Jump to content
    eliotmoore
  • Author
  • 278 Words
  • 838 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Janus - 2. Geographical Comments

The geographically inclined may be confused by the locale of this story. Two Canadian provinces were carved out of the greater North West Territories in 1905: Saskatchewan and Alberta . The division was politically motivated in much the same way the two Dakotas were created. One potential division plan was to retain the original three administrative regions of Alberta , Saskatchewan and Assiniboia. A great portion of northern Alberta and northern Saskatchewan would have remained as part of the Northwest Territories. I tend to set many of my stories in this alternate universe. I do this as an act of whimsy, but also as a way of freeing myself from preexisting geography and contemporary world history. The party occurs on a farm overlooking the great lake formed by a dam on the South Saskatchewan River in the vicinity of Elbow. My city of St. George is the capital of Assiniboia and sits where Moose Jaw lies today. Medicine Hat, Alberta lay on the western side of the District of Assiniboia so it is in the alternate Province of Assiniboia. Being on the South Saskatchewan river and lying in the center of an oil and gas field, it has become the prominent urban center for the province. Every alternate universe has a significant point of departure. The significant point in my universe was the decision in the 1880's to lay the Canadian Pacific Railroad main line through the northern park belt (the original plan) and not drive it across the less fertile southern short grass prairie. I could go on, but only a Western Canadian familiar with the history of the region would understand or be possibly interested.

Copyright © 2011 eliotmoore; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..