French Open 2013

It has been a fascinating French Open so far as the competition enters second week. Nadal is struggling without practice while Federer is hopping in a draw full of chokers (Simon just choked). Djokovic is also cruising. But revelation of the tournament has been the comeback stories. Monfils, Robredo, Haas have all lit the tournament up with amazing 5 setter wins. And while Janowicz, Kilzan and Paire (all 23) seem to be on the verge of breakthroughs, it is becoming frustrating to watch Raoinic and Dimitrov not fulfilling the potential. It's perhaps the first time in the history of Men's tennis that no teenager or fresh adult (20 yrs old :-) ) has made a deep run at a Grand Slam in half a decade (Tsonga was last I think). So if these guys are the future of Tennis post the big four, I am pessimistic about finding any true great champion who's not a head case.

Edited by meanderingsNmusings

• 2 months later...

[...] And while Janowicz, Kilzan and Paire (all 23) seem to be on the verge of breakthroughs, it is becoming frustrating to watch Raoinic and Dimitrov not fulfilling the potential. It's perhaps the first time in the history of Men's tennis that no teenager or fresh adult (20 yrs old :-) ) has made a deep run at a Grand Slam in half a decade (Tsonga was last I think). So if these guys are the future of Tennis post the big four, I am pessimistic about finding any true great champion who's not a head case.

I know I'm a little late in my answer but still, I will chime in.

First I will say that, both at 26, I will still consider Djokovic and Murray as in their young prime. At 27, Nadal, even if his injuries will most likely still follow him until he retires, can be quite effective.

I do however understand your point. Raonic has now change his coach and hopefully will achieve his potential. Getting into a final of a Master 1000 tournament last week in mtl is a good start, even if he didn't make it as easy as it could have been.  Granted he got his ass whooped in final against Nadal but still it's a good start. He will need to learn how to finish his games to go to the next step.

In Canada, I would say that Vasek Pospisil could become better than Raonic in not that long. He has a serve that is almost as powerful, but he's more intelligent and is quicker on his feet.

I do agree with you, Benoit Paire and Janowicz are to be looked at.. I will finally say that we shouldn't ignore Del Potro, who's still young enough.

I know I'm a little late in my answer but still, I will chime in.

First I will say that, both at 26, I will still consider Djokovic and Murray as in their young prime. At 27, Nadal, even if his injuries will most likely still follow him until he retires, can be quite effective.

I do however understand your point. Raonic has now change his coach and hopefully will achieve his potential. Getting into a final of a Master 1000 tournament last week in mtl is a good start, even if he didn't make it as easy as it could have been.  Granted he got his ass whooped in final against Nadal but still it's a good start. He will need to learn how to finish his games to go to the next step.

In Canada, I would say that Vasek Pospisil could become better than Raonic in not that long. He has a serve that is almost as powerful, but he's more intelligent and is quicker on his feet.

I do agree with you, Benoit Paire and Janowicz are to be looked at.. I will finally say that we shouldn't ignore Del Potro, who's still young enough.

Glad to find at least one follower of Tennis.... So you must have enjoyed last week's breakthrough for Canadian Tennis. You're right about Nadal, Murray and Djokovic being young. I see them dominating another couple of years, till the next Olympics may be. But they will climb down in the next few years, it's inevitable. And my feeling is that we'd have the merry-go-round of late nineties again, anyone who wins a GS and two masters climbs to No.1. Janowicz is increasingly looking like the real deal. Don't trust Dimitrov has the physicality or the commitment to work on it.