Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>

Selkie - 9. Epilogue

This epilogue was beta'ed by Jilliane.

Selkie Epilogue

Lucius was content in his life, but still not whole.

Over the next years, the three settled into a routine. It became Lucius' duty to teach Eir whilst Severus made their living gathering potions ingredients and brewing for the few wizards that had settled on the islands further north. Both Fair Isle and the Shetlands held a rather large number of wizards that had fled the United Kingdom during the war and continued to shun contact with the lowlands. Many had never returned, preferring to raise their families away from the politics of the south, and amongst the very active Elven community that still ruled those islands.

Lucius found that he liked teaching, and began holding classes in their home for the children that would be attending Hogwarts in the near future. At first he took no compensation for the service, but as Severus rightly pointed out, he no longer had the accursed Malfoy wealth with which to sustain himself. Lucius accepted barter, and became the proud owner of a flock of chickens, the rights to use a fishing trawler at least one week of the fishing season, and a rather concupiscent swine who made Man's existence painful, as she squealed lustfully whenever the canine entered her field of vision. Man remained impassive to her less than welcome attentions, but the swine continued to pine for her canine love. Lucius thought, with a smirk, that several of the wizarding folk of the surrounding isles might have made the same observations about the inequality of looks between Lucius and Severus, had the two not become so indespensible to their well-being. Severus, it seemed, was something of a hedge-wizard and had learned the ancient art of midwifery to augment their somewhat limited income. Many children from the islands bore any number of variations on the name Severus.

Lucius began correspondence with the old Muggle who had shown him such kindness during his stay in Whitehall. She became something of a Yule fixture, and a grandmother figure to Eir. Even Severus unbent in her presence, as she complimented him on his home and the care he took of his daughter.

The other member of their strange family could be seen basking on the rocks of the island.

The Selkie watched Eir and Severus with an intensity that gave Lucius pause more than once. He remained stoic in her presence, but felt strangely protective and jealous of his lover when she was around. Severus, on more than one occasion, had to take him to task for his jealousy. He assured the older man that his days with the Selkie were over. Lucius was still wary, but he accepted that the fae creature may have merely wanted to ensure her offspring was growing well, rather than pining for her dark mate. It didn't matter much either way, Lucius still hated her for the gift she had been able to give Severus, his daughter. It had been the one thing that Lucius would have never been able to give him, no matter his wealth.

And then, suddenly, it seemed it was time for Eir to leave the island and go to Hogwarts. Lucius had never noticed her growth from pudgy child to coltish young woman, and it pained him when her eleventh birthday came along. Both men knew that their idyll was at an end. Both Severus and Lucius spent their time in mournful preparation as they planned their trip to Diagon Alley to gather her supplies. They were sure to cause a sensation with their resurrection.

The day of their trip, they took the skiff, loaded with their shrunken baggage, to Kirkwall, and then from there they moved on to Aberdeen. Lucius' mind turned to Will and his family, but he was distracted from his morose thoughts by Eir's enthusiasm for her first trip to Diagon Alley. She spoke nonstop about the familiar she intended to buy with her savings, a considerable amount due to the kindness of the old Muggle and her insistance on donating to Eir's dowry.

It was just Lucius' damnable luck that they ran into Draco on their second day in London. The day before had been trying enough as various shrieks of fear and joy could be heard through out Diagon Alley at their appearance. It was after a particularly heated discussion between the two men that Eir had chosen to eat breakfast in the Leaky Cauldron so that they might be closer to her chosen familiar, a Crup that had been abandoned by its former owner. Lucius was not sure about the desirability of this animal. They were nothing more than magical dogs, and his impression of that breed lent him the idea that they might be rather mischevious, naughty even. He was not sure that Eir needed any more help in that department. Severus, of course, had caved into her demands. He could refuse the girl nothing.

As they made their orders to Tom's frowsy-haired daughter, a hand fell on Lucius' shoulder. It was a testament to Lucius' self control that he did not hex the miscreant before he turned to see who it might be that had accosted him. His gaze rose from the Auror's robes to the eyes of his son. Draco merely said with a tightly controlled voice, "Father, I was under the impression that you had died."

Lucius gave a warning wave of his hand to Severus as the dark man shifted to rise. Severus stayed seated, but remained vigilant. Lucius drawled, "I thought you would appreciate the gesture, Mr. Malfoy. Surely you and your lovely wife needed a home."

"Yes." Draco had the grace to look away, his jaws working, grinding his emotions to paste. "May I?" He drew a chair from the long table at which they sat and Lucius inclined his head in assent. Once seated, Draco said, "I'm sorry... for what I said to you... for not... being there when you needed me... I wish..."

"Enough," Lucius said, his voice harsh and cutting. "I have no use for your contrition, and you are upsetting my family."

"I see." Draco's form seemed to collapse at the words. "Forgive me for intruding." His red-rimmed eyes sought Severus' as he stood. "It's nice to see that you are alive as well, Sir. Please, take care..."

And suddenly, Lucius saw the boy in the bitter man as Draco turned on his heel. Severus hissed something, but Lucius was already on his feet, his arms were already reaching to his son, ready to heal the pains that they had both inflicted over the years. "Dragon."

That was the only word he spoke as Draco accepted his embrace. It was not the only thing he needed to say, but there would be time enough for recrimination and fighting later. Lucius knew there would be, but at this moment, when all of his past and all of his future came together, he would settle for his son's soft sobs, and the support of the dark man behind him.

Finally, Lucius was whole.

THE END

Thank you for reading.
© 1997-2022 J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, Scholastic Press; All Rights Reserved; All recognizable characters and settings belong to JK Rowling. All other characters are the sole property of Tambra Galid. No copyright infringement is intended and no monetary gain is made from this effort.
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..