Jump to content
    Libby Drew
  • Author
  • 661 Words
  • 971 Views
  • 1 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Modern Writer as Performance Artist - 1. Chapter 1

The Modern Writer as Performance Artist
 
 
It’s been said (by whom, I’ve yet to ascertain, but it’s a cool quote so I’m using it) the Internet is a mixed bag of enlightenment and oppression. Well however it revolutionized society, it certainly changed the writing community. In fact, “community” may be an optimistic term if we’re referring to the thousands of people who a handful of years ago were penning stories in their spare time, alone at their kitchen tables (in their jammies, let’s not sugarcoat it), without a chance in hell of having anyone read their masterpieces.

There’s no lack of people to read those stories now, or places for authors to share them. Just ask Google—it knows all. (Except who said “The Internet is a mixed bag of enlightenment and oppression.”)

Right. So the industry gurus claim the Internet has ushered in a new era of whimsical genres and that cyberspace will never be a place for serious fiction—whatever that means. Although I suspect it implies many of the communities once considered “niche” and “small” and, by association, “insignificant”, have gained enough ground and popularity to make those entrenched in the status quo squirm over their three-martini lunches. Which... good. It’s about time. But I personally don’t believe that what we’re writing has changed, only how we share it. The Internet hasn’t created new fascinations, only exposed them. (I totally typed that last sentence with a straight face.)

It’s in the review and critique process that everything has changed. Today we can write a poem, an essay, a story, or a chapter of a novel, post it, wait for a very short time—sometimes minutes—and get a response. Instant feedback. Instant gratification.

This is the phenomenon that is changing how we write—and think about writing. We are, more than ever before, performance artists. We are creating something less solitary than traditional fiction. The Internet hasn’t just shrunk the distance between writer and reader; it’s annihilated it. And lack of distance is what defines performance art: the artist and audience enmeshed in something complex and multilayered. Here’s an example from performance artist Helge Meyer I thought strongly analogous to online writing in this day and age:

“I invited the audience to exchange cloth with me, piece by piece. I brought cloth with me that had a deep personal relationship to my life, and I told each story of that piece, one after another, to the audience. In exchange for one of my belongings, they offered me a piece of their cloth and the story of their relationship with that piece.”

Lots of us write serials and update in regular time intervals, giving readers the opportunity to discuss the story with us as it’s being forged. This leads to a fair bit of interactive creating—changes to the original plan based on feedback. Not always. Some of us never deviate from our outlines and ideas. No one way is best, it’s all about creating. Some stories live close to our hearts, others we’re more willing to bend and twist. Regardless, the reader is always there, at times quite verbal and opinionated, a part of the process.

It’s a social revolution, not a technological one. (Okay, maybe it is a little, but ignore that for a moment. I’m trying to make a point.) Neither it is a moral revolution, because let’s face it, morals have stayed mostly static. Rather it’s a revolution in means, a way to carry shared life experiences the next step up the ladder, into fiction. For entertainment, for guidance, for advice, and for emotional connections that in the past were rare or nonexistent.

The word “writer” has never implied so much before. Nor have we ever inferred so much from the idea. To say the Internet has changed publishing only scratches the tip of the iceberg. Storytelling itself has evolved. Hate it or celebrate it, there’s no going back.

 
 
Copyright © 2012 Libby Drew; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Dear Libby,
I'm not convinced that the internet has changed things as much as you say. Dickens wrote most of his stories to be published a chapter at a time in weekly or monthly magazines. I would be surprised if he didn't have some readers who told him how they liked it as he went along. I suppose he had to be very confident - but there are still a few people like that about.
I think what has changed is the range of subjects that can be covered, the freedom with which they can be treated and the size of audience needed. GA can post stories that get a readership of anything from one up. But serious, yes! and lighthearted and frivolous and heavy too and not a little madness.
Helga Meyer brough cloth with her to give away and knew what she intended to do but her audience would have had to be unusually well briefed and given time to prepare their response and maybe that would deter many.
All human knowledge is expressed in words and symbols and the process of stringing them together to convey an idea is the same as it has always been. I think more people are doing more writing than ever before and I'm fascinated to see whether the effect is an improvement in the standard. I find a lot shows symptoms of sloppy thought but then a lot always has. How often have you heard of someone making plans for the future (as if they could be for the past)!
But you don't have a proof-reader or editor so you forego the early feedback they could give you. I don't think the serial format helps much because unless the author rewrites things what was wrong doesn't get corrected and what could be improved remains potentially better. I can't read serials because I'm so old that I forget what happened last episode and have to read it again. And I've frequently found the episodes appear very irregularly.
Thank you for letting me see you thoughts. Have you anything to add?
Love,
Anthony

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..