Jump to content
    David McLeod
  • Author
  • 922 Words
  • 2,854 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Arthur in Eblis - 4. Chapter 4: Haley—The Mysteries

Chapter 4: Haley—The Mysteries

 

Sweet, too, O shepherd, are thy melodies,
And only Pan can wrest from thee the prize.

—Theocritus, Idylls

Jason fingered notes on the flute. He played an old song, the first one Haley had taught him. Beside him, Haley’s clear soprano cracked into a boy’s alto. “Ulp!” Haley said. “Can we start over?” He giggled self-consciously.

“Haley,” Jason said, “your voice is changing, isn’t it? How long has it been since your testicles descended?”

In the gathering darkness of the summer evening, Haley blushed. He had noticed, and thanks to his Gram’s teaching, knew what it meant. He had, however, been reluctant to say anything.

“Just at midsummer,” he said.

“That means you’re a boy, now,” Jason said. “When we get home, you can be initiated into The Mysteries. Who will you ask? A brother? A cousin? A—” The boy’s mouth snapped shut.

The look of anguish on Jason’s face told Haley the boy wasn’t being cruel. Haley had no brothers, uncles, or cousins. In his enthusiasm, Jason had forgotten. “I’m sorry, Haley, I didn’t mean to be hurtful,” Jason said.

“It’s okay, Jason,” Haley said. “I know you didn’t mean ill.” He paused to gather his breath, and then continued, “I guess the Headman will decide, since I have no father.”

Because the boy looked so despondent, Jason felt he had to speak. “Haley, I’m not supposed to ask, and it’s supposed to be your choice, and not the Headman’s, anyway. Would you let me initiate you?”

 

Haley’s cries of sexual awakening and discovery may have startled the sheep, but they said nothing, nor did they look any differently at the two boys the next morning. The sun woke the dogs, which came to nuzzle the boys awake.

Jason leaned over Haley and kissed him, gently. “Thank you, Haley. I was cruel to you, but you never let that defeat you. You returned my cruelty with kindness and honor. It is too soon for you to decide if you will be my friend, but I will be yours, forever.” The older boy stood and then quickly walked toward a bush to piss.

“Jason,” Haley said when the boy returned. “Thank you. You were never cruel. You never called me the dirty names the other boys did; you never tripped me to laugh when I fell. You didn’t do that in the village, and you didn’t do that here. Even at first, when you teased me, it was if you were doing—I don’t know—something that you didn’t want to do, but you felt like you had to do it. Your heart wasn’t in it. Why?”

The startled look on Jason’s face turned pensive as he looked down at his feet. Jason’s voice was soft. He spoke slowly. Sometimes, he choked on his words.

“The boys teased you because you were different. You seldom left the hut of your Gram on the edge of the village so you didn’t know. They teased me, too, because I am different. That’s why they sent the two of us to tend the sheep. That’s why they sent a child with a tween. They hated you, and they hated me, too.

“You’re different because of your leg, and because you live with your Gram, and because she teaches you magic.

“I’m different because I was born with magic. I can see if a person is telling the truth, or is lying. I can see when a person is about to get sick or hurt.” The boy’s voice lowered. “I can see when a person is about to die.”

Haley was afraid to ask how Jason knew someone was about to die, and Jason said no more. The younger boy took his new friend’s hand, and squeezed it. It was enough.

 

The boys counted the sheep, set the dogs to watch, and ate their meager supper. As the sun set, the western sky became like a purple-gray, and a Bright Traveler on its eternal journey among the stars peeped over the eastern horizon.

 

At last, the summer ended. The boys woke one morning to find that a cloud had caught on a mountaintop and left a sprinkle of snow on the peak. It would likely be gone by noon, but that was the customary signal to bring the sheep home. Men from the village also would have seen the snow. They would soon be on their way toward the meadow. The boys gathered the sheep and started the return trek.

The summer had been good to Haley. His muscles had hardened, and he could walk farther and faster than the spring before. The boys were nearly halfway home when they were met by the men from the village. The Headman immediately began counting the sheep, comparing the notches in their ears with the tally boards he carried. “You lost only one! We had feared more, with the heat and drought.”

Jason held up one of Haley’s baskets. “Haley made these. The sheep knew that they could get water from us and didn’t wander away. And, there were two of us with slings. Show ’em, Haley.”

Under the eyes of the men of the village, Haley loaded his sling. It spun in a blur above his head. There was a crack as the stone struck the limb of a sapling, breaking it so that it hung only from a strip of bark. The headman grunted, “That’s all very well. Now, get the sheep home.”

Copyright © 2013 David McLeod; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..