Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aglanthol 2 - Side Stories (The Legend of Murdock etc.) - 2. The Legend of Murdock

The Legend of Murdock

 

 

The legend says that foreigners came to the land long before the kingdom of Aglanthol was founded. The strangers had crossed the ocean. Their ships had landed in the north of the land. The foreigners had built a town, a seaport, because more immigrants were supposed to come to the country. This, however, never did happen. The first settlers were killed by the plague soon after their arrival and no more foreigners came to the continent. No one knew why they stopped their endeavours. Some said that the plague had killed all of them, also those back in their homeland. The natives passed on the story from generation to generation. Many details went into oblivion and the tale turned into a legend that only few still believed in. Juck Murdock believed in every word.

Juck Murdock was a young boy when he first heard of the tale. The story fascinated him and he made up fanciful stories of what had happened to the foreigners and where they had come from. Juck’s parents were amused by the child’s imagination. They did not realize that the boy’s interest was an almost obsession and Juck was clever enough to hide his unhealthy fascination.

The kingdom of Aglanthol had flourished. The kings had augmented power and had expanded the size of the kingdom. Tribes and clans that did not subdue to Aglanthol’s power were driven out of the country. One of those tribes were the Bre who later called themselves Khalindash after their mighty wizard Khaalindaan had been defeated by the Aglanthol wizard Norlorn. The surviving Bre lived in the north of the continent where the climate was harsh and the crops were bad. The clan was not a threat to the Aglanthol kingdom. The clan also was no threat to Juck Murdock.

Juck Murdock grew up like many Aglanthol children did. He was taught at home because there was no school in his village. The north of Aglanthol lacked infrastructure. The roads were bad, the houses and farms were small, and only a few villages had established schools. Juck Murdock learned from his father what he needed to know to survive and make a living. This was farming in the first place.

At the age of seventeen, Juck Murdock had learned all he needed to know to run a farm properly. Juck was the third of seven children. His eldest brother would inherit the farm. This was Aglanthol law and no one questioned it. The second born child, a daughter, was married to a farmer at the age of sixteen. She had left her home two years ago. The second daughter would turn sixteen in a couple of weeks and would leave the farm very soon. She would marry a widowed farmer. Juck Murdock would leave at about the same time. His father had found a good match for him.

Juck’s father had run into a fruit vendor at the harvest fair. The woman had lost her husband due to an accident. She was not able to maintain the farm on her own. And, unfortunately, she had no sons. She had an only child, a sixteen year old daughter. Her other children had all died of the fever. The woman was desperately looking for a new husband. But she looked old and worn, compared to her daughter who stood next to her in the stall. The candidates were only interested in the girl. They were more interested, however, in gaining a farm at a cheap price. The woman was desperate. She would soon give in. If she was not able to sell herself, she would sell her daughter. The fair would end in two days. Juck’s father was determined to seize the opportunity. His son Juck was the perfect match for the girl.

Old Murdock had spoken to the girl. The girl was skilled and familiar with the work on a farm. And, moreover, she had a soft spot that Old Murdock planned to use for his advantage. The girl had mentioned casually that she liked fairy tales. The average Aglanthol man was sober and realistic. He did not believe in legends and tales. But Old Murdock knew his son was different. His son Juck had a soft spot for tales.

Juck had accompanied his father. Old Murdock introduced him to the widow and her daughter. He casually mentioned a folk tale, and then involved the widow in a conversation on the quality of fruits and vegetables. Like he had expected, his son and the girl continued talking about the folk tale. After some moments of awkwardness and embarrassment, they engaged in a lively conversation. At the end of the day, Old Murdock had made the deal. The widow and her daughter were intrigued by Juck. The marriage date was fixed and Old Murdock and the widow discussed the details. The farm was Aleeza’s dowry. Juck would bring his knowledge and farming skills into the marriage. The couple would take care of the widow until the day of her death.

Juck moved to the village of Fanmil three weeks later and married Aleeza. The celebration was held by the local holy man. The whole village was invited to the widow’s farm that - according to Aglanthol’s marriage laws - was Juck’s farm from that day on. The people feasted until night fell and until they had to return to their own farms in order to attend to the cattle. Juck’s family had also come. They left the following day, however. The widow moved into a small cottage close to the main house as it was custom in Aglanthol. Aleeza and Juck spent their first night alone in the farm house.

They slept in the main bedroom. It made them ultimately aware that they now were husband and wife. They both had heard rumours of the wedding night. Brought up on a farm, they had seen animals coupling. However, they did not know what to do exactly. Juck felt some physical sensations that were familiar to him. Yet he did not know what to do. Aleeza did neither speak nor move. So they lay still in the darkness until finally Juck told Aleeza a story in order to get over the tension and embarrassment. The girl was excited and listened eagerly. That was how they got closer. At the end of the week and after many hours of exchanging stories, Juck finally dared to wrap his arms around Aleeza. Then everything happened quite naturally. Aleeza was pregnant soon. Their first child was born at the end of the summer the following year.

From that day on, things changed a bit. The newborn child fascinated Aleeza more than Juck’s stories did. She listened less attentively and often fell asleep before Juck had finished his tale. And she often rejected Juck’s embrace. They had their moments, but those usually ended up with Aleeza getting pregnant. Three years passed. Aleeza had born three children and was pregnant with the fourth. Everybody was pleased with how things went: Aleeza, her mother, Juck’s parents, Fanmil’s holy man and all the village people. Juck, however, was not.

Juck worked on the farm from morning to night. His days were long and his work was tedious. Aleeza was occupied with the household and the children. Aleeza’s mother one day had started to spend her days, morning to night, in Juck’s house and with Aleeza. Juck felt he was an intruder and just another piece of cattle. This unhealthy feeling grew worse over time and it depressed him. Juck turned to his stories again in order to distract himself. However, he did not tell them to Aleeza and her mother. Juck kept them all secret like he had done in the past. His stories grew more fantastic and fanciful every day. Juck dreamed all day long while doing his work on the farm. Neither Aleeza nor her mother noticed. They were occupied with other things.

One day, the ancient town came to Juck’s mind. He rejoiced. The old legend was good for a bunch of new stories that he would make up and that would fill many of his tedious days. Juck was occupied for a month. Juck started believing in his made-up stories. They were all so realistic. He was sure that he had re-invented the truth.

In autumn, Aleeza and her mother decided to visit the harvest fair. They would be away for a week and they would take the children with them. Juck rejoiced. His mind came up with a plan. He would travel north and visit the ancient town. He just needed someone to see to the cattle.

Juck hurried over to his neighbour soon after Aleeza, her mother and the children had left the farm. He asked the man to see to his cattle. The man was suspicious and straight forward asked if Juck wanted to visit the only brothel in the north of the country. It was located in one of the larger villages, a three hours ride from Fanmil. Juck, grateful for this perfect excuse, confirmed his neighbour’s assumption. The man gave him a disdainful look, but inwardly regretted he was not able to accompany Juck. That was how Juck and his neighbour’s secret arrangements started. Whenever there was an occasion, one of the men left the farm and the other saw to the cattle. While Juck travelled north to find the ancient town, his neighbour in fact travelled to the village with the brothel. The man told Juck of his exciting experiences. Juck then gave his neighbour a conspiratorial smile and quickly made up some morally doubtful stories. Their arrangement lasted for almost four years until, unfortunately, Juck’s neighbour died of the syphilis.

Juck had become increasingly restless in those four years. He had opportunity to leave the farm only rarely when Aleeza and her mother went to a fair, a wedding or a funeral of a relative in a village far away from Fanmil. Aleeza also regretted that she could not leave more often. Aleeza had lost interest in Juck’s stories a long time ago. She had matured and she had become realistic. She found Juck was a daydreamer, a blockhead, and a bore. In fact, Aleeza enjoyed her mother’s company more than she enjoyed Juck’s. Aleeza, over the years, had become more and more like her mother. The two women nagged and whined all day long. Their look was bitter and their laughs were sarcastic and they had become considerably overweight. They stayed away from Juck and Juck was pleased they did.

If only he could leave more often and explore the north of the country. So far, Juck had not found the ancient town. However, he had found a sign carved in a stone. Juck assumed the sign was a road sign and indicated the way to the ancient town. He was sure that he had finally found a path. It was summer. The harvest fair was months away. If not unexpectedly some relative married or died, Aleeza and her mother would not leave in the near future. Juck was restless. He was excited and barely able to sleep. And one day, he just left the farm. That was the first time that Juck Murdock disappeared without a word.

Juck rode north until he found the stone with the sign. He rode in the indicated direction, carefully looking out for more signs. He finally found one that was identical with the first. It was also carved in a stone. Juck felt that he was close to his goal. He detected more signs that the early natives had carved in stone in order to find the way north to the sea.

Juck rode north until he reached the ocean. He dismounted and looked out on the sea. Juck felt satisfied. He had not yet found the town, but he felt he was close to it. He had to ride back, unfortunately, for he was running out of supplies. But he would come back soon with more provisions and more equipment.

Juck had been absent for a week. Aleeza, her mother, and the village people were mad at him. The son of a farmer had seen to the cattle. Juck paid the man a fair compensation. The holy man talked with Juck and scolded him. Juck told him he had visited the brothel. Juck confessed some made-up sins and the holy man forgave him. The villagers ignored Juck for a couple of weeks. A few men, however, furtively cast him envious looks. Aleeza and her mother scolded him, and then Aleeza moved into a single room. Juck was pleased. And so was Aleeza. She finally had what she wanted and she could even reproach Juck with it.

Aleeza was tired of the pregnancies and she was tired of feeling Juck close to her. In fact, she did not even mind he went to the brothel. That gave her the perfect excuse to never let her touch again. She would not leave him, however. A divorced woman had a bad reputation and would barely find a new husband. Life now was perfect for Aleeza. Juck had to see to her, their children, and her mother. And Aleeza was entirely in control of it. The villagers watched Juck. The man would not dare to make a wrong step. Juck, in Aleeza’s opinion, was not only a blockhead and a bore. He was also a coward.

Juck, however, was not. He had just not yet entirely caught up with the events. But reality slowly, gradually, dawned on him. He finally saw it all clearly. He saw through Aleeza. He understood her motives and goals. That was when Juck Murdock disappeared for the second time. From that day on, he travelled north regularly and he did not give a damn about what people said. The holy man had talked to him several times, but the man had finally given up. He cursed Juck Murdock instead.

Aleeza, her mother, and the children left after the holy man had spoken his curse. Aleeza and her mother had in vain tried to run the farm all by themselves. Aleeza’s mother had finally asked a farmer to come and take with him the cattle. The man pitied the women and he paid a fair price. Aleeza, her mother, and the children left Fanmil that very day. They travelled to a village farther north where a distant relative lived. The holy man of the village pitied them and looked for a place for them all. Two children were sent to a family who had no children of their own. Aleeza and the two younger children moved in with a widower twice the age of Aleeza. Aleeza’s mother was sent to an inn where she worked as a cook and a dishwasher.

Juck returned the day after Aleeza had left. A woman spat at him when he dismounted his horse. Juck did not care. His mind was occupied. He had found the old seaport. He had only come back to get more supplies and provisions. He did not think of Aleeza. He had other plans. Her fate did not matter to him. Juck planned to ultimately leave soon anyway. It was winter. But as soon as the road was passable again, he would leave for good.

The villagers, however, refused to trade with Juck. And so Juck started breaking into farm houses and stealing food and supplies. The villagers sent three big men to Juck’s house. The men came with weapons. They told him that he would be banned from the village if he broke into a house again. Juck, however, did not reply. He did not care. The time was near. The snowfalls had ended. He would leave the following day.

He just needed a few more supplies. Despite the villagers’ warning, Juck broke into the village store. A man caught him when he climbed out of the window. They struggled and fought. And then Juck cut the man’s throat. The man would not stop him. Juck had to leave and he would never return. Juck left the very night and rode north. The villagers banned him in absentia from the village and from the clan. No one saw Juck Murdock again and no one ever heard of him.

It is said that Juck Murdock found the ancient town and rebuilt the old seaport. Some say he even found the ancient ship and sailed off to the east. Others say he fell into the sea and the waves of the ocean took him with them.

Truth is Juck Murdock found the ancient town. But all he found were ruins. Juck Murdock in fact planned to rebuild the town and live there as a king in his own kingdom. His final journey, however, did not lead him back to the town. Juck Murdock’s horse bolted at the sight of a wild boar. Juck Murdock fell to the ground and broke his neck. He was instantly dead. Nobody found his body. Many centuries have passed and Juck Murdock’s body is long since decayed. And only a legend has remained.

2012 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..