Jump to content
    B1ue
  • Author
  • 1,459 Words
  • 671 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2008 - Spring - Living in the Shadows Entry

The Slaying of Lydia Syanto - 1. Story

“The Slaying of Lydia Syanto”

By B1ue

 

Nine Things Californians Need to Know About Shades
1. It is a fact that California has a higher than average number of Shades within its borders. You likely pass by several every day; one may even be a friend or neighbor. However, for all but a fraction, you will never notice anything different about them, and they will pose no immediate threat.

I tracked Lydia Syanto down to one of those hideously trendy shops that threatened to dominate Los Angeles. This moment was nearly a week in coming, both to find Syanto, and to be sure. It’s hard to tell the freaks from the humans, but the name “Syanto” was a tip off. It meant “Light.” Obviously, Syanto had a sense of humor. Satisfied, it was standard procedure from that point, and I got the go ahead to proceed this morning. When we identify one of them, we eliminate it. This one would not see another dark sky, or my name wasn't Gregory Cantor.

No one paid the slightest attention to my team as we pulled up in our unmarked cruiser. We made sure not to walk too fast or with too much purpose, and in seconds the three of us had crossed the few yards to the shop unnoticed. Sloppiness at this point, with our target nearly in our grasp, was not acceptable. Alice on my left and Franc on my right, we entered.

2. Though Shades in your daily life may pose no immediate threat, make no mistake, they are a threat. A shade may look human and act human, but they are NOT truly human. Treating shades as if they were human turns real humans into casualties.

The place was dead, which was a good and a bad thing. While fewer civilians meant fewer chances for casualties, it is also hard to blend in when there isn’t anyone else around to hide behind. But no one said life was perfect, so we got down to it. The bored teenager behind the counter got as far as murmuring, “Welcome to—,“ before I cut him off.

“This is an official arrest by the California Humanoform Observation, Investigation and Response team,” I said, loud and even. Customers screamed, an employee dove for cover behind the counter, and Syanto looked up, blue eyes even with my twin barrels. I always found it ironic that such dark souls invariably had such light eyes as their windows. I guess some poetic metaphors simply aren’t true. People began to frantically make for the exit, but I didn’t care; I’d set myself up so that everyone could run around me to the exit and not block my line of fire. Dimly, I noticed that Alice and Franc had done the same. “Do not move or speak unless I order it or I will kill you. Do you understand?”

3. Shades are biologically neuter. While possessing outward sexual characteristics, shades produce neither sperm nor eggs.

The shock slowly melted off Syanto’s face, but otherwise there was no response. “Answer me dammit!” I yelled. I always got tense this close to Shades; the damn neuters sent out some vibe that always set me off. Syanto was no different.

It smiled, oozing sarcasm even before it spoke. “I’m sorry officer, but you said not to speak until you ordered. I was simply waiting for that order.”

I was sorely tempted to shoot it on principle, but my superiors wouldn’t like that. “Put your hands up, slowly.” I motioned Alice to step forward. She did, holstering her weapon with one hand and pulling out handcuffs with another. They were special cuffs, ones our boys in the lab had invented to lock up Shades freakier powers. The ACLU claimed that using the cuffs were torturous, but I never cared. Shades might look human, but treating as such always got someone killed. Silly me, I preferred shades to get the sharp end of that stick.

4. Shades possess the ability to manipulate shadows and light, which is why many spend as much time as possible in places like dance clubs and coffee shops, where indistinct light and shadows are prevalent.

Alice was nearly close enough to snap on the cuffs, barely a step out of range, when Syanto looked me straight in the eye and said, “I don’t think so.” It's finger moved almost imperceptibly, just a shiver, so fast I didn’t even have time to swear. The lamp above suddenly swung of its own accord, bathing Syanto momentarily in shadow. I couldn’t do anything; Alice was too close for me to fire my weapon. Franc, who had a pistol to my sawed-off, could and he did fire, but it was already too late.

5. The power a shades can call upon varies from individual to individual. There are reports of shades that can so infuse a shadow with power that it becomes solid enough to touch.

When the lamp swung back on its arc, the seat Syanto had occupied was empty.

“FLARES!” I screamed, fumbling for my own in desperation. Alice got hers out first, and the ground around her exploded with bright light, brighter than the sun. My flares hit the ground a second later, and the third set of taps from Franc’s corner was music to my ears. “Find it!”

6. There are also reports, fewer in number but provided by expert eye-witnesses, that shades can also become shadows, immune to most weapons and possibly even able to pass through walls.

We made sure to stay in the light. As long as you stay in the light, Shades can’t touch you, but in the darkness you were worse than dead. We looked around, trying to find a spot unlit. From behind the counter, the coffee shop kid suddenly screamed. I paled; we’d forgotten to toss one of our flares that way. He stood and scrambled awkwardly over the counter. By his expression, he was running from something, Alice started towards him, scooping up a flare as she moved, her instinct overpowering her caution just for a moment.

I didn’t move. I knew the kid was gone.

7. Of course, everyone has heard of someone that has had their shadow stolen by a shade, and left in a vegetable state that they never recover from. These reports are very much real. To date, there are well over 100 confirmed and twice as many suspected victims of this ability in California. No documented victim of shadow theft has regained consciousness since their attack.

The shadow he was stepping out of deepened, and seemed to flow up around him despite our flares. He started to scream, but halfway out it became a sigh as his jaw went slack. The coffee boy crumpled to the ground, boneless as a corpse. Syanto had stolen his shadow, taken his life like a biblical demon. He might as well be a corpse now; he would never wake.

I cursed, but could not dwell. I kicked one of my own flares towards the body, making sure to stay in the light. Syanto would be more powerful now, powerful enough to take complete shadow form and move through the walls to freedom. I began to order Franc outside to check the alley alongside, but I hesitated.

Something wasn’t right.

I reached towards that part of me that always twitched near shades. I reached for it and let it guide my hand. There. I aimed without thinking, trusting my intuition.

8. .If you find yourself under attack by shades, and you cannot wait for a CHoIR team, remember two things: Fire and Light. Staying in a very well lit area denies a shade most of their powers, and fire is the one sure way to injure a shade who has taken shadow form.

The shotgun roared, its blast made up of enough white phosphorous pellets to stage a cremation. A small patch of darkness that had appeared when Alice picked up the flare was lit up once more, and Syanto was suddenly revealed. Fire and shock splashed across its ghostly face.

And then the blue-eyed-face melted, and the shock was no more.

9. Of course, while everyone should always keep an eye out for suspected shade activity, under no circumstances should you confront a shade on your own. Instead, contact your local CHoIR (California Humanoform Investigation and Response) team. They are trained and equipped specifically to deal with shades and other forms of demihumans, and are your best resource for most situations

"Nine Things Californian's Need to Know about Shades"--Prepared by Gregory Cantor, CHoIR Senior Agent.

 

Authors Note: I would like to thank Mike for his encouragement and thoughts on this story.

© 2008 B1ue

You must have the author's consent to post this story elsewhere, and a link back to Gay Authors is requested.<br /><br />
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2008 - Spring - Living in the Shadows Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..