Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Malpractice - 4. Chapter 4

How will Remi ever tell his brothers?

The day after that disturbing phone call, Remmington Montague headed straight for the forensics lab at the New Jersey field office he worked out of. His brother, Jason, was the leading expert on trace analysis and also worked with the DNA lab. The whole way to the office from his apartment, Remi was trying to figure out how to break it to his younger brother that the serial killer they were hunting had their mother. His older brother, Nicholas was the Medical Examiner at the same field office. He, too, was respected as an expert in his field. Remi wasn’t sure who it would be harder to break the news to.

He’d broken news like this to many families and loved ones in the past. Their reactions had ranged from fear, to anger, to disbelief and denial, to a determination to find the missing person that sometimes became a detriment to the case and more than once put themselves in danger. This time, though, it was personal. With their father having been killed in the line of duty some twenty years ago, their mother was all Remmington, Jason and their eldest brother Nicholas had left. She was the glue that held their family together, and Remi was not about to let it fall apart.

As Remi got into the car his father had left him, a cherry red 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500 convertible with black racing stripes, he found himself going through a gambit of emotions. He was angry with the killer for having the audacity to make this personal; he was angry with himself for not having seen it coming and protecting his mother; he was scared he may lose her; most of all, he was more motivated than he’d been in the five years since this case began to catch the creepy, sadistic little bastard and bring him to justice. Now his motivation had changed from a feeling of deep disgust to a quest for revenge. Now Remi had to push all that aside and prepare to break the news to Jason and Nicholas.

Pulling up to the FBI building in Trenton, Remi did a quick scan of the vehicles in the parking garage as he drove up to his parking space in the section reserved for the B.A.U. team. Both of his brothers were already there. He saw Nick’s Harley Davidson in the M.E.’s spot on the ground floor of the parking structure, and Jason’s Ford Explorer Hybrid on the third floor, level with the CSI lab. Remmington couldn’t decide if it would be better to break the news to them at work in a controlled environment, or at dinner in a public place, or maybe invite them over to his place for poker night and tell them then.

The one person Remi knew he couldn’t tell that Burris had his mother was Alexa’s father, the Director of the F.B.I. Director Maguire had been visiting the New Jersey office when the last body was pulled out of the Hudson 6 months ago. He was originally taking victims once a year as far as the F.B.I. knew. Now there were 2 victims in 6 months. Burris was escalating.

Copyright © 2011 AranaDarkwolf; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..