Jump to content
    ChrisL
  • Author
  • 1,783 Words
  • 740 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

David and Glass - 3. Chapter 3

Part III

Loss

 

“Now you’ve really made a mess,” the King said not looking up from his desk. Jonathan stood in the office with a look of shock.

“Wha… what are you talking about?” Jonathan asked stepping back from his father’s desk.

“Don’t play dumb Jonathan! You know exactly what I am talking about!” King Robert slammed his fist on his desk. “You had to go and spread your sick habit to David!”

“I won’t stand for this,” Jonathan replied, sick with anger. “I am not going to let you use this against me for the rest of my life!”

“You are my son!” The King screamed.

“I AM YOUR SON!” Jonathan shouted even louder. Silence filled the room for a moment. Jonathan kept his eyes focused down to the carpet.

The King broke the silence, “You know why he’s with you right?”

Jonathan was surprised at his father’s question. He looked up with tearing eyes, “What?”

“He’s trying to get ahead… in his career. He’s got the highest position possible now, but with you at his side he could get even further.”

“It’s not like that,” Jonathan scoffed.

“Oh no? Tell me Jonathan, why would an attractive young man like David want to be with a disfigured person like yourself? I mean your legs are covered in slices and scars, your face has a giant gash down you cheek, and you are missing all of your fingernails,” the King said with a farcical caring tone.

“No… he…” Jonathan stuttered. He looked down at his hands. His hands had never looked as disgusting to him as they did right at that moment.

“Jonathan, I am not saying this to hurt you, I’m saying this to help you. I don’t want to see you crushed at the end of all this, when it turns out that David was just using you.”

Jonathan could not take any more. He turned around slowly and walked out of his father’s office, attempting to preserve any remaining dignity.

As his son left the office, the King’s giddy, childish glee surfaced. He could not thank his son more for solving his problem for him.

 

1

 

David had just finished button his last button of his navy blue uniform when there was a knock at his bedroom door. He opened the door to reveal King Robert standing there.

“Sir?” David exclaimed.

“May I come in?” The King said with a smile.

“Yes sir, absolutely,” David said allowing the King to step in. He closed the door behind him.

The King stood in front of David. He grabbed the torso of David’s uniform and pulled on it in an effort to straighten it out as much as possible. “There,” the King sighed. “How is the new position going?”

“It’s wonderful sir. I love it,” David commented.

“Family is very important to me David,” the King’s tone shifted slightly.

Nervous, David nodded in agreement, “Yes sir.”

“As I assume your family is very important to you,” the King continued.

“Yes sir, very important,” David replied.

“And I would for something unfortunate to happen to you family,” the King coughed. “I’d hate for something out of the ordinary to happen to your family if you were to continue this childish charade.”

David simply gasped.

“I know about Jonathan. If you want what is best for him and for your family I suggest that you fix this problem,” the King ordered.

“Fix?” David whispered.

“I feel the best thing would be for you to simply resign. Take yourself out of the picture. That way there’s no… distractions. No… temptations,” the King finished as he stepped past David and let himself out of the room.

David stood in the center of his room, adorned in his navy blue uniform, shocked and confused. He began cursing himself for this lack of judgment. No matter how much he analyzed the situation, he realized he had one possibility.

 

2

 

The day had felt longer than any other. David had not experienced anything out of the ordinary other than the severely troubling run-in with the King earlier that morning. Now in his room he wanted to simply be alone, to think.

A knock at the door sunk David’s feelings. He slowly approached the door praying it was not the King again. He opened it to reveal Prince Jonathan.

“Hello,” David answered. His cold voice surprised even him.

Jonathan did not seem to notice the tone of voice. He was preoccupied in his own thoughts. “May I come in?” He asked.

David sighed wondering the best remedy to the situation. “Sure,” he replied instantly realizing that it was a bad idea. He shut the door behind him. “What’s wrong with you?” David asked.

Jonathan caught the cold tone of voice that time. He had hoped that his father was wrong, but David’s seemingly undeserved anger towards Jonathan acted as a realization. “I’m not going to let you keep using me.”

“What?” David was shocked.

“I know I’m not attractive. At least not anymore. These scars are never going to go away. I know that!” Jonathan said, his anger increasing with each statement.

“Jonathan, you’re beautiful,” David attempted.

“LET ME FINISH! I know that you just need me to propel your career forward, but I’m not going to do it!” Jonathan shouted. “This isn’t what I want,” Jonathan pointed at David.

David felt helpless. At first he wanted to console Jonathan, to help him. To let him see that it was not true. But then he realized how beneficial this situation was. This way he could leave without having to explain to Jonathan. This way he would hurt Jonathan less.

“If you feel that way, then why are you still here? If you all ready know, then why did you even bother coming here?” David continued his cold tone.

Jonathan stared in shock at David. He had imagined David refuting the claims. He imagined David comforting him. He had imagined a future with David, imagined going against his father’s wishes.

David winced at the look on Jonathan’s face. The combination of utter shock and total pain was too much to bear. David hated the idea that he was hurting Jonathan so badly. But for both Jonathan and his family, David knew this was necessary.

 

3

 

David walked into the King’s office, and placed a sheet of paper on his desk. “What’s this?” The King asked.

At the same time Jonathan approached his father’s office but froze just out of sight when he heard David’s voice.

“It’s my letter of resignation, sir. It is effective immediately,” David replied. “I will be leaving this morning.”

“Excellent choice,” the King said. “Leave out the East Gate, you won’t draw any attention that way.”

“King Robert?” David began. “What about my family?”

“I am a man of my word, David,” the King replied. “They will remain untouched. I’ll even let them keep the elevated living they have become so used to.”

Jonathan gasped. The events of the night before instantly came into focus. He began to think fast. He ran away from his father’s office back to his chambers, he had no time to lose.

“Thank you, sir,” David said. “I will be leaving the Kingdom.”

“That is probably for the best.”

David nodded his head. “I am going to grab my things from my room and you will never see me again.” With that David left the King’s office.

 

4

 

Leaving out the East Gate certainly was the best option. Not only was there no press to be seen. But the sunrise provided a beautiful array of reds, oranges, and yellows. The warmth of the sun on David’s face gave him a sensation of a new beginning on the horizon. That maybe this could be a blessing. A chance to start over.

When David lowered his gaze to the road ahead a figure sitting on a large duffle bag caught his attention. The man was hunched over staring at the ground. His expression was of regret.

“Jonathan?” David asked.

Jonathan did not look up, instead he simply stared at the road. “I… I didn’t know. I’m so sorry,” he choked.

“Because I didn’t tell you,” David sighed. “I am leaving Jonathan. I’m sorry. I wish you the best.”

“I’m leaving too,” Jonathan replied now looking up at David. “If you’ll take me with you.”

David felt a pang in the pit of his stomach. Now was the moment to decide. Should he take Jonathan along, something that he had dreamed of, prayed for even. Or should he leave him in this palace with King Robert.

“Jonathan… I don’t know if that is such a good idea. I think it’s better for you to stay here.”

“Let me decide what’s good for me,” Jonathan begged. “Just tell me that you want me to come along with you. Tell me that this is what you want.”

David smiled, “Of course that is what I want. Jonathan… you are all I need.”

Jonathan smiled. David realized that his mind had been made up since he first saw Jonathan tied to that chair. This was always their fate, no matter what.

David reached out to help Jonathan up. Jonathan and David walked together down the road to whatever future lay in store for them. For the second time Jonathan began to feel hopeful.

 

5

 

King Robert knocked again on Jonathan’s door. No answer. He tested the knob, it turned and the door swung open. The room looked different. Slightly emptier, though the King had not been in this room enough times to know what was missing.

Lying on Jonathan’s bed was his royal uniform. The King began to notice that much of Jonathan’s clothes were missing. He began to put together what had happened. He dropped to his knees at the foot of his son’s bed. He slammed his fists down on the uniform and began to sob.

His son was gone again. Though this time the circumstances had changed. The first time was an act of pure horror, senseless violence. Now was treachery. He had failed his son. He had lost his wife and his son. He no longer had any family.

King Robert had never felt so helpless.

Copyright © 2011 ChrisL; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..