Jump to content
    Brayon
  • Author
  • 426 Words
  • 923 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Shorts, and Flash Fictions - 13. One Word Prompt - “Goodbye”

A prompt based on one word.

The city park was quiet, even at this time of year. It was a small park, barely an acre, with concrete picnic tables, underneath equally garish concrete shelters, and only one playground area. An early cold snap had come and had driven people to the warmth of indoors. Those that were in the park this day, were locals, who just came for a few moments with family before they carried on. Except for one.

Julian sat at one picnic table and shivered slightly. The cold breeze blew across his small frame and chilled him through his unseasonal clothing. His breath showed in the chilled air, and he rubbed his arms to stay warm.

“Julian, what are you doing here like this?” Asked a red-hair youth, who walked up to the table. He wore warm clothing and looked at his friend with concern.

“Thanks for coming, Bruce,” Julian said, and quickly gave his friend a hug. “I came to say goodbye.”

Sensing how cold his friend was, Bruce took off his jacket and wrapped it around his friend's slender frame. “Goodbye? What do you mean goodbye?”

“I came out to my parents last night, and they kicked me out,” Julian said. He fought back tears, as he talked to his friend.

“You’ve been out on the streets all night? Why didn’t you call me sooner? You could have come to my house, my parents love you, and would have welcomed you in a heartbeat.”

“I… I didn’t think… I just ran, when he came at me…”

Bruce pulled Julian into a hug and held him. He felt how cold his friend was, even through the jacket, and was concerned. “We need to get you to someplace warm. Have you eaten yet?”

“No, I haven’t. But, as I said Bruce, I wanted to say goodbye to you. You’re my best friend. Thank you for all you did for me.”

“You’re welcome… I’m going to step over there and call my mom, wait here.” Bruce stood up, and moved over to the end of the shelter, and pulled out his phone. He dialed his mom, and turned to look at Julian, but was startled to see his friend was missing. His jacket was folded neatly on the table.

Bruce looked for his friend, but with the park being so small and open, it was easy for him to see that he was not there.

***

Later that day, Julian’s body was found a few blocks from his house. He had died overnight from exposure to the cold.

Copyright © 2017 BHopper2; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

a sad story .. but nicely written A.. shame Julian couldn't trust Bruce to help... 

Thanks, tim. Needed a kick to the creative juices, and found a list of One Word Prompts, in the Writing Prompts forum. I used an Random-Number-Generator and it landed on "goodbye."

My meh-blah mood shows in this one, but it did its job.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, mogwhy said:

like tim said, so sad and even sadder is that he couldn't trust his friend

Thanks, Moggie. I actually didn't realize the whole trust factor, until you and tim pointed it out. :unsure:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

Well written and very sad. The knowing of this happening. Just heartbreaking. You interpreted the prompt well.

Thank you, jp. It was a lingering meh mood I was in. I'm glad you liked it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Kitt said:

:no:

Just a little morbid, my first with a ghost talking to a friend. Tempted to do another along this line.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..