Jump to content
    jfalkon
  • Author
  • 1,504 Words
  • 719 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2007 - Annual - The Road Not Taken Entry

What Harriet did not Get for Christmas - 1. What Harriet did not Get for Christmas

Harriet sat by the window looking at the snow-covered landscape as she warmed her hands over a cup of coffee. It was a crisp winter day, perfect as a post card. A fire was crackling in the fireplace. Harriet’s husband Tom sat in front of it happily reading a book. The Christmas tree glittered and glowed and promised gifts. Harriet had every reason to be happy but at the moment she was mourning her grandchildren.

Harriet had three children. Her oldest, Suzan had given her one granddaughter. They had come to visit along with Suzan’s husband Jerry. Harriet’s first son Larry had also come with his wife. They did not have any children but there was always hope. The cause of Harriet’s grief was her youngest son Matt. Before he went off to college he told her that he was not planning to get married. He told her that he did not have any feelings for women. In that instant all her hopes for him shattered like icicles. She had imagined him married some day. In her mind’s eye she had seen his family but now they were gone. He was and always would be all alone.

The ringing of the phone startled Harriet. Tom picked it up. It was Matt. He was going to be late and he wanted to know if he could bring his roommate along. Harriet knew from hearing Tom’s side of the conversation that they would have an extra guest. It was a long-standing tradition. Every year someone would bring along a friend for Christmas Eve dinner.

As Harriet went to the kitchen to check on the roast in the oven, she heard footsteps. It was her son Larry and his wife Tina. They offered to help so she directed them to the dining room to set the table. She handed them a tablecloth and supervised as they put out the Christmas dishes.

They seemed the picture of marital bliss. Harriet sighed as she thought of Matt. He would never have that kind of happiness. She could somehow make her peace with him not having children but the idea of him being gay was unbearable. Her only comfort was in knowing that he had not been completely assimilated into the gay lifestyle. She dreaded the day when it would happen. She had seen gay men on television. They seemed to live in another world full of loud music and nightclubs.

She had watched as they gathered at night in their tight leather cloths. They prowled the bars looking for a fix and drowning whatever feelings they had in livid colored alcoholic concoctions. They went from lover to lover never finding love and finally succumbing to disease. It was a lonely cold reality broadcast from the streets of Los Angeles and New York. She shivered at the thought of her child living such a cursed life.

“Mom, is there anything else we can do?” asked Larry

“Oh, um, no, we just have to wait for the roast. Suzie and Jerry should be back soon,” answered Harriet.

“Where’s Matt? Wasn’t he supposed to be here at five?” asked Larry looking at his watch.

“He’s going to be a little late. He’s bringing his roommate.”

Harriet noticed Larry and his wife exchange a look. She wondered what they were thinking as she directed them to the living room. Shortly after, Suzan arrived with her family. They were laden with bags, sprinkled with snow, and smiling from ear to ear. They gathered around the fire to get warm. As the two couples talked Harriet wondered what had driven her youngest son away from such happiness. Had he chosen another direction in life or was it chosen for him? Was it his fault? Was it hers?

Her musings were interrupted by the happy chiming of the doorbell. She opened the door and Matt greeted her with a smile and a hug. Then he introduced his roommate Dan. Dan was a pleasant good-looking boy. He was far from home and happy to spend the Holiday with someone. Harriet immediately made it her mission to make him feel at home. He was going to spend the next few days with them whether he liked it or not.

Soon after Matt arrived, dinner was ready. The family slowly migrated to the dining room as Harriet pulled the main dish form the oven. She paused to admire the golden roast. Then she got busy bringing food to the table. The room filled with the delicious smelly of roast meat and vegetables and cheerful winter spices. She positioned the roast in the middle of the idyllic family scene.

Everything was looking like a television holiday special when her granddaughter spoke up. “Oooo roast butt!” she exclaimed with sincere enthusiasm.

There was a moment of silence and then Matt and Dan burst out laughing. The laughter was contagious and spread around the table. Soon the family was happily feasting on the roast butt and catching up on events in each other’s lives. Larry announced that he had been promoted at work. His wife had taken up painting. Suzan was getting a massage therapy license. Her husband told about his recent adventures with a car mechanic and got everyone’s sympathy. Harriet and Tom told about their water heater breaking. Matt was happy that he had passed all his classes with excellent grades. Seven-year-old Abby was proud of herself for winning her school’s science fair. Dan amused everyone with stories from his childhood in Hawaii.

As their stomachs expanded and they leaned back in their chars Tom suggested that they have dessert in the living room. They gathered around the Christmas tree with hot cocoa and eggnog. The coffee table became a city of fruitcakes and cookies. It seemed that everyone had brought some sort of dessert. They watched the magical tree’s twinkling lights and each wished for something. As her children expressed their hopes for the future Harriet made her wish in silence. She wished for another daughter-in-law.

With all their stories told and wishes made the family began to yawn. Tom was the first to sneak off to bed. Harriet began to put away the leftovers and her children helped with washing the dishes. Suzan’s family soon went upstairs to her old bedroom leaving the other’s to put away the deserts. When everything was put away Larry and Tina went to bed while Matt and Dan decided to enjoy what was left of the fire. Harriet smiled thinking of how well the night had gone.

As she made her way to the second floor he thought drifted to her youngest child again. She thought of what he would be missing out on in his life. She remembered when she was his age. It had been a night much like this one. She had just started dating Tom at the time. They had gone to a party and were talking when Tom pointed out a branch of mistletoe hanging over their heads. She smiled at the memory. Then she went to join her prince charming. On the way she could hear her family settling in for the night.

From behind one door came the sound of her granddaughter’s voice. “…but mom, I wanna watch the video!”

“It’s too late, honey. Time to got to bed,” answered Suzan.

“Oh, come on!” whined Abby.

“Why did you let her eat all those cookies? Now she can’t sleep!” said Suzan turning her anger on her unfortunate spouse.

Harriet continued down the hall not wanting to hear any more. From behind the next door emanated equally unpleasant sounds.

“…No, Your family is weird!” said her son in an irritated tone.

“My family!” answered his wife, “Your sister puts beans in her cookies and stuffs her turkey with tofu and – “

“Suzie is just watching out for our health…”

Harriet gladly escaped the hallway into her own bedroom. She saw her husband sleeping and forgot all thoughts of kisses under the mistletoe. He was laying with his stuffed belly up and his mouth open. He was snoring loudly. Then he rolled over and farted. Harriet sighed and decided to go downstairs for a cup of tea. She walked back down the hallway cursing Suzan’s cookies under her breath. Tom had eaten most of them. There would be a concert in the bedroom tonight.

As she walked down the stairs she looked at the Christmas tree with all its glittering ornaments and twinkling lights. It was the symbol of what Christmas should be. It was supposed to be cheerful and beautiful, unlike the turmoil upstairs. Halfway down the stairs she noticed some movement in the background and to the side of the tree. It was her son Matt and his roommate kissing under the mistletoe. It was a gentle kiss that brought back old memories for Harriet. She smiled. For once she was happy with the path her son had chosen, if it had been a choice at all.

 

 

Discuss This Story

© 2007 jfalkon
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2007 - Annual - The Road Not Taken Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..