Jump to content
    PlugInMatty
  • Author
  • 598 Words
  • 904 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Shot of Clarity - 1. Prologue

I considered leaving this as a stand-alone piece, but there's a much bigger story that needs to be told. Hope you enjoy the ride.

It’s not supposed to end like this.

There's supposed to be flowers, pretty dresses, pretty girls, sparkling rainbows, sweet sweet chocolates, glorious sunshine…

Instead, there’s black.

Endless, depressing black.

Black.

Behind him is a wall, glowing white. Scrawled across it is graffiti, permanent ink. He'd squint and look closer, but the words are barely legible, the product of a stoner in between bong hits.

This boy's not a stoner, though.

He avoids drugs like the plague.

Cutting his eyes to the left, he sees a porcelain bowl; sparkling white. Beside it stretches a handrail; glittering silver. And if he ever looks up, he'll see a eggshell ceiling...

He doesn't look up, though.

He looks straight ahead.

All he sees is black.

Black.

The surroundings are white and his hair is black.

Shocking, startling, frightening. Black. It's the first thing you're going to notice. There's a vast white sea, a bright-lit oblivion, and then there is pitch black. Head-turning black. Impossible-not-to-notice. Black.

His parents didn't notice, though.

He'd bought the home kit thirty-seven days ago, and they still hadn't bothered to notice. There were his two older brothers to fawn over, his one younger sister to adore. He was their third-eldest child, the only fair-haired one in the bunch... and they STILL hadn't taken any fucking notice.

His classmates had noticed, though.

What are you doing, you stupid fag?

Making a statement, Captain Emo?

Want a black eye to match, cocksucker?

White.

Now all he sees is white.

His hair is black, and his knuckles are white. His face is whiter again, but his eyes are still black. Black and blue and yellowing in parts, but still...

Black.

His pillowcase is red.

It sits atop his bed in the basement, providing support as he lies awake at the midnight hour. Tossing, turning, stressing; he's barely slept a wink in weeks. His mind never rests. He’ll soon be finding his rest, though.

In Peace.

Catching sight of a porcelain bowl, he sees a flash of his toilet at home. The sparkling bowl down which he flushes his pills. A swirling tide, a hidden secret.

Take your happy pills, he's occasionally reminded. Take your happy pills and be happy.

He hasn't tasted happiness in months.

The counselling hasn't worked, either. He'd been signed up seven days after coming out of the closet, but all he'd talked about in the past three weeks was the bitter weather and the way some ink blotches look like butterflies.

Such pretty things, butterflies.

Pink wings. Yellow wings. Blue wings…

Black.

A black coat, a white hand, a flash of silver...

Black.

Another flash of silver.

Black.

A flash of shiny, metallic silver.

It's like his own metallic safety blanket, kept hidden safely inside his blood-red pillowcase.

The safety switch is black.

He keeps it switched on, twenty-four seven. He tucks it deep inside his pillowcase, away from anybody’s reach, engaging the safety switch and keeping everybody safe.

Happy, even.

But not anymore.

Taking a deep breath and flashing a white-toothed smile, he feels the weight in his palm and lifts his gaze to look in the mirror.

Black.

Dropping the gaze to his palm again, he sees a shaft of silver light.

Silver.

It’s the colour of second place, the colour of second-best. The reward for the first of the losers.

He's not a loser anymore, though.

And with a single fluid movement, he decides he’s going to prove it. Taking the gun in both hands, he switches the safety mechanism to 'off', and begins to contemplate his next move.

Now nobody's safe.

Intrigued?

Website: pluginmatty.blogspot.com
Discussion thread: http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/27697-a-shot-of-clarity-by-pluginmatty/
Email: pluginmatty@gmail.com.

Copyright © 2010 PlugInMatty; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Intrigued is an understatement. Captivated. Mesmerized. That was a brilliant and beautiful prologue. I don't know if there's more as this was posted ages ago, but I truly hope so. My good God, but that was utterly brilliant!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..