Jump to content
    Altimexis
  • Author
  • 2,487 Words
  • 1,709 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Naptown 24 - A Blizzard in Iowa - 5. The Wedding Day

A Blizzard in Iowa

A Naptown Tale by Altimexis

Mississippi River

The Wedding Day

Friday, the day of our wedding, dawned bright and sunny. I’d been so worried about the weather, and was glad to see that my worries had been baseless. I thanked God that the bad weather had stayed out West. Everything was perfect.

We started the day with a light brunch for the immediate family and close friends, including those who would be involved in the wedding ceremony.

Before long, it was time for us all to get dressed. Brian and I were both wearing pure white tuxedos with contrasting midnight blue shirts and cummerbunds that I thought brought out Brian’s eye color beautifully. Our best men - Brian’s brother and Jeremy - as well as the other ‘men of honor’ - meaning David, Trevor, and Kurt, as well as both our fathers - were dressed in the reverse color scheme. Brian’s sister and both our mothers were dressed in matching dark blue dresses. We looked good, if I did say so myself.

It’s funny, but I never pictured geeky Trevor as a musician. My friends were full of surprises. Besides Trevor, we’d hired a full six-piece band that included a violin, a cello, an acoustic guitar, a bass guitar, a keyboardist and a drummer. The ensemble played a very nice progression of soft music as the guests were seated for the ceremony. I was surprised, however, when Trevor joined them well ahead of the ceremony. I had expected him to sing only one song - Noel Paul Stookey’s version of the Wedding Song, for Brian’s and my march down the aisle. Instead, he joined the band and sang an entire repertoire of soft love songs. Obviously I knew he must love music from the way he’d nearly gone to jail for having thousands of music downloads on his computer, but I had no idea he could play the guitar as well as he did, nor that he owned a classic guitar. The real surprise, however, was his voice - it was beautiful. Man, could Trevor sing. He sounded so much like Coldplay’s Chris Martin, it sent chills down my spine.

Just before the wedding was to start, Trevor sang Mellencamp’s rendition of Brian Philips’ words set to music - the other Brian Philips, that is, the wonderful song, Why Do I Feel This Way? It brought me to tears. It brought everyone to tears, I think. God, to think it could have been my Brian that had taken his own life . . . I shuddered at the thought.

Finally, Trevor started to sing The Wedding Song, which was my cue. I walked down the aisle on my mother’s arm. My father and Jeremy waited for me at the front of the Ballroom, as did our longtime family minister, the Reverend Jenkins, and Kurt. I was so nervous, I nearly tripped on the red carpeting several times, although it was smooth and flat as could be. Brian followed behind me on Jenny’s arm, and joined Danny and his brother, Tom on the other side of the aisle.

Once everyone was in place, the Reverend Jenkins began.

“I could begin this ceremony with ‘Dearly Beloved’ and all that sanctimonious crap, but that really belies the importance of the event we are all here to bear witness unto this day. The joining of two souls is always a special event, but the wedding ceremony is just that . . . a ceremony that makes official in the eyes of the law what we hope God has already recognized as the union between compatible human beings. Many here already know this, and I’m sure many more will be surprised to discover that this is not the first time I have officiated at a ceremony marking the joining of a same-sex union. This is just the first time the State of Iowa has seen fit to afford legal recognition to this type of union and to grant it the same status as that between a man and a woman, and to that, I say it’s about damn time!

I couldn’t believe it when the whole crowd broke out in spontaneous applause. It felt like we had been vindicated.

Continuing, the reverend said, “Love knows no bounds, and when love occurs between two members of the same sex, it is no less natural than between a man and a woman. It is no less God’s plan. Love is always part of God’s plan.

“Will, Brian, I understand you knew you would marry from the moment your eyes fell on each other,” he continued and we both nodded in the affirmative. “How much more obvious can it be that this love is God’s love . . . that this love is God’s will . . . a love that was meant to be for all eternity?”

At this point, Kurt took over and said, “Will, when we first met, you were a lost soul. We met in Washington during your White House internship. You picked us up at the airport, and although you were trying to play the role of a straight man, it was obvious to all of us from the start that you were in the closet, and miserable.”

I was shocked at hearing these words. Was it really that obvious?

“Yes, it was that obvious,” Kurt added with a laugh, which made everyone else laugh. “When Trevor and I joined hands, I could see the look of longing in your eyes as if to ask, ‘Why can’t I have that?’

“It didn’t take long for us to confirm what we knew to be the case . . . not that you were obvious or anything, and not that we possess gaydar, but you were miserable. You were so stubborn, however, and even when we tried to show you there was a way to be what you wanted to be and to be out and proud, you still couldn’t see past the way you’d always believed you had to live your life.

“Sadly, life has a way of evening the score, and while we can never feel happy about the tragedy of the life of Sherrie Williams, know this . . . the outcome of her life is not in any way your fault. You cannot undo what she did to herself, but if there is a silver lining, it’s that you learned an important lesson . . . that living a lie isn’t worth it. You also learned, I hope, that you have friends who will stand by you, no matter what. We love you, Will, and will always be there for you, and for the one you love.”

Turning to my fiancé, Kurt continued, “Brian, when Will texted us to say he’d met the man he was going to marry, at first we thought he was pulling our legs, but then he e-mailed us photos of the two of you, and we could see from the looks in your eyes just how much in love you were, and we knew that you had both found true love. I know all about love at first sight. I had it with Trevor, and Trevor had it with me. My good friends David and Jeremy had it with each other. They’ve been together for nearly two and a half years, now. Anyone who says it doesn’t last has no idea what they’re talking about.

“But know this, Brian. We love Will in our own way, too, and if you do anything to hurt Will, there’s no place far enough away for you to hide. You got that?” Kurt asked as he winked. “Seriously, guys, I love you both, and I wish you the best of luck, and all the love in the world.

“Now since I’m only sixteen, and barely at that, and just about to enter college, let alone seminary, I’m going to hand the ceremony back to Reverend Jenkins to officiate, so that your marriage will be legal.”

“Thank you, Kurt,” the Reverend said. “You’re wise beyond your years.”

Turning to the crowd at large, he asked of no one in particular, “Can you believe he’s only sixteen?

“Actually, I had to ask him to restrain himself from his original plans to extensively quote the Bible to ‘prove’ that gay marriage is valid. I told him that would actually be counterproductive, as our Savior, Jesus Christ, himself has already weighed in on the subject as far as I’m concerned, and besides, the Iowa Supreme Court has settled the matter from a legal standpoint, so why belabor the issue? However, I’ll tell you, I’ve never found anyone who can quote chapter and verse like Kurt Dewitt can. Also, please note that he and Trevor Austin, the young man who sang for us today, will be getting married this summer. I think you’ll agree, they make quite a couple.” The reverend started clapping and pretty soon, everyone was following suit.

“Will and Brian, you asked to keep things simple, so without further delays, we’ll have the recital of your vows,” the reverend stated. “May we have the rings, please?” he asked.

In a moment meant to inject some levity into the service, rather than having a little boy or girl bring the rings out on a small pillow, David, probably the tallest person present, brought the rings out on what had to be largest satin-clad pillow I’d ever seen. Each ring was on its own stand - otherwise they might have become lost in proportion. Not many people could have pulled it off, but David just smiled his crooked, killer smile as we took the rings from him, and he then gave his boyfriend a quick peck on the cheek as he passed by before returning to take a seat back among the guests.

Reverend Jenkins nodded to me, and I then looked at Brian and nearly became lost in those deep pools of blue behind his bronze-rimmed glasses that complemented his face so well.

Grabbing hold of his left hand, I said, “Brian, as you’ve heard today, I’ve made plenty of mistakes in my life, but one thing that has never been an issue is my judgment of character. From the moment I set eyes on you, I knew you were someone special. I knew you were a man of integrity . . . an honest man capable of bestowing infinite love, boundless compassion and who would never, ever do anything other than the right thing. How I wish I could say I’d always been the same way, but I can honestly say that I will always do the right thing from this day forward, forever more.

“Brian, with this ring, I promise to love, honor and cherish you every day that I draw breath, in sickness and in health, no matter whether we have plenty, or fall on ill fortune, and even should we make mistakes. No matter what happens in life, I will be by your side, for such is the power of the bond we share.

“We both have our careers, you in Art History and me in The Law, and both of us in Academia, but even if our career interests change, I will respect your career goals and will be supportive of your growth and development, as I hope you will be of mine. We will work together to be supportive of one another, complementing each other’s career development even as we recognize the importance of setting aside time for ourselves as a couple, without which, our love cannot flourish. Above all else, I pledge myself to maintain open communication, which is the cornerstone of any relationship. I love you, Brian Philips, and dedicate myself to loving you for the rest of my days.

“With this ring, I dedicate myself to building a family with you, taking in others in need. There are many children in need of our love, and we have much love to give. It won’t be easy, but true love never is. Along with you, I dedicate myself to taking in the unwanted children, particularly gay children, whose parents have discarded them simply because they are gay.

“With this ring, I take you, Brian Philips, to be my lawful wedded husband, ’til death do us part and perhaps beyond,” I concluded as I slipped the ring onto Brian’s ring finger.

“Dearest Will,” Brian started, “when I first saw you, I knew you were a man of integrity and beauty. Yes, you had made some mistakes along the way, whereas I had lived a sheltered life and was naïve, but in spite of my lack of experience, I knew that you and I were meant to be together for all eternity.

“With this ring, I promise to love, honor and cherish you every day that I draw breath, in sickness and in health, no matter whether we have plenty, or fall on ill fortune, even should we make mistakes that we will continue to learn from. No matter what happens in life, I will be by your side, and perhaps even beyond, for such is the power of the bond we share.

“Yes, we both have careers, you in The Law and me in Art History, and both of us in Academia, but even if our career interests change, I will respect your career goals and will be supportive of your growth and development, as I hope you will be of mine. We will work together to be supportive of one another, complementing each other’s career development even as we recognize the importance of setting aside time for ourselves as a couple, without which our love cannot flourish. Will, I pledge to maintain open communication, as this is the cornerstone of any relationship. I love you, and throughout the rest our lives, I will be in love with you.

“With this ring, I dedicate myself to building a family with you, taking in others in need. True love is never easy, but there are many children in need of our love, and we have so much love to give. Along with you, I dedicate myself to taking in the unwanted children, particularly gay children whose parents have discarded them simply because they are gay.

“With this ring, I take you, Will Kramer, to be my lawful wedded husband, ’til death do us part, and perhaps beyond,” Brian concluded as he slipped the ring onto my ring finger.

“By the power vested in me by the State of Iowa,” the reverend stated, “I hereby pronounce you husbands in holy matrimony.”

With those simple words, we were married! Leaning forward, we wrapped each other in our arms and kissed each other - not passionately, but warmly and lovingly - for the first time as a married couple. I was ecstatic. Brian was my husband! Wow! Everyone cheered as we made our exit while Trevor sang We’ve Only Just Begun, an old Carpenters song that’s been a staple of weddings since before I was born.



Discuss the Story



⇐ Previous Chapter



Naptown Index



Next Chapter ⇒


2009 Altimexis. All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..