Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leave This Small Town - 1. Chapter 1 - Exodus

This wasn’t the way his dad should’ve found out – if he were to ever find out at all. But as it were, Stanley knew the gig was up when he opened a copy of the Eaton Gazette and saw his own panicked face in a crowd of other gay men desperately fleeing a burning nightclub in the outskirts of the Midwest town of the same name. The fact of it being an attack would garner no sympathy from Stanley’s staunchly homophobic, slicked-hair, goatee'd, beer-bellied drunkard of a father. Stanley had always fantasized about leaving this place, this sorry excuse for a home on wheels. Now, he would have no choice. Perhaps it was better this way.

The only thing he was unsure of was whether he should make the first move, or let his father do it. Either way, his bags were packed, and he was mentally ready. Seeing his father’s reaction to this new discovery wasn’t something that would faze Stanley. He’d been witness to the shouting matches with his mother, which often included broken glass bottles and dents punched into walls. He’d seen the final, explosive fight, which left their living room looking like a warzone, and which finally forced his mother out, never to be seen again. “Why are you still living there?” pleaded his brother, who’d long since moved to the other side of the country. It wasn't a question Stanley could ever answer with any certainty. Maybe he was clinging on to the hope that things would somehow, some way, work over here, here in the small town where he’d grown up, where he’d made his first friend, where been to his first school dance, where he, regretfully, kissed Mary-Sue behind the sports equipment shack and prayed she would tell everyone about it and spread the story of his ostensible heterosexuality, but instead had kept the whole thing under wraps. Of this place where – well, who was he kidding? There was no hope here. The real reason he wanted to stay had a name – and that name was Cooper, Stanley’s erstwhile friend, back in junior high, who, after reaching the pinnacle of puberty, no longer deemed Stanley cool enough to hang out with, but of whom Stanley was totally enamored. It had reached a point where breathing the same air as (the decidedly straight) Cooper made Stanley swoon. And while that passion had faded over time, Stanley was inexorably drawn to Cooper, with whom he was now only on amicable terms with. Like a magnet, he drew Stanley in, not allowing him to move outside of the range of his magnetic proximity.

But that link was to be broken now. Stanley put the paper down atop his suitcases, and scoured his bedroom to check for anything he’d forgotten to pack. What would become of this place after he left? Would it be destroyed in a fit of rage? Or left to collect dust? Or would it be transformed for another use? No matter. The fact of his departure was set in stone now. The only question was whether to wait for his father to come home, or to leave on his own merit.

The decision was made for him when he heard his father’s Pontiac roll up to the front of the trailer.

Copyright © 2023 Simon Iskander; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..