Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Forgiveness in Japan

Tiger

I've noticed that it is very common in anime for someone to say, "I won't forgive you!" I've been thinking about it. It must signify that forgiveness is a MAJOR issue in Japan as it's often the antagonists on the receiving end of those words. It's not something I would bother to say to one of the bad guys, and yet, it seems to be shocking in Japan. Can anyone explain the differences?

I've noticed that it is very common in anime for someone to say, "I won't forgive you!" I've been thinking about it. It must signify that forgiveness is a MAJOR issue in Japan as it's often the antagonists on the receiving end of those words. It's not something I would bother to say to one of the bad guys, and yet, it seems to be shocking in Japan. Can anyone explain the differences?

Forgiveness is a major issue, both in the Japanese religion(s) and in their personal philosophies. I haven't done a very though examination of the topic, but from what I can gather through my own observations is that it's centralized around the Japanese code of honor. Not attaining forgiveness is a slight against the other person's (the villain's) honor. Not attaining forgiveness for a misdeed would be in direct conflict with several tenets of Bushidou, including but not limited to: honor, benevolence, and courtesy.

Another way of thinking of it would be "I will remember the wrong you've done unto me". This sort of vendetta-like thinking follows through families and can (if one believes such things) possibly risk one's entrance into Heaven. Depending on the era, it could also involve a vassal's lord into the issue, for the one who is slighted would have full right to seek reparations from (the villain's lord). Wars have been fought over the issue of forgiveness (among other things, of course.)

^_^ I hope that helps somewhat.

• Like 1