Wolfram|Alpha

Emulated

Hey all!

I'm not sure how many of you know about Wolfram|Alpha, so I'll take a minute to describe to you what it is and how it differs from the likes of Google/Yahoo.

Simply put: Wolfram|Alpha is a search engine (the makers call it a knowledge engine). You submit a query, it goes off and does its thing, and then it presents you with a result. But while Google/Yahoo search other websites for an answer, Wolfram|Alpha itself knows the answer to your query.

By using some complex algorithms and magic ;) , it understands what you're asking (even if you dress up the question) and searches its own directory of facts/data, which it then presents to you in a clear manner.

It sounds more complicated than it is, so watch a demo given by Mr Wolfram himself here.

So why am I mentioning this now? Well the system/infrastructure has been in development for a number of years, but it should be available to the general public tomorrow. (Saturday).

There's also a live webcast of the system going online at: 8pm EDT | 5pm PDT | 12am UTC, (Friday), viewable here.

If the system lives up to its claims then it will be one of my frequent point of calls when I have a question. If it doesn't work, there's always wiki...

Emulated

Wolfram is the brains behind the software called Mathmatica and a major book on cellular automation.

This guy is an amazing individual and I'm excited to see what he has come up with.