Jump to content
    Tristan
  • Author
  • 11,226 Words
  • 1,090 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2008 - Spring - Living in the Shadows Entry

The Mother of All Assumptions - 1. Chapter 1

······················

“There's something he's not telling me, but I just can't put my finger on it.”

Jack sipped his coffee as he watched the frown on his friend's face, from long familiarity recognising the tell-tale twitches as memories were replayed and considered and filed.

A couple of minutes of comfortable silence passed, and then Don's eyes regained their focus. “Sorry Jack, I didn't mean to space out on you”, he said, with a brief smile of apology.

Jack shook his head, “Don't worry about it, I can see how this is getting to you. I gotta admit, if what you've told me is correct, I'd be wondering too.”

“What do you mean, if?” Don said, a challenging stare pinning Jack.

“Hey, don't get me wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time you've got paranoid and imagined stuff is going on when it isn't. Remember what happened with Roy.”

Don sighed and collapsed back into the sofa. “Yeah, I know, that's what worries me. What if I am imagining it. If I accuse him and I'm wrong what does that say about trust?”

Jack patted Don's knee, “I think you need something more than vague suspicions. Maybe it's something at work that's bothering him. Have you asked him?”

“Yeah, I asked him last week but he said things couldn't be better, that his boss says he's doing real well on his current project – in fact, he says he might earn a promotion from it.”

“Maybe he's stressing over messing up and not getting the promotion?” Jack suggested.

“I don't know...”, Don considered, “... it feels more like he's hiding something from me, and I can't see how that'd fit.”

Jack drained his cup and put it back on the low table in front of them, his eyes lifting to the door momentarily as a noisy crowd of office workers pushed in. “Well, we're not going to get anywhere like this. If you don't ask him outright then you're gonna have to either ignore it, which I don't see you doing, or catch him out.”

Don sighed once more, then hit his knee with a clenched fist, “Goddam it! I hate feeling like this.”

Jack put a hand on Don's shoulder and squeezed, “Hey man, take it easy, how about if I help you on this if it's that bad?”

Don relaxed slightly as Jack's fingers continued to massage his shoulder, “How?”

“Well, the only way I can think of is to follow him. It sounds all cloak-and-dagger but if he's seeing someone else they'll have to be meeting some-place.”

Don turned and looked at Jack. “You'd do that?”

Jack nodded. “I don't like it, but yeah, if it'll get to the bottom of this thing once and for all.”

The frown reappeared on Don's face as he considered the offer. “Well, he says he's working late at the office but sometimes he gets calls in the evening and goes out again. They're always to his work phone and he told me it's drama-queens at the office getting their knickers in a twist when something goes wrong.”

“Okay, so how about next time he gets one of those calls and goes out, you call me straight away and I'll follow him?”

Don thought about it for a few moments. “I could do that, yeah”, he replied.

“Right. So, next time he goes out you call me and I'll go down to the garage and follow him.”

“You're sure about this?” Don asked.

Jack nodded and smiled, “If it'll sort this out and bring a smile back to your face, sure!”

Don leaned over and gave Jack a quick one-armed hug. “Thanks man, I don't know what I'd do without you.”

“No problem, man”, Jack replied as they got to their feet and walked out into the bright afternoon sunlight.

······················

Jack was curled up on his sofa watching the evening news on TV when the phone rang. He dug around behind the cushions until he found his phone, and flipped it open. “Jack”, he said.

“Jack, Don. Are you still okay to do you-know-what?” whispered Don.

Jack took a few moments to catch up, and then realised what Don was on about and sat up sharply, suddenly looking alert. “Sure am! Is something happening?”

“Yeah, Hussein just took a call and told me he's gotta go back into work. He's just changing; he'll be leaving in about five minutes.”

“Okay, you want me to follow him then?”

“Would you?” Don asked, not wanting to be the one to make the decision.

“Sure, I'm on it...”, Jack said as he stood and headed to his bedroom, “... I'll call you later and let you know what I find out.”

“Thanks Jack, I really appreciate this.”

“Don't worry Don, we'll soon sort this out”, Jack replied before closing his phone and shutting the TV off. Collecting his keys, wallet, and jacket, he headed for the door.

With a last look around he turned the apartment lights off and headed down to the garage, not wanting to risk running into Hussein through hanging about. In the subterranean garage he quickly settled into the driver's seat of his car and hunkered down in the shadows, hoping he wouldn't be spotted, especially by Hussein.

It was almost ten minutes later that the stairwell door opened and Hussein appeared. Jack watched as he walked quickly over to his blue BMW 3 series in the corner. A few minutes later Hussein drove out past him as Jack lowered himself behind the steering wheel.

Starting the engine of his own car, he gave Hussein twenty seconds then pulled out after him. As he approached the exit barrier and wound the window down to wave his card against the sensor he could see the tail-lights of Hussein's car at the top of the ramp, the left indicator flashing a few times before the lights disappeared.

The barrier went up and Jack excitedly roared up to the top of the ramp, looking briefly right to check the road was clear before pulling out. He roared through the gears like a rally driver before he realised he didn't really want to be drawing attention to himself.

Hussein's car was stationary at a set of lights and Jack slowed down some so as not to get too close. The lights changed and Hussein pulled away, Jack following about one hundred fifty meters behind, trying to keep at least one vehicle between them.

His feet danced on the pedals as he tried not to get too close but not get separated by the frequent sets of traffic lights.

Hussein took a left turn into a quieter road and about four seconds later Jack followed. As he turned he saw Hussein turning right. Jack followed and soon they were on the inner ring-road.

Jack was starting to relax when Hussein indicated and turned into a side-street. Jack slowed, manoeuvring across lanes so he could follow. When he turned into the street there was no sign of Hussein's lights. The street was empty aside from the parked cars down one side in front of the three-storey terraces. He crawled along looking for Hussein's car but not spotting it. The street curved to the left and as he rounded the corner he saw with dismay it was a dead-end. There was no sign of Hussein's car.

Turning his car around, he drove back a way and turned into a side street, almost an alley, hidden between a high brick wall and a single-car garage. He crawled along between the backs of two rows of houses, each with a similar small garage facing into the alley, dilapidated wooden gates and high fences surrounding each back yard.

At the end of the alley was a large patch of waste ground with abandoned trolleys, tyres, and bags of garbage. He swung the car around in a wide turn and returned the way he came, his eyes scanning the windows of the houses on either side for any clue as to where Hussein might have gone.

Turning back into the main street he looked left and right, hoping to find he'd missed Hussein's car in amongst all the parked vehicles, but he was disappointed. Sighing, he turned left and drove back to the ring-road and rejoined the mid-evening traffic and headed for home.

He sighed again, then reached forward to the phone in its holder and pressed “3”, the speed-dial for Don. The Bluetooth LED began blinking rapidly as it connected to his hands-free kit and he heard the ringing over the car's speakers.

“Hey Jack, how'd it go?” Don asked after four rings.

“I lost him, sorry”, Jack replied.

“Where?” Don asked.

“Winchester Street, just off the ring-road. It's a dead-end but I couldn't find his car anywhere, it doesn't make sense”, Jack sighed, sounding dejected.

There was a pause, and then, “Oh well, it was worth a try, I suppose”, Don said, sounding just as dejected.

“Hey, don't worry, I'm not giving up, let me know next time and I'll try again”, he said, injecting some confidence into his voice that he didn't altogether feel.

“Okay, thanks man!”, there was a pause, “What you doing now, then?”

“I'm coming back to the apartment and gonna head off to bed, this spy stuff is tiring!”, he chuckled.

Don chuckled too, “Well thanks again, you want me to call you next time?”

“Sure thing, maybe next time I can stay a bit closer. You still on for tomorrow night?”

“Yeah, I'll see you about six thirty; it starts at seven”, Don replied.

······················

The entry-phone buzzed, Don looked at the clock as he answered it. “Yeah?”

“It's me.”

Don pressed the button and heard the door open.

A moment later Jack walked in with a smile on his face, “You guys ready?” he asked.

“Will be in a minute. Hussein is just getting his jacket”, he said as he patted his pockets checking he'd got the tickets. “I'm looking forward to this, and Gordy is so keen we're there to see him”, he smiled.

Jack grinned, “I bet he's got nerves, I'm not sure I could do something like that.”

“Something like what?” Hussein asked, as he came into the lounge, “Oh, and Hi, Jack”, he smiled, as he kissed Jack's cheek casually, raising a slight blush and a grin.

“Hey Hussein... Gordy, standing up there on stage in front of hundreds of people. I'd forget my lines or piss myself – probably both!”

Don and Hussein laughed, knowing how shy Jack could get around strangers, let alone having an audience.

“Okay, let's go”, Hussein said, and they trooped out the apartment and down into the street, chatting as they went.

In the theatre they settled into their seats and read the programme whilst the auditorium filled up. The lights went down and an expectant hush descended, all eyes focused on the stage as the curtains went up.

At intermission the three of them filed slowly to the bar for refreshments, grinning and laughing as they considered Gordy's performance so far. He was playing Corporal Nobby Nobbs of the Nightwatch, in Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett.

“He's really good, and his Scottish accent really works as Nobby,” Don said.

Hussein and Jack nodded. “And he has captured that mischievous nature too”, Jack added.

“I thought this amateur stuff was going to be, well, amateur”, Hussein said.

“It's really done well, and that tall guy playing Carrot is perfect, even to his red hair!”, Don laughed.

Hussein smiled and leaned into Don's shoulder, wrapping an arm around him and squeezing. “I'm so glad you insisted I come...”, he said, “... it's much more fun than going to the pub, or watching TV.” He let his arm drop and took Don's hand in his.

Jack watched the interplay between his two friends and wondered how Hussein could seem so into Don and yet be cheating on him. But was he cheating, or was Don imagining it? Since his failed attempt to follow Hussein the previous evening he'd almost convinced himself Don was correct but seeing the two of them like this, doubts were surfacing.

Jack trailed Don and Hussein as they returned to the auditorium hand-in-hand, whispering and smiling at each other as they shuffled slowly along in the crowd. Jack pondered some more. He was determined to get to the bottom of what was going on, because he didn't want to see Don suffering, especially as he knew how much Don loved Hussein. It made him feel angry that Hussein would treat Don this way.

After two curtain-calls the lights finally went out and the audience slowly filed out of the theatre, lots of laughter and lively conversation a testament to how well it had gone. Hussein dragged Don by the hand through the crowds as they fought their way into the street, Don grabbing Jack's hand to prevent them being separated.

Their faces flushed and grinning, they stood around discussing what to do next, and finally settled on a couple of drinks before heading home.

The pub was full and noisy, but they managed to find a table. Don and Hussein sat side-by-side on the bench seat, Jack opposite them on a stool. As they drank Jack sat quietly observing his friends in animated conversation, unable to hear most of it because of the noisy conversations going on around him, but couldn't miss seeing the loving touches as they teased each other. From time to time Don or Hussein would look over at him and smile reassuringly.

An hour later they were heading home through quiet streets, Don leaning into Hussein's side with Hussein's arm draped over his shoulders, linked arm-in-arm with Jack on his other side. They said their good-nights in the lobby before Jack headed down the corridor to his door. Don and Hussein waited for the elevator and then ascended the three floors to their own apartment.

······················

A week later Jack was out at a bar with Anita, his cousin and best friend since before they were old enough for school. They were sat near the window looking out at the early-evening crowds moving from bar to bar, laughing and joking as they compared notes on the hot guys. Their tastes in guys had always been very different, and it constantly amused Jack that the guys he thought hot – great bodies, usually slim and tall – didn't do anything for Anita. She was into the stockier, rugby-player type with a rough edge and broken nose, ones he was almost afraid of.

Pointing out one particular specimen Jack froze mid-sentence.

Anita looked at him questioningly, “What's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost.”

Jack pointed, “See those two, the Pakistani couple; the women is wearing a headscarf?”

Anita looked to where Jack was pointing into a side-street and saw a medium height dark complexioned, dark haired man dressed in a black leather jacket and brown pants walking with a short, youngish looking woman wearing conservative clothes and what seemed to be a religious headscarf. At least, it didn't look like a fashion accessory.

“That's Don's boyfriend, Hussein”, Jack said.

“What's he doing here?” Anita asked.

“I don't know, but something fishy is going on.” Jack looked puzzled.

“How do you mean?” Anita queried, confused by Jack's expression.

“If I tell you, you have to promise you won't tell anyone, and for gawd's sake don't let on to Don!”, Jack replied.

Anita nodded.

“Don thinks Hussein is cheating on him. I thought it was just Don's usual paranoia but I followed Hussein last week. I lost him in this run-down back street and since then I'm beginning to think Don is right and there's something going on.”

Anita nodded, then frowned. “But, what's that got to do with that woman? You don't think he's cheating... with a woman!? Maybe she's family?”, she said, her eyes wide in surprise.

“I didn't. I'm not sure. All his family lives up north and besides, when they visit, Don and Hussein always entertain them together. The weird part is that Hussein gets these phone calls on his work phone in the evenings and disappears off for an hour or two. He told Don he has to go back to the office to sort something out. But here he is out here; doesn't look like work to me.”

Anita watched as the couple left the side-street and walked quickly along the main thoroughfare.

Jack grabbed her hand, making her jump in surprise. “Come on, we've got to follow them”, he exclaimed.

Outside in the street Jack and Anita followed the Asian couple, keeping close to the doorways on the opposite side of the street, ready to dive into cover if Hussein should turn and look.

A few minutes later they stopped and watched as the couple entered a small restaurant and disappeared from view. They stood there watching, Jack wondering what to do. He flicked open his phone and pressed “3.” A moment later Don's voice was in his ear.

“Hey Don, it's Jack.”

“Hey man, how's things?” Don asked.

“Good thanks, I'm out with Anita in town.”

“Cool. We were having a night in front of the TV but he's had to go into work. I tried calling you earlier but it went through to voice-mail so I assumed you were busy.”

“I probably didn't have a signal, we were stuck in traffic in the basement parking garage at the shopping centre earlier. Listen, we've just seen Hussein.”

“Oh? Where?”

“On Mount Street. We were in a bar, and I spotted him across the street.”

“He said he was going into the office”, Don said, sounding confused.

“Well, they've just gone into a restaurant. We followed them. We're stood in the street outside now.”

“Them?!”, Don sounded shocked and upset.

“Yeah, and that's the funny thing. He's with a woman.”

There was silence at the other end of the connection as Don digested this unexpected revelation.

“Don?”

“Yeah, still here. I was just thinking. What does she look like?” Don asked.

“She's wearing a head-scarf, looks Pakistani to us. I don't recognise her. I don't think she's family - not someone I've met anyway.”

There was a gasp from Don, then he said, “Oh God, please no!”

Anita jumped and stared at Jack as he almost shouted, “What? What is it Don?”

“He told me a couple months ago his parents were still trying to persuade him into an arranged marriage. They were blackmailing him with family honour, the shame of it, being with another man, and a white Christian to boot. I thought it'd all blown over, but what if he's planning on going along with them?”

There were sounds of sobbing in Jack's ear. “Oh man, I dunno... it sorta makes sense but really, I can't imagine him with a woman!”, he said.

Don choked back his sobs, “What should I do?”

“Listen, let me and Anita see what we can find out here. We'll hang around and try to follow them and then let you know. You going to be okay?”

“I'll have to be.”

“Look, don't say anything to him about this until we know more, okay?”

“Okay”, Don replied in a small voice.

“I've gotta go, we'd best find a bar to hide out in until they leave. I'll call you later.”

“Thanks Jack.” The line went quiet as the connection dropped.

Jack looked at Anita and grimaced.

“Not good?” she asked.

Jack shook his head. “Not good at all. I hope we're wrong about this but Hussein told Don he had to go into the office, but here he is in that restaurant.”

Anita scowled, “It does suck. There's a bar a few doors down, you want to go wait there until they leave?”

“Do you mind?” Jack asked, a pleading look in his eyes.

“Of course not! If that shit is cheating on Don I'll bloody well throttle him!” she said, fire in her eyes.

Jack grinned, “You don't need to go that far Ani, but if you want to knee him in the balls, feel free!”

Anita smiled and took Jack's arm and they made their way into the bar she'd spotted and found a seat near the window.

“You go get the drinks and I'll keep a look-out”, Anita said.

An hour later they were on their third glass of wine, both sitting silently staring out the window, beginning to wonder if they'd missed Hussein leaving the restaurant. Jack was drumming his fingers on the table.

“There they come!”, Anita exclaimed, at the same time as Jack spotted Hussein and the mystery woman moving out into the street.

Jack flipped his phone open, pressed the camera button and aimed it across the street. The light wasn't good and the zoom didn't really help but he managed to capture several blurry photographs before the couple disappeared from view.

Jack and Anita ignored their unfinished drinks and left the bar as quick as they could, glad to see the couple ahead of them as they turned into the street.

“Look, would you mind, if they separate, if we split up and you follow him and I follow her? If I follow him and he sees me I'll have some awkward explaining to do.”

Anita giggled. “Wow, this is like a le Carré spy novel. I love it!”

Jack grinned. “Yeah, but don't go knocking him off, okay?”

Anita laughed, “Oh, I could so be the assassin... my stilettos have poison darts hidden in them. You can be Smiley, and I'll be... Connie Sachs.”

Jack put on a dead-pan face and did a fair imitation of Alec Guinness' George Smiley, “Well, let's not pretend we're not nervous.”

They weaved through the crowds of loud and boisterous drinkers as they endeavoured to keep Hussein and his mystery companion in sight.

They stopped and pressed back into the shadow of a doorway when Hussein and the woman suddenly stopped in the street and turned to face each other. There was a short conversation and then the woman crossed the street and walked off up an alley.

“You follow him, call me later let me know where he goes”, Jack said.

Anita nodded. “You be careful, I don't want to be coming down the police station later to bail you out for stalking some poor woman!”

Jack grinned, “Don't worry, I'll be good. See you later.” He gave Anita a kiss on the cheek and then crossed the road to follow his quarry.

······················

Two hours later Anita was relaxing with a glass of wine in front of the TV when her phone rang. She looked at the caller ID and then answered, “Hi Smiley, how'd it go?”

“Hey Anita. It went fine. How did you do?”

“Oh, great, no problems. I followed him for about five minutes. He had his car parked on a side-street. He drove off so I don't know where he went after that.”

There was a pause as Jack thought about it. “I'll check with Don tomorrow, find out what time Hussein got home.”

“So, what did the mystery woman do?” Anita asked.

“There's definitely something going on. She caught a bus. I got on it too. She got off not far from the place I lost Hussein last week when I was following him. I got off at the next stop and ran back but I couldn't see her so... I dunno...”, he trailed off, obviously thinking.

“Poor Don”, Anita said quietly.

“Yeah, he doesn't deserve this, but I still don't know what to tell him. I mean, we've not got any real proof that Hussein is cheating, although he is lying to Don, we know that.”

“I don't know what to say”, Anita said, “but if it were me I'd just have it out with Hussein.”

“I know, but Don's scared of upsetting him if he's wrong. I mean, if he accuses Hussein of cheating and he's wrong, that's going to make things worse because Don is going to feel guilty for doubting, and Hussein is going to think he's not trusted.”

Anita pouted, “Yeah, it is a tough one. I guess we'll just have to catch them at it then!”

“We?”, Jack queried.

“Yeah, oh come on Jack, you've got to let me help you, this is exciting!” Anita giggled.

“It isn't a game you know – this is Don's relationship we're dealing with.”

“I know Jack, I didn't mean to sound flippant. But, you've got to admit, two heads will be better than one, like tonight.”

“Hmm, yes, you're right there. Without you tonight I'd not have known who to follow, and I'd probably have followed Hussein”, Jack agreed.

“Okay, that's settled then, but how are we going to know when to follow them?” Anita asked.

“Well, Don calls me if Hussein says he's going back to the office in the evenings, and last time I waited in the garage and followed him in the car. I'd have to call you and somehow we'd have to meet up once I know where Hussein has gone.”

“I can do that, especially now I've got sat-nav in the car”, Anita replied.

“Okay, well lets make that our S.O.P. for now.”

“S.O.P.?” Anita queried.

“Standard operating procedure”, Jack explained.

“Oh, gotchya! Yeah, that's fine. When do you think next time will be?”

“Well, it could be any-time but so far it seems like once or twice a week, around 7pm”

“That works for me, I guess we can always eat on the move”, Anita said.

They said their goodbyes and Anita snuggled down into the sofa, trying to work out what she'd missed of the TV movie.

······················

The following day Jack met Don for lunch and explained what he and Anita had discovered the previous evening.

Jack could see Don was depressed over the news, but couldn't think of anything he could say or do to cheer him up, so just tried to provide good company.

They worked out Hussein had likely returned home immediately after Anita saw him drive off so they spent some time talking around the question of who the woman was, and what connection she had to Hussein.

“I really have a bad feeling about this”, Don concluded.

Jack nodded, “I'm starting to feel the same way, to be honest, but there's still something about it that doesn't make sense, though I'm damned if I can figure out what it is.”

“You're okay to try again next time he goes out?” Don asked.

“Yes, and Anita has offered to help too, which will make it easier”, Jack said.

“Tell her thanks from me; I just want this whole thing over with as soon as possible so I can get on with my life!”

Jack nodded his understanding and squeezed his friend's arm.

Don smiled weakly and then frowned as the possibility of being single again occurred to him.

“Well, I have to get back to work, are you going to be okay?” Jack asked, knowing his friend was far from being okay.

Don nodded, “I'll manage, I have to.”

On that note they went their separate ways, Jack hoping that something would happen sooner rather than later, before Don broke down over it.

······················

The call came five days later. Jack was peeling potatoes for dinner.

“He's just said he's going out at 7:30”, Don said.

“And it's a quarter to seven now... hmm... I have an idea”, Jack replied.

“What?” asked Don.

“I'll call Anita and ask her to head over to Winchester Street now, and see if he turns up or something. I'll follow him from here. That way we might find out where he got to last time.”

“You think he'll go to the same place?”

“I don't know, but if he is seeing this woman, then there's a good chance. Besides, we have nothing better right now”, Jack said.

“Yeah, that makes sense. Okay, well I'd best let you get moving then. Call me tomorrow?” Don said, a hint of desperation in his voice.

“I will, don't you worry. Got to go.”

Jack pressed “End” then “6” to speed-dial Anita. “Hey, it's Jack, are you up for a mission right now?”

“Hey Jack, oh wow, is something happening?” Anita asked.

“He's told Don he's going out at seven thirty. I figured it'd be a good plan if you headed over to where I lost him last time, park up, and see if you see anything. I'll follow him from here and call you from the car if something happens.”

“Okay, but where did he go last time?” Anita asked.

“Winchester Street – plug that into your sat-nav and get over there a.s.a.p. - your phone has a camera, right?”

“Yeah, of course! You want me to get some evidence?”

“If you can, but don't get spotted”, Jack warned.

“Check. Okay, I'd best go right now. I'll talk to you later. I'll text you when I'm there.”

“Thanks Ani, I appreciate it. See you later.”

Jack put the peeled potatoes in a bowl of water and then got himself ready. At 7.20 he made his way down to the garage and sat in his car, waiting for Hussein to leave.

······················

Anita pulled into Winchester Street and cruised to the end, looking for a good place to park up. She decided that half-way along, and facing the incoming vehicles, would be best. After turning around she parallel parked next to a waste skip sitting in the road in front of a house that was obviously undergoing some significant building work. She settled down to wait, sending a short text message to Jack: “In position, targets not in sight.”

She was pondering which CD to put on when she saw the woman she'd seen the previous week come out of a doorway and turn towards the end of the street, quickly walking away from her. She took a few shots with the camera-phone and then quickly made the decision to follow on foot.

Closing the car door quietly she crossed onto the opposite side and followed, keeping about ten seconds behind. She glanced across at the doorway the woman had come from as she passed by and noted the number 82 on the door. At the end of the street the woman turned left and Anita lost sight of her. With her pulse racing she increased her pace whilst still trying to look casual, desperate not to arouse suspicion.

She gave out a relieved sigh as she rounded the corner and saw the woman standing at a bus stop about two hundred meters away. Anita slowed her pace and approached the same bus stop, standing against a garden wall and taking out her phone trying not to draw attention to herself as the two of them waited. The woman, wearing a similar headscarf to the previous week, didn't seem to have even noticed she was there.

Flipping her phone open, she quickly typed a text to Jack: “Spotted woman. Came out of #82. Following on foot. Waiting for bus. Expect she is going into town.”

A few minutes later the woman stepped forward and put her arm out as a bus approached. Anita noted it was the number 24. She listened as the woman paid for her ticket, thankful she overheard the destination, and then moved forward and smiled at the driver. “City centre, please.”

The driver smiled back as she handed over the money and took the ticket and the change from the automated dispenser.

She moved to the back of the bus and sat down, aware that the woman she was following had gone upstairs but not wanting to draw too much attention to herself in case she was recognised later.

······················

Jack had just spotted Hussein entering the garage when his phone beeped. He checked the screen and saw the message from Anita. He quickly read it whilst waiting for Hussein to start his car, smiling as he started to put together a mental forecast of where they'd be heading. His bet was on the city centre.

Ten minutes later his guess was proved correct as he watched Hussein park up in a side-street, lock the car, and walk off briskly towards the square.

He got out the car and set off in the same direction, but made sure to hang back a long way in case Hussein should look round and spot him. He was almost sure he knew where they'd end up, anyway.

As he walked he typed a text message to Anita: “In town. H is walking towards the square. Am following.”

······················

Anita and Jack were stood in a restaurant doorway, looking at the menu in the window and pretending to be unsure of what to order, occasionally looking over their shoulders. Their focus was a small Islamic bookshop on the opposite side of the street that Hussein and the woman had entered separately about ten minutes previously.

“This is getting weirder”, Jack said.

“How weird?” Anita asked.

“Well, I know Hussein pretty well, and I've never seen him show any interest in religion... or reading books for that matter. What the hell is he doing in there?”

“Maybe there's some kind of Islamic marriage guidance section?” Anita giggled, not quite sure if she was joking or not.

“Well, one thing's for sure, we can't go in there”, Jack said.

Anita nodded. “Do you think we can get some food, reading this menu is making my mouth water?”

Jack thought about it. “I don't think so, we don't know how long they'll be. How about grabbing a take-away, there's some kind of fast-food place just down the street and we can probably keep the bookshop in sight from there?”

“Okay, that sounds fair. I'll wait outside and watch since I'm least likely to be recognised if they come out whilst we're getting the food.”

They walked down the street to a family-run fast-food outlet that was obviously multi-cultural, with fish and chips, kebabs, pizzas, and burgers all displayed in mouth-watering images on a backlit sign above the counter.

“Burger?” Jack asked.

“Kebab, chicken please.” Anita said.

Jack nodded and went inside whilst Anita perched on the low window ledge in front and kept an eye on the street and the book-store.

A few minutes later they were walking slowly back down the street tucking into the hot food, both feeling less conspicuous having something to do besides stand around, as well as enjoying the food since they'd both missed their usual dinner at home.

They had just settled down on a bench seat at a bus stop when the woman came out of the book store and walked towards them. Anita turned her face away, towards Jack, hoping she wouldn't be recognised. Jack buried his face in his burger, trying to keep his eyes on the book store and the woman at the same time.

The woman walked passed on up the street, appearing not to notice them. Anita could feel her heart pounding and she could see the vein in Jack's neck pulsing, confirming he was feeling the same way.

“Do we follow her?” Anita asked.

“I'm not sure, but I think not. My guess is she's going back to Winchester Street. Let's hang around here and see what Hussein does. I can drive you back to your car when we're done.”

Anita nodded and smiled, then walked over to the trash can and pushed the wrapper and remains of the kebab into it. “I'm suddenly not hungry” she said, trying to quell the knots in her tummy.

Jack nodded his understanding but was still taking large enthusiastic bites out of his burger. A string of cheese was hanging from his chin and Anita laughed, reaching up and wiping it away.

Another half hour went by and Jack was beginning to think they should call it off. They'd spent the time speculating on what Hussein was doing in there, and wondering if maybe he'd gone out through a back way. Jack was ready to agree that was likely and get back to his warm apartment instead of freezing his nad's off hanging around like a teenager in front of a liquor store.

Anita grabbed his arm. “Don't look now, but he's just come out and he's headed this way.”

Jack thought rapidly. “Okay, let's walk ahead of him, and quickly, I can't risk him recognising me.” He grabbed Anita's hand and almost dragged her along as he walked away rapidly.

Anita took a glance over her shoulder, “Relax, he's not walking fast. Let's go into this store and let him walk past, and then we can follow.”

They walked into the late-night convenience store and browsed the shelves, Jack making sure he was out of sight of the window until Hussein had gone by. Anita took his arm and they walked back onto the street, waiting until Hussein was fifty meters ahead before following.

To the rest of the world they looked like a couple out for a stroll, window-shopping and chatting, but for them it felt like they were secret agents and the fear they both felt was very real as they passed through the shadows and lit doorways.

They stayed back but it was pretty clear Hussein was heading back to his car. Jack opened his phone and called Don. He explained what they had witnessed and that they thought Hussein would be home very soon. Don was even more perplexed than Jack had been when Jack explained about the book store.

“The more I find out, the less it makes sense!” Don exclaimed.

“You're not the only one confused”, Jack told him.

“I thought you'd catch him going into a gay bar with a guy, or visiting some guy's house. I suppose I should be grateful it isn't a guy at least, but if he's planning on doing what his parents want then it still means it'll be all over between us”, Don said.

“Maybe we can find out something from the electoral roll, with Anita getting the house number”, Jack said.

“Yeah, though unless it was a family member I don't think I'd recognise any names.”

“Well, let's wait and see what we find out. You better get yourself calmed down before he gets back otherwise he might start wondering what's up with you, too!” Jack said.

“Yeah, it's getting harder to hide it from him. I just want to scream at him so much!”

“Don't do that – at least not yet – give us a bit more time to find something out. Call me next time he leaves the apartment.”

“Okay Jack... thanks man, I really couldn't handle this without you.”

“You're welcome Don, I'll see you tomorrow, okay?”

“Yeah, night mate. Say thanks to Anita for me too.”

“Will do”, said Jack, and closed his phone. “Don says thanks for helping”, he told Anita.

She smiled and pulled Jack closer as they strolled along. “Are we going to follow Hussein to his car?”

“Yes, but we'll let him go then I'll drive you to yours.”

Anita nodded and smiled. “I think we've done well tonight, although I'm not sure what it all means. It's like a jigsaw puzzle and we have loads of missing pieces and no corners!”

Jack smiled, knowing precisely what she meant. He was beginning to wonder if they'd ever solve the mystery before Don fell apart over it.

······················

The following night Don was half way through preparing their dinner when he heard Hussein's dreaded work phone ringing in the briefcase he always kept it locked inside. Hussein smiled apologetically at him from the sofa, and got up.

Spinning the combination locks he opened the briefcase and took out the phone. As he raised it to his ear he walked off into the bedroom and quietly closed the door behind him.

Don watched his retreating back and all the confusion and frustration and anger of the past few weeks boiled within him. Not thinking what he was doing he put down the spoon he was holding and tip-toed along the hall and stood with his ear to the bedroom door.

He could hear Hussein's voice, but it was muffled and indistinct. It sounded as if it was coming from the en-suite bathroom. Gingerly he put his hand on the bedroom door handle and turned, pulling the door towards him to avoid it clicking as the catch withdrew. He pushed it open a couple of inches, in time to hear “...okay, I'll see you in half an hour. Love you too.”

He froze when he heard those final words. They were the confirmation he'd been dreading, and they'd come from his boyfriend's own lips. His mind was in turmoil, flashbacks to all the times Hussein had used the excuse of the office needing him, now knowing that every time he'd been going off to see someone else, cheating on him, and what was worse he realised suddenly, it wasn't even another man. If Don couldn't even keep his boyfriend from turning straight, what hope did he have?

Don was still stood there, hand gripping the door handle tightly, when Hussein pulled the door open. He was surprised and shocked to see Don standing there, his face looking white as a sheet, with a look of defeat and yes, anger, directed at him.

“Don, are you all right, babes?”

Don stared at him, unmoving. His voice came out in a whisper, “No, I'm not all right actually.”

“What's wrong, you've not burnt the dinner again have you?” Hussein asked, grinning uncertainly.

Don spoke quietly, “I overheard your conversation. 'Love you too' you said.” Suddenly he flipped and started screaming, “You fucking lying cheating bastard! All this time you've been going into the 'office' and really you're shagging some cheap whore!”

Hussein recoiled in shock at the outburst, so surprised he was speechless.

Don continued, “What was it? Did mummy and daddy bribe you with the inheritance? Are you whoring yourself to some floosie, a woman for fuck's sake, just because the folks disapprove of your homo lifestyle?”

Hussein stared at Don, “Don, babes, you've got it totally wrong. I'm not cheating on you, I could never do that. It was work on the phone.”

Don's screaming went up an octave, “Don't fucking lie to me, at least show me some respect, I know you've been seeing this woman, Jack followed you – he saw you!”

Don saw Hussein blanch and a look of guilt in his eyes. “So, it is true then?” he said, not really needing verbal confirmation now.

Hussein looked away and shook his head, “Don, no... you've got it wrong, I swear I'm not cheating. It's work, that's all.”

Don, usually a gentle person, felt the rage boiling inside him, his guts felt like they were on fire. He turned as if to walk away, and then swung his fist back with all the anger behind it.

Hussein went down like he'd been pole-axed. Stunned, he lay on the bedroom floor. He raised his hand to his face and was shocked to discover he was bleeding profusely from a cut across his cheek. He felt dizzy and slightly nauseous.

Don stared down at Hussein, shocked at what he'd just done, but not in any mood to apologise or back off. “Get out! Just get out, I don't want to see you again, I've had enough of your lying and cheating.”

Hussein was staring at him, his mouth hanging open as he felt the blood running down his chin. “You don't mean that.”

“I do. Get out. Now. Go to your bit of skirt, but don't come back.”

Hussein tried again, “Don, please, you've got it wrong, there's a perfectly rational explanation.”

Don looked at him, “I'm waiting, go on, and I'll know if it's not the truth.”

Hussein sighed and looked away, “It is work Don, you've got to believe me, but I can't tell you anything more than that.”

“That's not good enough, Hussein. We're supposed to be partners; no secrets. And here you are creeping around behind my back, lying about where you're going. Go on, get out, I don't want to see you any more.” Don turned on his heel and walked into the lounge, collapsing on the sofa.

His body started trembling as the effects of the last few minutes hit home. In the background he could hear Hussein cleaning himself up in the bathroom.

A minute or two later Hussein stood in the lounge doorway, “Don, I'll talk to you...”

“No, you won't talk to me. I don't want to hear any more lies, just go, before I say something I'll regret.”

Hussein stared at Don for a few seconds, then sighed and reluctantly walked quietly down the hall and out the door.

When Don heard the latch click he let out a sob. His body began shaking uncontrollably, the sobbing became so hard he could hardly breathe.

Ten minutes later he was still sobbing and shaking but he knew he had to get help. He picked up his phone and called Jack.

“I've just caught him at it, I've thrown him out”, he said.

“I'll be right there”, Jack said, and dropped the connection.

······················

Jack was there inside a minute. Don was in a terrible state, shaking almost to the point of convulsions, sobbing harder than Jack had ever seen him cry before. He tried to provide some comfort but all he could do was sit and watch and wait, his hand on his friend's shoulder as he cried.

He decided he needed help and called Anita. Briefly explaining the situation, she agreed to head over immediately.

Don was still crying when Anita arrived. Jack was getting worried by this time and dragged Anita into the kitchen and whispered what he knew to her. Anita filled a glass with water and took it to Don. “Here love, have a sip of this, you can't keep on like this, it'll make you ill.”

Don looked at the glass and then took a sip. Anita sat down beside him and squeezed his arm. Jack sat down in the armchair opposite and watched, not saying anything.

After a while the sobbing subsided. Don was still shaking but not as bad as when Jack had arrived.

“Can you tell us what happened?” Anita asked.

Don looked at her blankly for a moment and then nodded slowly. They watched as he tried to pull himself together.

“I caught him on the phone to her. I heard him say 'I love you'. I challenged him on it, told him I overheard, that Jack had seen him with her. He still denied it, said it was work.”

He sniffed and wiped his sleeve across his face. Jack and Anita waited patiently.

“I was so angry with him, denying it to my face. I hit him.”

Jack and Anita looked at each other, shocked. “Where?” asked Jack.

“In the bedroom”, replied Don.

“No, I mean, whereabouts on his body did you hit him?” Jack said, trying hard to suppress a chuckle.

“Oh, in the face. I cut his cheek, he was bleeding. He fell on the floor.”

Jack and Anita stared at Don, almost impressed. Neither had ever imagined Don had a violent streak in him.

“Where is he now?” Anita asked.

“I don't know. I don't care. I told him to get out and stay out, not to come back. I told him it's over.”

Anita wrapped her arm around Don's shoulders and pulled him close. Jack got up and sat on the other side of Don and did the same. The three of them held the hug for a few minutes before Don sighed. “Thanks guys, I needed that.”

“Do you want someone to stay with you tonight?” Jack asked.

“Would you mind?” Don replied.

“No, of course not! Let me run down to my place whilst Anita is still here, grab a few things and my toothbrush.”

Don nodded, and Jack smiled to Anita before heading off to his apartment.

Anita and Don sat silently, Don lost in thoughts while Anita gave his shoulders the occasional comforting squeeze.

When Jack returned he handed Don a packet of Sleep Well tablets, “You'll probably find these will help you tonight.”

Don nodded and looked at the packet. Anita stayed a while longer before leaving them, telling Don if he needed anything to call her. She promised to come over the following night as soon as she finished work.

Jack hugged her and saw her to the door, “Thanks for everything, Ani. I'm going to get him to call in sick tomorrow, there's no way he can go to work in the state he's in.”

Jack got Don into bed and then settled himself in the guest room. He lay awake for a long time, his heart aching at the sound of Don crying himself to sleep, wishing their suspicions had been wrong.

······················

The next morning Jack called into work and booked a day off, explaining he needed to look after a friend who'd fallen ill. Then he called Don's office and reported him sick and said he'd let them know later how long he was likely to be off.

Around 9am he poked his head around Don's bedroom door. Don looked exhausted but was gently snoring so Jack decided to leave him, let him get as much sleep as possible.

He sat on the sofa most of the morning, flicking through the TV channels listlessly, unable to settle on one channel for long. In the end he left it on the twenty-four hour news channel.

He was still thinking about how suddenly things had changed the previous night. He wondered what Hussein had thought when Don floored him – he'd certainly have got the message.

Around midday Don shuffled into the lounge in his boxers, looking dishevelled and very alone. Jack patted the sofa besides him and Don sat down.

“How you feeling?” Jack asked.

“Not great. Thanks for being here”, Don said.

Jack wrapped an arm around Don and pulled him close. Don snuggled down onto Jack's chest and sighed. A few minutes later Jack realised Don was asleep, the gentle snores being a big clue.

After half an hour Don woke up, looking embarrassed when he realised he'd fallen asleep on his friend. Jack waved him off, telling him to go take a long hot shower and put some fresh clothes on, whilst he made lunch.

Whilst Don showered Jack was busy in the kitchen. He'd just put pies in the oven when a phone rang. He realised it was Don's, lying where he'd left it the night before on the coffee table. He picked it up and saw the caller ID: “Hussein.”

He pressed the green button and said tersely, “Yes?”

There was a moment of confusion, “Don?”

“No, it's Jack. What do you want?”

“Jack, you're with Don?”

“Yes. I thought he needed someone who cared about him right now.”

“Thanks Jack, I feel a bit better knowing you're there.”

“I don't need your thanks, if it weren't for you this would never have happened. Don's heartbroken. How could you cheat on him like this?”

“What? Not you too, I haven't cheated on him...” Hussein began.

“Don't give me that crap, we saw you with that woman.”

“Jack, that's just work...”

“Bullshit. We even know where she lives... 86 Winchester street ring any bells, eh Hussein?”

“Oh Shit!” Hussein said and went quiet.

“Yeah, so at least have the decency to be honest when you're caught out”, Jack snarled.

“Jack, honestly, it's not what you're thinking”, Hussein said, almost pleading to be believed.

“Yeah, then what is it?” asked Jack.

There was a long pause.

“I... I can't tell you. I want to, but I can't.” Jack could hear Hussein crying now.

“Yeah? Well in that case I think you should arrange a time to collect your stuff, because Don doesn't want you around here any more, capiche?”

Jack hit the red button and dropped the phone on the sofa, feeling better now he'd had chance to vent at Hussein. He decided not to tell Don about the call for now, because it would probably only start him crying again.

When Don returned from the shower dressed and looking presentable, they sat down to lunch. Jack watched as Don stared at his plate, pushing the food around but not eating.

“It'll help if you can eat a little bit”, Jack suggested.

Don nodded, but said nothing.

When Jack cleared the plates away there was still half the meal left on Don's, but Jack felt relieved he'd eaten something. He wasn't going to start pestering him over it on top of everything else Don was dealing with.

After lunch they sat together on the sofa and watched more TV, Don still silent and lost in his thoughts. Jack knew Don needed this silent time, didn't want people asking him if he was okay all the time, but appreciated them being close.

The afternoon passed quickly. Both of them had dozed off and Jack was woken by knocking at the door. He looked at the clock and was surprised to see it was almost six. He went to the door and peeped through the spy-hole. Anita was sticking her tongue out at him, and he laughed. Opening the door he held out his arms and the pair hugged.

As he led her down the hall into the lounge, Anita asked, “How's Don doing?”

“As well as can be expected, I guess. He slept until lunchtime, had a little bit to eat, and has been dozing on the sofa since.”

As they passed the guest room Jack pulled Anita inside and closed the door. “Hussein called earlier, whilst Don was in the shower, so I talked to him.”

Anita looked at Jack, waiting for more.

“He denied it; he had no explanation”, Jack told her, “but when I mentioned the address you saw that woman coming out of, he sounded like he knew he'd been caught out. I told him to arrange to collect his stuff.”

Anita nodded in agreement, “And if I see that bastard I'll crush his nuts to powder!”

Jack grinned, wincing at the thought of what Anita's temper could do to his nuts.

Back in the lounge the three of them sat on the sofa. Jack and Anita exchanged small talk during the adverts between shows. Don just stared at the TV, not seeming to hear their conversation.

At 8.30pm Jack ordered a pizza delivery because neither he nor Anita felt like cooking. Just as the 9pm news was starting the door-bell went. Jack grabbed his wallet and headed for the door whilst Anita was sat with her arm around Don.

Jack opened the door, expecting to see the pizza delivery boy, but was surprised and shocked to see Hussein.

Jack scowled. “You haven't picked the best time to collect your stuff.”

“I'm not here for that, I've come to talk to Don”, said Hussein.

“Well, he doesn't want to talk to you.”

“Jack...”, Hussein pleaded, “... please, you've got it all wrong, I can explain.”

“No Hussein, you listen to me. You've got it all wrong. You got it all wrong when you lied to Don. You got it all wrong when you cheated. You've hurt him once, I'm not going to let you get the chance a second time.”

Hussein stared at Jack, trying to think of something to say. Jack didn't give him chance to reply though, and closed the door in his face.

As he turned back towards the lounge Anita called excitedly, “Jack! quick, come look at this!”

Jack had just entered the lounge and was looking at the TV where Anita was pointing, her mouth hanging open and a look of surprise and shock on her face, when the door-bell sounded again.

Jack sighed, and returned the way he'd come. He used the spy-hole this time and saw with relief it was the pizza delivery boy.

Opening the door, he smiled as he took the pizzas and waited for the change. He gave the guy a tip and was closing the door when a foot stopped it. He looked down, then up into Hussein's face.

“Jack, please, let me come in. I'll tell you the truth, I promise. I'll lose my job, and god knows what else will happen, but I'll tell you the truth.”

Jack looked at Hussein, thrown by his statement, not quite sure what he meant. He could see there was sincerity and resignation in Hussein's eyes.

“Jack, come quick!” Anita shouted.

Jack looked back towards the lounge, then down at the pizzas. “Okay, but if Don asks you to leave, you go, immediately.”

Hussein nodded and smiled weakly, “That's fine, Jack, thanks. I just want to explain.”

Jack felt almost like a traitor as he led Hussein down the hall and into the lounge. Anita was still staring at the TV, and Don seemed to be taking an interest in it too.

Jack put the pizzas down on the table and Anita turned to him, then noticing Hussein for the first time, she scowled and then looked puzzled.

Jack shrugged, “He just wants to explain. He promised to tell the truth.”

Anita moved over to Jack and whispered, “I need to talk to you in the kitchen, now!”

Jack looked undecided, not wanting to leave Don alone with Hussein. He pointed at Hussein, “You stay there, don't move, don't say a word, until I come back.”

Hussein nodded, accepting Jack's terms.

Anita dragged Jack into the kitchen. “You were right, something funny is going on”, she told him.

Jack looked confused, “What are you on about?”

“You know that house I saw that woman come out of?”

Jack nodded.

“It's just been on the news.”

Jack looked confused, “How do you mean?”

“The street has been sealed off, and there's police and forensics officers in white suits crawling all over it. The report says it's a suspected terrorist bomb-making factory.”

Jack stared at her, trying to piece together what he was hearing with what they'd discovered.

“Jack, that means that woman is somehow involved... and maybe Hussein too!”

A look of fear crossed Jack's face as the implications finally sunk in. “You mean... you think he's a terrorist!?”

Anita stared at Jack. “I don't know, but you've just let him in and he's stood in the lounge right now.”

“Shit!” Jack exclaimed, and then, “Have you got your phone on you?”

Anita nodded.

“Call the cops; get them here as quick as possible.”

“Jack, what are you going to do?”

“I'm going to keep him occupied, whatever, if you hear anything... bad... happening, push the fridge in front of the door and don't open it until I tell you, okay?”

Anita looked scared, but nodded.

“Okay, get on that phone and stay on it until help arrives. I'm going to keep him distracted.”

Jack took a deep breath and then walked out of the kitchen, pulling the door firmly to behind him.

Hussein was stood where Jack had left him, watching the TV. Jack looked and recognised the street he'd followed Hussein to not so long before.

“You'd better sit down, in the armchair”, he told Hussein.

Jack sat down on the sofa and put his hand on Don's knee. Don looked up and gasped, noticing Hussein for the first time.

“He says he's come to explain”, Jack said.

Don stared but said nothing.

Jack looked over at Hussein, “Go on then, let's hear this 'truth' of yours then.”

“Don, first, you've got to believe me, I didn't want to lie to you, but I had no choice.”

“Of course you had a choice”, Jack interjected.

“Please, Jack, hear me out?”, Hussein pleaded.

When Jack didn't say anything else, Hussein took that as an okay to continue.

“First, what I told you about those phone calls being work, was true. It's just that my work... isn't the work you think it is.”

Don looked at Jack, both of them puzzled.

“Second, I'm not, never have, and never would cheat on you.”

”Third, that floosie as you described her, means nothing to me, she is my... assignment.”

Don and Jack were looking more confused.

“Jack, you mentioned 86 Winchester Street. How did you know about that place?” Hussein asked.

“I followed you to that street, but I lost you. Then Anita and me saw you in town going into a restaurant with that woman, and then later Anita saw her come out of that house the night you met her in that Islamic book store.”

Hussein nodded, his expression clearing as he seemed to be working something out. “Okay, and did you just see that house on TV?”

Jack shook his head, “No, but Anita did. She just told me about it.”

Hussein nodded again. He looked at Don this time. “Don, there's something I have to tell you, but I'd rather not say it in front of Jack... or anyone else.”

Don looked at Hussein, then at Jack. “If you've got anything to say to me, you can say it front of Jack or not at all.”

Hussein grimaced and looked at Jack.

“I'm not going anywhere”, Jack said.

Hussein sighed and shrugged, “Okay, but after I've explained you can't tell anyone and you might have to sign your lives away.”

Jack was feeling very confused by now, the conversation had taken a strange turn he wasn't able to follow. He could see that Don was feeling the same way.

Hussein looked back at Don. “Don, you know I work for the government right?”

“Yes, the Environment Agency”, Don replied.

“Actually Don, that's not quite true. I do work out of their offices and I have all the ID and stuff, but... my real job is working for the Security Service.”

Don looked more confused, but Jack's expression was one of deep thought.

“Don, the reason I have been going out at nights is to meet a contact. A woman. She can only get away for short periods in the evenings, so I have to go whenever she calls.”

“We've been watching that house for several months, and my job was to try and infiltrate it. I cultivated her friendship, pretended I was interested in her, in order to get information on what was going on in that house... the one on TV.”

“Don, I signed the Official Secrets Act. I'm not supposed to tell you any of this, I could end up in jail, but I can't let you think I would ever hurt you, cheat on you, the way you thought I did. I know I've hurt you through not telling you what was going on, but I wasn't allowed to.”

Jack slapped his knee, making the other two look over at him.

“Anita, it's Jack, come through here will you?” Jack shouted.

A moment later a scared looking Anita came into the lounge. “Is anything wrong?”

Jack smiled at her reassuringly, “Everything is fine, if you discount the fact that we've been bloody fools! You'd best tell the police we won't be needing them!”

“Are you sure?” Anita asked, looking very surprised.

“Positive, better cancel them before the door gets kicked in!” Jack said.

“Okay, if you're sure”, Anita said, and returned to the kitchen.

The others sat silently, waiting.

A couple of minutes later Anita returned. “Okay, they said they might send someone round later to check on us, but they know Hussein is here and he'll look after us – what do they mean?” she asked, looking as confused as Don.

“Well while we've been sneaking about playing secret agents after Hussein, he's actually been doing the same thing with that woman. Hussein, you'd better explain”, Jack said, looking at him, now with a smile.

Hussein nodded, understanding.

“I'm an intelligence agent, with the Security Service – better known as M.I.5.. I've been working on infiltrating a terror cell operating out of that house you saw on TV, and linked to that book shop you saw me at. I've got to say, you scared the living daylights out of me when you mentioned that address, because I thought I'd compromised the entire operation and the people would escape before we could move on them.”

Jack grinned, “Now it's all starting to make sense.”

For the first time, Don spoke up. “So, all those phone calls, they were work, you were... how do they put it in the movies?... cultivating a contact?”

Hussein smiled and nodded.

“And all those times you disappeared or were working late?” Don continued.

“Either meetings at short notice when she could get out the house, when the others weren't watching her, or when I was on stake-out in the houses opposite.”

“So all this time you've let me think you're a flood prevention engineer, that's just a cover for your real work?” Don asked.

“I am qualified as that, I was recruited after I graduated, and the role allows me to move around, poke around places, without too many questions being asked, especially after the recent summer floods.”

Don stood up. “Oh Hussein, I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry”, he started crying but continued, “all this time I've been paranoid you were cheating on me, or going to dump me for a woman...”

“I'd never do that you to you, you should know that”, Hussein said, quietly.

“How could you let me hit you? Oh god, I feel so awful! There you are trying to protect us all with your job, and I go and spoil it with my petty paranoia. I'm so so sorry.” He began sobbing.

Hussein stood up and opened his arms, inviting Don into them. “Don, babes, I love you. I forgive you, if I'd told you what was going on in the beginning this never would have happened. It's me that should be apologising, I've only got myself to blame.”

Jack and Anita watched as Don and Hussein finally embraced, Hussein now as emotional as Don. After a few minutes Jack and Anita stood and joined the other two in a hug and they stayed that way for ten minutes, all of them crying, though tears of happiness and relief rather than anguish, now.

Eventually the group separated. Don went to fetch a handkerchief to wipe his eyes. Hussein offered his hand to Jack, “No hard feelings?”

Jack smiled, “No hard feelings. I'm really sorry we jumped to the wrong conclusion Hussein.”

Hussein smiled and shook Jack's hand, and then fell back as Anita wrapped her arms around him and kissed his cheeks.

“Will you two excuse me for a moment, I need a moment with Don alone.”

Jack and Anita nodded as Hussein walked back to the bedroom where the night before he had been lying bleeding.

Don was stood in front of the bathroom mirror, wiping his face with a flannel. He looked up as Hussein entered and smiled.

Hussein smiled back, “From now on babes, I promise you, no more living in the shadows.”

Copyright © 2010 Tristan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2008 - Spring - Living in the Shadows Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..