Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 11,502 Words
  • 825 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Empress Kellene - 1. Empress Kellene

“Orac, sir, the warriors are approaching,” Narius the messenger said as he stepped into the room where Commander Orac is waiting patiently for the guests to arrive.

“Explain to them that I will be with them shortly,” Orac said as he stood and took hold of his scarlet red handled sword.

“As you wish,” Narius said as he turned on his heels and left the room. The guards manning the entrance followed the short messenger out closing the door behind them and retaking their posts outside. Orac let a long sigh release from his lungs, as he looked up at the thin windows that let in small rays of light. The sun was just starting to rise this morning. He didn’t like this place of power, he was always the first to know when bad things happened and got all the glory for deeds he didn’t do by himself. He was elected when Empress Kellene went into hiding, fearing her own life during the rise of Phorius after he and his followers were exiled.

Walking to the door and knocking, the large wooden doors slowly opened and Orac stepped out into the hall just as the five warriors entered the grand hall in the common grounds. It was a small-fortified Keep in the middle of the four cities. It was the safest place as well as neutral grounds to conduct trade and business between the cities.

“All rise for Commander Orac,” Narius said as trumpets sounded and Orac stepped into the light. The five warriors bowed their heads all hidden by cloaks. Orac waved one arm out and everyone sat, their gaze focused on him waiting to see why they were all summoned.

“I have summoned a small group to be sent on a secret mission,” Orac said then he watched as the great meeting hall erupted into a roar of whispers. The representatives from each city turning to their own and forming small groups to discuss what was just announced. Orac felt his power over them already fading as if they knew what has happened to cause such an order.

“What do you mean, you summoned them?” Montias said as he stood from his seat at the long table. It brought an uneasy silence in the hall. Long tables encircled the great hall with the five warriors in the center of the room in seats that wouldn’t be there normally.

“I told my knights to send me five warriors of their choosing,” Orac answered leaning forward on his podium. “That is all you need to know.”

“I would think we would be in charge of something like that,” Montias said looking around the room realizing he had the full attention of the room.

“You all elected me to be the ruling power through these unsafe times,” Orac said. He was trying to keep his anger from taking over his air glaring at Montias not wanting to be challenged any further. “Trust me to know what is best for our people.”

“Why do you need these five, and why only five?” Montias asked not sitting down in his heavy wooden chair. Each of the four cities had seven representatives to oversee all the rulings of the cities, to keep order, and have equal representation.

“I won’t allow you to know that information,” Orac said as he looked around challenging anyone to speak against him. His glare had kept the room silent and Montias sat back in his seat. “Now on to my agenda, I called you all here to discuss the needs of your cities as it is the beginning of spring and in these hard times the cities need a well thought out recourse plan.” Orac left waving Narius into action with his hand as he passed and walked back into his seclusion.

“Right,” Narius said stepping from the shadows of the room into the middle, right in front of the warriors who all sat silently still hiding their faces with their cloaks. “You five will follow me to the throne room.” Narius waved his hand. All five of them stood and followed him into the room where Orac had returned. Everyone watched them closely as they left, but the five didn’t flinch even if they all knew every eye in the room was trying to catch a glimpse of them. “Announce me.”

The doors opened slowly with the guards turning and walking through announcing Narius who was starting to feel more important. He had never been this active and knew all of Orac’s thoughts as he had been entrusted with it all. Orac was alone with Kellene gone. She was the unifying person for the cities. She had organized them with her older sister Ciaran who was also missing after Phorius was successfully driven out of his attempt of power.

“Orac, Narius has entered with the five warriors,” the taller guard said. Orac had covered his face and was looking at the ground. When the guard spoke, he jumped slightly and looked up, his eyes weak and his shoulders slumped.

“Do you wish to be left alone?” Narius asked stepping forward with a slight bow.

“No, Narius leave us and go make sure the Representatives stay on task,” Orac said, “and be ready to give me a full report.”

“Yes, sir,” he said bowing again and leaving, the large wooden doors gliding shut as he left.

“Let me see your faces,” Orac said standing from the chair, “and what are your names?” Four of the warriors opened their cloaks then removing their hoods letting the cloaks fall from their bodies onto the floor. Their different crested armors noticeable now. The fifth, which was standing in the middle hesitated then let out a sigh before dropping the cloak like the others. “A girl.”

“My name is Ketra,” she said bowing her head slightly. “I’m from Oracian, like you sir.” She was wearing the scarlet crest with the symbol of an eagle. It was the royal city that offered the most luxuries. It was where Orac lived until he moved to The Keep.

“You were the best to come out of the city?” Orac said taking a closer look at her. It was rare for a girl to enter into the military, especially from Oracian.

“Yes,” she said her shoulders still square with her neck strong and her eyes not faltering as Orac examined her closer.

“Well then,” Orac said turning his attention to the two wearing matching crests on their armor, “you two from Cassile, what are your names?”

“I’m Soren, sir.” The taller of the two answered first. Then Soren looked to his left.

“I’m Reyer,” the other one answered giving an identical bow. Soren and Reyer trained together in Cassile, Reyer being the fifth one chosen. The knights being in control of the selections made the choice to select two from Cassile. It had the largest military out of the four cities. Cassile with an ear of corn on the crest surrounded by the color of the sky was on both their crests. The city was known for the skilled farming, which helped the city survive through trading.

“My name is Erios,” Erios said offering his hand to Orac. Accustomed to the gesture Orac laid his hand on top of Erios’ and then nodded his head. Each city had their own way of greeting, but Serca was the only city to greet by touching. His forest green crest represented by a stag peacefully grazing its crowned glory stretching far away from his head. It was a sign of relaxation and a peaceful wisdom.

“You, from Invancargil, what is your name?” Orac asked turning to the last warrior who smiled and put his fist on his chest.

“My name is Asher,” he said letting his hand drop from his chest to his side, “and I’m honored to be one of the selected five to be under your command.” The smoke colored crest outlined a white willow tree.

“Right,” Orac said stepping back looking the five of them over once more. “I expected you all to be older.” The five warriors looked around getting a look at who they didn’t know. There were distinct differences in them all, other than the color of their crests and the symbols representing their home cities.

“Sir,” Erios said after a silence fell over them. Orac hadn’t said anything, as he didn’t think these young fighters needed to be sent into what he was about to explain to them. He knew it was likely that all five of them would be killed before they accomplished what he needed from them. He didn’t want another huge battle; his cities were already suffering from the losses. The relationship between the cities were also strained and on the verge of ending completely. Everyone needed the authority they were getting used to having when Kellene was given the responsibility.

“You five were chosen by my knights for me,” Orac said snapping out of his thoughts. “Kellene has been taken from her hiding place.” Orac watched as the young fighters standing in front of them all looked troubled by the thought of their ruler being taken.

“She wasn’t being protected?” Erios asked, the first one to speak to Orac.

“She was being protected,” Orac, said, “Phorius is stronger than I thought. You don’t have time to question me. I need you to investigate Phorius and the exiles to see what they want with Kellene.”

“We’re not meant to rescue the Empress then?” Soren asked after Orac paused to look at them once more. They were all starting to feel tense being watched by Orac. None of them looked away from him to fix their eyes on the floor or the wall behind Orac. They knew he was already second-guessing his Knights’ decision on choosing them for the mission he was sending them on.

“Yes, you are,” Orac said studying Soren. “She will be difficult to find and my spies haven’t been heard from for far too long so I don’t have much to offer you. Put your cloaks back on I had your horses taken to my secret entrance. You will need to leave now.”

“Ok,” Soren said as they all bent and retrieved their cloaks concealing who they are once more then followed Orac through an escape door behind Kellene’s throne. The hall wasn’t lit and the smell of stagnant water was strong. Their clinking armor and footsteps were echoing through the hall with the only light coming from Orac’s torch. He stomped out the flame when they reached a moisture rotten door. Orac forced the door open with a loud rusty screech and the cracking of wood as the sunlight washed over them. They were at the back of the Keep surrounded by trees, small bushes, and vines concealing them from the outside world.

“Do not talk to anyone,” Orac said, “you must stay secretive. If the Representatives find truth in the rumors, the cities will erupt in terror and unity will be lost.”

“We won’t,” Ketra answered as they all bowed their head quickly before walking over to the tree their horses were tethered to.

The five of them left Orac standing then as they all quietly stalked through the forest to where their horses had been tied waiting for them. The world that they knew had been kept safe for centuries and this war was something none of warriors of today had faced before. Phorius had led an underground faction against Kellene since the representatives awarded her the throne. It had been a hidden affair, with Kellene’s sister Ciaran being the only other person nominated for the unifying power position. After Kellene won control over the four cities, the selection was revealed to the common people and military. Orac was the deciding vote, but now both sisters were missing, Ciaran predicted to be dead.

“Here’s the horses,” Soren said as he led the small band of warriors through the thick forest. The winter dead leaves still on the ground in early spring made their track through the forest tense with each careful step. Twigs were also snapping and little light broke through the thick canopy.

“We should take off our armor,” Erios said as they stopped by their respective horses.

“What if we’re attacked?” Reyer asked as he reached to untie his horse from the tree they were all tied to.

“Orac said we can’t be recognized,” Erios said, “we can’t hide who we are with our armor on and the weight will slow us.”

“We can put our armor back on when we reach the Turoch River,” Ketra said.

“When you show yourself worthy of an opinion speak it,” Soren said glaring in Ketra’s direction then he started taking off his armor. “I do think we need to remove any hints of who we are for the time being.” Ketra studied Soren, but didn’t speak not wanting to cause an argument this close to the Keep. They needed to hurry in their decision-making before the Representatives finish with their planning. Really a diversion from the journey and she along with the others wanted to prove their worth to Orac and the cities they represented. Ketra ducked behind a large tree away from the men to remove her specially made armor to put on her thin material dress, which provided her with a comfortable flexibility, but was still suitable for a woman to wear traveling and outside of the estates. Her long sand colored hair being let down flowing down the length of her back, she was noticeably thinner and smaller than her four companions. When she stepped back into view, the four took time to look her over, all of them sharing the same bewildered expression on their face.

“Ready to go?” Erios asked as he smoothed out his cloth rough sewn shirt.

“Yes,” she said as he untied her horse then mounting.

“We’ll have to stay well away from roads,” Asher said mounting his horse as well. No one disagreed, all mounted they started directing their horses through the thick concealing forest. The horses steps being more silent than their own footsteps as they walked slowly in a line with Soren leading the way through a twisting, but definite trail. Reyer behind him with Ketra in the middle and Asher bringing up the rear all of them cloaked and their figures hidden. It was a slow pace, but they couldn’t do anything to hurry along the journey. They were still too close to the Keep to move faster. The vines that took over most of the trees slowed them down even more. Their cloaks getting snagged in the many briars and low hanging shrubs, and the forest gradually becomes quiet the birds silencing their songs as they passed underneath them. The squirrels and quail darted out of the way long before they could be noticed and nothing larger could survive too long in this part of the forest.

“We’ll need to head north,” Asher said causing the rest of them to stop ahead of him. “The City of Oracian is just to the west.”

“We’ll have to pass the trade route if we head north,” Soren said, “then the Turach River blocks our path.”

“We can pass the river where it narrows,” Ketra said, “I’ve traveled the part of the Torach river branch we’d have to cross to stay away from the cities.”

“The winter snow has melted, it will be deeper than usual,” Soren said disagreeing with the plan.

“Then we’ll be noticed,” Ketra said not wanting to be bullied into a place any longer. Both of them turned on their horses to challenge the other to speak. Erios, Reyer, and Asher watched the two to see which one would give way to the other. The whole group had realized that Soren was trying to be the one in command of their small band. Soren was the oldest, but he didn’t travel outside of Cassile much, but he thought the small group needed a leader and so far he was taking that role on.

“We can’t stay here,” Reyer said finally breaking the uneasy silence that had fallen over what seemed like the entire forest. “We should be to the river and out of here by now anyway.”

“We’ll cross the river,” Erios said, “no one said that was going to be simple and no one is more right or wrong. We’ll need the practice anyway, there is not escaping the Torach.”

“Fine,” Soren said snorting as he turned around kicking his horse into a slow walk again. He was already feeling his role of leader slipping away.

None of them knew what this journey entailed. None of them knew how dangerous Phorius was or what he wanted with Kellene or Ciaran. They could both be dead by now. None of them knew any worth either of them would have alive. They have been gone far too long without much thought in their disappearance. The cities hadn’t fallen under attack, there was no reason to fear chaos until now. Failure was the option they had to strive against. Orac didn’t hold out any hope for them though. Their youth and military inexperience was already working against them. They were crossing the Turach, a feat most of the population in the cities hadn’t done.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

“No, I’m not going to do this anymore!” Kellene screeched, flailing her shackled hands in the air as far as she could.

“You will Empress,” Phorius said looking the woman over noticing how the dirt on her face and rips in her clothes made her look less regal than before. Her pride had long drained from her body and now all he could see was her fear.

“Kill me,” Kellene said as she looked up at Phorius, “I won’t create anymore monsters for you.”

“Empress, I only need a few more,” he said laughing as he left Kellene in her cell, his knights guarding the gate locking it behind him.

“Bring her down to the barracks after the sun sets. She will do as I say,” Phorius instructed before he walked down the narrow torch lit hall of the tower he used as Kellene’s prison. It was his castle built by his people. He walked quickly down the winding damp stairs of his new castle, his cloak flipping in the air behind him.

“Is she healthy Phorius?” Ciaran asked meeting him at the bottom of the tower. She had refused to accompany him to her sister’s cell after helping in her kidnapping.

“She’ll live,” he said placing a hand on the narrow part of Ciaran’s back encouraging her to follow him into the dining hall where they would eat before the night’s business.

“You do promise to let her go after you’re finished with her don’t you?” Ciaran asked sitting down to his left at the long table. They were the only two to ever eat in the grand dining hall. Even in the castle’s young age there was a darkness that seemed to elevate Phorius’s mood. The torches used for lighting were small and hung high on the walls. It took like flaming sticks to light them.

“I do, my love,” he said smiling his eyes glinting confirmation to his plan. He had no intention restoring the empress to her unifying glory. She would always be a precious weapon against her own people. He would never let her go.

“I don’t like seeing her suffer,” Ciaran said, “could you bring her down so that she could bathe and have a warm meal?”

“Leave her to me,” Phorius said growing tired of the insistent Ciaran. “If your conscience is tugging on you, remember dear you were the one that let all this happen to your sister.”

“Enough,” Ciaran said, “I could finish this, you need me.”

“Of course,” Phorius said patting her on the hand. Ciaran had battled herself the entire time Kellene had been in power. She was older than her sister and felt fit to take control over the cities. It was the representatives that disagreed.

“I trust you know what’s best,” Ciaran said feeling Phorius’ grasp on her hand tighten slightly. The food was sat in front of them and they ate, Ciaran forgetting about her sister waiting for them in the tower where she is most protected. Phorius was a trusted advisor to Empress Kellene, but even he didn’t know where Orac had sent her to be hidden. Ciaran had sent word from their seclusion. After arriving in the lands Phorius has now claimed as M’Roke with his followers he set out to build his army to gain control of the prospering unified cities seeking finality and power.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

“I’m glad to be out of that forest,” Reyer said as they lined up at the edge still mounted on their horses. They took time scanning the open plains for people, but also enjoying the kingdom, taking in the landscape they haven’t had much time exploring, but about to know well.

“There’s the road, just ahead,” Soren said pointing in the direction of the dirt trade road. It would be active with tradesmen soon with them trading with other Kingdom’s. The snow hadn’t been melted long and the warmth of spring wasn’t at its complete potential.

“We need to be on the other side of the Turach before night fall,” Asher said wanting to keep moving, but still reluctant to enter the plains where anyone outside the city could see them clearly.

“Try to seem casual if we meet anyone on the trade road,” Soren said being the first to move. The open area didn’t restrict them to traveling in a line so they fanned out just being close enough to speak plainly when they needed to. The weather was calm, the sun over head driving them on knowing that it was just past midday by its direct position. The grasses in the plains hadn’t started to renew the plains to the dark healthy green yet. The winter melting left the ground muddy under the horses’ powerful strides as they made their way to the road leading to Oracian from the Keep. A road they had to cross to avoid Oracian directly.

“These plains will be filled with wild flowers soon,” Ketra said, “one of the most beautiful sites I’ve seen.”

“Oracian is a beautiful city,” Erios said looking over his shoulder offering Ketra a smile. He hadn’t liked the way Soren responded to Ketra earlier.

“We shouldn’t talk,” Soren said slowing his pace just in front of everyone else so that he could be heard.

“We’re on a mission Soren, but I feel we would gain more success if we actually liked each other,” Erios said glaring at Soren. “I will be your friend, but you will not command me.”

“I won’t argue here,” Soren said kicking his white horse leaving the group spraying mud as he went.

When the rest approached the road, they saw that Soren was waiting for them off to the side hidden behind his cloak. He motioned for them to come closer when they hesitated on the opposite side of the dirt road. When he pointed the group saw a horse drawn trade wagon approaching them. The man at the reins studying them suspiciously as the wagon kept moving closer.

“What do we do?” Reyer asked looking down hiding his own face from view.

“We act casually,” Asher said, “he’s coming from the Keep, probably heading towards Oracian, just keep your armor hidden from view.”

“Ok,” Reyer said checking to make sure his pack still hid his armor and blue crest.

“How’s it going,” the man said as the cart halted beside them. “Nice spring day isn’t it?”

“Yes,” Erios said, “it is sir a nice day indeed.”

“Have you heard the whispers?” The man asked leaning closer to them letting go of the reins letting his horses rest.

“No, we haven’t,” Soren said, “but we must be on our way, we’re visiting family and we’ve only stopped to rest our horses.”

“Yes, too nice a day to waste gossiping,” the man said snapping the reins. “Have a safe trip.” The man looked over his shoulder as he went past. He had feared being mugged as that was happening to him often when he traveled outside the cities. It was something that never happened to him before. He had heard of small bands of cloaked travelers blockading roads taking supplies and sometimes killing the men leaving the wagons. So far his life had been spared, but he had never challenged his attackers fearing his life would be taken.

“We needed to know what the man knew,” Ketra said after they left the road. “Maybe he could’ve let us know how secretive we’d have to be or if the representatives had become aware of our mission.”

“Why didn’t you speak then?” Soren asked smiling over his shoulder, “you just hid behind us the whole time.”

“I thought it’d look strange a young woman traveling with a bunch of men,” Ketra said, “that is why I didn’t speak.”

“Keep doing that,” Soren said, “it’ll make the trip smoother.”

“She doesn’t have to,” Erios said growing more tired of the tension Soren had caused.

“She said so herself, she thinks it’s strange,” Soren said and the attention turned to Ketra who turned and ignored them both completely. She was going to end this tonight when they were safely hidden for the night.

The cloaked group kept a fast pace until they reached a branch of the Turach river, it was a natural barrier between the city of Oracian and the city of Cassile and their surrounding land. It was the only path they could take to avoid the cities. The water was a cloudy tan color, flowing stronger with the melted snow powering the water on.

“We will never cross this river,” Reyer said, “we’ll have to go around.”

“It’ll be dark soon,” Asher said, “and the woods on this side of the river cannot hide us.”

“That is why you should’ve all listened to me in the beginning,” Soren said as he dismounted to inspect the river closer. The sound of the swollen river left them all uneasy as the rest joined Soren at the edge.

“We could take the rope bridge across,” Erios said causing everyone to turn and look at him.

“What bridge?” Soren asked, Erios pointed in the direction of the narrow bridge across the river. It didn’t look sound and the bridge hovered just above the river.

“Not an option,” Reyer said, “I don’t want to die in the river.”

“We won’t get our horses across,” Soren said as they looked at the bridge closer. The ropes were damp and worn, the wood looked rotten, and a thin layer of blue green mold had formed on some of the planks. Vines snaked their way along the rope anchored to the trees.

“We’ll leave the horses behind,” Erios said as he pulled on the rope. Hearing the popping noise he let go and the rope bridge screeched back into its position.

“We can’t leave our horses,” Reyer said laughing, “they will be what keeps us on good time.”

“We won’t survive without horses,” Soren said.

“Then you cross the river your way,” Erios said, “we have a bridge that we can cross if we leave our horses behind, this isn’t about what’s simple. It’s about what has to be done to get one step closer to getting Empress Kellene back.” Ketra had turned and started removing her saddle from her horse when Soren grabbed her shoulder to stop her. She grabbed his hand and removed it taking hold of her stick. She turned quickly surprising Soren as she swept the stick across the ground knocking him off his feet.

“I’m tired of you,” she said stabbing the end of her stick firmly into Soren’s abdomen causing Soren to lurch as the wind was forced out of his lungs. “Will we have any more problems?”

“No,” Soren whispered glaring weakly up at Ketra. Taken by surprise he held up his hands in submission waiting for her to back away letting him stand.

“Swear to it,” she demanded, “I may be a woman, but I am entitled to my own thoughts.”

“I swear,” Soren said feeling his face flush with embarrassment. He had masked his attraction to Ketra by keeping a stern indifference. Now things would have to change and he hated these feelings getting in the way of his training. It is always supposed to be duty and honor in your heart, not the growing affections of a lady. Ketra backed away from Soren letting him rise to his feet. She turned her back to him to finish undressing her horse. The decision had been quiet in the making none of them wanting to abandon their horses and travel by foot, but when everyone’s possessions were piled on the ground, the horses were lined up and sent galloping in the direction of Oracian, stripped of all evidence.

“I’ll go first,” Ketra said, “I’m the smallest.”

“Ok,” Erios said as he let her take her stop at the front of the rope bridge. When she took the first step the wood beneath her foot screeched and the rope clicked as the tension tightened. “Stay smooth and I’ll keep hold of the rope incase it fails.”

“Alright,” Ketra said trying to control the shaking in her limbs as she slowly stepped the other foot forward never putting her full weight on the same plank. When the bridge held her weight Reyer took his turn being the second in weight with a lot more tension on the bridge. Ryer took hold of the other side of the bridge after crossing. Erios, Asher, and Soren were similar in height, but Soren was the most built being the heaviest.

“Do you think I should go next?” Soren asked not taking a step towards the rope bridge.

“If it fails to hold you, we’ll all be stranded, but if you let Erios and I go across we may be able to save you if do fall into the river.”

“That is the only thing we can do,” Erios said as he started his slow walk across the river. On his way one of the planks broke as he stepped on it, Erios almost falling through the gap made in the bridge.

“Be careful,” Ketra said taking hold of the rope helping Reyer hold onto the bridge. When Erios and Asher made it across the bridge Soren hesitated in making his way across. Taking a step onto the bridge then taking a step back firmly on land.

“Come on Soren, we’ve got you,” Reyer said, “I won’t let you fall.”

“It’s easy to imagine,” Soren said, “but I doubt you could if I fell into the river.”

“Then stay there,” Erios said, “and we’ll go on with out you.”

“No,” Soren said sighing as he took the first step then the second. Every plank made loud cracking sounds as he walked carefully across the bridge. Soren skipped the last three planks by jumping forward knocking everyone off their feet.

“You brute,” Asher said as they all stood dusting themselves off. Everyone got quiet when they realized the rest of the trek was on foot. They would have to pack their supplies. What they didn’t need was dumped into the river. They would have to find food on the way, but it was starting to get dark so they started in the direction of the Turach, their last major obstacle before exiting the safety the cities provided.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*      

“What is this day all about Narius?” Montias asked after the supplies were rationed between the four cities.

“You are all free to go, the supplies have been taken care of,” Narius said preparing to report back to Orac who hadn’t returned to discuss the needs of the cities like he would normally do.

“No Narius,” Montias said, “why were five members of our military summoned without our knowing?”

“You don’t need to know everything that happens, Orac is in charge of the military, you know that,” Narius said standing up straight so that his small stature seemed more important than he really was.

“Why haven’t we heard word of the Empress or her sister?” Lukan asked, he was the oldest representative still living. The representatives are only replaced when they die or retire from their position completely.

“They need to be kept safe a while longer,” Narius said trying to sound convincing.

“We feel something’s wrong,” Lukan said, “there are rumors of an attack on Empress Kellene.”

“I’ll assure you, sir, that everything is fine.” Narius said gathering up the scrolls finishing his report for Orac. “I have to go report back to Orac.”

“If Kellene is dead we’ll need to select a new leader,” Montias said, “and this time I believe it should be one of the representatives.” Montias looked around the room again taking control of the room. The rest of the representatives seemed to agree with the idea of selecting one of them to rule. The fall of the unified cities is starting.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

After the sun set the group prepared for bed in the darkness. They didn’t build a fire fearing the watchmen in Cassile would see their fire. The group was also starving after their long trip to the point they were. They had joined together at the Keep and now they were all lying together uncomfortable under a large tree in the cover of shrubs.

“We’ll need to cover a lot of ground tomorrow,” Soren said as he stretched preparing to take the first watch of the night.

“Yeah,” Reyer said, “the Turach River to cross as well.”

“I’ll stay up with you Soren,” Ketra said sitting up in her spot and resting beside him at the base of the tree, a thin blanket wrapped around her shoulders to keep warm in the dark cold air that surrounded them. Through the night she leaned closer to him feeling the warmth of their bodies being close together. They didn’t speak not wanting to keep the others awake. Their tension slipping away completely when he put his shoulder around her smaller frame leaving Ketra feeling completely protected and supported by him.

“Go to sleep,” Soren whispered when he noticed Ketra laying her head on his shoulder gently then breaking the contact.

“I don’t want to,” she responded leaning her head back down against his shoulder.

“I’ll protect you,” Soren said smiling in the darkness as Ketra’s breathing evened out and she fell asleep in his arms.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

“Bring her to me,” Phorius ordered waiting in the barracks for their nightly routine.

“Please go easy on her,” Ciaran said taking hold of Phorius’ hand as the large doors opened and Kellene was dragged through them against her will. The room was dark and the large open room smelled of death with insects swarming the air filling the room with a buzzing noise as they circled the room.

“I told you I wouldn’t do this for you any longer,” Kellene said standing upright jerking her arms free from the guards restraining her into place.

“Dear, you will do as I say,” Phorius said, “Or you will be the reason your cities fall into chaos.”

“Just listen to Phorius, sister,” Ciaran said as she looked over her sister for the first time since she helped in her kidnapping.

“You’re a traitor to me and to our cities,” Kellene said glaring at her sister, her feelings over taking her regal appearance as the tears began to stream down her face, the dirt washing away leaving a thin clean path down her cheeks.

“Your cities,” Ciaran said correcting her sister reminding Kellene of her powerful position in their old home.

“Stop conversing and do your duty Kellene,” Phorius interrupted stepping up to Kellene taking her shoulder in his large rough hands and pushing her towards the decaying bodies in the middle of the floor.

“Where did you get these?” Kellene asked looking over the bodies noticing they weren’t soldiers from her cities. They were common people mixed in age and as she looked over the latest victims she began to hate herself more for not finding a way to end this and the suffering of others.

“That doesn’t matter,” Phorius said pushing her closer to the bodies, “don’t waste my time any further if you know what is best for you.”

“Fine you pig,” Kellene said as she knelt down holding her breath to keep from smelling the decayed bodies inches from her. She closed her eyes, her body feeling the heat escaping her, a numbing cold raked through her as she whispered, “Lap Yolchi Nonci Panpir,” the spell that was taught to her as a young child.

The bodies began to convulse as a light formed around them, the bodies giving out a deadly shrill as their long dead hearts began beating again with a renewed strength. The spell didn’t weaken Kellene any and she was rushed out of the room before her influence could be felt. Phorius gave orders to the small group of new soldiers. The smell of decay still strong in the air, it would be a smell that couldn’t be rid of. The city formed on the back of these stolen souls and resembled the darkness of their midnight skin. Loose skin dangling, their bodies hairless, their garments ratty and travel worn from their bodies being mistreated during the journey. They were now his slaves, Kellene returning their strength of life to the victims of an evil ruler.

Kellene’s hidden ability did leave the ones she brought back to life with an insatiable need for things they desired. Food was scarce, crime in the cities high with Phorius’ army growing in numbers every day tried to fulfill the needs the side effect caused. Screams in the night could be heard, houses were broken into, and people went missing; his common people, the ones that inhabited the city being forgotten by Phorius as he began to plan for a battle that would lead him to power. Phorius dismissed his new soldiers to train in combat with his knights then he left the barracks to go see that Kellene is fed and returned to the safety of her cell so that she could perform the act again tomorrow.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

“Wake up you two,” Asher said as he stood over the couple still asleep against the tree. Soren had fallen asleep listening to Ketra’s breathing as it soothed him and took him away from the darkness of the forest. He didn’t know exactly the moment Ketra became so important to him, but he made a silent vow to protect her or die trying.

“We’re up,” Ketra said as she shrugged Soren’s arm off her shoulder as she stood. It was early morning, the foggy haze still clinging to the air. The dew still dampening the ground around them as they tried to wake up from a cold sleep hindering night. The five began trekking through the dense Cassile forest West to the Torach River. The river itself was too wide for a rope bridge or to swim. They would have to take a ferry boat across hoping their identities stay hidden from the person taking them across.

“We need to find some food,” Soren said as he looked over the small group to make sure all of them made it through the night free of harm.

“I’ll go hunting,” Asher said picking up his bow.

“I’ll go with you,” Erios said as he followed Asher out of the thicket under the tree they camped out in. They didn’t build a fire the fear of being spotted left them suffering to keep warm at night. The early spring nights were still cold with a threat of frost settling on the new sprouting grass.

Asher and Erios walked for a few minutes until the sight and sounds of their group wouldn’t disturb the wildlife around them. They hunkered down behind a shrub to listen and examine the surroundings. Not seeing any signs of the large prey animals that would’ve smelled them and left the forest area completely, they noticed small tracks hares would make as they foraged in the early morning sun.

“Do you think any of us will survive this?” Asher asked stalling the hunt for food. They both sat on a fallen tree that allowed the sun to peak through the hole in the canopy the fallen tree made.

“Yes,” Erios said, “you have to believe that to be brave enough to try.”

“We’re not meant to survive this,” Asher said, “I could tell when Orac examined us in the Keep.”

“We are his last hope before chaos,” Erios said examining Asher for any sign of weakness. He wouldn’t want to continue the mission with one of them feeling inadequate as that only leads towards failure. When he couldn’t see anything he smiled letting Asher know that right at this moment they were still alive, giving hope of success.

Asher watched Erios when he stood and started following the tracks of the hare, noticing a distinct track the hares made through the forest and noticing the tracks were fresh, he followed realizing Erios knew more about battles than he did himself. He knew why he was selected to be one of Orac’s secret warriors. He had been the most skilled in archery from the city. He didn’t know why the other four were along with him though. He would only see their attributes as their journey developed further.

“Erios,” Asher whispered as he squatted next to him their knees touching in the narrow path. The contact interrupted the hunt as Erios looked down at the contact feeling the warming effect two bodies touching made. It seemed like innocent contact between them both, but when their eyes met he wondered if it was something more intense than just that.

“Yes?” Erios said remembering that Asher said his name and was now expecting a response.

“Do you trust me?” Asher said wanting to make sure the group was solid.

“Yes,” Erios said, “with my life.” The contact was broken when Erios continued tracking the Hares and when they came to a small clearing they saw a group of them eating the small green sprouts and cleaning the fallen dew from their fur. Both of them carefully drew their bows using the forest to disguise their figures. With a quick nod shared between the two they stood taking aim at the hares. Releasing their arrows hearing the light hissing sound arrows made as they flew into the air and when two quick high pitched squeals sounded, the clearing was cleared with only two dead hares in the middle. The two shared instant gratification from their successful hunt as they retrieved and cleaned their arrows and picking up the hares taking them back to the group.

Reyer and Soren were tending a small fire when Asher and Erios returned and Ketra was sitting under the tree mending Reyer’s cloak, which had torn slighting at the sleeve. Asher had noticed that Ketra and Soren didn’t have any tension surrounding their interactions and it was now replaced with hidden looks and smiles. Thinking that affections and love was a silly thing he sat down and started preparing the rabbit for cooking.

“Ketra found some water,” Erios said as he sat down beside Asher holding up two leather containers with flasks. With Asher’s hands bloody, Erios held the flask up to Asher’s lips letting him drink some water. The group dynamics becoming smooth, they ate quickly and feeling energized, they cleaned up as much evidence as they could before leaving their thicket to continue walking west towards the Turach River. It wasn’t far from their thicket and when they found the Ferry across the mighty, but gently flowing river they hesitated and watched the man running the boat. It wasn’t free and when they all held out their currency they realized they didn’t have enough.

“We’ll have to take over the Ferry,” Ketra said as she tied her cloak around her.

“That’s a little barbaric,” Soren said smiling in her direction.

“We don’t have enough money, do you have a better idea?” Ketra asked as they all silently agreed to the plan trying to hide their appearance as best as possible before they waited for the man to turn his back dropping his guard.

“On my word, we go,” Soren said lowering his hand to his sheathed sword as the man turned his back searching his supplies for the fish oil to free the stiffness of the worn out pulley systems.

“We give him thanks afterwards,” Erios said, “whatever we can to make him forget us as common criminals.”

“Go!” Soren shrieked causing the man to drop his fish oil. There was a loud thud against the ground behind the group that Soren led and by the time they ambushed and took the man off his feet securing his flailing arms and muffling his screams, the four of them turned around to see Reyer struggling to keep his pants up to his waist.

“What did you do?” Asher asked as he blindfolded the man. Erios started pulling the ferry across the river, the pulleys screeching as it worked against the gentle flow of the river.

“I cut my pants when I took out my sword,” Reyer said as he dropped his pants completely, his long underwear muddy by the fall. He helped hold the man down who was older than them.

“Be quiet old man and we’ll pay you,” Soren said, “we’re not going to hurt you or bother you again. You’ll see us again during happier times and you will know us as heroes.”

“I’ll mend your pants, Reyer,” Ketra said as the Ferry gently came to a stop at the opposite side of the River. Erios collected all of the group’s money sticking it into a small cloth bag placing it into the hands of the man they took captive. Then at once they all let go and ran off into the small forest to conceal their identity. Crossing the small forest they kept up a quick pace, their next obstacle being the great plains where they couldn’t hide away at night. This is where their horses would’ve been invaluable, but now they were walking with their eyes darting across the flatness for any sign of habitation. The plains didn’t support people, only traveling nomads camped until supplies were thin. Only small tribes next to isolated lakes and springs hidden within the plains survived.

“We’re officially outside the unified cities’ protection,” Asher said as they took a break to catch their breath. Reyer was still holding his pants walking in his underwear trying to hide his embarrassment.

“I promise not to muck everything up in battle,” Reyer said, “this isn’t something I normally do.”

“It is fine Reyer,” Ketra said, “let me have your pants I’ll mend them as we walk.” They didn’t speak as in the plains voices carried even if most enemies would be spotted long before they reached them, they still felt naked and vulnerable. Not being in the safety of their cities was a new feeling they would have to get used to and nothing in their training could prepare them for that. It is only accomplished with time.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Narius made his way back to the throne room where Orac was waiting for his full report on the meeting between the representatives. Normally Orac would be present at the meetings taking note and making sure the representatives covered all the workings of the cities. The guards were between changing their guard so Narius knocked on the large wooden doors. The sound resonated through the wide block walks of the keep. He didn’t wait to be invited into the throne room. Orac had told him to come after the meetings were over.

“Sir,” Narius said as he stepped through the small crack of the doors. Orac was studying a map laid out on the table next to the book shelf.

“Yes, Narius,” Orac said, “the representatives complete their plans for the year?”

“To a point,” Narius said, “I wrote the report.” He held up the rolled scroll and when Orac held out his hand Narius placed it into his grasp. Orac just sat it aside and walked over to Kellene’s chair sitting.

“Grab a chair Narius,” Orac ordered, “I need to ask you a few things.”

“Right on it sir,” Narius said grabbing a chair and placing it across from Orac in the large room. The sun was bright, being midday, but the room was dim in contrast.

“What do you think has happened?” Orac said sitting straight up in the chair studying Narius. Narius had never been questioned like this before or entrusted to be in control of a meeting. All of these were Orac’s tasks.

“I believe Kellene and Ciaran are missing,” Narius said uneasily. “The representatives think them dead.”

“The cities will be in a power struggle if any proof of Kellene’s death arises,” Orac said, “I think Kellene is still alive, but it could all be my foolishness.”

“These are dark times, sir,” Narius said as he stood from his chair. Narius would normally be over seeing the dinner for Orac. His schedule changing made him uneasy, but the new trust he formed with Orac made him realize just how important he is to the cities now.

“There have been reports of massive attacks on the towns outside our protection,” Orac said, “traveling tradesmen have reported towns in ruin.”

“Do you think it is King Thaden in the north?” Narius asked curious to know more information about the attacks on the cities causing all the unrest.

“No, even if King Thaden is a beast, he wouldn’t hide his attacks or work in the shadows,” Orac said, “he’s also sent word of attacks on his own nomadic towns.”

“You’re not expecting those five warriors to accomplish anything are you?” Narius said still standing, but holding onto the back of the chair. Being kept in the dark for so long he wanted to know everything willing to be told.

“No,” Orac said, “they are my last attempt before I march into battle against our hidden enemies.”

“How long will you wait for word?” Narius asked silently hoping the young warriors succeed, even if no one expected it.

“I will wait until the cities demand word,” Orac said, “King Thaden is preparing for war and I will need to send you with word of my intentions to gather our own forces. Right now though, I’ll need to be left to that report.”

“As you wish,” Narius said as he picked up the heavy wooden chair taking it back to the large oak table. He left Orac to his thoughts and went to observe the cooking of dinner. Knowing the problems facing the city, he now realized all the tension in the Keep.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

“Look there,” Soren said gathering up the group and pointing in the direction of the orange setting sun. Everyone looked at the smoke rising just out of sight, lying behind small rolling hills of the yellow grassy plains.

“Do you think we should see what that is?” Reyer asked as he took his pants from Ketra trying them on to see if they stay with out falling back down.

“Yes,” Soren said, “we’re vulnerable here, and if we’ve been spotted we have to be the ones who attack.”

“It could just be a cooking fire started by tradesmen,” Ketra said as they turned towards the smoke, their only cover being the small rolling hills just in front of them. They could tell the smoke was further away, but they would stand out on the top of the hill being one of the highest places on the plains. The group laid down on the ground crawling up the hill, when they reached the top they scanned their surroundings.

“It’s a town,” Reyer said as they scanned the town. It had been burning, only the collapsing foundations of buildings were left standing. The town was settled next to a small body of water, one of the nomadic towns trying to settle new lands.

“We should investigate,” Ketra said as she sat up from her crouched position.

“We’re vulnerable here,” Soren said, “we can’t approach from this angle.”

“I don’t think anyone is left at this town,” Erios said, “I can smell the decay of men.” They stood drawing their swords placing their shields to their chests as they formed a small wall of protection and started in a determined pace until they crouched behind a small block wall. The only protection of the small town now in ruin and they waited for any signs of attack before Soren led them around the wall through the front entrance of the town. The smell of death was strong and burned their eyes. The heat around them from the fires could be felt on their exposed skin. It was the first time any of them saw a sight like this as they all separated a few steps examining things closer for any evidence that could help them understand what they saw.

“Where are the men?” Ketra asked as she examined the bodies in the narrow dirt streets. The streets were filled with slain women and children.

“They could’ve went on a hunting expedition,” Erios said as he stepped over a body of an old woman to look inside a building that was still standing.

“Look here,” Reyer said causing everyone to appear at his side, “something has been dragged here.”

“By horses,” Asher said as they saw more signs, the small wall had been crushed to allow a larger exiting point on the far side heading west. “The men’s bodies have been taken out of the town, we should follow these tracks.”

“The sickness of all this,” Ketra said kicking the dirt under her feet into the air as she put her sword away and strapped her shield back to it’s strap laying across her back. They didn’t have any reason to stick around and wonder what happened in this town. They didn’t know who was behind it, but the tracks left by the murderers would lead them to the place.

“Kellene comes first,” Soren said, “this town was outside the protection of the cities.”

“Can’t you see Soren,” Ketra said, “the ones that did this here are the same sneaky bastards that kidnapped her.”

“How do you know that?” Soren asked, “I know you want to seek justification, but we must stay on task, we can always come back.”

“We don’t know where we’re going,” Ketra argued, “we don’t know who we’re fighting or even if Kellene is still alive and worth rescuing.”

“The tracks do head west Soren,” Reyer said, “in the same direction we’ve been traveling.”

“Do all of you want to pursue these people?” Soren asked and when they all nodded their head in agreement Soren sighed and started examining the tracks for a better direction. “They have horses, we’re already at a disadvantage.” They walked out the path made by the people they were now hunting. The tracks weren’t fresh and when they ran out of light they left the track completely. Seeking some cover in the open plains, they didn’t get sleep in the night. The slaughtered town made them uneasy and they all silently doubted their own abilities and decisions made so far on this trip.

The next morning Asher and Erios wearily started their hunting expedition to find food. They didn’t expect to find much out here on the plains and their prey would see them with plenty of time to hide in the holes dotted along the plains.

“I will miss you if we are separated,” Asher said as they distanced themselves from the rest of the group.

“What do you mean separated?” Erios said grabbing Asher by the arm stopping him.

“If I leave you in this life for the next or you leave me I’ll miss you,” Asher said whispering, not feeling as confident about his feelings as he did through the long night thinking about Erios. First meeting in the Keep Erios left a strong impression on him. He made a silent promise to himself to see Erios through the entire mission protecting him if he needed to.

“I’ll miss you too, Asher,” Erios whispered as they both scanned the flat ground for any sign of movement. When they didn’t see anything they returned to the group their hands empty.

“There’s nothing out this morning,” Asher said shrugging defeated.

“We’ll find something along the way,” Reyer said as they started following the evidence left behind by the people who attacked the town. The smell of the decaying town was still in the wind that was blowing behind them. The soggy grass of the plains, dead from the winter laid against the ground and the sky above them was cloudy, the sun unable to break through. The muddy tracks were easy to follow, the plains weren’t meant to be traveled so there weren’t any distinct roads.

“Look,” Soren said as he pointed to the sky, circling vultures over another small town the path followed.

“What is attacking these small towns so easily?” Reyer asked, as the tracks were the same at both towns. No one offered him an answer not wanting to imagine the forces behind it all. Again only the bodies of the men in the town were missing. The second nomadic town made the small group more urgent to find the attackers. The desire to get out of the openness of the plains made them speed up their pace only taking short rests.

“It’s going to be dark soon,” Soren said as they stopped for a quick break to drink. The group turned their backs to each other to watch for signs of an ambush in all directions.

“I think we need to keep moving,” Erios said, “to get off these plains.”

“We’ll lose the tracks,” Ketra said as she handed her leather water pouch to Soren to take his turn drinking.

“They’ll be heading to the mountains,” Erios said, “we’ll need the cover of darkness to approach the mountains to continue our searching anyway.” There was a silent agreement in the change in plans when everyone put their water away and started walking. They abandoned the tracks that were curving through the plains and took on a straight path. The mountains were visible, but still far out of reach. Their muscles were aching and their hunger was growing more intense. Their boots were beginning to wear, blistering their feet, but they kept up their pace, scared of being ambushed in the open by the beings they were pursuing. The group didn’t talk after night fall, keeping a hand on their swords, their hearts racing. Their youthful imaginations running wild with them as their eyes darted in the darkness for something they thought they saw moving. Every few steps one of them would stop walking and draw their swords causing the others to do the same and look around squinting their eyes trying to see. Their track was slow with them stumbling over burrows left by prairie animals. Owls and bats could be heard flying over head as they tried to outwit one another in this deadly dance. The howls of wolves and the bugling of elk could be heard in the night at well. It overloaded their senses causing the small group to run on blinded adrenalin.

“Try to think of something that makes you happy,” Soren whispered leaning into Ketra when she tensed up and gripped his hand tight. “That will get you through the night.” When Erios stopped suddenly, the hard breathing of the group could be heard as they all waited.

“Do you hear the sound of horses galloping?” Erios asked as the group formed a small circle with their shields and swords drawn.

“Yes,” Ketra said and when a horse snorted in the distance Reyer kneeled resting his head on the damp ground.

“They’re heading this way, from the east,” Reyer said as he stood. He grabbed an arrow and started wrapping the head with cloth then he dipped it in oil the group used to start fires then with two rocks he sparked a small flame. The others gave him space and he drew his bow and when he shot the arrow into the air and when it landed the fire kept burning. “Does everyone see where it landed?”

“Yes,” Soren answered, “but you just gave away our position.”

“They already know where we are,” Reyer said, “we’ll be in range for their arrows when they get to that spot.”

“Should we retreat?” Ketra asked sheathing her sword and grabbing her bow. Reyer was already lighting another cloth covered arrow and when he shot it the glowing eyes of the horses could be seen before the arrow hit the ground, the flame momentarily keeping their enemies at a distance.

“We can’t,” Erios said, “ready your bows.” When the group all had their bows drawn, they waited for the riders to start moving toward them again. When they did they released the tension in their bows and heard the whistling the arrows made. When the screeching of horses could be heard and clashing of metal when their arrows came into contact with their targets they readied and fired again.

“Ok,” Soren said, “waste no more arrows, Reyer see if they’re still coming.”

“I’m on it,” Reyer said as he knelt, putting his head against the ground. When he heard the sound of horses galloping towards them he stood and drew his sword.

“They’re still determined in reaching us,” he said sounding out of breath as he tried to suppress his fears. The clouds were beginning to break, but the darkness of a moonless night still hindered their senses. The snorting and heavy breathing of winded horses could be heard now and the thundering hooves vibrated under the feet of the small group meaning their attackers were closing in and when a rider broke through the group surprising them the young warriors separated becoming disoriented. Reyer poured the oil on the ground then with the sparking of a rock against his sword the ground ignited illuminating the battleground and the small group finally got a look at their adversaries. With their cover blown the horsemen surrounded the group and the standoff started.

Ketra quickly grabbed her bow and aimed for the unprotected horse the rider ahead of her was riding and fired, striking the horse in the chest sending it rearing into the air before falling hard against the ground. It caused the other riders to attack just as the oil burned completely leaving them in darkness once again. Reyer felt a heavy thud against his shield then swung out in the direction it came, with a sparking clash against metal he readied his shield for another strike.

When the clouds broke, the armor of their enemies gleamed in the darkness finally giving them a chance. Their enemies were wearing a light armor, used for traveling instead of battle. The smell of decay that matched in intensity of the small towns filled the air again. Reyer slammed his shield into the rider he was fighting, knocking him off his horse. Then without thinking he leapt onto the man who was struggling to his feet. Grabbing a dagger, Reyer jammed it in between the rider’s chest armor and helmet. Hearing an inhuman scream he returned to his feet. A few feet from him Ketra swung her sword slashing the feet out from under the feet of another and when it let out a similar scream the small group of riders lost their bravery and started retreating. Asher and Erios drew their bows, with the gleaming armor of the retreating riders giving them a clean shot they fired and when the last two fell off their horses the small group stood and listened, their breathing heavy, their chests heaving, and their bodies sore and sweating. When morning was breaking over the mountains they started to examine their attackers.

“They aren’t completely human are they?” Reyer asked, “they didn’t die like men, more like animals.”

“They are men,” Soren said, “it just looks like they’ve been dead for weeks, not hours.”

“They’ve been brought back to life then?” Asher asked as he examined the armor.

“It seems that way,” Soren said, “even if the thought is insane.”

“Yes,” Ketra said, “but at least we have horses now.” The small group turned to see what was left of the horses that didn’t move away from their master’s bodies in the night.

“What have we agreed to do?” Reyer asked still looking over the bodies laying at his feet. He had proved himself to the other four. They hadn’t doubting his fighting abilities, but he felt better about himself. It didn’t do anything about the fear fighting to take over his body though.

“We won’t survive this,” Ketra said, “we were lucky to survive last night.” She was looking over Soren who had a gash in his arm just above his elbow. She tore the sleeve of her cloak and wrapped it tightly around his arm to stop the blood.

“I’ll be fine Ketra,” Soren said as he took off his cloak. “We all need to get our armor on, it was foolish not to have it on.” They all removed their cloaks and Ketra hid behind the horse that she claimed and stripped from her traveling dress into her battle armor with the scarlet crest. They no longer hid who they were as they readied their supplies.

“We have time to hunt,” Asher said as he put his shield over his back. The bright sun took away their weariness even if the lack of sleep and nourishment is prevalent on their faces. Erios followed Asher away from the battle scene until they were away from the group.

“We’re not going to find anything out here,” Erios said as he caught up to walk beside Asher.

“I know,” Asher said, “we have to try though.”

“Are you scared?” Erios asked as they stopped walking and looked back at the other three.

“No, I’m not scared,” Asher said, “are you?”

“No,” Erios said turning away from the group to face Asher. There was a strong breeze blowing through the plains. The brown grass, rotting from the winter was slowly being replaced with the green grass of spring. Wildflowers would be sprouting and blooming to give the plains a peaceful mosaic of colors.

“I like this time of year,” Asher said breaking the silence between the two. “When the grass is green and everything is new again.”

“I do too,” Erios said, “we’ll be able to see all this on our way back home.”

“It’s worth fighting for isn’t it Erios,” Asher said as he looked down and brushed his fingers across the back of Erios’ hand.

“Yes, it is,” Erios said looking down, his heart fluttering with excitement at the touch. They turned around to see the others ready to start the slow climb up the mountains and walked back to them ready to take on what happens next.

 

Discuss This Story

©Krista 2007
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..