Jump to content
    Sasha Distan
  • Author
  • 347 Words
  • 1,278 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fear of Flying - 1. Chapter 1

Four white ghosts fly out of the moon, their milky whiteness flowing like cream. Two black gulls follow them down, a curve like an arc of perfect sex as they swoop from a sky tinted from indigo to cerulean towards the hare.

I am the hare, just for a moment, alone and petrified, the weight of millions of years of being hunted. I cannot breathe, cannot think as I stare at the sky in abject horror.

Perspective shifts, the scene changes. The hare turns to look at the sky, and the birds wheeling so graceful in the inky sky, his eyes reflecting the moon so white. He cannot fly. The spiralling movement of the birds scares him, their grace and mastery over the air. The hare runs.

Watching the picture I feel strange. The whiteness of the rabbits whiskers in the black make my heart itch. The colours make my head spin, the dizziness of vertigo as I stand in my living room, a sensation that almost knocked me off my feet when I first saw this picture. I remember being cold and wet, badly dressed for the rocky English weather, and then there it was, pulling my sense of self away from my body and engulfing my mind until I wasn’t sure where I was standing. It only took a moment.

My chest feels hollow when I stare into the eyes of the rabbit, as though somehow he has stolen my heart, pulled away all my courage so that he can face his fear of moving in the sky. The birds are somehow malicious, they are hunting him. They are wrong. The rabbit is a god in disguise, or he is Kyome made flesh, the spirit of a man trapped in the body of prey.

Maybe the birds are protecting him, and they have all turned to see the feature they fear who is out of view of the picture. The big bad wolf come to hunt his pound of flesh.

I cannot help feel that sometimes the creature that they fear is me.

Copyright © 2013 Sasha Distan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..