Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

First Encounters - Prologue. Prologue

Mid-life crisis! I used to think it was just an excuse for a middle aged guy to run out and buy a shiny new convertible on credit, or an apology to justify a little bit of marital indiscretion, or a justification to get up and leave your dull boring job and drive up to the mountains for a week--Boy, was I ever wrong! Because I’ve got it...Real Bad! I feel like I don’t quite fit into my life anymore. Not that I have it half bad. I won’t bore you with all the details, but I have a wife of many years, two healthy, intelligent kids, a nice house in a nice suburban neighborhood, and money--money’s not a problem. So what’s the crisis? Damned if I can tell you. It’s just that, for the last year or so, I’ve started to question everything in my life: my work, my friends, my family, my religious beliefs, my tastes in music, movies, books, the way I talk, the way I walk...you get the idea. Everything feels just...not...quite...right. But enough of this babbling. That’s not what you’re here for. I’ve decided, as a bit of self therapy, to go back to a very different part of my life and try to write some of it down. I’ve never done anything like this before, and it may not help--in fact, it might just make things worse. We’ll see...

I have to go back more than thirty years to get to the beginning of the story, and that’s a long way to go back. Surprisingly, some events, some moments, remain incredibly vivid in my memory: I can remember exactly the way people sounded, I can remember exactly how they dressed, even what the weather was like. Other things tend to get blurred together: certain people’s faces or voices aren’t as clear to me anymore as others are, I can’t remember the exact sequence of a particular series of events, I remember things one way one day, and another way the next day...But rest assured, what I’m putting down here is not just a gilded memory of the past as viewed through rose colored glasses. Certainly, there will be some exaggeration and compression of dialogue and events, and a very limited amount of dramatic license to move things along smoothly. There may even be a bit of editorializing--after all, I’ve learned a few things over the last thirty years! But be warned that some of what you read here will be dark and disturbing in nature, or just downright strange! And yet, all these things happened, and all these people are real. I’ve changed the names, and most of the locations, and left the year unspecified for now. I’ve given myself the name of Perry Thompson--a quiet, unassuming name for a quiet, unassuming kid. Suffice it to say, that it’s not too long after the dawning of the new millennium. And if I’ve forgotten some of the slang of my youth, or the name of a particular video game or pop music group, I hope you’ll understand...You can blame it on this damned mid-life crisis!

Copyright © 2011 underthehoodster; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..