Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics, Walt Disney Company, and Sony <br>

The Black Spider - 8. Chapter 8: The Executive Order

Tony sincerely hoped he knew what he was doing. For obvious reasons, he’d kept the guest list to his in-home training facility as close to none as possible. Only two other people, besides himself, had access. Both of them were people Tony had known for a very long time. They were people he trusted with his very life. How could he go from that to granting access to a sixteen-year-old boy, of whom he’d met in person and conversed with enough times to count on one hand?

“Because I need to know what he’s fully capable of and if his body can handle those capabilities.” Tony reminded himself.

And what Peter was capable of was more than just running faster and jumping higher. Tony knew there were at least three more things the kid had discovered he could do, and was keeping quiet on. The only reason he hadn’t pressed the issue at the time of happening was because he’d understood Peter’s reason for holding back. It wasn’t quite unlike the situation he was dealing with now.

“It’s not like he’s a bad kid. No arrest record. He’s never even been suspended from school…”

A small piece of the information Tony had acquired during his background check of Peter Parker. It wasn’t something he’d done just for the security of his training facility. He’d done it as a security measure for the future. A bad kid, or a kid from a bad environment, might decide to use their abilities in a way that could bring them face to face with law enforcement, or a certain Iron Man. But even a good kid from a good environment might decide to use their abilities in that same way if they didn’t have guidance.

“Too bad he’s got no other choice but to keep them.”

Tony had acquired Peter’s medical records before starting work on the anti-venom. He’d used them to screen for pre-existing medical conditions, and then to make sure administration of the anti-venom wouldn’t cause any new conditions, or death, to occur.

The same information was used as part of the research on the alterations to Peter’s DNA. Tony wanted to make sure the alterations hadn’t made Peter more susceptible to illnesses like cancer. Luckily, the alterations hadn’t changed any susceptibility. Unluckily, the research could only tell him which sections of DNA were altered, but not the exact location of the alteration. It was akin to being shown a map of a state and being told alterations had happened to the state, but not being given the city, let alone a street. With no way to confirm if the city or street was correct, there was no way to reverse or shut off the alterations.

“Catch you at a bad time, Mister Stark?” a voice asked from the backseat.

Tony’s foot, which was already on the brake, pressed it harder, and his hands locked onto the steering wheel in a death grip. His eyes were the only things capable of movement. Both of them snapped to the rear-view mirror, giving him a look at the face and body of the person speaking to him.

The person was another man. One with a pair of steely blue eyes set into a serious looking face.

“You should beef up your security on your vehicles. If I would’ve been an enemy, you’d be dead or compromised right now,” he said.

“Noted, though most of the enemies I deal with don’t bother with simple methods like hiding in back seats,” Tony remarked. “How long have you been back there and how did you get in here?”

“I’ve been here long enough to hear your musings. And I got in by temporarily disabling your vehicle’s security system. As for why you never saw me…”

The man pressed a button on his wristwatch. Tony watched as he suddenly vanished from sight.

“Is that what you agents are using to keep tabs on people now, Agent Coulson?” Tony asked.

He was well aware of who the person in his backseat was. They’d met more than once before, and had even worked together in the past. Agent, which Tony believed was actually the man’s first name, Coulson was a representative of the Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement and Logistics Division, better known by the acronym, S.H.I.E.L.D. When situations moved beyond their control, these were the people the government called to help them out.

“That’s classified information.” Agent Coulson replied, activating the device again to restore his visibility.

“Well, I’ll definitely be watching my back, and my back seat, from now on.”

Traffic began to move again. Tony put his main focus back on the road.

“Aren’t you supposed to be in New Mexico now?” Tony recalled the last time he’d seen Agent Coulson.

“That situation is under control. Now, I’m here to deal with a new one.”

“Which, I’m assuming, involves me somehow?”

“Indirectly. I know you’re a man who pays attention to his competition in business, so I’m sure you know what Project Steelweave is.”

Tony nodded.

“Yes, I do.”

“What do you know about it?”

“That Osborn was out of his mind if he thought he’d be able to get away with genetically altering a species just so he could make really strong rope.”

“So did we, but it didn’t stop it from happening. Norman Osborn assured everyone that the spiders created through Project Steelweave would be housed in a state-of-the-art containment unit, in which escape was impossible. Should an escape somehow occur; the spiders would have a kill switch that would terminate them.”

“I was under the assumption that the kill switch wasn’t immediate.”

“You assume correctly. It doesn’t leave enough time for the spider to get out and mate, but it leaves more than enough time for it to attack anything it might come across.”

“Which defeats the entire purpose of a kill switch.”

“Agreed.” Agent Coulson nodded. “Recently, we received a report that a spider managed to not only escape from Norman Osborn’s inescapable prison, it also got the chance to attack someone.”

Tony had the strangest sense of knowing where the direction of the conversation he was having with Agent Coulson was going.

“Is it classified how you became privy to this report?” he asked.

“Yes. But you have the appropriate clearance level for me to share the information with you,” Agent Coulson replied. “Shortly after Project Steelweave went live, we conducted virtual experiments to determine what affects a bite from one of the spiders might have on a variety of species, including humans.”

“What were your findings?”

“Death. Usually within forty-eight hours after initial exposure for humans. The venom these spiders produce is like a Frankenstein’s monster creation. It attacks every system, and every part of the body. Even with treatment, the damage it does is permanent.”

“And yet this project is still allowed to remain live?”

Agent Coulson grimaced.

“Even S.H.I.E.L.D isn’t immune to circumvention. That’s why we created an anti-venom to have on hand should the need arise to use it. We even went so far as to put flags into all laboratory informatic networks that would alert us should a sample of the venom be analyzed at any medical facility in the world. When that alert went off, the last thing we expected to arrive and discover is that you’d already administered an anti-venom. ”

This confirmed to Tony that the direction he’d sensed the conversation was moving toward was correct. S.H.I.E.L.D knew what had happened to Peter, and about his involvement in Peter’s recovery.

“Why are you just now consulting with me on this, Agent Coulson?” Tony asked, wondering why S.H.I.E.L.D hadn’t made contact with him during the actual crisis.

“Because until last night we didn’t have to.”

“What changed?”

A smile that didn’t sing of joy came to Agent Coulson’s lips.

“You tell me. You’re the one who put the nanites into our young subject’s blood.”

How they’d found that out, Tony didn’t know. How they’d managed to hack the nanites and find out the information they were transmitting, Tony also didn’t know. What he did know was that S.H.I.E.L.D knew everything. There was nothing else to hide.

“Why do I get the feeling you want something from me?” Tony inquired.

“Because we do,” Agent Coulson answered. “We need you to keep your eye on Mister Parker and, when the time comes, show him the ropes when it comes to being a superhero.”

Traffic chose the perfect moment to slow down and come to a stop. Had it not, Tony surely would’ve caused an accident, because his foot went straight for the brake. His car’s abrupt stop startled the first car that was behind him, and the car behind that, and the car behind that. All of them were able to come to a halt in enough time to prevent a small pile up.

Tony, completely unaware of the happenings behind his vehicle, turned around to face Agent Coulson.

“Wait! Hold on! Don’t you think you’re jumping the gun by a lot here? Who said anything about the kid wanting to be a superhero?”

“He did. Although, I’m sure he doesn’t know it yet.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I’m going to assume you have no idea that Mister Parker stopped a robbery in progress last night.”

Tony didn’t have to say a word. His expression answered for him.

“Mister Parker managed to take down an armed adult male with a single can of chili beans. He used it as a projectile to hit the man in the head, and managed to hit a sweet spot too. It didn’t knock the guy out cold, but it was more than enough to put him down.”

Tony shrugged, “And? That’s just one occurrence. It’s hardly the start of a career.”

“True, but the intent is there. We’re asking you to help steer that intent in a good direction wherever you can.”

“So, what do you want me to do? Be his babysitter?”

The demeanor of serious returned to Agent Coulson.

“Please understand, Mister Stark, that we have a sixteen-year-old boy displaying superhuman powers. S.H.I.E.L.D doesn’t want to consider him a liability, but he is.”

“And what would you have me do? I can’t be with him 24/7. It’s not like I have any pull in his life. We barely know each other.”

“Sounds like you’ve got a leg up on us, then. We don’t even know him at all.”

“But you’re acting like I can just incorporate myself into his life.”

“You seem to be doing a good job of it so far. I believe the two of you have a meeting tomorrow?”

With traffic still stopped, Tony released his aggression by pressing his foot hard against the brake pedal.

“And how do you know that?” he asked.

“Never have a sensitive conversation in front of a smart TV. You never know who might be watching,” Agent Coulson suggested.

Tony shook his head.

“Do you people believe in privacy laws?”

Agent Coulson chuckled.

“I hate to say it, but isn’t that the pot calling the kettle black?”

The foot that’d started relaxing back to normality on the brake pedal tensed again.

“Touché,” Tony remarked.

“We don’t need you to become his b.f.f. We just need you to be that person he has to talk to when it comes to his powers, and the one to allow him a place in which he can safely use them.

“And what if I fail? What if he wants nothing else to do with me after our meeting?”

“I don’t think that’ll be a problem. Before your meeting is over, you’re going to offer to train him.”

The expression that came to Tony’s face showed his noncompliance.

“Oh, am I now?”

“Yes. I had my own objections against it, but Directory Fury seems to think you can handle it.”

“Could you please let ol’ one eye know that I don’t appreciate him, or any of you, volunteering me for things without my consent?”

“I’ll be sure to tell him the next time I see him.”

“And why would I train him? That’s just going to make him want to get out there and apply it.”

“Trust me, Mister Stark, it’s going to happen anyway. It comes along with the having superpowers territory.”

Maybe as far as Agent Coulson was concerned. As far as Tony was concerned, “If I take this kid under my wing, I’m doing everything within my power to make sure he doesn’t want to set foot out into these streets. Because if you expect me to introduce a child to the superhero life, then you and the one-eyed bandit must be truly out of your minds.”

Agent Coulson chuckled again.

“Why am I seeing amusement from you?” Tony snapped.

“Because I’m starting to see that maybe Director Fury was right in thinking you were the correct man for this job. So, I guess the only thing left for me to ask is: would you like to work it, or not?”

Traffic started to move again. Tony squared a glance in his rear-view mirror at Agent Coulson, before they fell back onto the road.

“Doors lock,” Tony commanded, seemingly to nobody.

The four doors of the car suddenly locked.

Despite the fact that the vehicle was moving, Agent Coulson tried the door handle. It wouldn’t budge.

“How ‘bout that security system?” Tony remarked, dryly.

“Mister Stark, I–”

“Don’t have to say another word. You’re going on a ride, Agent Coulson. We’re going to my building, where I have a meeting I must attend, and…if you’re a very good boy and don’t speak for the entire ride…I’ll give you my answer.”

Aggression flashed across Agent Coulson’s face. Tony caught sight of it in his rear-view mirror. He almost dared the S.H.I.E.L.D agent to try something. The man would quickly find out that the security features didn’t stop at the four car doors.

A stone expression washed over Agent Coulson’s face as he settled into his seat.

“I hope you like music. It soothes me while I’m driving.” Tony said, before reaching over with his right thumb to touch the button with the image of a forward pointing arrow on his steering wheel.

The car suddenly came alive with the sounds of ‘Shoot to Thrill’ by AC/DC.

*                      *                      *                      *                      *                      *         

Fifteen minutes later, Tony pulled into his parking spot in the lot at the Stark Enterprises building. Despite the volume of the music, Agent Coulson had remained silent and stone-faced for the entire ride.

Tony, meanwhile, had enjoyed all fifteen minutes of the trip. Knowing he was the reason for the look on his backseat passenger’s face made every second a treasure. He hadn’t needed the time to think about his answer. He’d already had it.

Turning off the car, taking the sound of music with it, Tony let out a rejuvenated sigh.

“I don’t know about you, but I’m soothed,” he said, turning to look at Agent Coulson.

Agent Coulson did not respond.

Tony’s expression became serious.

“Let’s be crystal clear that the feelings and intentions I expressed earlier remain the same. If S.H.I.E.L.D can handle that, Agent Coulson, I will work your job.”

“Yes, Mister Stark, S.H.I.E.L.D can handle that. And remember that this is a covert job between you and Mister Parker. Make sure he knows that. His family and friends don’t need to know about this. None of your people need to know about this. And capitol to all of that, nobody but you needs to know about S.H.I.E.L.D’s involvement in this matter until further notice.”

“Well, there goes the big televised announcement,” Tony remarked.

Agent Coulson ignored it.

“You have my card in case something happens. Other than that, we’ll be in contact.”

“Doors unlock.” Tony commanded.

The four car doors responded by unlocking.

Agent Coulson opened the door and moved to get out, but paused. The stone expression on his face softened slightly.

“Thank you for doing this, Tony. And thank you for saving that young man’s life. Don’t worry, I have a ride.”

Before Tony had the chance to reflect and comment, Agent Coulson got out of the car and shut the door. Tony was silent for a moment before, “Ride?”

Snatching off his seat belt, Tony opened the door and got out of the car. His eyes scanned the area for Agent Coulson. But in the same manner in which he’d first appeared, the agent of S.H.I.E.L.D had also disappeared.

*                      *                      *                      *                      *                      *

© 1962-2022 Marvel Comics, Walt Disney Company, Sony; All Rights Reserved; Marvel characters and universe are © by Marvel Comics/Marvel Entertainment LLC. <br />The rest is © 2014 by Twisted Dreemz; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics, Walt Disney Company, and Sony <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..