Jump to content
    thatboyChase
  • Author
  • 2,374 Words
  • 1,823 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Elijah - 1. Chapter 1: Paradise

“It is over. Finally. A struggle, a petty war…” A pause. “We have come so far and with that I owe a debt to the people of Elijah.” The T. V. bussed for a moment; every channel throughout the realm was focused on their king. “My father had built this country from mere stone…a glimmer of hope that would soon turn into this!” The camera pans zoomed out from the aged man to the vast crowds below the balcony, arching over to display a vast metropolitan city. “I remember vividly…” the roars of the crowd finally subsided, “Standing under the Great Oak…I knew…I knew what my father had envisioned…”

 

I changed the channel.

 

“Oi! Jeremy I was watching that!” my brother said. I shot him a dirty look.

 

“I have the control, plus it's just boring. You have no idea what he is talking about anyways.” My brother was two years younger and stupid. I thought at least

 

“Yeah I do…” he lunged from the other couch at me, I shuffled away and collapsed in the other chair. “I do Jeremy…come on… what if we see Dad?” This piqued my interest. Taunting him I scrolled through the infomercial channels then finally back to the Grand Address. Well, that is what the scrolling text bar on the T.V said, “King Titian's Grand Address.”

 

I was almost certain my father was not on the royal balcony. He was not that important. It was a big deal though when he came back, promoted to Field Captain. Some sort of valor medal presented by the King himself. We moved, too. This annoyed me as it would any other seventeen-year-old. Moving to Westfield was a mistake; sadly mother and my brother thought otherwise.

 

After my father had been promoted, we had been relocated to a more aristocratic location. To the Province of Riven, to the town of Westfield; it always rains here. I thought it was nice. It was something from a postcard, a country backdrop with large estates and private roads. We lived in the suburbs outside Constance, the not-so-bustling capital of Riven. I left the few friends I had back in Portalis (our previous province of residency) and we set up camp here. Mother was happy, which makes me happy and Christian (my brother) was quite oblivious to “up and leaving.”

 

I forced myself to adapt and I did. I took an umbrella wherever I went on account of the rain that was every other second. It was a dreary portion of Elijah, near the misty coast. My mother said the coast was near but we never went. Lots of promises to go, too; even my father promised in the summer when he got back. Always away on duty. Whatever that was. The war was over.

 

It was common knowledge that having a family member in the military would require family movement. Sacrifices had to be made, he had said. My war hero father; and, now that I think about it, I sound quite bitter. I’m not. I had yet to meet anyone my age because I am a poor socializer. Mother had already joined several comities in the cookie cutter neighborhood. Thankfully, I would be leaving soon for Academy.

 

I zoned back to the King.

 

“This victory has brought us tragedy, yes… but it has also strengthened us as a community…an empire!” The crowd naturally enjoyed this. “Many fought at the cold fronts of the Venz borderlands.” Venz was the large landmass to our north. Little was known about their lifestyle, government, anything really. We only knew they were ruthless fighters and quite fierce. At least the media said so. “And with their valiant efforts we stand here…Cathedral, the seat of Elijah…victorious and I as your king owe it to you…the people…” The crowd roared. “We have finally arrived in our own Paradise.”

 

 

I shut the T.V off completely.

 

“Jeremy!” My brother started for me and I chucked the remote at him. Catching it, he reclined on the couch and listened further. I left the room to pack.

 

Since my father had been promoted, benefits traveled down. I had overheard a conversation between my parents. It was late that night.

 

“Can we even afford that Louis?” My mother sounded concerned at the time. She and I got along, I think more than I did with my father. We connected and the concern I sensed was somewhat sincere.

 

“Well now… yes, we get benefits now you know. It’s almost for the better Catherine. We can send Jeremy to the academy; Christian can go in the next two years. It will work out. I’ve already spoken with the Ministry here and they already have a position reserved…”

 

“Really?”

 

“I have some pull now darling, it is helpful.”

 

“Are you sure?” My mother sounded skeptical.

 

“Of course. The lottery was drawn, we were selected. It is all mostly paid for, it will work.” I could hear the smile in his voice, “I will be gone often, but I will visit. I promise. Besides, Jeremy will be at the academy for most of the year. He’ll make friends hopefully, you know…” I abandoned the conversation at that point.

 

I was excited about Westfield Academy. Being away from home, alone, dorm rooms. It sounded rather enticing compared to public school. I approved of higher education if it was a “benefit” of being the offspring of a military official. I actually was leaving this afternoon. A car was coming to pick me up. The anticipation in my room could be cut with a knife.

 

I did some research and found that Westfield Academy was the most prestigious educational institution in all of Elijah. The Queen had been very involved with higher education throughout the realm, that and healthcare. I read that in the newspaper; anyway, the royal family was required to attend the Academy. Currently the Crown Prince David, his brother Caleb, and the Princess Lidia were in residence. It was a requirement in accordance to some law set by the Court. Most dignified figures of Elijah, the Dukes, Provencal Counts and Ministers sent their children as well. Anybody who knew somebody or had a vast amount of money attended.

 

Then there was me, boring Jeremy. Not a drop of royal blood. I had read that a lottery was held occasionally. Selected denizens of the realm were given the chance to send their children to be educated there, free of any charges. I figured I was lucky and I would not abuse that glorious luck. Learning was a favorite pastime of mine.

 

Hours trudged by as I packed my things. My mother alerted me the car was here. I kissed her goodbye, punched my brother in the arm, and was gone. It was bittersweet, yet I enjoyed it for some reason. The driver got my bags. I really paid no mind and felt myself sinking into the role of some “royal.” The car itself was nice, expensive. Black leather interior, a T.V. I think I spotted alcohol in a small iced cooler.

 

The ride was smooth out of the suburbs and into the lush countryside that was Westfield. Leaning my head against the cold window, I counted raindrops as they slid lazily by. I checked my reflection a few times. Making sure my uniform (a requirement) was presentable. I had always been slender, nice looking, as my mother frequently reminded me. My father always wanted me to lift weights or do some sort of physical exercise to build muscle. I never had the drive. I would just sit in my room and read, or study. I needed a haircut. It was disheveled and I could probably count on somebody calling me a douche bag, attempting some celebrity look that failed years ago.

 

I sighed; the country rolled past. Sunlight tore through the clouds casting a biblical light across the emerald hills. It was pretty. Occasionally through the tops of the thick forests the spires of a castle or large estate would appear. I always wondered who lived within. The minutes turned to hours and I managed to sleep some.

 

I was awakened with a soft shake; my driver was holding the door open to a bitter, chill wind. Gathering my coat, I shrugged it over my shoulders and stepped out.

 

 

 

“Your bags have been taken to your room and…” He rummaged through a file he pulled from his coat pocket. “Here is your itinerary; enjoy your stay sir.” Then he left. Somewhat impersonal, but I really paid no mind. I noted the gravel beneath my newly polished dress shoes, several other cars, duplicates of the one I rode in, lined up along the large roundabout.

 

Turning, I witnessed a breathtaking sight. The road we had traveled on slowly drifted down a small hill, escaping into a vast expanse of lush green countryside. A fountain bubbled in the center of the roundabout. Turning on my heel again, facing the academy itself, I concluded it was indeed an old castle. It was nothing ostentatious; I felt dwarfed, however. Small. Insignificant. The wind picked up and I trudged through the iron gates into a large courtyard.

 

The occasional group of young people strode past hugging their coats, and paying me no mind. I shrugged and toyed with the file in my hand. Sifting through it, I saw my name and various vitals, mother's name, father's, sibling's, the whole works. I zoned out reading my academic records from previous schools; the wind picked up, lifting a paper away from me. I swore softly and, shutting the file, stumbled after the paper.

 

Before I could reach it, gloved hands snatched it from the air. I skidded on the gravel to face a young man. I blinked, unsure what to say. The young man glanced at me, and then to the paper before handing it to me.

 

“You look lost.” His voice was hard to explain, “musical” sounded too much like a cliché. He would possibly do well reading stories on tape, something of that sort. I almost ignored him and the various suited men, with dark sunglasses around the small walkway we occupied. Retrieving my paper, I slipped it into the file.

 

“I guess…” I managed. “I just got here, actually, I’m new…. here…” I knew that I was socially inept at times. My eyes were also on the gravel, not him. Which was rude. I swiveled my hazel orbs upward and I was surprised to note he was probably near my age. Better looking. The kind of person you would want to go to a …party or some celebration with. Fair skin, sandy brown hair and a set of piercing green eyes.

 

“Ah… let me see.” He gestured outward for something, I did not follow.

 

“See what?”

 

“That?”

 

“What?”

 

“The file.” I flushed, I heard the man laug but ignored it and handed him the file without another thought.

 

 

“Your room is this way. Would you like me to show you?” I really had no other choice but to nod.

 

“Lead the way.” I said. As the young man handed me back the file, I noticed the four men in suits shadowing us as we moved. Their attempt at remaining obscure has failed.

 

“Who are they?” I asked.

 

“Oh them?” The green eyed boy glanced back. “I have no idea; they follow me around a lot though.” He paused and glanced at me with a smirk. “They hold open doors and such; I can’t complain.” I produced a fake smile, which he was content with, and on we went. As we strolled, not much more conversation occurred between us. I did not really even pay attention to the lavish interior of the corridors and halls as we walked to the dormitories. The signs along the way noted this.

 

We reached a door, which the helpful boy opened. Within, a short, blonde boy was sitting on a bed. I slipped across the threshold, thanked the green-eyed boy as he followed me in. I leaned against the wall near me, attempting to refocus myself. I needed to memorize how I got here. This was my room. I had no time to take in anything; the blonde gasped and flew up from the bed …and just stood staring at something past my guide and me.

 

“Well, here you are. I assume your things are here; see you around then?” He glanced at me.

 

“Yeah, thanks.” He turned to leave. His green eyes flicked to the blonde; the look they held was that of amusement. I questioned this briefly, and then caught myself. “I am Jeremy…” My hand was out first. He wrapped my cold fingers in a firm grip; I assumed he did this a lot. Nodding, he departed, shutting the door.

 

I breathed deeply. The blonde sank back to the bed, and then glanced at me; I had just appeared to him apparently.

 

“Wow.”

 

“What?”

 

“Dude…”

 

“What did I do? Did I do something wrong?”

 

“I hope not. Do you know who that was?”

 

“The guy just here?” I gestured to the door. The blonde nodded. “Nope.” I suddenly found him annoying. I moved around his bed to mine, which was across a rather large room. Large was good.

 

“Are you kidding?” He spun around on his bed to face me, “You are… right?” I ignored him for a moment as I began to unpack my things.

“No, really. Who is he?”

 

“That was Prince David.” It was a whisper; his voice rose to a higher pitch. “Dude, you never see him around.” I was not sure how much ‘dude’ could be used in one conversation, “Yeah, you see Caleb and Lidia, but never him…whoa… so awesome…” He beamed at me.

 

I smiled back in that same way the Prince had looked at the star struck blonde, amusement. I had no idea why.

Copyright © 2011 thatboyChase; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..