Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 6,587 Words
  • 2,489 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Paper Trail - 1. Chapter 1

“You're a real bastard, you know that right?” I could not believe the way the fed was treating Demarcus. He sat there in his dark suit, cut from the same cloth as every other suit I'd ever seen. That was what Marc called them 'the suits', nameless and faceless minions of the government. This one was a little higher up than your average g-man though, and puffed with that knowledge.

“He has to testify against the men that Mr. Mestrick had been working with. His associates are trying to restart the gambling rings that he ran and until they are prosecuted no one will be safe. They know he was the one who worked with us. The biggest threat might have died along with Mestrick when Mr. Whitson shot him but they know you still have names, dates, locations...”

I glared at Special Agent in Charge, Peter Daniels. I know, average name for an average man. He was maybe five foot eleven, in shape but any attractiveness he might have had was ruined by the bulldog look of his face topped by his non-descript dirty blond hair neatly combed to one side. He had been placed in charge of the investigation into Mestrick's illegal activities, the ones that had almost cost us our lives just a few months ago. He was working in conjunction with DEA Special Agent Anna Danbef, who just so happened to be an ex-girlfriend of mine.

Anna had been sitting on the couch placed at a right angle to the chair Daniels sat in. She'd been patting Marc's hand, the trapped expression on his face upsetting me for the last hour that he had been getting grilled. He hunched over, holding his stomach. His stitches had long since been removed, and the scars on his body had started to fade but the ones on his soul? They were still raw and bleeding, still causing him nightmares.

“Get out of this apartment right now!”

“Excuse me?” Mr. I'm in charge-Peter looked at me, a bit incredulous that I would speak to him that way. I had always been unfailingly polite the entire time I had dated Anna, back when she had been in training at Quantico at the same time he was. Unfortunately he'd always had a thing for Anna, so he detested me. It had driven him crazy that I wouldn't return his subtle jibes, which is exactly why I didn't.

“I'm sorry, let me rephrase that. Get the fuck out of this apartment right now!” I stood up, straightening to my full six foot two inches. I know my baby face, platinum blond hair and cerulean blue eyes tended to make me look mild mannered and sweet but I had a temper, especially when people I cared about are being harassed. Not to mention I'd just never done well around authority.

“This is not your home, Mr. Verset. I think you should have a seat and remember who you are talking to.” He'd stood up, but being shorter than me the looming bit didn't quite work out the way he wanted it to. I wasn't intimidated by the badge he loved to flash or the so called clout of his title and connections.

“The same man who almost flunked out of fed school? It took some pull from your daddy to hush up that little bit of cheating you got busted for, didn't it?” I sneered at him.

Peter's face flushed an angry scarlet and his jaw set, making his resemblance to a bulldog even more pronounced. His fists clenched and unclenched at his sides. I knew he was thinking on taking a swing at me, I almost hoped he did. Forcibly ejecting him from the apartment would be childish but satisfying.

“Enough, you two. This whole thing situation has been unfortunate and your fighting will not help Marc.” Anna split her glare between us. I felt a bit sheepish but tried not to show it, after all, I had just been trying to protect Marc from this ass.

“You do not tell me what to do either, Agent Danbef. I'll thank you to remember who is in charge here.”

“Yes, I will. And that's it's not you. It's Marc. Now, he has agreed to testify, albeit reluctantly, badgering him is not going to get more information or cooperation. And if you do not dial down your attitude I will be calling your supervisor. Mr. Arthon would be quite disappointed in the way you are treating a witness, I think.”

“I really don't think that is necessary.” said Peter hastily, an apprehensive expression on his face. I didn't blame him. I had met his supervisor at one of the weekend functions that I had attended at Anna's family home. Turns out he was her daddy's best friend and he had dandled her on his knee as a child. He was fiercely protective of her since her daddy died and would believe Anna if she told him Peter had been overstepping his bounds.

Anna had the chance to join the FBI but had opted to go in for training as a DEA agent instead. Said she didn't want anyone thinking that Uncle Arty pulled strings or anything. She loved her job though and she was damned good at it. Her integrity and work ethic stood her in good stead among her predominately male co-workers. Normally her Uncle guaranteed that she had good liaisons on cases she brought the FBI in on, but the other two had been shot the same day that Marc killed Mestrick.

I went and sat down next to Marc when Anna stood up. He snuggled a little closer to me, smiling a bit when I laced my fingers through one of his clammy hands.

“Look, we're going to go now. We're still gathering evidence but when the DA is ready he'll bring the charges before the grand jury. I'm sure the he will contact you soon to go over what you know and what type of testimony he will be need. Just, be careful, okay?”

Standing up, we both gave Anna a brief hug. She was a good friend. I saw her and Peter out and went back to Marc. He was sitting on the couch with his head tipped back, one arm slung over his eyes. His shirt had bunched up and flashed just a little bit of his stomach, the smooth slim waist showing above his pants was tantalizing. I could not believe how cute he was, even as down as he looked.

“Hey, it's not so bad. You always knew you might have to testify.” I tried to cheer him up. “How about we go out to celebrate your return to college? One year and you will have enough credits to finish your degree. You'll be a math teacher, just like you wanted.”

“Yeah, I guess.” Marc perked up a bit, putting his arm down and sitting up. His light brown hair flopped over his forehead, covering one of his hazel eyes. He was still slim, though he'd lost some of the underfed look he'd had. I no longer had the urge to cook for him just to put some weight on him, now it was pure pleasure in watching him eat something I made for him. In his tight jeans and form-fitting black turtleneck he looked sinfully edible. Not that he'd believe me, of course, but I certainly enjoyed convincing him how attractive I found him.

“So, what do you want for dinner? Do you think we should wait for Ry?” I asked. I kind of hoped the answer would be no, we didn't get nearly enough time alone lately.

“No, he said he was going to be studying late with Sarah and Trevor. He needs to ace his biology exam so he's been spending a lot of time in the library the last week or so.” Marc explained.

I beamed at him, happy that we would have some time to ourselves. I had just gotten back in town, my latest case had required a bit of travel to close up. I hadn't even been to my apartment yet, I had stopped in to see Marc first thing. My bags were sitting on the floor by the front door where I had sat them down after I saw who was paying a friendly visit. Damn feds anyhow. Wasted a whole hour of my reunion with my favorite math geek.

“How about you help me lug my bags up to my apartment and I'll get changed before we celebrate?”

Marc looked a bit nervous but nodded. I held my hand out to pull him up, giving a good tug so that he overbalanced and fell against my chest. “Oooh, that eager to see me, hmm?” Marc blushed and tried to pull back but I wrapped my arm around him, holding his captured hand behind his back. He tried to look away but I nudged his chin up so that I could look him in the eyes.

“I missed you.” I said softly before lowering my head to kiss him. His mouth parted slightly as he took a breath in before his free hand came up to twine his fingers in my hair, tugging a little. His lips moved eagerly on mine, my tongue slipping into his welcoming mouth to swirl with his, dipping in and out. I was very careful to keep my hands above his waist but I held him tight, bowing his body backward slightly. He let out a small whimper when I pulled back, smiling at his disappointed expression.

Sighing, Marc let go of my hair. He hugged me, “I missed you too.” We just stood there for a few minutes, enjoying the feel of another body, the warmth and comfort soothing that little ache I got when I had to go out of town away from him now. Marc was very into snuggling and kissing but the one time I had allowed my hands to roam to cup his pert little butt he had stiffened and pulled away. He apologized but something held him back, some fear or insecurity. We could talk into the night, snuggle, kiss but anything else made him cut and run faster than I could blink.

I pulled back a bit, laughing as his stomach rumbled. “Okay, okay, let's go.” We grabbed my bags and laughingly raced each other up the outside stairs to my apartment just up one floor and one apartment over from his and Ry's. I unlocked the door, dropping my keys in the bowl on the counter to the right of the door. My kitchen was my favorite part of the apartment, almost as big as the living room. Plenty of cupboard and counter space, nice appliances and a breakfast bar had clinched the deal for me when I moved in.

What could I say, computers and gadgets came easy to me, I enjoyed what I did for a living but I really loved to cook. I'd never want to do it for a job, but for fun? Nothing beat sitting down to a good meal and watching the enjoyment as everyone ate food I made with my own two hands.

I walked through my dim living room, the blinds were shut, blocking out the light from the parking lot. One wall was taken up with a nice flat screen and surround sound system, opposite them my comfortable brown leather couch stretched out invitingly. I was tired, but really wanted a night out with Marc. I grabbed the extra bag from him, indicating he should sit down.

“I'll be right out.”

“Okay.” Marc said. I left the door cracked as I slung my dirty clothes bag in the general direction of the hamper. I heard the tv click on to the evening news. Marc still didn't watch much tv but he seemed to like to watch the news, catching it every evening when he got the chance. I set my computer case down on the bed, and then stripped down, flinging the clothes in the same direction as the bag. Walking across the room to the closet I picked out a nice pair of black jeans and a cream colored ribbed sweater.

I sneakily looked out the door as I stood getting dressed to see if Marc was taking advantage of the view. He had an almost studious air as he sat watching the tv, resolutely ignoring the opportunity to sneak a peek. I felt guilty trying to entice him in such a way but I couldn't help but wonder if he was really attracted to me or if I was just a rebound type thing. The connection on an intellectual level and the kissing was great but it was like he was holding back emotionally and physically. I know that ass, Preston, had hurt him badly but things had been going so good and then he started to pull back recently.

Sighing, I pulled my shirt over my head, not catching the way Marc's breathing seemed to increase as the muscles on my chest flexed before I smoothed the thin sweater down. I finished buttoning up the fly on my jeans, slipped on some socks and a pair of nice shoes. Checking my hair in the mirror over the dresser, I finger combed it into some semblance of order.

I grabbed my computer case, taking it into the second bedroom that I'd set up as his office. A desk sat in front of the window, a phone, lamp and notepad all that sat on its surface. One whole wall of the office was lined with shelves, different types of equipment and wires organized neatly and labeled. There was a large locked cabinet on the other side of the shelves that I ignored for now. I laid my computer case on the desk and pressed the voicemail button on the phone, checking my messages. Miscellaneous calls were ignored but I hit save on a message from a prospective client, some bigwig's secretary from the sounds of the message. It could wait until business hours tomorrow.

When I shut the door, Marc looked up at me. “Ready to go?” I asked.

“Yeah. So, what are we going to eat?”

“How does La Bella Mia sound?”

“Hmm... sounds great! I love their eggplant parmigiana.” Marc practically savored the words alone, his smooth voice light and musical. I could listen to him talk for hours and be happy. “What?” he said, looking down and glancing at me from the corner of his eye.

“Oh nothing, I just really missed you.” My answer put a small pleased smile on his face.

La Bella Mia was just a few blocks away so we walked there in the crisp night air, holding hands. This was a small town so there were some homophobic idiots around but this was my neighborhood. I had helped a lot of these people and no one who knew me cared who I held hands with.

Dinner was an intimate affair, seated in a semi-secluded booth in the side of the restaurant. We had a nice glass of wine with dinner, Marc having his eggplant parmigiana and I had the penne arrabbiata. We savored a plate of tiramisu for two and strong black coffee to top off the perfect meal. Marc was deliberately licking his spoon with the tip of his tongue, making me swallow heavily when I saw him curl his tongue into his mouth, coated with whip cream.

I invited him back to my apartment after we walked back home, it was where we usually went to have a bit of privacy. Sitting on the couch with drinks, we snuggled as we talked about my latest assignment, the courses he was going to start, Ry, miscellaneous chit chat. My hand was idly rubbing his back, moving up to massage the nape of his neck. We began to kiss; lips locked together, hands roaming over each other's chests and backs. He went up on his knees, leaning over me as my head tipped back to rest on the edge of the couch.

Things began to change when he brought his left leg over me to straddle my thighs, never letting up on the kiss, as if he was trying to draw my essence out of my mouth to take within his own body. I was rock hard; he had never been this aggressive before. I moaned into his mouth at the feel of his hands gripping my hair, my hands slipped from his ribs to his hips then to the curve of his ass, trying to settle him down to rest on my lap.

Marc stiffened, breaking off the kiss abruptly. He shoved himself back off of me, coming to a stop standing a few steps back from the couch. He was breathing hard, we both were, but his eyes had lost that half-closed sultry look and were wide with what looked like panic, as if he wasn't seeing me but something scary instead.

“What happened Marc? Are you okay babe? I'm sorry if I hurt you.” I was upset by his reaction but my first thought was to make sure I hadn't hurt him in some way. He just shook his head, a small negative response. His breathing was starting to slow and his eyes were coming back to rest on me. I ran one hand through my hair, dropping it to sit next to my other hand helplessly in my lap. I knew better than to reach for him, he'd be gone in a minute anyway. Lords, I was frustrated with all of this.

“I'm sorry.” Marc had a guilty look on his face, like he had done something wrong. I was surprised; normally he didn't say anything but 'I've got to go' before he took off out the door. He looked down, taking a deep breath. “Look, I ah... I've been seeing someone to, well, to help me.”

“Seeing someone?” I asked carefully.

“Yeah, like a shrink. It's just my head is pretty messed up. Everything with Mestrick, my parent's death, the whole situation with Preston. I've suppressed most of it and it's been affecting how I respond to everyone. Especially you. I know you're not Preston and I really want to live my life but it's just... just...” He couldn't finish, tears in his eyes as his hand raked in the air in a frustrated motion.

“What? You can talk to me babe, about anything but don’t feel like you have to do this now. I know you're trying; I'm not going anywhere right now. We'll get past whatever is bothering you about my touching you and we'll be okay.” I was trying to understand what had him so upset.

“Thank you. But Dr. Deidritch says I need to tell you, tell you...” This time the tears slipped down his cheeks as his lips trembled. He shook his head almost angrily, “I can say this, I need to say this.” he whispered.

“Come here” I pulled him back down next to me on the couch, letting him settle a few inches away but keeping a grip on his hand, lacing my fingers through his and bringing his hand up to my mouth to lay a gentle kiss the back of each finger. “Whatever you have to say, you can say in your own time. I'm here and I'll wait, no rush, no pressure.”

“That helps.” he said, just sitting in silence for a few minutes, putting his thoughts in order or gathering his courage, maybe both. “I freak out when you touch me because, because with Preston it hurt.”

“What hurt babe?” I had an idea but I needed to know for sure.

He took a deep breath, unable to look at me. “Sex. He was the only one I was ever with and it was just so painful every time and he wouldn't stop, he said he couldn't, that I just had to deal with it and I would cry and beg him to stop and he just wouldn't, he wouldn't and now I'm afraid I can't be with anyone without feeling that way. I don't know how to get past it, how to get past him.”

I was crying along with him now, his stricken expression as he rushed through the words reinforced by the way he sat, both arms wrapped around his legs that he had drawn up to his chest. He had let go of my hand to huddle around himself and he was rocking slightly and I don't think he even noticed. His body was almost as tied up in knots as he had to have been inside. I longed to hug him; to soothe him but the way he was closed off somehow prevented me from trying it.

“If you said no and he didn't stop, that was rape. Sex can be uncomfortable at first but you should never be in serious pain like that. A real partner, someone who loves you, would never do that. I would never do that. I swear babe, you never have to fear that from me.”

He nodded, “I know. I trust you, I do. Dr. Deidritch says that a lot of my fears could be worked through but I'm just so afraid.”

“It's okay, I'm not going to rush you or push you into anything you aren't comfortable with. I will wait until you are ready or you want to try something. You are in control.”

“Really?” he asked. I nodded, rubbing his shoulder. He took a deep breath. “Do you think,” he paused as if to think twice about what he was going to ask but kept going, “Do you think I could spend the night?”

I was a bit nervous now; I didn't want to do anything to scare him away by accident now that I knew how serious the problem was. I really liked Marc and moving too fast might cause him to run from me, something I really didn't want. But if he wanted to stay I wasn't going to say no, I was dying to hold him in my arms.

“Whatever you want babe, I'd love to have you stay the night with me. Do you need to run back to your apartment?”

“Yeah, I'll grab some clothes and my toothbrush and leave a note for Ry if he's not home yet.”

“Alright, I'm going to hop in the shower so just come right on in when you get done.”

“Okay.” Marc gave me a small happy smile but a hint of his anxiety hovered around the edges of his mouth. I leaned in very slowly to give him time to move away but he stayed rock still letting me brush my lips across his very gently. “Thank you for trusting me with all of this. But I want you to remember, you're in control. Whatever you feel like, we'll do, even if it's just going to bed. I'd love to sleep all cuddled up next to you.”

Marc nodded, this time giving me a little kiss, nothing more than lips on lips but it felt surer than before. “I'll be right back.” he said as he got up.

I jumped in the shower, leaving the door cracked so I could hear when he got back. Somehow I still missed it as the water cascaded down my head and body, soothing some of my tension away. I gave a bit of a yelp when I came out of the bathroom with my towel around my waist to find him sitting on the couch again.

Marc gave a little laugh. “Did I scare you?” My laugh sounded nervous even to me. “Just a little.” Marc's eyes got a little glazed while looking at my chest, a hunger showing that made me blush.

“Ahh, I'm just going to go, um, get dressed for bed. If you want to take a shower there are fresh towels in the cabinet.” I said as I hustled to my room. Now Marc was blushing.

“Okay.”

I shut my door all the way this time before dropping my towel over on the dirty clothes pile. It was overflowing the basket; I really needed to do laundry. I made a mental note to do that tomorrow. I opened up my drawer and pulled out a pair of underwear, a nice tight pair of jockeys. Maybe that would keep my rising 'problem' under control. Overtop I put a pair of lounge pants and a worn t-shirt, both soft and comfortable. If I was going to sleep with clothes on they had to be comfortable. I'd had these since college.

I could hear the shower running when I went out in the living room and Marc's small bag was missing so I knew he was getting ready for bed. I set up the coffee pot to be ready at eight a.m., hoping we'd be able to sleep in a little. It was a weekday and I had that call to return about possible work so we couldn't stay in bed all morning like I'd wish but that's life, right?

Marc came out of the bathroom in a pair of shorts and a tank top, his wet hair spiking a little in the front where it normally flopped over his eyes. He dropped his bag down outside the bathroom door up against the wall. We stood there for a moment staring at each other, both nervous but neither of us willing to make the first move. Finally I just couldn't take it anymore.

“I, ahh, set the coffee pot for eight. I wasn't sure if you had to get up for anything but I have to do some laundry and return some calls in the morning.”

“No, that's fine. I don't have anything I have to do, but I could do some laundry. Maybe we could go together?” Marc said.

“Sounds good.” I answered. “Umm, ready for bed?” It was now about eleven and I was tired after having traveled all day.

“Sure.” Marc's was running the bottom of his tank top through his hands so I walked over to him and took his hands in mine. “Remember,” I told him “I am happy just sleeping next to you, no pressure. I'm not going to push you for anything before you’re ready.” Marc took a big breath and nodded, smiling at me as just a little bit of the tension in his body eased away. I led him into the bedroom, leaving the light off when we walked in.

My queen sized bed was tucked into the corner of the room, a window over the head of the bed letting in some of the silvery light of the moon. I lay down, scooting in towards the wall, leaving the outside for Marc so he wouldn't feel trapped. He hesitated a minute when I held up the covers then slid into the bed next to me, laying stiff on his side facing away from me.

The pale moonlight lit the side of his face and his bare shoulder but left the rest in shadow. His eyes were closed tight, his hands gripping the covers to his chest. I know he was feeling vulnerable but I couldn't just lie next to him like that. I moved over next to him, spooning him even as he stiffened. I reached over his body and gently pulled the blanket from his fists. He took a breath, shuddering as he exhaled. I pressed my lips to his shoulder, a soft kiss on the naked skin.

“It's okay,” I whispered, “I promise.” I lay next to him, just barely touching and stroked his arm, over and over. Gradually he relaxed more and more until he was cradled against my body sound asleep. When I moved my hand off his arm he protested sleepily, his other hand coming up to keep me from moving my hand away. I smiled, that little sign of affection making me happy.

I lay there, feeling his firm chest where he had tucked my hand, smelling the intoxicating aroma of his clean skin covered with the scent of my body wash. I loved that smell; it tightened my body until I was glad I had put on the tight pair of underwear. I was uncomfortable but I could live with it to be right here, right now, with Marc like this. Sighing I closed my eyes, tired enough to fall asleep within moments.

** ** ** ** ** ** **

The next morning I woke up to the soft brush of Marc's lips on my neck where he was cuddled up to me. Sometime in the night I had rolled over onto my back and he had followed, throwing an arm and leg across my body. He was tucked tight to my body, his face resting on my shoulder. He stretched against me again kissing my neck, a slow moist caress with his mouth that caused a tremor to run down my neck and back.

I rolled over to face him, “Good morning.” I said with a smile.

“Good morning.” Marc said his smile peaceful. I carefully fit my lips over his, stroking his mouth with my tongue, waiting for him to let me in. I could care less about the pillow lines on my face or our morning breath, he looked so mouthwatering all sleep tousled I couldn't help but want to devour him as much as I could.

“Mmm, thank you.” Marc said after a few minutes, pulling back to look in my eyes.

I was breathing a little hard but had to ask “For what?”

“This, you, last night. Not everyone would be as understanding or willing to wait.” His voice sounded a bit anxious as he said that, almost making it a question. His fear was naked in his eyes but I knew how to fix that.

“However long it takes.” I said simply, never breaking eye contact. “No matter what, as long as you are working on it and are willing to talk to me, to be with me, I'm here.” He closed his eyes, letting out a breath that he must have been holding. He lunged forward, closing those few inches between us, wrapping me up in his arms. I had been trying to keep back what was going on below the sheets, but he moved faster than I expected.

He stopped, looking up at me with big eyes. “What?” I said defensively. He looked down, incredulous. “It is the morning.” Marc looked up at my face, which must have been beet red because it felt as if my face was on fire. “So, none of that is for me?” he asked coyly.

I blinked. I had been expecting him to be upset or nervous. “Ahh, all of that is for you.” Marc grinned at me, laughing at my expression. He hugged me. “I'm not ready to do anything yet,” he whispered in my ear, “but the thought that you want me feels so good.” Saying that he ground against me a little, letting me know he was just as happy to be there as I was. I groaned, forcing my body to stay still, but gods, it was torture, sweet, but torture nonetheless.

“I guess I had better stop teasing you and get up. I can smell the coffee.” Marc said.

I flopped on my back and just lay there, watching him get up, an impressive tent pushing out the front of his shorts. He blushed and hurried out on his way to the bathroom. I sighed then got up too, reaching down to rearrange myself. Ouch... this was getting painful.

I went to the kitchen, getting down two mugs and filling them with some of my favorite hazelnut vanilla roast from the pot. Yeah, yeah... I know it's not manly but that Folgers crap tastes burnt and bitter. Give me my 'designer' coffee any day. I sat down at the kitchen table while I waited for Marc.

I was contemplating my plans for the day when he came out dressed in jeans and a long sleeved baseball shirt. The light green and dark green colors contrasted nicely, bringing out the green tones in his hazel eyes, making them appear brighter. He smiled at me when he sat down, taking a sip of the coffee out of his mug that said 'The next time you think you're perfect, try walking on water'. It had been a gift from a sometimes hostile ex-girlfriend but it made me laugh so I kept it.

“So, we still on for laundry?” Marc asked.

I smiled, liking the idea of doing something so domestic with him. “Sure thing. Just as soon as I've had time to wake up.”

“Aww, poor Nat, not a morning person?” I pretended to wince at his cutsie voice, holding my head as if it pained me.

“Not until I've had my cup of coffee thanks, baby voices make me want to hurl.” I gagged to make my point but all Marc did was laugh. Great, so he's definitely a morning person, I had thought it was just a onetime thing. Ah well, there were worse things I suppose.

I finished my cup than went to get my clothes together in my big laundry bag and get dressed. It was a bit wintry looking out my window so I put on some of my favorite broken in jeans and another turtleneck with a hoodie over top. Yeah, not so GQ but I'd be warm while outside and could take the sweatshirt off while we did the laundry inside.

Grabbing my bag I ran down to put it in my trunk while Marc grabbed his clothes. He came out lugging two sacks so I ran up the steps to help him.

“Wow, that's a lot of laundry!” I said, laughing. “Am I dating some kind of clothes horse?”

“As if!” he laughed, “No, Ry's home and didn't want to come but needed some stuff washed too. We traded. I'll do the laundry and he's going to wash the dishes for a week.” Marc fake shuddered, a look of exaggerated disgust on his face. “I hate the dishes!”

I laughed. Like as not he offered to do it, no bargain needed, that was just the way he was. We got to the laundry mat and shoved the clothes in the washer and dryer side by side, pushing the quarters in the old style machines. Gods this place was old but it was close by and open eighteen hours a day, a bonus for us but necessary when in business near a lot of college kid apartment buildings.

“I've got some stuff I have to do for college now.” Marc said regretfully when we pulled back into the apartment complex and I parked in front of our stairway. I reached over and gave him a kiss, smiling at him.

“That's okay. I need to download some files and return some calls. Thank you.” I said.

“For what?” Marc wanted to know, looking at me with his head cocked to one side.

“For trusting me and staying with me last night. I really liked sleeping curled up with you.” I said softly, getting lost in the soft look in his eyes as he stared back at me before a small happy smile molded his mouth into a bow. He leaned forward and kissed me this time, his hand on my cheek caressing gently.

We sat for a moment in silence then got out of the car, feeling a bit sappy. But I was happy as I pulled out bags out of the trunk and waved bye to him as I walked up the next flight of stairs to my apartment. My bemusement stayed with me through putting my clothes away and sitting down at my desk to load all the files on my last job onto my main computer. I always backed up my files, on my work laptop and my desktop, as well as keeping a triplicate version on a portable hard drive.

I came out of my fog when I checked my messages, a hang-up from this morning and the saved message from last night. I listened carefully again, but it was just a smooth woman's voice saying that I had been referred to their company by Allied Trust, a bank that I had performed a bit of security work for. They had some serious issues with someone messing with their financial reports, making it look as if they had falsified documents to get included in the government bailout plan. They would have had to pay back millions had I not caught the extremely good hacker. Turns out it was a pissed off employee.

You know, it seems like it’s always a pissed off employee. It really does pay to treat your staff well; the alternative is the low man on the totem pole who sees to the everyday function of your business really screwing you over one way or another. I felt bad for the guy who got the shaft but I got paid to do my job, so I did it. With the amazing false trails and cover-up files the guy had made there was no way he didn't carefully plan his strategy. Too bad for him I was just better.

I copied down the number the voice dictated on a fresh page in my notepad. Time to find out if I had some work to do or not. I picked up my phone, dialing. A voice answered after just one ring, “Saul Alterson's office.”

“Yes, hello. My name is Nathaniel Verset. I received a message from this office.”

“Ah yes, Mr. Verset. Mr. Alterson is interested in speaking with you. Are you available?” The same womanly voice from last night came from my receiver.

“I have some time now, yes. I can speak with him in regards to the case particulars if this is a good time for him to come to the phone.” I said.

“Oh no,” she said, “Mr. Alterson has left strict instructions that he would only meet with you face to face. I can have a car pick you up if you are available now.”

“Ahh...” I thought for a few seconds. This seemed a bit odd, but if the client was as big as he sounded this could be a good payday, something I needed. “Sure, but sending a car is unnecessary, I can drive, you really don't need to go to any trouble.”

“Oh no, it's no trouble at all. This way you can relax on the drive over, we know you just got in last night from an out of town case. The car will be there in half an hour. See you soon, Mr. Verset.”

“Goodbye.” I turned the phone off, a bit weirded out by the call. They had an awful lot of information about me, nothing I guess people couldn't easily find out for themselves but still, that whole thing seemed odd. Perhaps...

I stood up, going into my room to change into a pair of slacks. I added a jacket over the turtleneck and putting on a pair of dress shoes and then I grabbed my laptop case and set it by the door, before sitting down with a fresh cup of coffee to wait for my ride.

Copyright © 2010 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..