Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aftertheblood - 3. Chapter 3


To Whom It May Concern,

I’m so sorry you had to find me like this. I drove out here because the sandstone ledges are so beautiful this time of the year. If you’re out here to read this I’m sure you agree. If you could please make sure my family and friends see this letter I’d appreciate it greatly.

Mom and Dad – I love you both, that was never the question. I’m sorry I argued with you so much over the past couple weeks. This isn’t your fault in the least, please don’t blame yourselves. Thanks for everything and for trying to be supportive.

Amber, Lauren, and Chris – You three are my closest friends. Don’t think for one second I did this because of the other kids at school, there’s so much more to it than that. I’m going to miss the times we hung out together. I love you guys, try not to be too upset.

I wish I could explain what I’m going through, but you wouldn’t understand. I used to think I knew where my life was going, and now I have no idea what’s happening. Nothing makes sense anymore. I know you all want to help, but I also know how afraid you are of me. I don’t know what’s going on but I don’t want the people I love to be afraid. Hell, I’m afraid of myself these days, afraid of what I might do. So please, don’t be too sad. We all know this is for the best. I love you and I’m sorry I hurt you.

-Liyah

She gently folded the letter and placed it in her pocket. Liyah gave the ledges one last look and admired how the icicles spread across the shelves, remembering the first time her grandfather took her out here years ago. Jumping off would do no good, she'd just break a bone and that would hurt like hell. Instead, she took her father's gun out of her other pocket.

So this is it, she thought as she pulled the trigger. *Click* Nothing happened. Liyah realized she forgot to turn off the safety. She cocked the gun, and was ready to try again when an enormous dog approached her. Is that a wolf? She wondered. It was white with streaks of light brown on its back. Further thought made her wonder if this was *the* wolf she vaguely heard about in the news. Maybe she'd get mauled to death by it. She hardly cared. The wolf was beautiful in a way, with its snowy pelt. The hairs on its back were raised though; it bared its teeth and let out a low growl.

Liyah was beyond caring about her own safety however. That is, until the wolf lunged forward. She shrieked in surprise at its speed and barely dodged out of the way. The wolf still raked her leg though. She could feel the blood trickling down and...did that wolf just get bigger? To the girl's horror, the wolf stood on its hind legs and soon topped eight feet tall.

*********

"We've been following this damn creek for twenty minutes," Brooke whined, "What stone walls?"

"We're almost there," Shaun replied. "Wolfboy could still be anywhere out here though. But maybe if--" he was cut off by the sound of a gunshot.

“It came from up ahead!” Brooke said. The duo ran, following their ears until they got to the ledges, where they found the werewolf fighting...

“…A paladin?" Brooke wondered, surprised, “He must have stayed in the area, waiting for Wolfy to make his next move.” However, they noticed he wasn’t doing very well, sporting a gash on his arm and was doing his best to stay alive. They also noticed an teenage girl laying on the ground, watching in horror at the fight.

“Go help that girl," Shaun said, "I’ll see if I can help take wolfboy down.”

“Shaun!” Brooke called out, but he ignored her. You idiot, he’ll kill you too, she thought, but nonetheless went to help the girl. “Are you okay?” Brooke asked her.

“No, that thing gashed my leg!” she replied.

Brooke cast a healing spell on the girl's leg.

"Um...thanks?" she said, confused.

The paladin was knocked to the ground by the werewolf. Just as its claws came crashing down, its hand hit a translucent green forcefield. Shaun then pushed the forcefield in the wolf's direction, knocking it into a tree.

"Look like you can use a hand," Shaun said to the paladin.

“Back off,” he rudely replied, “I don’t need help from a sorcerer!”

“My help was good enough to save your ass!”

"Man, whatever."

“We’ll talk later, let’s see about this dog problem first,” Shaun said.

The lupine quickly got to its feet, and took the men head on.

“Now I’ve seen everything,” the girl said.

Brooke shook her head, “This isn’t right. Can’t they see he’s just scared and confused?”

“What are you gonna do, talk to it?” the girl asked sarcastically.

Brooke was unsure how to answer. The werewolf ran towards Shaun, who protected himself with another magic shield. The creature pummeled it with terrifying fury. Shaun's plan was to briefly drop the shield long enough to shock the werewolf with a lightning jolt, just enough to knock the creature out. However, the paladin took advantage of the distraction and went for his silver dagger, which the werewolf had earlier knocked out of his hand. He ran up and stabbed the creature in its side. Its howl of pain was not pretty. As it doubled over, the paladin raised his blade in the air, ready to cut the beast's head off.

Copyright © 2011 Azure Dragon; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..