Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 1,362 Words
  • 618 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

hic sunt dracones - 4. Grandma's Last Laugh

Grandma's Last Laugh

 

As a child growing up life stayed in regular patterns. During the week I woke, ate my cereal, watched cartoons, went to school, came home, did homework, played, ate dinner, took a bath, and went to bed. Saturday mornings were cartoons and then you were out with friends till dinnertime. Sundays were spent with the family. The only real changes were vacations.

The biggest changes to that schedule were summer vacations and Christmas. I spent nearly every summer with my Grandma Ruth. She was a robust woman, with a zest for life. I lived for my times with her. Summers meant coloring books, games of Trouble, and jigsaw puzzles. It meant walks to the schoolyard to fly a kite, summer nights being read to, and ice cream from the truck that drove around. It also meant times listening to tales about her life as she sat crocheting. That was when she wasn’t driving around in her little green Volkswagen bug. I was but one of her grandchildren, but she made my summers memorable.

Christmas was also special. Christmas Eve my parents held an open house with tables laden with all sorts of food and desserts. It also meant my grandmother would be there from the early afternoon until late Christmas day. She would “ooh” and “ahh” at every gift that my brother or I opened, and then sit to play with us.

Naturally there were other visits all year, but especially as a child, those were known events and were part of the schedule. Life, if nothing else, is change. We grow up and things change. It happens slowly or all at once, but life doesn’t wait for you to notice, it just marches on.

As a child you imagine everything continues as it always has until something steals your innocence. At first, you don’t notice missing the monthly visit in October with Grandma. In November, you notice your father going out at night, and more often your brother and you having a babysitter, mainly because of whispered comments between your parents. The big shock comes when Grandma doesn’t show up in her little green bug for Christmas. This leads to the talk.

“Where’s Grandma? She should be here!” I stood clutching my teddy bear, a gift from her, refusing to go to bed until she arrived.

“Come sit down, Wayne,” said my mother as she sat on my bed.

My father stood and once I finally sat down next to my mom, he sat on my other side.

“Where’s Grandma?” I demanded, as hugged my bear tighter and looked back and forth at my parents.

“She can’t come this year,” my father began. His voice was strange and I stared at him.

My mom hugged me tight. “Grandma is very sick. She has to stay where she is right now. When she feels better we will take you and your brother to see her.”

Dad looked away and then left the room.

“Okay, Mom.” I kissed her cheek and went to bed dreaming of Santa.

Things changed. Dad was off to see grandma a lot. Mom seemed worried. However, Jim and I plodded along in our own little world. Until spring came and late April rolled around. Dad, Mom, my aunts and uncles, and it seemed all of my cousins ended up at Grandma’s house one day. Jim and I were set in the living room with coloring books from the closet as every closet, cabinet, and room was cleaned out and emptied. Dad took a suitcase of grandma’s stuff to the car. Mom carried the game of Trouble, while my younger brother and I carried the coloring books and crayons to the car.

The next day Jim and I were sat down for a talk.

“Okay guys, tomorrow we are going to go visit your grandma,” my father began.

“But, daddy we were at her house yesterday. Where is she?” I asked cutting him off from his train of thought.

“Where?’ parroted Jim.

“She lives in a special home. Remember, grandma has been sick so she needs help sometimes.”

“Okay.” I was happy I would be seeing her at last.

“She wanted you both to look nice so I bought you new pants.”

Jim and I just nodded and ran off to play.

The next day I looked in the mirror and didn’t want to leave. My father had gotten me a shiny grey top and bright orange, green, and blue plaid bellbottom pants. I was hating everything about it, but Dad marched me outside where I joined Jim and Mom in the car.

The drive was long and the building we pulled up to looked like no house I’d ever seen. When we went in there was a desk and Dad signed us in.

“Hon, take the boys into the garden. I’ll get Mom and meet you there.”

Mom nodded and took Jim and me by the hands, led us down a hallway where we passed many old women, turned and took us out into this garden that had a lot of doorways and a paved circular path. We sat down and a few moments later Dad wheeled in this thin little woman.

I got up and ran to my father, about to ask for my grandmother when the old woman spoke.

“Wayne? What? No hug?”

I stared at the frail woman in the wheelchair. She didn’t look like my grandmother, but she sounded like her. “Grandma?”

She reached out and I fell into her hug.

“What happened?” I stared at her, unsure what was happening.

Before anyone could say anything my brother bulldozed past me and climbed into Grandma’s lap and hugged her. Grandma paled a bit, but hugged him.

Dad gently took Jimmy off Grandma’s lap. “Why don’t you boys go look at the fish in the pond over there.”

Jim took off like shot and was soon calling me. “Wayne! Look! Fish!”

As I went to follow him I heard my father lower his voice. “We don’t know how to explain cancer to them, Mom.”

Jim was rushing around the pond, but I was afraid of water.

“Wayne, come see the fish,” begged my brother.

“I can see them from here.” I was afraid of slipping and falling like Jim nearly did running around the pond. It was only when Jim began to walk over toward my parents and grandmother that I finally found my nerve. I walked closer, then got on my hands and knees, and peered over into the pond. A moment later I was spitting out water and trying to stand up, as my younger brother laughed and pointed.

“I push you! I push you!” He stood laughing at me.

I turned to see my mother and grandmother laughing, but my father vanished through one of the doors. Soaking wet I climbed out of the pond, my shoes squelching with every step, and my hair dripping into my face. I began to cry as I sat down on the nearest bench.

Jim had the good sense to hide by Mom.

Dad returned and called my name. “Wayne!”

I turned only to be blinded by a flash, and to hear Grandma laugh. “We need to save this moment.”

“That’s just mean,” my grandma whispered as she tried not laugh.

I looked at my dad and then my brother.

“Well, Wayne. Did you see any fish?”

My whole family broke out laughing. I sat on the bench drip-drying until we got ready to go.

“I know you didn’t enjoy it, Wayne, but I really love you and I needed the laugh.” Grandma hugged me tight and kissed my cheek.

It would be the last time I saw her. A week later, cancer claimed the robust woman I once knew, leaving a hole in my heart. Unfortunately, she would only be the first of many people I loved who was stolen from me by cancer. As I once supplied her with her final laugh, some day I hope to see a cure so we can all have a last laugh at cancer.

comicfan

I think it would be best for all review-comments to be left here, on Skinny's posting. That way individual comments on specific pieces can be left and answered directly by the author.
https://www.gayauthors.org/blogs/entry/16575-skinnys-sorry/
If you would like to participate and add your own tribute piece to hic sunt dracones, please email or PM me. I suspect we will be posting another chapter (or more) as time goes by.
Thanks for reading.

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..