. And this brought within him a sinking feeling that threatened to suck his stomach from within.

 

With a defeated sigh, he sent a sad glance upon the dying bird as it laid vulnerably on his steel table. After uttering a brief prayer, he set aside his medical tools and covered the still figure with a white cloth. He would have to attend to it later.

 

“I'm coming mother.”, was his only reply as he made his way through the spherical habitat. It was a habitat typical in Al'Thion. Yet the comfort that it offered wasn't something to brag about. In Al'Thion, shelters became hard to come by because of its rather limited territory. Even the wealthy were forced to inhabit the “commoner's” shelters. Wealth no longer mattered anyway.

 

Only the scientists, or as they were called “The Enlightened Ones”, knew the meaning of luxury.

 

As he made his way inside the dimly lit shelter, his eyes immediately scanned their new surroundings; taking into account things of interests that might be of use in cases of emergency.

 

“Keta, would you please help me with this? I'm in the kitchen! And you better take off your sandals before coming in. Wash your hands and put on your apron. Help your brothers sharpen the knives and wash the vegetables. Come on, come on! It's a busy day. We have to condition the shelter before we settle in!”

 

His “mother” let out a plethora of orders. Keta was confused for a minute before finally processing each command. He would do as he was told. After all, this would be better than the dark cellars of the already dying orphanage. Enduring his stepmother and his family wouldn't be as hard as enduring days with no food or water.

 

Truly, there was no greater luxury that he could ask for.

 

Keta made his way into the kitchen and saw his brothers working. Great. He could smell their contempt for their chores; their very forms radiated laziness. Soon they would push their tasks to him and his mother would once again get mad at him for not finishing in time.

 

Trying to be as inconspicuous as possible, Keta swiftly yet gracefully brought his small form across the pristine white tiled floor of the kitchen. Unfortunately, the inevitable occurred sooner than he anticipated. And his brothers finally took notice of him.

 

“So the little princess finally marched out of his little den. Come here squirt!”

 

Not having much of a choice, Keta sauntered towards his brothers.

 

“Jim, Shura, do you need me for anything?” The little boy inquired, trying to sound as polite as possible. His actions only served to fuel the contempt that his companions felt.

 

With irises narrowed in predatory gaze, Jim, the eldest, growled.

 

“I don't have time for your sweet talk, orphan.” Keta stiffened, already feeling the sting of the words. “I know that a good for nothing pest like you would only waste resources.”

 

“Jim, please. I think we shouldn't push him too much. It's not really his fault.”

 

Jim glared at his younger brother.

 

“Shura, you soft-hearted fool! Can't you see he's taking over the family? As the eldest, it is my responsibility to preserve the integrity of this family. It never was an idea to take a street rat, anyway, much less a hybrid, into a fully normal human family such as us!”

 

Shura cowered beneath his brother's gaze. Underneath Jim's wise and intelligent facade lies arrogance and narrow-mindedness. After their father's death, Jim was named the new head of the family. Shura knew it would be unwise to go against him.

 

“Jim, I'm not taking over--” Keta tried to defend himself. But it only made Jim angrier and lashed out to the ten-year old. Slapping him with great force, the child stumbled backwards.

 

“Silence you rat! Because of you father is dead! Adopting you was a mistake! Adopting you stripped us of our nobility.”

 

“Please Jim...”

 

“Shut up! You! Just get out of my sight.” Jim sighed. And Keta saw something foreign beyond his brother's eyes. The normally fierce and aggressive attitude gave way to submission. His eyes took in the appearance of the figure before him. His brother was slouched against the counter, while Shura finally shook his head and came near the hybrid.

 

“Keta, I apologize for what had been said here. We really had a stressful time since father's death. I know you understand. Ever since we sell the mansion, he had been rather edgy.”

 

Keta can only nod dumbly. Unused to the recent changes, he realized he could relate to a degree. But he never had any attachment to any of them. True he acknowledged the warmth from the family. But that only came from the father. And even since his death, nothing had been the same. He became a fifth wheel in the house- unnecessary, unwelcomed, detested.

 

Shura sighed audibly and ruffled the younger one's head.

 

“I know the recent development may have been surprising for you. But this is Jim's way of coping with things.” Their eyes met and Keta could feel the tension ebbing away. Shura smiled. “Well, why don't you go outside and play in the woods? We'll take care of everything.”

 

“Are you sure?” Keta asked. He wasn't sure if this was one of their tricks or a genuine change of direction. But if ever it was true, he would hold on to it and protect it.

 

The older chuckled.

 

“Absolutely. And don't worry about mom either. She was just stressed from everything. Run along now. Your brother and I have much to discuss.”

Mirroring the other's smile, Keta bowed and ran outside. He might not have understood the whole new development, but he knew that everything's changing for the better. And he would do his best to keep it that way.

 

Once Keta's presence left the kitchen, Jim moved towards the chair and plopped down with a thud.

 

“I can't keep going on like this Shura. Mom is--” The eldest let out a weary sigh.

 

“I know. She was affected deeply by father's loss. I can only hope that she'll get over it. It's sad that she continues to blame little Keta for everything.”

 

“As well as she should. Although I know the squirt couldn't possibly do anything as drastic as this. It is not in his nature. At best, I think everything was a mere accident exaggerated to the highest level just because a hybrid was present.” He grunted in annoyance. “Media these days.”

 

Shura picked up a bowl and started beating an egg.

 

“You really should start looking things at a fresher perspective, Jim. Keta is a good kid. And you wonder why father was so fond of him.”

 

“I know. It's just that--”

 

“You are so used to hating the hybrid that you already set your mind on how evil and unlikeable he is. But really, Jim. Give him a chance. If not for me, at least do it in father's name and memory.”

 

“I guess I have been taking this in the wrong direction. Maybe I should do just that. Now, let's start doing our chores for once. We have a family to rebuild after all.”

 

“Yup! That's the right attitude. And we can finally act the big brothers we should have from the very beginning.”

 

“Perhaps we can still be whole after all.” Shura's smile widened this time, pleased that they are changing. Maybe moving into a new shelter won't be so bad after all.

 

-o-o-o-

 

A sob echoed through the woods; the soft footsteps accompanying its grieving tone.

 

“I'm sorry I couldn't help you. I'm sorry. I tried my best. I really did.”

 

He drew his forearm to his cheeks and with his fist, wiped away the streaming tears. Keta's cloudy eyes could only recognize the still figure of a robin before him. The silence of the forest did nothing to console his grieving. After all, it was him who left the bird in the first place. Although he could easily say that he had duties to attend, it wasn't an enough excuse to abandon a friend in need.

 

Indeed, ever since in the orphanage, he considered every living animal to be his friend. This little bird that came knocking on his window is no exception. And nothing would ever excuse his abandonment for the creature in need.

 

Glancing at the lifeless form of his companion, he sniffled once more. Willing to stop his tears from falling any further, he picked up the shovel and dug a small hole upon the ground. Once the task gave way to a small and deep enough hole, he lovingly cradled the cold lifeless body of the robin and drew it carefully upon the hole.

 

“Even after everything, I abandoned you. But I promise I'll watch over your grave everyday. It would be the least I could do. I hope you'll be happy, wherever you're going.”

 

Wiping the last tears upon his eyes, he once again picked up the shovel and covered the ground with the soft warm soil.

 

He stood there for a few minutes, doing nothing but staring thoughtfully at the lone brown bump upon the ground. Even after consoling himself in his room, he wasn't able to calm his thoughts down. And his guilty self kept blaming himself for the death of something so innocent and vulnerable.

 

Keta could stand there the whole day, wallowing in self-pity and guilt, but a loud, high-pitched yelp tore his attention away from the negative emotions that coursed through his being.

 

Knowing that something was up, he laid the shovel upon a tree and raised his ears upward, trying to point out the source of the sound. Once he did so, he immediately fled to the site and found himself gazing upon a magnificent red fox.

 

He would have stared in awe at the creature before him had it not been for the fact that the creature had an ugly trap biting at its hind legs. Approaching the creature carefully, he was surprised when the other growled at him.

 

“Calm down. I'm a friend. Let me help you.” He softly whispered, his voice still shaky and hoarse from crying. The fox looked at him suspiciously until their gazes met. Their eyes stayed glued to the other as Keta softly made his way to the trapped fox.

 

“This might sting but please bear with it. I have to get you out of the trap.” He whispered and gingerly wrapped his fingers upon the cruel mechanical device that seemed to tighten its hold upon the flesh as time passed. Breathing deeply, he shifted his attention to the device.

 

The fox once again started growling but as Keta parted the trap, the fox yelped and jumped, effectively freeing itself from the trap's hold. But the troubles were only beginning. Once the fox landed upon the ground, blood gushed out of his wounds and his yelps grew more desperate.

 

Remaining calm, Keta stroked the fox's head and whispered comforting words to it. When the fox calmed down, he brought out a first aid box from his backpack and from it, retrieved a bottle and bandages.

 

“Let me clean this up for a while okay?” The fox looked at him in understanding and bared its teeth as water came in contact with his huge wounds.

 

“I'll wrap it up now so don't move. We may need to stitch it up later.” Keta uttered as he started wrapping the bandage around the wound. The fox shuddered for a second before stilling himself, knowing that the human before him only wished for his well-being.

 

Soon, the torturous process was over and Keta heaved a sigh of relief.

 

“Well, I'm glad that was over. But I can't let you go just yet. In your condition, there's no way you'll survive in the wilds. Plus you need to rest. So you're coming with me.”

 

The fox stared at him, not wanting to come. But he turned his head to the direction of the forest with a look that Keta couldn't recognize. Eventually, the fox stood up and limped to the boy's side.

 

“You and I will get along just fine Mr. Fox.” Keta grinned ignoring the snort that came out through the canine's nostrils. He knew that the creature was grateful for his deed.

 

The sun was already setting when they made their exit upon the maze-like sea of trees. Taking careful steps towards the shelter, he and the fox crept up silently upon the strangely silent place they called home.

 

Keta was thankful, though. He was scared that his step mom would see the fox. He wasn't depressed though. For he knew that from this moment onwards, he would have something to look forward to. And this time, maybe he'll have the family he always wanted.


Copyright © 2011 reychop; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..