Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 14,688 Words
  • 1,629 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Invasion of the Heart - 1. Invasion

           

Chase walked out of the Thai restaurant on Massachusetts Street near the University of Kansas campus when he noticed that everyone nearby were either talking on their cell phones or were looking up at the sky with fear.

 

Seeing his friend Mike looking up as if the sky was about to fall upon him he went towards him. “What’s up?”

 

“You mean you haven’t heard?” Mike said, his face pale. “Almost every major city in the world is gone… what’s left of the government is in a panic.”

 

“What do you mean, gone?”

 

“I mean gone! Some people are saying it was a nuclear attack but nobody knows what’s really going on.”

 

“What about Kansas City… is it gone to?”

 

“Yes… I’ve been trying to call my mom in Overland Park for the last twenty minutes. We’re not getting much news other than the local stuff since New York, Washington, Atlanta, and Los Angeles are gone as well.”

 

“Well no more Fox News I guess,” Chase chuckled.

 

“Chase this isn’t the time to be funny. No one has any idea what’s going on.” A police car slowly moved down the street announcing a curfew was now in effect. “Looks like we better get back to the dorms.”

 

“I guess we better,” Chase nodded going to where his bike was chained.

 

Once in the student lounge Chase found over a hundred people gathered around a single television set, watching and listening as the frantic news reports explaining what had happened. Eventually the news started showing aerial photos of the affected areas, having to depend on planes since all the world’s satellites had also disappeared. Where had been the nation’s capital was now a ring of fire. At its center was a gigantic domed structure, two thirds the size of the city. The same was seen in New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Cairo, and even Kansas City. The governor in Topeka declared martial law. Movement on all state and federal highways was now banned to everyone but the military and the National Guard.

 

The next day it was announced that classes were canceled, maybe for the rest of the year. Word was that the KU wanted to close down but given that many of their students had nowhere to go remained open. By the third day the recruiters came knocking on everyone’s doors. That’s when the other guys started showing up at Chase’s door, given that his father was reported being one of the few surviving commanders, having been in Afghanistan during what was now being reported as the alien invasion.

 

“Jake I don’t know anymore than you do so stop asking,” His room was crammed with other students .

 

“But surely your father has gotten in touch with you,” Landon insisted.

 

“You think he has time to get in touch with me?” Chase replied.

 

“Does he even know you’re still alive?”

 

“When the recruiters came by they told me they would find someway of letting my father know I’m okay.”

 

“So are you going to join?”

 

“My bags are packed.” Chase replied.

 

“But…” Jake protested.

 

“I’m the son of a general… I’m not going to have it be said that I refused to volunteer at a time like this.”

 

“But Chase… you’re gay,” Caleb felt he had to point out.

 

“And I told the recruiters that. Given the situation but that’s no longer an issue.

 

           

 

“Well I’m not letting you ” Jake insisted, crossing his arms over his chest. “If you want to get killed you’ll have to get past me to do it.”

 

“I know better than to get into a wrestling match with you Jake.” Chase told the Big Twelve champ. “So why don’t you sign up with me so I can use you as a shield.”

 

“You want us to commit suicide for you?” Caleb asked.

 

“I’m not putting a gun to your head but you have to admit it’s better than staying here until the invaders get here.”

 

“So things aren’t going well.” Jake said, still believing Chase had to have inside information.

 

“So far they even haven’t put out the fires around Kansas City. Since Missouri’s government was beheaded when Saint Louis was destroyed, Kansas’ governor is taking charge of recapturing both sides of the river.

 

“Why does the governor think he can lead such an effort.”

 

“I don’t know… My guess is that what’s left of the Federal government is more concerned about retaking the East Coast than they are about the Midwest.”

 

“Is that a guess or is it based on fact?” Jake demanded.

 

“Jake, have you seen any regular army around here… it’s all been National Guard. Their commander in chief is always the governor in the state that they are based. Only the President has the authority to nationalize them. As far as I am aware the President and the entire chain of command was wiped out in the initial attack.”

 

“So who’s really in charge, who’s leading the country?” Andrew, the captain of the college soccer team Chase was on asked.

 

“No one is. You forget much of our military assets are still caught up in the Middle East. They force can’t just hop back on a plane one day and fight a war the next. Right now I imagine the surviving generals are fighting with each over on what to do next.”

 

“Perfect…” Jake pouted.

 

“It’s what should be expected… our government has basically been beheaded. I take it our communication satellites are gone as well?” Caleb asked.

 

“I would assume so,” Chase nodded. “Look at it this way… if you sign up I can try to keep us together and we will be told more than we are now. If history tells us anything volunteers get treated better than those who are drafted.”

 

“Well I’m in. I hate sitting here doing nothing.” Andrew said.

 

“Caleb?” Chase asked looking in the direction of his closeted lover.

 

“You certain you can keep us all together?’ Caleb asked, crossing his arms over his broad chest.

 

“Being the son of a general does have its advantages.” Chase replied.

 

“Well… since I would most likely get drafted anyway I guess I would rather do it on my own terms.

 

“Thank you Caleb,” Chase said.

 

“It’s not like I really have a choice. My family was in Kansas City.”

 

“I know… I know how important they were to you,” Chase said going over to Caleb and embracing him.

 

“What’s this?” Jake said, both eyebrows rising.

 

“You telling me you didn’t know?” Andrew laughed.

 

“Know what?” Jake said, still confused.

 

“I’m… I’m gay. I’m the secret boyfriend Chase has been hiding from all of you.”

 

“And it wasn’t easy,” Chase chuckled.

 

“Or cheap,” Caleb agreed. “Because I didn’t want anyone to find out I would drive as far as Dallas so we could spend weekends together. I don’t know how you were willing to put up with that.” Caleb said before planting a kiss on Chase’s forehead.

 

“Because we were both happy. I also like that you’re old fashion.”

 

“But that is why we couldn’t be openly together.”

 

“Yes but because of your moral upbringing I never had to worry about you cheating on me.”

 

“You mean you never had sex in-between our weekends together?” Caleb said shocked.

 

“Trust me it wasn’t because other men weren’t trying,” Jake sighed.

 

“I don’t know what to say… I’m shocked. You hear all these stories that gay men are always cheating on each other that I took it for a given you had to be sleeping with other men. It’s what most gay men seem to want.”

 

“But its not what you wanted Caleb,” Chase chuckled.

 

“God, you two act like a married couple,” Landon grunted.

 

            ************************************************************

 

 

Chase was able to keep his promise, forming the. Since he had grown up going to military schools Chase became the commanding Lieutenant and was even allowed to pick his own sergeants and corporals as they spent a month in intensive training. By that time the Invaders, as they were called by the media, had started expanding the territory under their control they finished basic. As Chase predicted their friends back in Lawrence were either forced into military service, pressed into work gangs, or ended up scattered, taking the back roads as refugees. As for the global war now taking place across the planet Great Britain had fallen with six domed fortress on their small island. In the rest of Europe the French were concentrating all their forces in a vain attempt to retake Paris. The Russians had fled to the Urals while many in Central Europe were retreating into the Alps. In Asia Japan was barely hanging onto its northern islands. In the People’s Republic of China, the once centralized government had collapsed replaced by warlords who offered false hope of victory. Australia’s government gave up its coast and was now focused in fortifying Alice Springs for one last stand.

 

In the case of the United States the military was split in half. Those based in Iraq and Afghanistan believed they represented the best chance in forming an organized resistance . What was left of the military in the States had pulled back into the small pockets of the country far from any of the Invaders fortresses, building up defenses and trying to unite their efforts. When a Senator from South Dakota was sworn in as the new President he declared marital law and ordered all National Guard troops be put under his command. Most of the States’ surviving governments quickly refused, knowing what little protection they had against the Invaders would be stripped away. As a result most regions acting in what they thought was their best interest. Kansas, Missouri Oklahoma, and Arkansas uniting their forces hoping the hold onto their shared territory in the middle hoping that since Fort Hood in Texas, the nation’s largest military base, had been spared destruction in the initial attack that help would come from the south. With five Invader bases in Texas alone that help wouldn’t come anytime soon.

 

It was this environment that Chase and the others were rushed out of training in Oklahoma to fight in what became known as the Battle of Topeka.

 

“This is insane.” Jake said as they rolled into the city on the back of a truck.

 

“Be happy we’re not walking,” Chase replied. If Oklahoma falls there goes our last source of oil.”

 

“I’m not complaining about our mode of transportation. It’s that we’re being asked to fight a battle we can’t possibly win. In over a month have we’ve not shot down one of their ships, let alone capture a single soldier alive?”

 

“You’ve read the intel… the battle armor they wear explodes if they die or they are captured.” Caleb said proudly wearing his sergeant strips.”

 

“So what’s the point?” Jake demanded.

 

“To fight.” Andrew said.

 

“And?”

 

“And to keep on fighting,” Andrew replied. “If these are the last days of mankind I would rather live them with a gun in my hand than waiting to die in some refuge camp waiting to die.”

 

“The intel also says the Invaders are taking in as many prisoners they can… amongst soldiers that is. That is not true about those trying to escape. We don’t’ know that much about our enemy but them seem to hold cowards in contempt.” Chase said.

 

“But we don’t know what has happened to all the soldiers captured,” Landon said.

 

Reaching into his uniform Chase took out copies of his orders. “That’s our mission,” he said as he passed the papers around.

 

“We are to let ourselves be captured?” Caleb said in disbelief.

 

“Yes,” Chase said, as he passed around a bottle of pills. “Each one of you need to swallow one of these capsules. They’re a passive homing device. It should be untraceable.”

 

“Who gave you this mission?” Caleb asked suspiciously.

 

“As you suspect, my father. He wants to know where all the prisoners go in the hope of mounting a rescue. Even if he can only save us it would be a victory against the Invaders, something our people need desperately if they want to have hope.”

 

“And he picked the gay platoon to do this. If you ask me he’s just trying to get rid of us.” Jake grumbled.

 

“No he’s not,” Chase whispered. “He wants us to survive or I should say me. The government has tried to surrender but every attempt has been met with scorn. The Invaders want us to fight to the last man.”

 

“How can you ensure we will be captured and not killed?” Andrew asked.

 

“About half of Topeka has fallen already. The remains of the 8th company are cut off and have bunkered down in the remains of a closed down mental hospital very close to the governor’s mansion. Our mission is to act as a demolishing team and destroy the governor’s mansion just in case anything important was left behind. We are then to join up with the eighth company and hold their position as they try to break through Invader lines and escape.”

 

“And then?” Landon asked.

 

“We are to resist for as long as possible to give more time for people to evacuate.”

 

“Until we are captured,” Caleb said.

 

“Yes, if it doesn’t happen sooner that is.”

 

“What sort of equipment are we going to be given?” Andrew asked.

 

“Four armored humvees and six technicals, four with heavy machine guns, the other two armed with SAMs.” We’ll also be given two RPG launchers and four M-2 machine guns. 0.5 caliber bullets seem to be able to break through the Invader’s armor. Given the military’s limited resources they’re giving us quite a lot.” Chase said.

 

“Should be a nice fight,” Andrew agreed.

 

“If they start using anything stronger than their stunners on us I’m going to pull you out,” Caleb said sternly.

 

“I’m in command Caleb.”

 

“Fine, you can court-martial me later. I’m not going to let this turn into a suicide mission. I think your father the general would agree with me on that.”

 

“If they start hitting us with artillery I will pull us back but that decision is mine.”

 

“You command the men but my loyalty is to your life. I will act as I see fit,” Caleb replied.

 

“See… he still see you as his girlfriend,” Andrew laughed.

 

“I am no girl,” Chase chuckled.

 

“But Caleb does see you as the wife in the relationship. Is it not the duty of a husband to protect the woman he loves?”

 

“Sergeant?”

 

“Yes sir,” Caleb replied.

 

“Do I look like a woman to you?”

 

“No Lieutenant.” Caleb said with a grin. “But you are the closest thing I will ever have to a wife.”

 

“I love that you’re old fashion but this is work and I am your boss.”

 

“I know,” Caleb said nuzzling against Chase.

 

“Later dear… if we survive this.”

 

“That’s all I want hon.” Caleb said before giving Chase a quick peck on the cheek.

 

********************************************************
 

 

“Explosives are set sir,” Caleb said, his eyes on the sky where dozens of the Invaders zeppelin like ships hovered over them.

 

“Get everyone back into their vehicles then. Once were a mile away set them off. That should distract the Invaders long enough for us to reach the eighth company.”

 

“What about Avery and James? They’ve already been hit by stunners.”

 

“Nothing we can do but take them with us. The better we stay together the better our Chases the Invaders will keep us together or at least that’s what I hope.”

 

Driving up the hill leading to the ruins of the mental hospital Chase ordered Andrew to launch a flare, warning the eighth company of their arrival. When they reached the main red bricked building Chase met company commander.

 

“Commander Johnson,” Chase saluted.

 

“Well I’ll be, you fags actually made it. We saw your little firework display. Nice job. Might you tell us how you got past the enemy lines?”

 

“I sent four of my men to the train station to fire some RPG’s into the enemy lines while two other blew up a city block on the other side of town. That left their lines weak in the middle.”

 

“And did your men make it back safe?”

 

“Two of them at the train station got hit by stunners but they’re still with us,” Chase replied.

 

“So how will we get out?” The commander asked.

 

“Something special from my father. Along with the normal missiles he gave me four experimental mini-nukes that the government had been making illegally in secret. Each one will take out two city blocks. I’ll fire two to the south producing a hole for you to punch through while the other two I will use to bring down two of their ships overhead. My hope is that will cause the other ships to leave the area so you won’t have to worry about being hit by stun bombs.”

 

“Sounds like a plan to me. Now how will you get out?”

 

“We won’t. It is the military’s intention that we be captured.”

 

“And the governor agreed to this?”

 

“Give up one platoon to save half a company? It was not a hard decision for the governor to make. You do understand which mission is the more important of the two?”

 

“Giving that you’re carrying nuclear weapons with you I do. I wish you luck Lieutenant. I must say I do not envy your position.”

 

“Good luck to you commander though I do not think this will change the end that awaits us all.” Chase said before going back to his own men.

 

“Sir?” Caleb asked when Chase returned.

 

“Put our men in position but be sure to take all the gear out of the vehicles. The commander is going to be taking them.”

 

“So we’re really going to go through with it…”

 

“Yes… we need to know why the Invaders are taking so many prisoners among the soldiers but killing the refugees. We also need to find out what’s been happing to them. We need to know what the Invaders want, and how we can get them to the negotiation table. Right now we are the most important people on the planet. If we fail then the eighth company’s escape will become pointless.”

 

“I understand but no matter what happens I’m not going to let you become separated from me.”

 

“I know,” Chase whispered. “Launch the attack.”

 

“Yes sir,” Caleb said, reaching for his radio to give out Chase’s orders. “They’re ready sir.”

 

“Fire the nukes.”

 

Within seconds of giving the order the land and sky became alight with fire as fire city blocks were destroyed as two of the Invaders giant floating ships slowly began to fall to the ground. Just as Chase had predicted the other ships quickly retreated falling back behind their lines. Before the sounds of the explosions had a Chase to die down they were replaced by heavy machinegun fire and the buzzing sound of stun bolts flying in from all directions.

 

“Well that seemed to have pissed them off,” Caleb laughed. “How many of those nukes does the military have?”

 

Not that many. They’ve already have tried using full nuclear bombs on their domed fortresses but the structures seem to be emitting their own magnetic field, disarming any bomb that gets within five miles.

 

“Come… we should get you inside.” Caleb said as a stun bolt flew within ten yards of them. “We don’t want to make things too easy for the invaders.”

 

            *************************************************

 

“Good morning,” Caleb said three hours later as the sun began to rise.

 

“You let me fall asleep?” Chase said surprised.

 

“You looked so peaceful I didn’t want to disturb you,” Caleb said.

 

“Well report Sergeant,” Chase said as he got back onto his feet.

 

“There are only four of us left I’m afraid… you, me, Jake, and Andrew. We set up an M-2 in the lobby so when the Invaders come to search this building they’ll be in for a nasty surprise.

 

“Where are they now? Why don’t I hear any firing?”

 

“After we lost half the men I ordered them to take up sniper positions. That forced the Invaders to move in slowly without blazing away, revealing their positions.”

 

“They haven’t used stun bombs?”

 

“No. We must have really shocked them when we shot two of them down. The sky’s been clear of them.”

 

“They’ll get over that fear eventually,” Chase said as he heard the loud sound of gunfire followed by stunners.

 

“They’re here,” Caleb said as he picked up his M-16 with one hand and Chase with another.

 

“Where are we going?

 

“To the top floor. I’ve set up the remaining C-4 to knock out the stairs when they come up it.”

 

“What about Andrew and Jake?”

 

“Jake is already upstairs. Andrew is the one manning the M-2.”

 

“Alone?”

 

“He volunteered. He wants to take out as many of the Invaders before they get their hands on him.”

 

“Well it looks like they got him,” Chase said when the machinegun stopped.

 

“We should hurry then,” Caleb said as he rushed both of the to the top floor.

 

“It’s about time you two got here,” Jake said a worried expression on his face. “Can I set the explosives off now?”

 

“Wait ten more seconds… time enough for them to start heading up.” Caleb said as he took Chase into a nearby office, locking the door. He then started moving furniture into the middle of the room, forming a small barricade.

 

“Why haven’t I head an explosion?” Chase said after several minutes.

 

“If Jake has screwed this up…” Caleb said, heading for the door. He didn’t make it halfway there when the office windows blew in, Invaders wearing battle armor neither Chase or Caleb had ever seen before crashing into the room, jetpacks on their backs.

 

“Get down!” Chase shouted as he ducked behind the piled furniture but it was already too late Caleb took three stun bolts to the back, knocking him out.

 

The only one left, Chase took out his sidearm knowing that such a low caliber weapon stood no Chase against Invader battle armor. Still he stood up and aimed his gun at the nearest Invader ready to pull the trigger, stopping when he felt the cold barrel of a stunner pressed against the back of his neck. “Do it,” he said with clenched teeth as he dropped his gun.

 

Instead of being hit by a stun bolt as he expected the Invaders standing behind him grabbed his arms and cuffed his arms behind his back. They then put a silver collar around his neck before escorting him out of the building where he saw his entire platoon laid out on the lawn in a neat row.

 

“We are beaten. I understand that,” Chase said not sure they even knew his language. An Invader then walked in front of him, and pushed a button on the arm of his battle armor, triggering Chase to feel an electric jolt run through his body.

 

“Now you can understand us,” the Invader said in what Chase heard in perfect English.

 

“I do,” Chase nodded.

 

“You killed many of us. More than we expected.”

 

“We did our duty.”

 

“Yes you did. You are the leader of these men?”

 

“I am.”

 

“You were their leader but you were the last to fall.”

 

“That was not my desire.”

 

“But you were their leader. Why did they not follow your commands?”

 

“I was their leader but their hearts have always been stronger than their discipline.”

 

“So they sacrificed themselves knowing it would not change your fate or theirs.”

 

“Yes,” Chase sighed. “What is to be our fate?”

 

“Your men have proven themselves to be true warriors, they will serve us well.”

 

“I do not wish to be separated from my men.”

 

“That can not be helped, their love for you would interfere with their reconditioning.”

 

“You mean brainwashing.”

 

“Call it what you will. They will be proud to serve the Toran-Vas Empire when they are ready.”

 

“And I?”

 

“I am not in a position to decide your fate. You will be taken to headquarters where there are those who can decide what is to become of you.”

 

“I ask that my sergeant be allowed to come with me.”

 

“Request denied. You are now a prisoner of war. A prisoner is not allowed to make demands. He must learn to accept what he is given. Is that understood?”

 

“Yes,” Chase nodded.

 

“Take him away,” the Invader order two of his other soldiers.

 

Led away Chase was led to one of the Invaders smaller airships, this one looking less like a blimp and more like a dragonfly. Put aboard he was strapped into the chair in the back, the two Invaders sitting across from him their hands remaining on their guns. It was only after the transport lifted off the ground that they removed their helmets, revealing their faces to Chase for the first time.

 

“But…” Chase whispered, except for their gray skin and blood red hair the two looked like normal male humans.

 

“I told you Argis… you’re so ugly you’ve scared the poor human.”

 

“Funny you should say that Calus you are my twin after all.”

 

“Me and our million brothers,” Argis laughed. “So human… do we really look all that terrifying to you?”

 

“No… but what your people has done does.”

 

“Really,” Calus said his wide smile reveling his sharp incisors. “It was your people who attacked us first.”

 

“Impossible… we don’t have the means.”

 

“But you do… your people developed wormhole technology… taping into our own system of jump gates. When you found a habitable world you sent a team in. We quickly captured them but by then it was too late. Your viruses and bacteria had already contaminated our environment. With no way of coping with your diseases our world… our home world quickly turned into a dead planet. I was there with the fleet, blockading Ursa. I had to watch as we destroyed every ship that tried to escape the planet. Billions died and entire species became extinct. It took us ten of your years to discover your world. Now we are here to make your world ours and to replace the lives lost.” Argis said coldly.

 

“I know nothing about wormholes but if it was a plague that destroyed your world I believe that could not have been our intent.” Chase replied.

 

“What is more important… a man’s intent or the results of his actions. Terrible things can happen from good intentions.” Another Invader said as he entered the cabin, his hair a brilliant white.

 

“If I may ask… why have your people come if our world is so poisonous to you?”

 

“We had ten years to study your kind. We Toran-Vas have the means of acquiring another species immune systems. All we have to do is feed from your blood.” The white haired man chuckled, baring his fangs. “But first you must be purified.”

 

“Yes. The first of our warriors you fought were mere androids whose purpose was to harvest as many of you as we could so we might feed and be free to leave our domed cities. Argis and Calus over there are what you might call cyborgs. They need not feed so much. I am a pure Toran however. My need to feed is therefore greater. There is a scent about you that I have never smelled among your warriors. I find it enticing.”

 

Feeling dizzy Chase shook his head to clear his mind. “You’re doing something to me.”

 

“Am I? Now that is a surprise. Most of your men tremble in fear before a pure Toran. Your reaction is different. I can see that. I wonder why,” the Toran said, removing his armored glove so he could touch Chase’s unshaven face with his gray slender fingers. He then licked his fingers letting out a sigh. “How remarkable… Your taste reminds me of… well it will just have to be something I add to my report.”

 

“What does it remind you of?” Chase asked.

 

“That is not something you need know. Suffice it to say I believe you have an interesting future in store for you. Now sleep,” the Toran said, running his open hand down Chase’s face, causing the man to become unconscious. The Toran then made his way to the pilot’s chair. “Change of plans. We will need to take this one to the Central Dome in London.”

 

“As you wish Lord Farr,” the pilot replied, accelerating the ship as he raised it out of the atmosphere and into space, diving back down towards Great Britain, the trip taking less than an hour.

 

“We are preparing to land in the Central Dome… High Command wishes for your report.”

 

“Tell them I have brought our Emperor a gift that I believe he will be most pleased with,” Farr replied as their transport flew through the ruins of outer London towards the domed fortress, twice the size of any other. Around it new buildings and towers were going up, the Toran-Vas already busy building a new city.

 

***************************************************

 

“Caleb,” Andrew whispered when he saw the sergeant stir.

 

“Yes,” the man moaned as he sat up. He and what looked like the rest of the platoon were in some sort of pen attached to the back of a scorpion like vehicle, moving towards the domed structure of the Invader fortress.

 

“Good, the stun bolts are starting to wear off.” Andrew replied. “Here, they gave us a few canteens of water.”

 

“Thank you… so where’s Chase. Is he still out?”

 

“He wasn’t here when I woke up and the guards won’t answer any of our questions.” Andrew replied nervously.

 

“Why isn’t he here? He was in the same room with me.” Caleb said his temper rising.

 

“We don’t know sergeant. Maybe they thought it would be a bad idea to keep the Lieutenant with us.”

 

“Or they killed him,” Caleb grunted.

 

“Don’t think like that. We have to hope he’s alright. Anyway his plan seems to have worked. We were taken prisoner. What we should do now is concentrate on the mission.”

 

“I don’t about damn the mission. The only reason I agreed to this folly was to keep Chase safe.”

 

“Caleb… Chase is more than capable of taking care of himself.” Andrew replied as he took the canteen back.

 

“That’s not the point.”

 

“But it is… he’s the commanding officer. The risks were his to take. Anyway with him gone you’re going to have to take charge sergeant.”

 

“Right now all I want to do is escape and find Chase.”

 

“But that’s not our mission. Will you make the risks we all took, Chase included, worthless?”

 

“Fine… we’ll play the role of spies but finding out what happened to Chase will be my top priority.”

 

“Alright,” Andrew said as the cage shook when the scorpion can to a sudden halt before the walls of the fortress. “This is it,” he whispered as a section of the wall broke in the middle forming a large door. When it was open all the way the scorpion began moving forward again, taking it’s prisoners through a dark tunnel until they entered a well lit hanger filled with rows of armored vehicles stored on several levels.

 

On reaching the end of the chamber the floor beneath them began to rise, taking them up three stories. The scorpion them used its claws to placed its cage down before the elevator took it back down on to the first level. Where the mechanical creature had placed the cage must have been on a track for the cage began moving forward, past several thick metal doors before arriving at the bottom of large ten story circular shaft which walls were lined with cages similar to the one they were in. A mechanical claw from the ceiling took the cage and inserted it into a vacant spot in the shaft, locking it into place.

 

“I guess this is our new home,” Avery sighed.

 

“For now at least,” Caleb said as he grabbed the bars of the cage as if he intended to break them with his hands.

 

***************************************************************

 

“So this is your gift to the Emperor,” Chancellor Wintel said, a hint of disappointment in his voice. “He is dirty but at least he looks healthy,” He said of the human tied down by all four limbs to a circular cage.

 

“May if I awaken him you might be able to examine him better,” Farr said as he brushed Chase’s face with a hand, causing the man to wake up with a start. “Hello again human. I hope you had a pleasant nap.”

 

“Why am I tied up like this?” Chase said as he attempted to struggle.

 

“I have brought you to the our base of operations on your world where our Emperor leads us. It is my intention to make a gift of you to him.” Farr said in a sultry voice, running a long finger down Chase’s left cheek.

 

“Get out of my head,” Chase demanded, feeling dizzy again.

 

“But I’m not in your head,” Farr said as he turned to smile at the Chancellor. “See how he responds to us your Excellency?”

 

“Yes… very unusual. Have him cleaned up and made presentable. You will have your audience with his imperial majesty.” Wintel said before turning to leave.

 

“And his purification?” Farr asked.

 

“That will be for the Emperor to decided,” the Chancellor said in a warning tone.

 

“I understand,” Farr bowed as four guards began rolling Chase out of the room, Lord Farr following behind. Before they had gotten far a Toran with bright blue hair and wearing a red robe intercepted them.

 

“I will take charge of the prisoner from here Lord Farr.” The younger Toran said in a voice of authority.

 

“This human is my prisoner… my gift to the Emperor.”

 

“We are aware of that but you know who I speak for,” the Toran replied sternly. He is not yet the property of the Emperor. Until this moment he was your property. Now he belongs to the Imperial Heir.”

 

“I have already met with the Chancellor.”

 

“And we are explaining the matter to him. There will be no conflict between my master and the Emperor. Do you wish for there to be a conflict between you and the Imperial Heir?”

 

“Of course not Lord Sotoran,” Lord Farr said, bowing deeply. “The Heir may have the prisoner as my gift.”

 

“The Heir did not send me to accept gifts but to take what he claims for his own.” Sotoran replied sternly. “This is his royal right… you will gain no imperial favor in this matter.”

 

“That is the Heir’s right,” Farr bowed again. “Still I will hope the Heir is pleased with his new property and remembers me with some fondness.”

 

“You can hope,” Sotoran said, not offering much in his tone. “You are dismissed Lord Farr. Reports say you suffered many casualties at the Battle of Topeka.”

 

“The enemy used a new weapon.”

 

“So the reports say. Next time try not to be caught so off guard. That would displease the Emperor and my master.”

 

“I will not be tricked again. I ask permission to use more aggressive methods however. I can drop hundreds of stun bombs on them but it still takes time for my soldiers to imprison them all.”

 

“After your losses you will need to redouble your efforts in finding replacements. Request denied. You are ordered however to accelerate your advance. You must take the rest of Kansas and proceed to Oklahoma so your forces may join up with our armies in Texas. The enemy has been able to reorganize themselves significantly there. Fort Hood must be captured.”

 

“I understand your lordship. I will obey.” Lord Farr said giving one final bow before backing out of the hallway.

 

“Release the prisoner and follow me,” Sotoran told the guards once Lord Farr was gone.

 

Freed from his bindings Chase rubbed his sore wrists as the guards formed a box around him leading him along following Lord Sortoran. “May I ask what is to become of me?” Chase said once he had the courage.

 

“That is for the Imperial Heir to decided. You should feel grateful he chose to intervene in this matter. It is not often he exercises such authority over such a small matter.”

 

“Then why did he do it?”

 

“The two guards, Argis and Calus, their loyalty is to the Imperial Heir and not to Lord Farr. They gave my master a more detailed report than the one Lord Farr provided.”

 

“I don’t understand.”

 

“Nor do we but the Imperial Heir saw an opportunity and decided to take it.”

 

“What opportunity?”

 

“I believe you were told Argis and Calus are cyborgs. Their eyes can therefore see much more than yours or my own can. They monitored both Lord Farr’s and your own response to each other. The Heir found it intriguing.”

 

“He was playing with my head.” Chase insisted.

 

“The Toran are slightly telepathic. Your response was not a result of that.”

 

“You speak of the Toran as if you’re not one.”

 

“I am not, I am a Vas. You’re people must not have realized yet that our civilization is made up of two races who share the same genetic ancestor. For many centuries our two races fought for supremacy until a peace agreement was reached. The Emperor right now is Toran, as is Lord Farr. In one years time however the period of his reign will be over and my master will become Emperor. That way the balance of power is maintained.”

 

“How long will your master be Emperor.”

 

“One cycle of Galish… the planet that was once our home world, two hundred and fifty of your years.”

 

“Your people live that long?”

 

“We Vas have life spans that can last several cycles. The Toran are not so blessed. Emperor Dorsa is the seventh Toran to sit on the throne during this cycle. I do not look it but I am much older than Lord Farr. That is why he must show deference to me.”

 

“Is there any chance of peace once your master assumes the throne?”

 

“Perhaps… we Vas have always been fewer in number and most of us lived on Galish. Our race therefore suffered more as a result of your people’s incursion. My master will be under extreme pressure to exterminate your race in retribution. You might be able to change that.”

 

“How?”

 

“That you must find out on your own.”

 

“What about my men. Is there anyway I can get them back.”

 

“They are probably being prepared for reconditioning as we speak.”

 

“Please I beg you. It is my duty to protect them. They wouldn’t have joined if it wasn’t for me.”

 

“Then they own you their lives… the only prisoners we are taking are warriors. All others are to be killed.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because it is only warriors that we find can be recondition. Only a human who has the willpower to kill is useful to us.”

 

“Then you should be looking in our prisons.”

 

“I said willpower, not desire.” Sotoran laughed as they entered a room decorated by thick blue curtains. I shall leave you now so I may report to my master. The servants will take care of you,” he said before leaving.

 

After the guards had also left Chase saw what he assumed were four Vas enter from a door hidden by the curtains, their hands held together in front of their bodies, with their heads hanging low. Walking in pairs Chase saw that their blue tunics were translucent, reveling their lean bodies underneath. Their groins were covered by a thicker under-cloth.

 

While two approached him the others opened a pair of panels in the walls, pressing several switches and buttons. By the time the servants reached him the middle of the room had sunk five feet and was quickly filling with a silvery, mercury like fluid. Chase at first resisted when the servants attempted to undress him. In response one of them leaned forward and exhaled against his mouth. Whatever was in the Vas’s breath almost caused Chase’s knees to collapse, the servants laughing softly as they caught him.

 

Once Chase was stripped of everything the servants led him to the now filled pool where they gave him a hard shove, causing him to fall in. Feeling as if he was swimming in quicksand Chase struggled to reach the surface until he realized that the pool was not that deep. Letting his feet touch the bottom he stood up, gasping for air. The four servants were now in the pool with him, amused smiles on their faces.

 

Forming a circle around Chase the four Vas splashed him with the thick fluid from all sides, singing as they did so. As they spun around him, each one would give him a kiss as they passed, making Chase feel lightheaded again. When they finished helping him out of the pool one of them brought a set of robes, a thick blue inner robe and a thin white one with shorter sleeves. A chair was then brought. While he sat they trimmed and combed his hair while they put some sort of lotion on his face which, when removed left him clean shaven. Last they put on a pair of soft sandals on his feet before leaving him alone in the room, still sitting in the chair.

 

For several minutes he just sat there. When he decided he had waited long enough he tried to stand up but found he couldn’t, his body frozen to the chair. Then, after almost an hour, the doors through which he had entered the room opened, six guards in blue battle armor entering followed by four Invaders in red robes. Last to enter was a Vas dressed in a sliver, his face covered by a black mask. That one made a flicking motion with his right wrist, causing the pool in the middle of the room to quickly drain, the floor rising back up. He then walked forward until he was in the middle of the room where he flicked his wrists again. This time Chase heard a snapping sound as the sliver collar around his neck brake into four even pieces. The man in the mask walked forward again until he was standing in front of Chase. The Vas then reached up and removed his black mask, revealing his milk white skin, blue eyes, and short spiky black hair.

 

“So, you’re the one Argis and Calus told me about. How interesting,” the Imperial Heir wore an amused smile.

 

“I can understand you without the collar?”

 

“Yes… I have learned your language. It was not hard since I can so easily read human minds.”

 

“Are you reading mine?”

 

“Would you like me to?”

 

“No.”

 

“Then I won’t, at least for now,” the Heir said, spreading his arms wide to allow two of his red robed servants to remove his silver robe, revealing the blue one underneath. “I understand the rest of your men were captured and await reconditioning at the Kansas City Dome.”

 

“Yes.” Chase whispered. The Vas had an aura about him that Chase did not dare question.

 

“It will be expensive for me to buy them. Lord Farr already has reason to be angry with me. Do you wish me to make you a gift of your men?”

 

“Yes, please.” Chase nodded.

 

“Then I will give you this gift. You must know however there is a customs surrounding the giving of gifts among my people. That is why Lord Farr wished to give you to the Emperor.”

 

“I will pay your price.”

 

“How can you say that… you don’t even know what it is I will ask for?” The Heir chuckled.

 

“For the sake of my friends I will pay anything.”

 

“Very well… there are two things I will ask of you. First I want your loyalty.”

 

“My loyalty?” Chase said surprised.

 

“Yes… considering you were willing to pay any price for your men I know you are a man who knows the value of loyalty.”

 

“I don’t know how to give such loyalty.”

 

“You may start by telling me what your mission is.”

 

“My mission… I am a prisoner.”

 

“I’ve read the battle reports. Lord Farr might not be able to see it but I can. Your people would not have used a new weapon for the sake of a few hundred men. You were put there so we would notice you and want to capture you alive so we might interrogate you. I do not have to read your mind to know you are here as a spy.”

 

“That is true. I was sent to be captured so that my leaders might find out what happened to all their men, why your people came here, and if there was any way to achieve peace.”

 

“And how were you to relay that information back to your superiors.”

 

“There is a passive tracking device inside me. They were going to use it to locate my men and myself and attempt a rescue.”

 

“Will I have to cut you open to remove this device or will you swear not to attempt to escape.”

 

“You are asking me to betray my mission.”

 

“You already did when you told me what it was. I asked for your loyalty in return for your men. Will you give it to me?”

 

“I will not attempt to escape,” Chase replied after a half minute of silence.

 

“Good, and in return for this gift I give you my trust,” the Heir said benevolently. “Now for the second thing I want in return… I want fusion.”

 

“Fusion?” Chase asked, confused.

 

“I want you to undergo fusion… to become more compatible to my race.”

 

“You mean reconditioning.”

 

“No, reconditioning is something only the Toran do. I want fusion.”

 

“For what purpose?”

 

“So I might mate with you,” the Heir said in a lusting tone.

 

“Mate… we’re two different speices.”

 

“Which is why I want fusion.”

 

“But why me? Why a human?”

 

“You are different from other humans. Lord Farr was not wrong about that.”

 

“Is this because I’m gay?”

 

“Gay?” the Heir asked this time him being the one confused.

 

“I sleep with other men… actually just one man, my boyfriend.”

 

“Now this we did not know,” the Heir laughed. “Our two species might not be that different after all. How do you and another man mate?”

 

“Well we don’t actually mate… we just kind of have sex.”

 

“So no offspring?”

 

“No,” Chase said his face starting to turn red.

 

“How unusual.”

 

“Can two of your men have children?”

 

“We have the technology.”

 

“But that wasn’t always the case.”

 

“No… the Toran long ago evolved into a single sex species. They can become pregnant at will… and sometimes by accident. In the case of my people technology was our undoing. When our genetic and reproductive technology reaches a certain point things such as marriage ceased to exist. Our females no longer needed us to have children nor did we need them. Over time our sexual habits began to change until our men and women rarely had sex with each other. Eventually we began to see ourselves as two separate species. We even changed our genetics so we would not longer be attracted to each other. In order to avoid conflict a settlement was reached. Our women were given entire control over our second largest continent on Galish. It involved mass migrations of billions of people but it achieved peace.”

 

“Where are they now?” Chase whispered.

 

“They are all dead. Unlike us they felt the exploration of space was a waste of resources, resources they felt could be put to better use on art, music, and the environment. They built a kind of utopia that we could only watch with envy. It and they were destroyed when your people came to our world.”

 

“I am sorry,” Chase apologized.

 

“If you truly are then you will agree to fusion. If our two species can be made compatible I can put a stop to the killing.”

 

“I agree,” Chase nodded while all he could think about was Caleb.

 

*********************************************************

 

When the back of the cage opened none of the men inside knew what to expect, seeing only a dimly lit tunnel ahead of them. Caleb, now in charge, therefore had to lead them through it. There at the end guards equipped them with silver collars which gave each of them a short jolt. An invader in white armor then spoke to them, all of the surprised when they understood.

 

“You are now the property of the Imperial Heir of the Toran-Vas Empire. You are to be given Imperial reconditioning. This is an honor and must not be refused. Those who do so will be executed. It is the wish of your former commanding officer that you do not resist. If it was not for him you all would be disassembled into cyborg soldiers.”

 

“This way,” one of the guards ordered after the Invader in white finished his speech.

 

“Reconditioning… I don’t like the sound of that,” Andrews said nervously.

 

“At least Chase is still alive,” Caleb replied.

 

“And saved us from being turned into androids,” Jake added.

 

“I wouldn’t celebrate yet… we don’t know what imperial condition is yet.” Caleb warned.

 

“Most likely a form of brainwashing to ensure our loyalty,” Andrew guessed as they were led into a room lined with circular platforms.

 

“Each one of you step on a platform,” the guard ordered.

 

“Why?” Landon demanded.

 

“Do you refuse reconditioning?” The guard demanded.

 

“Yes I do,” Landon said before Caleb could stop him. Before anything more could be said the guard fired his gun at Landon, shooting a blast bolt that burned halfway through the man’s chest.

 

“Does anyone else refuse?” the guard asked as Landon fell down dead.

 

“For goodness sakes no one else refused,” Caleb hissed.

 

One by one the remaining men each stepped on a separate platform and encased in glass as the cylinders lowered from the ceiling. The tanks then began to fill with a light blue liquid that made them feel as if their skin was on fire. When the tanks were full enough and they were breathing the liquid in their insides felt as if they were burning as well until the only thing they could think on was the pain they were in, a pain that seemed to last forever.

 

When the tanks finally drained each man was found sobbing as they tried to clear their lungs. The cylinders then lifted and suddenly each one of them was filled with a sudden rush of pleasure. Crawling on their knees they walked towards its source, finding themselves begging at the feet of the Imperial Heir.

 

“Rise my children… I have come to save you,” He said as he lifted Caleb, his skin stained blue, onto his feet.

 

“Master…” Caleb whispered as he continued to sob.

 

*****************************************************

 

“See, I’ve kept my promise,” the Imperial Heir said when he returned to the Central Dome with Chase’s men, each one wearing blue battle armor.

 

“You’ve broken them.” Chase whispered.

 

“I told you I would. I also told you what the alternative would be.” Calis replied. “I am willing to accept your loyalty on trust. Trust is something I rarely give.”

 

“I will keep my word,” Chase replied.

 

“I know you will. I promise I will make you happy,” Calis whispered into Chase’s ear. “It is time.”

 

“Will it hurt,” Chase said as a floating table was brought in.

 

“It will hurt.” Calis nodded.

 

“Good… it deserves to hurt.” Chase said as he lay down on the bed, letting the servants remove his clothes.

 

“Your men are no longer in pain,” Calis promised. “You should be proud Chase… you saved them.”

 

“I destroyed them,” Chase said, his temper rising.

 

“Be calm… it will make this that much easier.” Calis said in an almost pleading tone as he placed a hand on Chase’s bare chest.

 

“I hate you,” Chase said, fighting the conflicting emotions Calis was triggering inside him.

 

“I know you do. I promise it will get better.” Calis said as the servants took the floating bed away. As it pass the row of guards one of them reached out and touched the edge of the bed.

 

“You there?” Calis said pointing to the guard who had moved out of place.

 

“Yes your Imperial Highness,” the man said, going down on one knee.

 

“Why did you move out of place?”

 

“I do not know your highness.”

 

“Come here,” Calis ordered. “Which one are you?” he asked when the guard was standing before him.

 

“I am Caleb Erikson.”

 

“The boyfriend…” Calis sighed trying not to look shocked. He could feel the imperial condition in the man, the adoration he felt for the Imperial Heir but somehow a part of his old self had not been burned away by pain and pleasure. Somewhere buried inside him Caleb remembered who he was truly in love with. If he remember so could the rest of the men. There was nothing Calis could do however… he had given his word, these men now belonged to Chase. Chase had given his word as well… to be loyal. Something told Calis Caleb and Chase had a similar understanding. Calis knew if he forced Chase to betray Caleb that he could not expect Chase to be loyal to him. That meant he needed Caleb almost as much as he needed Chase.

 

“Caleb… you care about Chase?”

 

“I do master.”

 

“Then I think I will make you our chief bodyguard. Would you like that?”

 

“Yes master I would.”

 

“A bodyguard must know many things about the people he is sworn to protect.”

 

“Then tell me what I must know.” Caleb said eagerly.

 

“Come with me and I will show you.” Calis said as he led Caleb toward his bedchambers.

 

*************************************************

 

“Sotoran…” Chase whispered when the red robed noble entered the operating room.

 

“Lord Anderson,” Sotoran bowed. “I am here to act as the eyes and ears of my master.”

 

“What is to actually happen? What fusion is?”

 

“Think of it as a caterpillar turning into a butterfly.”

 

“So I’m to be cocooned?”

 

“Yes,” Sotoran nodded.

 

“Will I be aware of what’s happening?”

 

“I am afraid so.”

 

“So I am not the first?”

 

“No, you’re not.” Sotoran sighed.

 

“I take it none have every survived?”

 

“Those that have would have been better off if they hadn’t.”

 

“What are my chances?”

 

“Better than those who have come before you. Calis wants this to succeed. He is therefore not being as ambitious with you as he was with the others.”

 

“Why me?”

 

“Because you inspire loyalty in others.”

 

“So does his highness.”

 

“But you know how he does it,” Sotoran replied. “You do it through love.”

 

“Did he do the same to you?”

 

“No… I am his brother. Our blood-ties leads him to trust me.” Sotoran said as the doctors began to enter the room.

 

“I was told this would hurt.”

 

“More than you can possibly imagine.”

 

“I guess that’s fair considering what I’ve done.”

 

“You did what you had to do. I must tell you one last thing… something you must know and hang on to while you endure this cruelty. Caleb remembers.”

 

“He does?” Chase said, tearing running down his face as the doctors began attaching IV all over his body.

 

“Yes, and Calis knows it. You can still be with Caleb but you must not betray Calis.” Sotoran warned. “If you survive fusion know that Calis won’t be able to read your mind anymore… you can tell him you love him and he won’t know it’s a lie.”

 

“Thank you Sotoran,” Chase said through gritted teeth before he began to scream in pain.

 

******************************************************

 

Walking into his brother’s bedroom, Sotoran went down on one knee. “It is almost time your highness.”

 

“And?” Calis asked, rolling off Caleb.

 

“Tests show it was a complete success. The first few weeks will be important however. There is the danger of infection and he must feed.”

 

“But he will survive?”

 

“He will,” Sotoran said, bowing deeper.

 

“I must go to him. I want to be there when he emerges.”

 

“He will be very weak your highness. He might not be able to talk.”

 

“Still I should be there,” Calis insisted, jumping off the bed.

 

“And Caleb?”

 

“He won’t be awake anytime soon,” Calis laughed.

 

“I thought…” Sotoran said confused.

 

“I know… I said I would let Chase feed from him first. Things just got out of hand. I can understand why Chase is so fond of him now. We will bring Andrew instead.”

 

“As you wish your highness.” Sotoran said before standing.

 

On entering the operating room the three of them saw that cracks had already formed in the cocoon, ichors dripping from the seams. “Doctor?” Calis asked.

 

“Yes your Imperial Highness,” Calis’ personal surgeon bowed.

 

“Tell me everything,” Calis said as he circled around the operating table.

 

“He is… perfect your highness. He has both his original sexual organs but also a functioning pair of Vas female organs as well.”

 

“What will he look like?”

 

“Male your highness except for the three sets of pores on the sides of his ribs that lead to the mating tubes.”

 

“And his telepathic ability.”

 

“Very strong your highness… females were always stronger than the males.”

 

“How much pain is he in?” Sotoran asked.

 

“That is hard to measure. He is in pain... how much, we don’t know.”

 

“Can you do anything for it?” Calis asked.

 

“No your highness. In the past we have attempted to use a sedative but results in death. Right now he’s trying to break through his cocoon. If we sedate him now he’ll be too weak to. He could suffocate when the ichors drains away,” the doctor said as he suddenly noticed Andrew touching the cocoon. “Get away from there guard!”

 

“It is alright,” Calis said calmly. “Guard, what do you sense?”

 

“Chase… he’s in so much pain. Every nerve on his body is raw. He knows he must get out of the cocoon soon but he is so weak.”

 

“What does he want us to do?” Sotoran asked.

 

“There is nothing that can be done. We can’t break the cocoon for him. That could kill him.” The doctor insisted.

 

“He’s trying to break free.” Andrew said as more cracks appeared. Suddenly a hand appeared, covered with a thick membrane. Andrew grabbed that hand and pulled out the rest of Chase’s arm. He then reached into the cocoon, making the hole bigger until a second arm came through. Andrew then reached for his belt and took out a knife, cutting away the membrane that covered Chase’s body. When Chase’s head came out he helped free him there as well, letting Chase gasp for air before he collapsed back down on the table, exhausted.

 

“Get him to isolation. We’ll remove the rest of the cocoon there,” the doctor told his assistants.

 

“He’s going to survive,” Calis sighed.

 

“So long as there’s no infection he well. His skin is very sensitive right now,” Sotoran replied.

 

“Where is the guard?” Calis asked when he noticed Andrew was gone.

 

“He went with the doctor.”

 

“The imperial conditioning failed?”

 

“You suspected it had for some time,” Sotoran said.

 

“It doesn’t really matter does it… I mean I will have Chase after all.”

 

“Yes you will,” Sotoran said encouragingly.

 

“As soon as he’s well I want you to start work on the next phase of our plans.”

 

“It has already been taken care of. The throne is yours anytime you want it.”

 

“Good… it’s about time we put an end to the Toran.”

 

*********************************************************

 

“Andrew,” Chase sighed when he awoke.

 

“Shhh… you should rest.” Andrew insisted.

 

“How long has it been?”

 

“Three months my lord.”

 

“Please do not call me that.”

 

“I must… nobody must know you freed me from my conditioning.”

 

“You will be the only one I will,” Chase whispered.

 

“Caleb?”

 

“Caleb has never been under it… not all the way at least. Out of all of you I dare not free him all the way.”

 

“Calis has seduced him.”

 

“I know… it is the silent bargain I must accept. Calis swore not to kill any of you so he can’t rid himself of Caleb. If I prove myself disloyal will he be justified to. Sharing Caleb with him is the compromise I must make.”

 

“So why did you free me?”

 

“You know why Andrew,” Chase chuckled softly.

 

“Why you dumped me for him I’ll never understand.”

 

“You also know the answer to that.”

 

“Yes I cheated… but it was not like we ever talked about being in a closed relationship.”

 

“You knew what I wanted.”

 

“Okay it was my fault… are you happy now?” Andrew sighed.

 

“You know I never stopped loving you.”

 

“But you love Caleb more.”

 

“It takes more than love to make a relationship work. I needed to know you wouldn’t leave me over another guy.”

 

“Well I’m not going to leave you now. You did more than break me from my conditioning.”

 

“No, that’s exactly what I did. Calis thought he had erased your past, replacing it with a memory of endless pain. All I did was remind you of the days when you were happy.”

 

“You reminded me of the days I was with you,” Andrew pointed out. “That’s all I can remember. It’s all I think about now.”

 

“I know and I’m sorry.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I have made you fall in love with me again.”

 

“And that’s bad?”

 

“There is nothing I can give you Andrew.”

 

“I don’t believe that.”

 

“Please Andrew I’m a telepath now… I can sense your feelings towards me.”

 

“So you know,” Andrew said, touching the protective plastic around Chase’s bed.

 

“Yes I do, which only puts you in danger. Calis knows about Caleb. There is nothing I can do about that. He does not know about you however. Caleb doesn’t even know.”

 

“We need to escape.”

 

“I swore I wouldn’t.”

 

“You swore you wouldn’t escape. You said nothing about helping others.”

 

“I will try. They will kill you, or worse put you through normal reconditioning.”

 

“Calis swore he wouldn’t.”

 

“Calis is not the Emperor.”

 

“But he soon will be… and I think sooner rather than ten months from now when he’s supposed to.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“There’s no love between the Emperor and the Heir. This will be the first transfer of power since their home world was devastated. Maybe Calis doesn’t trust the Toran to let him take the throne.”

 

“How many of the cyborgs are human?” Chase asked.

 

“I don’t know… could be millions.”

 

“See if you can get Argis to come to me.”

 

“He’s loyal to the Heir.” Andrew pointed out.

 

“Which means he might know how many cyborgs are loyal to Calis.

 

“I’ll do what I can,” Andrew nodded. “You try to rest now. Tomorrow they’ll be starting the next phase. Calis wants you to look your best on your wedding day after all.”

 

“I can hardly wait,” Chase sighed, closing his eyes.

 

**************************************************

 

“This doesn’t quite seem honest,” Chase replied as he sat soaking in a nutrient bath.

 

“Why do you say that?” Calis asked sitting in a chair next to the tub.

 

“I mean one is supposed to work hard to get a good body… you know, exercise.”

 

“You are far too weak to be exerting yourself.”

 

“So I’m just supposed to sit in this tub and let your nano-bots build up my body.”

 

“Yes, and that’s an imperial order.” Calis laughed.

 

“What other imperial orders have you been giving?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I mean I know about the human cyborgs.”

 

“Oh,” Calis said, all cheerfulness leaving his voice. “That’s not any concern of yours.”

 

“I’m not supposed to know you’re about to commit treason?”

 

“It’s either us or them,” Calis insisted. “Do you think the Toran like sharing power with us… especially when there are so few of us left?”

 

“What will happen to the Toran?”

 

“Does it really matter to you?”

 

“I need to know I’ve not committed myself to someone willing to commit genocide.”

 

“They will be reconditioned.” Calis said flatly.

 

“As cyborgs?”

 

“Yes. Given that it’s the only way to save your people you should be happy. The Torans won’t be happy until humanity has all been reconditioned or killed.”

 

“What do you intend for my men?”

 

“I planned on giving them to you as a wedding gift. I guess you ruined that surprise.”

 

“What do you mean by that?”

 

“You are part human and part Vas… there is a device here in the central dome which can magnify your telepathic abilities a million fold. If you were to use it, it would most likely burn out your ability but during that brief moment you will have the power to recondition every human on the planet.”

 

“That’s insane. Why would I do that?”

 

“To end the war. My people are here to stay. Mankind can either be a part of our future or erased from it.”

 

“What sort of reconditioning are you thinking of?”

 

“To love us of course. That’s why I picked you… you have the ability to bind people to you with love. Not even imperial conditioning can match that.”

 

“And then what?”

 

“My people will fuse with yours.”

 

“Put all of mankind through what you did to me?”

 

‘No, of course not. Our children are the key to that. Those pores along your ribs, they lead to eggs sacks you gained during fusion. The night I marry you, we will mate… creating a new race of Human-Vas hybrids which can breed with both races.”

 

“I’m to become pregnant?”

 

“No, back on our home world my people would mate on a beach and then run into the ocean to release our eggs. Our children would spend the first twelve years of their life in the ocean, coming out of the sea only when they were full adults.”

 

“And our children?”

 

“I will not risk them being released haphazardly into the ocean. You will release the eggs into a mating pool. There we will be able to watch over and nurture them.”

 

“When were you going to tell me this?”

 

“I wasn’t… I was too afraid to.”

 

“Afraid I would say no?”

 

“A Vas can only mate once in their lifetime. That is why there have always been so few of us. We also mate for life. I knew if I could get you to mate with me I would never have to worry about losing you. We would be bonded, forever.”

 

“Why couldn’t you have recreated your females?”

 

“A Vas female has forty-six sex chromosomes. We males only have two, just like you. Originally there were only one female to fifty males. I guess that helps explain why our people became divided. Our ability to produce artificial chromosomes is limited. Since as a male human you have a copy of your female chromosome we were able to take advantage of that to fuse you with a few key Vas female genes.”

 

“So you did this for the sake of your people?”

 

“A people your race almost destroyed,” Calis pointed out.

 

“So I am the redeemer… the only way for my people to gain forgiveness?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Then I will give you this. Now what will you give me in return?” Chase said in a cold voice.

 

“Anything…” Calis said hope and lust in his voice.

 

“Give me my friends.”

 

“I have already given them to you.”

 

“No, I want their freedom. I want the war over now. I want the freedom to love whoever I want.”

 

“You can have everything but not Caleb,” Calis replied. “You can sleep with him as much as you want but you may not free him from me.”

 

“I knew you would say that…” Chase said bitterly. “If he were freed he would kill you. I swore to be loyal and I will keep my oath.”

 

“If you wish me to end the war now I must move you to safety first. When I make my move the Central Dome will become a battlefield.”

 

“Good… I’ve been in this tub long enough.” Chase sighed, standing up.

 

“Very nice,” Calis grinned, seeing Chase’s rippling body.

 

“I still feel this is cheating.” Chase said, stepping out of the tub.

 

“Think of it this way… Caleb will be impressed.” Calis chuckled.

 

*************************************************************

 

“We’ve been here three days.” Andrew grumbled. Since Calis snuck them out of the Central Dome they had been living in an abandoned town on the Isle of Man.

 

“We could be here for weeks.” Chase replied, his eyes on the sky.

 

“The least Calis could have done is let us all go,” Andrew insisted.

 

“He’s not a fool Andrew. He kept Caleb and other others on purpose just so I wouldn’t feel tempted to break my word.”

 

“But you’re free now,” Andrew said as he wrapped his arms around the man’s waist.

 

“Andrew… we caused the near genocide of three cultures. Do you know how many the Vas have tried fusion with? Thousands and not one has survived. I’m the only chance mankind has to stop the slaughter.”

 

“I know you have to go back. I was referring to us. How long has it been since you last had sex.”

 

“The night before we left Oklahoma for Topeka.”

 

“Too long,” Andrew laughed. “Come on, I know you’re a telepath so you know what I’m thinking about.”

 

“I know and I appreciate it.”

 

“You can appreciate a lot more on your back,” Andrew suggested.

 

“I don’t want to break your heart again Andrew.”

 

“Because of all that nonsense Calis told you about becoming bonded to him?”

 

“It’s what happens to all Vas who mate. I asked Sotoran and he confirmed it.”

 

“Then how about we confirm it on our own.”

 

“You mean you and I mate… you don’t have the right equipment for that.”

 

“What more do we need than an eye dropper.” Andrew said.

 

“You can’t be serious.”

 

“I’m deadly serious. Do you really want to have Calis’ offspring?”

 

“I have to.” Chase insisted.

 

“You have six egg sacks. Surely Calis won’t notice if one is a dud.”

 

“We’ll need to get closer to the beach. From what I was told the fertilized eggs won’t stay in me long.”

 

“You will?” Andrew asked, spinning Chase around excitedly.

 

“I will even though in twelve years time Calis will know I betrayed him.”

 

“What will happen in twelve years?”

 

“Our children will come out of the sea.”

 

“And that is a risk you are willing to take.”

 

“Yes… if it can’t be Caleb then I know no one else other than you.” Chase said before pulling Andrew into a deep kiss.

 

*******************************************

 

Lying exhausted on the beach Andrew saw Chase arrive back on shore, walking towards him. “It’s done,” Chase said, laying down on top of Andrew.

 

“I don’t remember sex ever being this overwhelming.” Andrew sighed There was a stream of dried blood on his neck

 

“I’m sorry, I sort of lost control.”

 

“I’m not complaining… I just wish I had more energy to go another round.”

 

“You’re bonded to me now,” Chase said before kissing the top of Andrew’s forehead.

 

“You’re right… I think I am,” Andrew laughed. “How did that happen?”

 

“A simple eyedropper and your sperm. The eggs being fertilized triggered a knee jerk reaction in my mind. I’m sorry.”

 

“That I am now more in love with you than every before? As I said, I’m not complaining.”

 

“What are we going to do now?”

 

“I don’t know… hope that the Toran and Vas wipe each other out. You and I could then live here for the rest of our lives.”

 

“That would be nice.” Chase said, kissing his way down to Andrew’s neck.

 

“Feeding time?” Andrew chuckled.

 

“I don’t want to.”

 

“But you need to. I would see it as an honor for you to take my blood.” Andrew insisted, letting out a deep sigh as he felt Chase’s teeth bite into him. “There now take all you need.”

 

When Chase did finish feeding he carried Andrew back into town where Thomas and Jake were waiting. “Any news?”

 

“Yes… we’ve been discovered.” Jake whispered as soldiers, human soldiers appeared around them.

 

“Please take Andrew inside,” Chase whispered handing him to Jake. He then turned around and faced the soldiers. “Who’s in charge?”

 

“I am Lieutenant… Colonel Darren Fisher. Your father’s been awfully worried about you.”

 

“Tell my father the war will soon be over… one way or another.”

 

“He’ll be glad to hear that. We knew something was up when the Invaders stopped advancing three days ago. About the same time we picked up your signal. If you want you can tell him the good news yourself.”

 

“I’m afraid I can’t colonel. The Invaders still have most of my men.”

 

“Lieutenant I’m under strict orders to see you get to Fort Hood. The general needs to debrief you.”

 

“I can’t sir. You can take my men but you can’t take me. I swore I wouldn’t try to escape.”

 

“Didn’t you escape to this island?”

 

“No, the Invaders put me here… at least one faction did. They’re fighting a civil war and I’m a key part of it”

 

“That’s why you need to be debriefed. We need to know what’s going on.”

 

“No, you and your men need to get out of here before the Invaders come to check on me. My men can tell you everything you need to know.”

 

“This goes against my orders not to mention my better judgment but alright, we’ll take your men and go. I just hope you know what you’re doing.”

 

“It’s for the best,” Chase insisted. “Be sure to tell my father to look into wormholes and any secret projects that happened ten years ago.”

 

“Wormholes?” Darren asked.

 

“Yes, it turns out we started this war. It was an accident but we caused it. The others will explain.”

 

“Alright… I still feel you’re not telling me everything but I’ll just have to trust your judgment.”

 

An hour later they were all gone and Chase was alone. He remained alone for three more weeks before a massive Invader ship arrived. Calis walked into town with a smug smile on his face. “We won… the Toran are no more.”

 

“Good… and the war?”

 

“That will end once you recondition the remaining humans. You can do that after we mate since the machine will burn out your telepathic ability.”

 

“Then let us return to the Central Dome,” Chase replied, taking Calis’ hand.

 

Soon Chase found himself on the shallow end of a gigantic pool Calis’ limbs wrapped around him, six tendrils that extended from his back buried inside the pores on Chase’s body.

 

“Do you love me now?” Chase asked as he held Calis in his arms.

 

“More than anything.” Calis whispered, emotionally overwhelmed.

 

“Then lets end this war,” Chase replied as he pulled away, eggs streaming out of his body.

 

“Yes… anything you want,” Calis replied, not noticing that no eggs were coming out of one of the pores.

 

Once he was empty of eggs Chase noticed the pores in his body sealing up, never to open again. To his surprise he felt a sad emptiness inside him. He had never gotten used to the fact that there were eggs inside him but now that they were all gone he felt as if he had lost something important.

 

Following Calis, Chase entered the imperial throne room where the new Emperor offered Chase to sit on the throne. Once in the chair Calis pushed a button on the throne’s armrest causing a device that looked like a giant gold crown to descend to fit snuggly on Chase’s head.

 

“How does this work?”

 

“Open your mind until it encompasses the entire planet, then think of a human… any human and it will connect you to them all. After that all you have to do is tell them to love you.”

 

“I think I understand,” Chase whispered, closing his eyes to concentrate. As he opened his mind his head began to feel as if it was on fire. When it encompassed the entire world it was an inferno. He then thought of Andrew and how much he loved him… that love spreading throughout humanity. He then thought of Lord Fazz and wished him dead, ending the suffering of all the Toran who had been reconditioned. He then thought of Calis and because he had mated with him only drove the ambition out of his and all the other Vas. He did all this yet wanted to do more… to do one last thing. His ability almost all burned away he struggled to reach for Caleb to attempt to free him from his imperial conditioning. He was too weak however having done more than he should. All he was able to manage was to brush against Caleb’s mind and awaken a few faint memories before he was completely burned out. Chase then collapsed, falling into a deep coma.

 

 ***********************************************************

 

 

“It is done…” Caleb whispered, the gold crown rising off his head. “You can destroy that thing now.”

 

“As you wish,” Argis bowed.

 

General Anderson, have been brought to the Central dome for the treaty signing was shocked by what he had witnessed. “Are you sure that is a good idea. It is the most powerful weapon on the planet.”

 

“It is too power,” Caleb replied, walking to the floating bed Chase was laid on.

 

“But what if the Toran’s return? We might need it again,” the general insisted.

 

“You are referring to the wormhole project?”

 

“Yes… before we could stop them they sent thousands of people off to dozens of worlds. Who knows… what happened to the Invaders might happen again. Maybe an even more powerful race will come after us.”

 

“It is still too dangerous,” Caleb said sternly.

 

“You are in charge here.” “How soon until my son awakens?”

 

“The damage was extensive. He tried to do too much. I used the crown to repair the damage. It is now up to him to decide when to wake up.”

 

“Can you not touch him with your mind?”

 

“I’m afraid to. If I touch him he might become aware of everything.”

 

“Do it Caleb,” Andrew insisted. “He needs to know there is a life waiting for him to wake up to.”

 

“Very well,” From his back six long tenders extended out, brushing against Chase’s body. Slowly Chase opened his eyes, a small smile forming on his face. “Welcome back Chase.”

 

“How long?”

 

“A year,” Caleb replied. “I’m sorry it took so long. For a time I was confused and didn’t know what to do. “

 

“And this?” Chase asked letting his fingers touch one of the tendrils.

 

“I went through fusion. It was the only way I could save you.”

 

“What about the Vas?”

 

“They are all dead Chase. I don’t know what you did but whatever it was it destroyed their will to live. That’s why I took so long. I had to try and save Calis first.”

 

“Is he dead?”

 

“No… I couldn’t let him die. That part of my conditioning could not be removed. I… I put both him and his brother through imperial conditioning. They are the last of the Vas.”

 

“So… you’re in charge.”

 

“Aye, I am. You might say I’m now the Emperor.”

 

“At leas the war is over.” Chase sighed.

 

“It is… not that there is much left. Only half a billion people survived. Most have moved into the domes since almost every town and city has been destroyed.”

 

“What happens now?”

 

“You and I are going to go away for a while… consider it a honeymoon.” Caleb chuckled as his tendrils gently raised Chase from the bed.

 

“With or without Calis?” Even now Chase felt the bond.

 

“With him of course… we’ll also be taking along Andrew.”

 

“So you know?”

 

“Yes we know.” Caleb whispered as he embraced Chase tightly.

 

“And you finally got what you always wanted.”

 

“And what’s that?”

 

“Me as a bride,” Chase laughed softly.

 

“Well I…” Caleb said with a guilty expression in his face. “You really didn’t think I would want to be carrying around egg pouches.”

 

“I know… you want to be the man.”

 

“I am the man,” Caleb grinned, lifting Chase off the bed. “I am Emperor after all.”

 

“That doesn’t make me your empress.” Chase insisted.

 

“I would never think of calling you that.”

 

“Then what is to be my title your majesty?”

 

“Prince consort.”

 

“And the others?”

 

“What others?”

 

“Please Caleb… don’t treat me like a fool.”

 

“So you know?”

 

“Yes I do.” Chase chuckled.

 

“Okay… so while I was wallowing in self pity I sort of became a slut. You got me. The men… our gay platoon, they’re different now. Without Calis they started to turn to me.”

 

“And fell in love with you.”

 

“It couldn’t be helped. This telepathy thing is not all it’s cracked up to be. I mean you KNOW things, know how people feel about you. I found I couldn’t ignore it.”

 

“I know… even under Calis’ control I knew you still loved me.” Chase whispered as he felt his chest begin to stir. Looking down he saw the pores along his ribs open up again.

 

“Oh my…” Caleb laughed lustfully.

 

“This isn’t supposed to happen.” Chase said confused.

 

“You forget Chase…” Sotoran said, now much thinner as he stepped forward. “We used your own X chromosome to allow fusion. Your women can mate more than once. You should not be surprised that you can as well.”

 

“And Calis?”

 

“Calis is pure Vas… his tendrils fell off a few days after mating with you.” Sotoran replied.

 

“Well Chase… shall we?” Caleb asked, desire filling his eyes.

 

“Yes.” Chase said with a wide smile. With that word he felt his mind expand… the telepathic ability he had burned out coming back to life.

 

“So what do you think general?” Andrew asked after Chase and Caleb had left for the mating pool.

 

“A part of me wants to stop them but I know that I can’t. We didn’t intend to but we took part in the genocide to two powerful races and almost became extinct ourselves. Many of our leaders feel we should kill my son’s offspring before they reach adulthood. I have convinced them that would be a fatal mistake. First the cyborgs are completely under Calebs control. Second, there are your children, corporal. Chase released your eggs into the ocean. There is no telling where they will rise from the sea. For better or for worst mankind’s fate is tied to my son’s children. We are now the Human-Vas Empire.”

Copyright © 2012 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is quite an epic tale.

I'm not sure what to think about the tentacle sex. I'll just pretend it never happened.

Do continue though. This was very excellent. My only complaint is the beginning reference about gays in the military. Don't Ask Don't Tell has been officially abolished. (For now. God damn republican conservatives).

Link to comment
On 01/12/2012 10:39 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
This is quite an epic tale.

I'm not sure what to think about the tentacle sex. I'll just pretend it never happened.

Do continue though. This was very excellent. My only complaint is the beginning reference about gays in the military. Don't Ask Don't Tell has been officially abolished. (For now. God damn republican conservatives).

Thanks for the comment. This was an old story I wrote before DADT was abolished. Forgot to change that part of the tale when I decided I would post it. My bad.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..