Jump to content
    ChrisL
  • Author
  • 1,631 Words
  • 683 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

David and Glass - 2. Chapter 2

Part II

Parades

 

Flags of fiery colors filled the streets leading to the palace. Red, orange, and yellow waived in triumph of the return of the Prince. The people looked upon their royalty with trust and awe. The King was a great man, and the people of his nation revered him as the first magnificent king the nation had seen in a long time.

The return of his son marked a return of hope for the future. Hope that this king’s son may in fact be just as brilliant. The streets were a testament to the return of joy to the hearts of the commoners and royalty alike.

 

1

 

“You saved my son,” King Robert said with watery eyes. He held his hand out in front of David. David took the King’s hand. As they shook, the King continued, “I am going to promote you to Chief Inspector.”

David gasped, “Sir, I’m hardly worthy or qualified for such a position.”

“You saved my son, it’s the least I can do,” the King replied. “You will live here, in the palace.”

David’s face fell for a moment as he considered the situation. “My family needs me,” he sighed.

“How about this, I will personally make sure that your family receives a considerable gift from our government if you will be my Chief Inspector,” the King grinned.

The tables had turned. David’s family was what was important. If taking this position meant them having a better life, then his answer was clear to him. “Thank you sir,” David said outstretching his hand. “I’ll do it.”

 

2

 

A week passed. David’s first week as Chief Inspector had been a quiet one. He learned the responsibilities of the position. With the help from his advisors David realized that the job was largely a public figure. The men that worked for him primarily took care of the real work.

David’s room in the palace was in the East Wing. His accommodations were splendorous. The bed was the largest, most comfortable bed David had ever slept on. David hardly owned enough clothing to fill one closet, much less the other eight in his room. Having come from a lower-middle class family, David had never experienced treatment like this.

On this particular evening, David had finished his duties later than usual. He made his way back to the East Wing and stepped into his room. He shut the door and sighed.

“Long day?”

David jumped at the sound of the voice. He turned and saw Prince Jonathan standing in the corner of the room.

“Prince Jonathan!” David said. “How can I be of service, sir?”

Jonathan laughed. “I came here to thank you personally. I feel as though I never really got to do that.” Jonathan’s smile was sweet and full of brightness, which was a contrast to the wound still healing on his cheek. The long gash gave Jonathan a sinister look.

“Oh… well I was just doing my job, sir,” David said averting his eyes for a moment.

“Please, enough with the sir thing! I’m not my father,” Jonathan laughed.

“Yes, Prince Jonathan,” David said uncomfortable with a lack of formality.

“Just Jonathan,” he said as he reached a hand out. “Jonathan.”

“Jonathan,” David carefully took Jonathan’s hand, knowing that he must still be in pain. David was nervous. Being in the room alone with Jonathan filled him with a sense of unease. Once they broke the handshake silence befell them. Jonathan stared into David’s eyes with a knowing look.

Jonathan leaned his face towards David’s. Taking David’s head in his hands their lips met. David felt warm, comfortable with Jonathan all of the sudden. This kiss felt natural, it felt wonderful. David began to return the kiss. His hands reached up from his side and wrapped around Jonathan’s waist.

Jonathan pushed David up against the door to the room. David felt his world collapse. All of the sudden the open and empty world became a tiny box. Nothing mattered to him at this moment. No worries, no extraneous thoughts, just Jonathan.

Having been saved by David, Jonathan felt as sensation of warmth and ease knowing that he could do this with his hero.

Neither man knew how long the kiss lasted, however once it broke everything changed again. David felt the worries return. He began to analyze the situation. David’s face fell.

“What is it?” Jonathan asked.

“This isn’t right,” David whispered. “We can’t do this.”

“Why?” Jonathan challenged.

“The King…” David began.

“The King doesn’t decide what I do. I decide what I do,” Jonathan interrupted. Jonathan smiled, “Come on. Don’t think too hard about it. Just do what feels good.”

“Good and right aren’t the same thing,” David replied. Jonathan stared silently. David let his thoughts go for a brief moment and their faces tilted closer again. Against David’s better judgment, the two men began to kiss again.

 

3

 

The Royal Conference Room was a relatively comfortable room. David stood nervously on the wing of the stage waiting to be introduced to the audience of reporters. The King stepped out first to polite applause from the press. He discussed David’s work over the past year and his accomplishments in the last what was now two weeks as the new Chief Inspector.

The King was not afraid to embellish. It made his decision to appoint David Chief Inspector much more legitimate. “Without further ado, I give you Chief Inspector David Jesse!”

The reporters broke out into a thunderous applause. Every person in the room was on their feet for the newly glorified hero. David walked out onto stage holding himself high. He shook the hand of the King and took the podium. The King exited the stage to stand next to his advisor.

“I remember when you used to get a response like that,” the advisor said as the roaring response continued on.

The King’s expression deflated to anger. He began breathing heavier at the thought that David was still so popular. It was at this point King Robert decided that David had to leave the palace.

 

4

 

Five days before the Prince’s kidnapping…

 

“You need to pull yourself together if you want to lead this country!” King Robert screamed.

Prince Jonathan was fuming, “What?! Just because I disagree with one of you decisions I’m no longer fit to be king?”

The King swallowed hard. “Do you really think I don’t know?” He began in a harsh whisper. “I know what you do… with your boys. You think I’m not watching, but I know what goes on in my palace and don’t think that I don’t know.”

Prince Jonathan felt the air in his lungs freeze. He thought he had been careful enough to avoid suspicion. He opened his mouth to refute his father’s claim but no sound escaped.

The King continued, “So if you think that is behavior fitting of a future king, then you are surely mistaken. I will not have that. You are a disgrace. Think if your mother were alive to see you like this.”

Jonathan’s eyes began to water. This was too much to handle all at once and all as a surprise.

“Clean yourself up. Do not let the public see you like this,” the King said as he stormed down palace hall.

 

5

 

Present day…

 

David could not believe the current situation. He was lying naked in his bed on a beautiful Saturday morning. The sun light streamed in through the large window. Lying next to him Jonathan slept. David had been up for about an hour, but had not yet moved for fear of stirring the sleeping prince.

He definitely felt something for Jonathan. Having never had a boyfriend or girlfriend, David was new to the idea of a relationship. But he was beginning to understand the feeling that people in love share. But his trepidation was still there.

Jonathan slowly opened his eyes, wondering if last night had been a dream. He looked up from the white pillow to see David staring into the distance. “Good morning,” he said softly.

David smiled as he heard Jonathan’s voice. “Good morning Jonathan,” David said with a soothing tone.

Jonathan carefully lifted himself up to a sitting position with his back to the bed. “Do you regret last night?”

David stared into Jonathan’s blue eyes, “Regret?” He took a deep breath. “No, I don’t.”

“But?” Jonathan asked, disappointed with David’s hesitant response.

“But I am afraid. What if someone finds out?” David asked.

“No one has to know. And no one will find out. Trust me,” Jonathan replied, however he could not be sure that his father did not all ready know.

The sheets shifted slightly and Jonathan’s leg came into view. With large gashes and burn marks still visible, though healing nicely. David carefully placed his hand over the wounds. He lightly trained his fingers over the leg. Jonathan swallowed, he was becoming self-conscious of these markings that littered his lower body.

“I love you.” At first David could not tell who said it. He began wondering if he had lost all control of his voice. But when he looked at Jonathan he could tell that the Prince had said. Jonathan seemed frozen in a state of longing to hear David’s answer.

David swallowed. He had never felt this way before. This must be how it was supposed to feel, “I love you too.”

Copyright © 2011 ChrisL; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..