Jump to content
    Revel
  • Author
  • 344 Words
  • 1,116 Views
  • 2 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A series of shorts in the history of my life and family - 1. The Fall of Rumpleberry

Sir the Honourable Lord Rumpleberry slid out of Melody's arms for the 7th time this night. His impact with the cold cement floor was met with a cry most unbefitting his station.

"AaaaAAAAHH!!" Came the shrill scream, as his body lay akimbo upon the floor, his hair wind-beaten atop his dramatically tilted head.

"Bryan, could you please help your sister?" Asked The Woman, "My hands are rather full right now."

And they rather were, too. Rather. Stacked to extraodinary and unnecessary heights in her arms was a wobbling heap of cutlery and plates, dancing about her arms in a desperately jangling bid for freedom. The woman looked to all the world like she might at any moment burst into a sudden rhyming rant on the merits of entertainment vs. responsibility. Unfortunately, rather than a timely psychotic break, she waited patiently at Bryan.

Bryan looked back with indifference.

Rumpleberry continued to cry out, helpless.

The plates wobbled.

"It's too late for that," Bryan smirked, his aura of indifference suddenly replaced with predatory purpose. Time seemed to slow in this moment. Melody's eyes focused on him intently. The Woman, piecing together the conversation with her typical two second delay, cought up, opened her mouth to counter the oncoming cruelty. Bryan's lips stretched up and across her lower face 'till completely taut; confident, callous, hungry. Rumpleberry's screams had by this point turned to whimpers. The plates wobbled.

"Rumpleberry is dead."

And the surety of these words seemed to lend themselves to the warping of reality, for no sooner than they were spoken than suddenly they were true. Rumpleberry ceased all cries for assistance, seemingly content to lay broken and alone on the uneven ground. He no longer shined with benevolent brilliance: that last true gentlemen in a world of ogres. He would never again hold tea with her, or listen sympathetically about the cruelty of school aged children. He was no longer Rumpleberry, he was just Rumpleberry's body.

My sister still has the doll, but he never spoke to her again after his tragic and early death. To this day, I doubt she's forgiven my brother for what she insists was 'depraved-heart murder'.
Copyright © 2013 Revel; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A fascinating piece - child's play in all its deadly earnest recalled to life again. Fascinating 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..