Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 2,299 Words
  • 3,244 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Return of the Sun - 19. Chapter 19

From there it had gone surprisingly well, and after the pub Scott had offered to run Luke back home, stealing a moment alone before Luke had reached for the door handle to go. The neighbourhood was familiar, Groveland's school had stood relatively close through a secluded alley tucked in the back of Forestview.

He got out of the Rover as well, looking about him, remember how as a little boy he had walked up this road to go to school, the proper little gentleman in his school uniform and...girlish features. All that time he had no idea that Luke had lived right on the school's doorstep.

Luke was watching him, casting the occasional glance at his bungalow, which was brightly lit and the sounds of the television reaching even out to the street. "What are you thinking?" he asked in concern, following Scott's look towards the alley that led to school. "Oh," he said softly.

Scott was already crossing the street; it was a warm night and he was just in his shirtsleeves, feeling the light breeze tickle his arms. He loved nights like this, they weren't uncomfortable. It was just perfect.

"Scott," Luke called warningly, but Scott was unresponsive as he walked into the alley, retracing steps he had taken a hundred times before. He remembered meeting Aunt Christine and Darren each day, pulling at his gran's hand to let him run off ahead. Wanting to get to the playground and his friends.

"Scott," Luke called again, jogging to catch up... but it was too late. He found Scott standing on the ground, staring at the block of new houses that had been erected where his school had sat. Scott's eyes swept about him for some sign of his childhood that had been so thoroughly eradicated. It was gone; the past was dead, lifeless. It could only exist in memory.

He swallowed back his emotion; he had learned to read where that new house sat, he had played where that car now sat... he had kissed his first girl over in the corner where a dog was barking. Scored his first goal...

He felt Luke wrap his arms around him from behind, just pulling him against his chest, resting his chin on Scott's shoulder, and in stunned silence Scott just stood there shivering. This was his past, and it was gone.

"Four generations of my family went to that school," he said quietly, the pain evident in his voice.

"They built a larger school just up on Grovelands Road," Luke said into his ear still holding onto him. "It's beautiful on these great fields; the kids have everything they need."

Scott nodded feeling Luke's breath on his neck and he leaned his head back a little, "It's a good change then," he said, emotion still rich in his voice.

"I should have warned you," Luke said, concern still evident in his.

"Not your fault..." Scott turned, still in Luke's arms. "You realize I'm standing about where you stabbed me."

"Actually," Luke said pushing him forwards a bit and off to one side, "It was more like here. And how many times do I have to apologize for that?"

Scott blew out a sigh and rested his forehead against Luke's staring into his eyes, "Last time, I promise."

Luke rolled his eyes, "You're a demanding sod aren't you."

Scott kissed him.

"Oi! You two...get off my bloody lawn!!" a rather loud man bellowed from the doorway of his house.

Both Luke and Scott took off at a run, laughing as they sprinted back up the alley back to Luke's house, the sound of a rather annoyed homeowner bellowing obscenities after them.

They fell panting against the wall of Luke's house, Scott breathing hard and still trying to stop laughing as he looked back the way they had just run. Luke shook his head at him grinning like a maniac, clutching onto his knees and catching his breath.

"What's going on here, then?" Jan's voice demanded suspiciously as she wheeled herself out of the backdoor, "You two up to mischief?" She gave them both a suspicious look that was so typical of certain members of the Allston family.

"Yes, Mum." Luke replied with no hint of sheepishness in his voice.

"Well," Jan sounded puzzled, "Is that young Scotty Walker with you?" she asked, peering into the gloom.

"Just keeping him out of trouble, Ma'am," Scott replied with a smile as he straightened up and smiled at Scott's mother.

She gave them both a look that said she knew full well what boys their age were capable of getting up to, and Scott was glad she didn't know the half of it. "All right then, well, supper is on the stove." She paused and looked at Scott, "I presume you probably haven't eaten either, so haul yourself inside as well and get something to eat." She gave him a stern look, "And no arguments from either of you."

They both nodded, "Yes," and shuffled into the bungalow behind her, Scott accepting a seat at the dining-room table as Luke began to dish up two plates of Shepherd's pie. Jan gave them both a critical look until they were both tucking happily into the meal before she returned to the front room and the noise of the tele.

"Welcome to the family," Luke said, beginning to sober up from his uncharacteristic enthusiasm as he shovelled another fork full into his mouth.

Scott began to reply when something short, dark-haired and loud came roaring through the dining room holding onto a toy aeroplane; he squeaked to a stop when he saw Scott sitting at the table. He looked startled a moment before tearing off bellowing, "Mummy, Mummy, there's a stranger in the kitchen!"

"That would be the sprog," Luke said gesturing with his fork after the fleeing little monster. To Scott it looked the spitting image of Luke at that age. He shifted and tucked his feet under the well-scrubbed table and glanced around; this was his first time in the Allston house.

There were coats hanging precariously from a coat rack that had seen better days and had definitely never been designed to hold that many coats; it looked ready to topple over at any moment. There was a sewing machine tucked into the corner with a pile of trousers that needed re-hemming, hand-me-downs were essential in a family that big, Scott reasoned.

The television began to sound out the trumpeted notes announcing Coronation Street and Luke screwed up his nose, "Well, Mum's going to be distracted for awhile," he surmised.

"Nothing wrong with Corrie," Scott replied with a smile, "I know Gran's been watching it for years."

It was like watching a full-on retreat from the front room. First the 'sprog' came barrelling out running past both of them again to tumble into a heap in front of a toy box which he began pulling toy cars out of. Moments later, another lanky-looking teen about fifteen ambled out, nodding to the two of them as he inverted a chair and straddled it, sitting at the table.

"Joel, Scott; he's Mrs Walker's grandson," Luke introduced. Reaching into a bag of sliced bread in the middle of the table and pulling out a slice, he tore it into slivers and mopped the gravy from his plate.

"Scott," Joel greeted with a smile, before looking back at Luke. "Mum's pissed at you," he said in a knowing tone.

"Don't swear," Luke said. "Why's she mad this time?"

"You didn't take the rubbish out before you left, Dickie did it instead."

Luke rolled his eyes, "Great, something else to be mad at. She does realize I work, right?" The coldness was seeping back into his eyes, a deep-seated apathy for everything; and under the table Scott nudged him twice with his knee.

"I'll go talk to her," he said, getting up and absently allowing his hand to accidentally touch Scott shoulder before he vanished into the front room.

Dickie stomped in from the backdoor, pulling up short as the sprog wrapped his arms around his legs. "Whoa, hey there," he said, bending down to scoop Jasper up into a full hug.

Joel was grinning, "Hey Dickie," he greeted.

Dickie looked in some surprise to see Scott sitting at the table, but nodded at him with a puzzled look on his face before putting Jasper down.

"Your mum insisted," Scott offered, gesturing to the living room where the sounds of yelling were just beginning.

Dickie rolled his eyes listening to it start before he walked over to the stove and heaped the last of the food onto a plate and joined Scott at the table. "I usually let them have it out," he said as if explaining it. "Wanted to apologize for Fleur last weekend."

"No need," Scott said, shaking his head as he finished his own supper, "I should be apologizing to you, I think; we got our wires crossed or something."

Dickie shrugged it off, "Water under the bridge, don't worry about it. Fleur just gets a little possessive, that's all." He was giving Scott that penetrating look as if trying to read him again, "We shouldn't have just left you two there like that; if we'd have waited you wouldn't have ended up stranded like that."

"No worries, it all worked out in the end," Scott reassured, as the yelling in the living room was getting louder. Both mother and son possessed the same capacity for arguing and used it liberally. Scott couldn't make out what was being said, but he knew it was getting heated.

Dickie looked up apologetically, "It'll blow over soon." He decided to change the subject, "What are you doing on Saturday? I need to make a run into Eastbourne if you wouldn't mind giving me a lift."

"Sure, no problem," Scott agreed wondering why Dickie didn't just ask Serena; but then after everything was said and done last weekend, it was probably smarter for Scott to do it. Not that Fleur would see it that way.

"Great, glad I can count on you."

The yelling reached a fever point and the front-room door slammed as Luke stalked out; he was livid, and didn't acknowledge anyone as he threw open the back door and slammed that behind him as well. Dickie blew out a sigh and looked over at Joel who just shrugged.

Scott looked back and forth and made to get up.

"You should leave him be," Dickie warned, "he just needs to cool off."

Scott was torn; if he ran after Luke he would have to explain why, but if he just left Luke alone and obviously upset... He shrugged, "Yeah, but he's a friend..."

Joel and Dickie both looked at him, surprised at his declaration of friendship with their brother. He used that moment to slip out after Luke. He caught up to him walking down the road, hands thrust deep into his pockets and a dark scowl on his face.

"Hey," Scott said, jogging up alongside of him and falling into step.

"Not now, Scott," Luke growled, keeping his eyes focused ahead of him as he walked.

Scott sighed as he kept pace, respecting Luke's need for quiet, taking the opportunity to just be there for Luke in the way Luke had been there for him at the school grounds. He kept stealing glances at Luke, hoping for a flicker of the Luke he was falling for, the one that hid behind all the anger, the one that was tender and eager and loving all at the same time.

"It's just not right," Luke said after a minute, "I work just as hard as Dickie does at home, and I have a full time job..." He shook his head, "If he had forgotten the rubbish she would have just made me or Joel take it out and nothing more would be said about it. But because it's me there's a big deal." He shook his head and swore.

Scott nodded, keeping quiet; he had nothing to really relate it to, he'd moved out of his dad's as soon as he could. Now there were several thousand miles between him and his immediate family. All he had to worry about at home was ensuring Gran was okay.

"I mean, Christ, I've been at work all bloody day, bringing money home and have I ever gotten a thank you? All Dickie does is laze about the place, lifting a finger when he has to; he doesn't contribute, doesn't do anything and yet he's golden." He shook his head, "What do I have to do?"

Scott reached out a hand and brushed Luke's shirt and Luke shrugged it off, not wanting the physical contact. Scott withdrew his hand and went to stick it back into his pocket. But Luke reached out his own and caught it. Just holding it lightly for a moment before letting it go.

"I'm sorry, Scott," he said slowly.

Scott turned to him, "It's fine; look, I don't get on with my dad, I understand what it's like. I just, I guess you're more patient than I am."

Luke nodded as they rounded another corner, darker and secluded from the main street. And Scott suddenly found himself swept up into Luke's arms as Luke just held on for a moment or two, letting him go again a moment later.

"Sorry," he said turning away, and turning back with a hopeful look in his eye before he blushed and turned away again.

"It's ok," Scott said nudging him, "shows me how you really feel about me."

Luke glanced back, "Why do you bother with me, Scott?"

Scott shrugged, "'cause I'm a stupid little prat," he replied. "Besides, I like the uniform."

Copyright © 2011 Topher_Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..