Jump to content
    Sifrid
  • Author
  • 1,291 Words
  • 1,434 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Swan of Tuonela - 7. Offertorium

On a bright Sunday morning, three weeks later, Phillip drove down the street toward the local Metropolitan Community Church. He was surprised at having to park out on the street. Normally when the band rehearsed there, there was no problem finding a parking place. But this morning the lots was completely filled. But then he knew that the church was quite an institution in the city. Who would have guessed that in Dallas, the buckle of the Bible Belt, was the largest gay church in the world?

Phillip parked and walked up to the door where a man and woman greeted him as he walked in. The man handed him a bulletin and the woman informed him of the coffee and donuts available on the table over against the wall. Phillip thanked them, walked through the narthex (do they have narthexes in MCCs, Phillip wondered) and into the sanctuary. He took a seat in the back.

While waiting for the service to begin, he looked over the bulletin. Phillip wasn’t certain about any other MCCs, but he knew the Dallas church was quite a bit more evangelical than the Episcopal services he was used to. But as he looked over the service order, he saw much that he found familiar. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad after all, he thought. He sat quietly waiting for the service to start and looking over the bulletin notes. He listened to the prelude and was impressed by the organist’s skill. Eventually, the organist began a hymn which Phillip didn’t know. He was surprised to see Cheryl step on the podium until he remembered that she conducted the church orchestra as well as the band. As the organist and the orchestra took up the hymn, the officiants and choir processed down the aisle.

The service continued much like a regular Eucharist that Phillip was familiar with. After the readings and a few more hymns, the service continued with the sermon. Phillip didn’t follow the it much. He kept wondering when Mark would sing. He looked up into the choir and could see Mark listening intently. He wondered if Mark would look over at him. He wondered if Mark knew where he was sitting. He wondered if Mark knew he was even there.

When the time came for the anthem, Phillip looked at the bulletin and saw that Mark’s name was not listed. The soloist was some tenor singing a song by Sandi Patty. He had heard other band members who were MCC members mention her before, but he had never heard any of her music. He sat back into the chair and listened. It was a good, upbeat song, very “contemporary Christian.” Phillip squirmed, but in spite of himself got drawn into the song, even if he had been a little shocked when the electric guitar entered. But the tenor did a wonderful job. Probably one the singers in the local gay men’s chorus, Phillip thought.

He followed along in the bulletin as the pastor and assistants prepared for communion. There were times when he almost started mouthing words to the familiar prayers he remembered from years ago. As people started approaching for communion, Phillip sat back and listened to the choir and the organist. He heard yet another hymn he didn’t recognize, but as the crowd moved in lines down the aisle, he got a better view of Mark, singing seriously. Mark was a serious person generally, but Phillip didn’t think he’d ever seen him so intent.

The first communion hymn ended, and the organist started transitioning into the next. As he mixed the old hymn into the new, he alternated phrases from each, gradually playing more and more of the new melody. Phillip listened and then focused as he thought he heard a familiar series of chords. As the organist finally locked into the new hymn, Phillip was sure he was familiar with it. He couldn’t remember the words, but the chord sequence was unmistakable. He ran his mind through all the composers he knew of, trying to identify who had written it. Vaughn-Williams he finally decided. That’s why he liked it so much. As the song started, Phillip looked at Mark and saw him take a deep breath.

As Mark started to sing, Phillip was shocked to hear the strong, beautiful baritone sound. Mark closed his eyes and concentrated completely on the words and the music. The organist was watching him and following closely and Cheryl conducted with small spare movements, demanding the instrumentalists’ attention. Phillip listened to the words of the song he had forgotten:

Come my Way, my Truth, my Life:

Such a way as gives us breath;

Such a truth as ends all strife;

Such a life as killeth death.

Now I remember, he thought. Vaughn-Williams wrote a set of songs based on poems by that English poet, what was his name? Eighteenth century. No, seventeenth. John Donne, maybe (that was the only seventeenth century English poet Phillip could think of). He remembered having a record of Fischer-Dieskau singing it. But even he sounded nothing like Mark. Phillip sat, just watching Mark and listening. Finally the third and last verse started:

Come my Joy, my Love, my Heart:

Such a joy, as none can move;

Such a love as none can part;

Such a heart as joys in love.

It was only during the last verse that Mark opened his eyes and looked out into the church. As the last two lines started, Mark turned his head and looked at Phillip.

Mark’s solo ended and he sat down and the organist moved on to the next hymn. Finally communion was finished, announcements were made, and the service was over. The choir and pastors walked out of the church. Phillip tried to catch Mark’s eye on the way out, but they couldn’t really see each other. Phillip left the sanctuary with the rest of the congregation and walked through the narthex and got coffee and tried to stand inconspicuously against the wall. Finally he saw Mark emerge from the choir room. He had gotten out of his robes and was dressed in khakis and a sky blue polo shirt that perfectly matched the color of his eyes. He stood across the room, back against the wall, next to the door to the choir room, looking around. Phillip blinked and stared, not believing that anyone could possibly be that handsome. Mark finally spotted Phillip and smiled broadly. Phillip gasped softly and put his coffee cup down on the table. Mark walked over swiftly and grabbed him in a big hug.

“So what did you think?”

“I…I don’t know what to say. You were incredible. Unbelievable. I had no idea you could sing like that.

Mark grinned.

“And how did you know that I love that piece?” Phillip asked.

“I didn’t. Bill, our conductor, just suggested it to me. He said it would be a good fit for my voice.”

“Well, then this Bill is a very smart man.”

Mark put his arm around Phillip. They spent the next half hour talking to Mark’s choir and church friends. Everyone seemed to really like Mark and that somehow made Phillip very proud, but as Phillip watched Mark and all his friends, he realized with some guilt that he was jealous as well.

As they walked through the parking lot, Phillip couldn’t stop talking about Mark’s solo. Mark finally turned to Phillip and put his hand up over Phillip’s mouth.

“Stop,” he said and laughed. “I’m happy that you were impressed, but you’re starting to make me blush.” He then released Phillip’s mouth.

“Besides,” Mark said. “Next Saturday it’s your turn on stage.”

Copyright © 2011 Sifrid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..