Jump to content
    shortmix
  • Author
  • 2,539 Words
  • 797 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Dark - 3. Chapter 3

Eric grimaced. That story had been rather grotesque. It hadn’t even been that scary, just full of blood and guts. A little too much for his taste. There was a fine line between horror and plain gore, and this one was pushing the edge.

“What’s the matter?” Eric heard Danny whisper.

“Nothing, it’s just that one wasn’t really scary and it was too short too.” Eric flipped the pages hoping Danny wouldn’t be turned off and decide to leave. Despite his worries he felt him cozy his body up against his own.

“I do like the part with all the blood.” Danny giggled, “And the part where you find out that they eat that man. It’s a nice surprise, isn’t it? Eric smiled, relieved that Danny was actually getting into it. Horror had always been a favorite for both of them so maybe he was just over-reacting, worrying about things he usually wouldn’t. Love could get you to do some crazy things. “I guess you’re right. Yeah, it was a nice twist at the end.” said Eric.

“Oh, do read another one please.” Danny begged and Eric felt him grasp his arm all the tighter. He shined his flashlight down at his watch. “My dad will be on his way home. I wouldn’t want to get caught.” Eric said.

“Pleeease!” Eric could feel Danny snuggle up even closer and rest his head right up against his. Danny’s voice whispered ever so softly into his ear. “Just one more.” “Oh, alright” blushed Eric, “I hope this one’s a good one.”

Eric flipped the pages until he found the beginning of another story. He didn’t really know what to expect with this book anymore, but his plan was definitely working and he wasn’t about to stop now. Not when Danny was practically climbing all over him, begging for more. Eric blushed even harder at that thought before clearing his throat. In a grave tone he read the next story.

 

The Watcher

 

Entry #1

I’ve noticed him since I was a young girl. Even when my family moved to a different state, even when I left for college and moved into the campus dorms, still he seemed to follow me wherever I went. When I first saw him I think I was about seven years old. I woke up one night in a cold sweat and as soon as I opened my eyes, there he was, this tall, dark shadow standing at the foot of my bed. I was so frightened I nearly pissed my sheets. He didn’t move, didn’t speak, he just watched. He just stared at me with these pale, white eyes that glow almost like how a cat’s does. All he ever does is stare, unblinking. I’ve tried to talk to him, tried to reason with him, ask him why he’s always stalking me. He never answers. When I scream and my parents burst into the room, he vanishes. I even threw a pillow at him once and it just went right through him. No matter what I did, or what I said, he would always stand there, watching, every single night. Sometimes it was almost comforting in a messed up, macabre sort of way, always having someone there by your side looking over you. That, of course, was only in the beginning. When I grew older, he started appearing during the day.

Now I often catch a glimpse of him in the shadows of trees, in alleys, under the street signs. He never seems to go away now. I mean, I’ve learned not to be afraid anymore, all he does, all he’ll ever do is watch. Now though, it’s becoming creepier and creepier. Just recently in class it’s become worse. I-I felt him. I felt him standing right behind me the entire lecture. Usually he only waits outside for me to get out, but now he’s becoming brasher. The only time I ever have alone anymore is in the bathroom, where I am now writing this memoir. I know he’s probably standing right outside, staring at the door with those round, lidless eyes. Don’t think I haven’t tried to elude him by jumping out the bathroom window or slipping out the back when he isn’t watching. That-that thing always knows where I am. He will always find me.

I really don’t know why I’m writing all of this. I think I just need to get my thoughts down. It’s not like I can tell anyone. No one else can see him, just me and so I’ve learned to isolate myself from people. Everyone else would think I was crazy anyhow. I fear this situation is growing worse exponentially and I don’t know how far this thing is going to go. Thus I’ve decided that tomorrow I’m going to try something. For the first time in my life I’m going to do something about this thing-this Watcher. There’s a psychic across town who I’ve heard is legitimate. I’m going to see what she can tell me about The Watcher. Wish me luck.

 

Entry #2

Okay, so that did not go well at all. The Watcher didn’t follow me into the psychic lady’s house, maybe it sensed that she was mystical or something. She was an elderly woman, pretty over-dressed for the part if you asked me. Like somebody’s bad Halloween costume. Anyway, she sits me down, reads my palm, and all of the regular junk. Then she takes my hand and looks me in the eyes and says “My dear, sweet child, is something the matter?” She was smiling so sweetly until I told her the truth. Then she just stared at me like she was in shock or something. She threw my hand back and she runs into the back room and brings back this dirty old book. It looked like it was written in some weird language I couldn’t read but she starts flipping through pages like crazy until she stops on one and turns it to me.

It was him. For the love of God, it was The Watcher. There was a drawing of him in the book and he looked exactly like-I can’t even describe how freaked out I was, I almost ran out right then and there. I tried to read more but I couldn’t understand that writing and she pulled the book back. She was mumbling something under her breath but then when I asked her to tell me what was going on she just asked me how old I was. I’m 20 years old, why does it matter? She didn’t answer me. She didn’t even tell me what was going on or what The Watcher was. The lady just hustled me out and before she slammed the door she looks at me really sorrowful and says, “My dear, I’m so sorry.” I mean, what was that? What the heck is The Watcher? I’m seriously beginning to get worried now. The Watcher never leaves me alone, even for a second, only in the bathroom am I still safe. After everything that happened he’s so much more menacing now, that I’m starting to fear him again.

Ugh! What am I saying? Maybe I’m just overreacting. I mean, all these years and he’s never hurt me, he’s never done anything at all. There’s no reason why he would change now, right? Right?

 

Entry #3

Nothing really important happened today. He’s still there, as usual. What that lady said is still kind of racking my brains though, but maybe she’s just a crazy old woman. Yeah, that’s it. On that point, maybe I’m just crazy too. I’ve never seen a doctor about this stuff so maybe it’s all in my head. Oh my God, maybe I have schizophrenia! Man, that would suck. At least they’d be able to give me meds for it. Then maybe The Watcher will go away. Yup, I just have to keep telling myself that The Watcher is all in my head. He’s just some weird figure of my imagination, some manifestation of my broken psyche. Maybe I’ll make an appointment after my birthday, which I am so very excited for. I think it’ll just be nice having familiar faces around me. I haven’t seen my parents in a few months and it’ll be so great catching up with them. They’ll help me just forget about this whole Watcher thing, I know it.

In the meantime I have to learn how to deal with it-with him. He makes it a very unnerving habit, looming over me nowadays. It makes my skin crawl just knowing that he’s so close all the freaking time. Hopefully meds will help. God, all I need is some space, some air to breathe that doesn’t have to pass through his shadow. I feel like I’m suffocating sometimes. I just have to keep telling myself that it’ll all pass. All of this will be over soon enough.

 

Entry #4

I can’t believe it. My parents aren’t coming down here for my birthday. How could they do this to me? They kept making all these excuses as to why they couldn’t show up and none of them even made sense. Why wouldn’t they want to see their only child on her 21st birthday? This is a pretty special time for me, I mean, I feel like I’m passing some sort of milestone or something and now I have to do it all alone. Well, not really alone, right? I don’t think he’ll ever leave me but The Watcher is hardly good company. It was weird how in the beginning my parents were so happy to hear from me, telling me how much I was missed, and all that jazz and yet, as soon as I asked them about my birthday they-they got really quiet. Something was bothering them but no matter how much I asked about it they would just change the subject or dismiss me. What were they hiding? Why did they try so hard to keep from seeing me? They’re my parents aren’t they? Don’t they love me?

I don’t know, maybe I’m just over-reacting. There’s no way they’d blow me off without good reason, I’m sure of it. I guess I just can’t believe that they sort of abandoned me this year. I don’t really have friends that’ll help me celebrate and so I guess the only one who’s going to be with me on my special day is Mr. Watcher. Wonderful. I’ll remember to invite him to the party when I get out of this bathroom.

The bathroom. It’s strange now that I think of it. Why would he possibly care about privacy in the bathroom when he certainly doesn’t care about it during other vulnerable moments? For God’s sake he watches me sleep at night. Whatever. All I know is that it does feel really good to finally be proactive about The Watcher. I'm finally doing something about it and it all started with these journal entries. Thank you, journal. You are ever my faithful companion.

 

Entry #5

Why did I have to do it? It never crossed my mind before to look him up but I just did on my phone in the bathroom and oh my God! There’s this-this forum I found talking about ghosts and-God, a few people, they have the same story as me! There’s more than one Watcher! All of us started seeing him as kids, all of us, and now they say he’s getting worse for them too! I mean, how is this possible? I thought it was just me! I thought it was just in my head! Now they’re saying there’s some sort of-of connection between us all and this is just a part of something bigger? One of them read part of some old legend that says The Watchers wait until their-their children mature and then-and then what? Nobody knows! She couldn’t find the end of the myth so it could be anything! The Watchers could just be letting us ripen before they slaughter us in our sleep. I mean, it’s sitting there now, outside the door waiting like a freaking cook waits for the turkey in an oven! I’m the freaking turkey! I’m scared now, I’m genuinely scared. The worst thing is I’m not alone in this. It’s not just in my head, oh God it’s real! I don’t know what to do. I don’t know. The other’s, they haven’t gotten rid of him either. We’re all just freaking out right now. God, please, please, please help me! I don’t know what to do.

 

Entry #6

Okay, okay this is weird, The Watcher backed off. I mean, he’s still there, of course, but something’s off. Something’s different. I don’t know why, or what happened but I’m-I’m just relieved. It’s like this weight has been lifted and my life, everything can start going back to normal again. I smiled today. I laughed and I had a coffee. I lived for an entire day. For the first time this entire month I didn’t feel hounded. He’s still watching me, I can feel him standing there in the shadows but things are different. Instead of hovering right behind me, he’s off in the distance again. When I go inside he stays out, watching from the window. Now, having some dark spirit peer at you through the window may not seem like much of an improvement, but believe me, it’s much better than having him stare you straight in the face only inches away.

I’m actually happy for once as I write this, still in the bathroom because you can never be too sure. I can’t believe I’m saying this but things are finally looking up. The Watcher has backed off and my birthday is tomorrow. Who knows? Maybe my parents will surprise me and show up after all. Maybe I’ll go get coffee and meet someone special. Maybe The Watcher will disappear altogether. I doubt it, but a girl can hope can’t she? Maybe that’s what he waits for. His kind finds children to torture for years and years until they finally grow up enough to get rid of them. Maybe, just maybe my nightmare can be over.

 

Entry #7

He’s here, God he’s here! He tried to get me! He reached out and there were long, black fingers and-God, please! I’m trapped in the bathroom, I’m screaming but no one is coming. I woke up and it was there, it was just standing like always until the clock hit midnight and it freaking-it laughed! I never heard anything so evil! Then the fingers and-oh God it tore at me but I got away. I’m scared, dear God please help me, I’m so scared! It’s pounding on the door now. I’m going to die. This is it. If someone is reading this, tell my Mom and Dad I love them. He’s coming. He broke a hole through the door and I see him, his eyes. Oh God, his eyes, he’s-

Copyright © 2015 shortmix; All Rights Reserved.
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..