Jump to content
    cognac69
  • Author
  • 1,240 Words
  • 698 Views
  • 4 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Defining Moment In Time - 1. Chapter 1

A response to Prompt #694 - Creative - First Line
I'm tired of this, so I'm going home!
It prompted me to think of an event in my past and decided to share, maybe give you something to think about.
It's reasonably accurate and factual.

I'm tired of this, so I'm going home!

 

It wasn't said in anger, it wasn't shouted. It was said quietly, in sadness and frustration. The meeting had been friendly and informal, but left me disappointed and apprehensive about the future. I just needed to be out of there to find peace and think.

 

Leaving Charlie, my boss, sat behind his desk I walked out of his office, I felt as though I was ready to scream.

 

My suit jacket was draped over the back of my chair, picking it up I slid it on, everyone in the office was staring. Picking up my brief case I told my staff that I would see them the next morning, thinking 'maybe'. I left the office early, I knew that Charlie wouldn't say anything. Partly because I knew he needed me, but mostly because we had a good working relationship based on mutual respect and understanding.

 

I'd worked there for the last four and a half years, I'd worked hard and thought I was doing well. Hell I was doing a good job. I'd earned my promotion, I'd earned my pay rises. I was always early in the morning starting work before anyone else arrived, working late most nights, even taking work home, all unpaid.

 

How this company had survived for so long was a mystery to me. Most of the departments were in a shambolic state. The accounts department had to be the worst that was my opinion anyway.

 

Department Managers sat behind their desks arranging 'business' lunches, 'meetings' in the pub and the like, none of it anything to do with work. Section supervisors were no better, talking between themselves about what they had done the night before or their next holiday which were purchased at discounted prices through the company. At the bottom was the clerks, young and fresh out of school, who were fumbling their way through the day not fully understanding what they were doing. With dis-interested supervision and a lack of proper training they didn't have much chance. What they didn't finish contributed to the piles of paperwork left un-attended, often hidden in the mess.

 

This was a company that hadn't yet embraced any of the emerging technology. Everything in the Freight and Shipping offices as well as the Travel Agencies was still done manually, they didn't even have word processors still using typewriters! Thank God for the telephone or we would have been using 'tap wires' and post to communicate.

 

I'd started as the Credit Control/Sales Ledger Supervisor, it sounded good at the time but there was only me and one clerk in the section. It was like trying to put together a jigsaw puzzle with missing pieces. Incomplete illegible notes, unanswered queries, missing invoices, ledger entries not entered, and the list was endless. Needless to say nothing balanced. It was my job to make sense of it all and collect money that was due, especially what was overdue and my clerk hadn't got a clue.

 

Days, weeks, months of frustratingly difficult work later it made sense and the section was functioning as it should. I'd had to train my assistant, who luckily was eager to learn. We separated old correspondence checking what had been dealt with and what hadn't. Reconciled each individual account, tracked down missing invoices and unallocated payments. Then started dealing with unanswered queries, sometimes issuing credit notes and accepting part payments in settlement.

 

It was mentally exhausting, but we did it and the section finally made sense and was productive, generating faster payments from our customers improving the company’s income. Customers were happy, the company was happy and I was happy.

 

I'd noticed that as more of the 'Old Guard' retired, younger staff were hired to replace them that was good to see. Most of the 'Old Guard' had some sort of familial connection or friendship with the old Director's. But unknown to me they were gradually being replaced as they retired and sold their shares or passed them on to a younger generation.

 

Charlie had asked me take on responsibility for all of the accounts department. As the accounts manager I applied the same logic to all of the sections, the improvements attracted the attention of others who followed suit in their departments. The Birmingham office was doing well and there was a good atmosphere, for a time. Most of the smaller Travel Agencies and regional offices were closed, most of the work being passed to the head office in Liverpool and the rumours started.

 

I'd often spoken with Charlie about our respective lives, in many ways he was my mentor and I respected him as I did my Dad. He was approaching retirement married with two children, both attending university and doing well with plans to immigrate to Canada. He and his wife wanted to move with them if their finances made it possible. At that time I was in my early thirties, married with two step-children and one of my own with my wife. I'd always wanted to work with children, but wasn't sure if I could handle it emotionally. After starting work in retail I'd somehow migrated to accounts. It was good money and paid the bills, but it didn't make me happy. Like my Dad Charlie always told that I should follow my dreams to be happy.

 

On the way home I called in to see my Dad, he was always my 'go to man' when I needed clarity, helping me to put things into perspective. He rarely told me what to do, always helping me to see the options and make my own decisions, and then supporting me. Even when I went off the rails for a time he was there to guide me home. After talking everything over I felt better and went home to my wife and family.

 

When I got home I discussed my meeting with my wife and told her about the talk with my Dad, then made my decision and set about doing what I had to do. I got everything in order, made my plans and set things in motion.

 

The following day I returned to work feeling refreshed, I thanked Charlie for meeting the day before and set about my job. Helping the staff and the office prepared for the future. There was a lot happening and many changes were going to take place.

 

Later that year everyone in the Birmingham offices received their notices and were made redundant. Everything was being transferred to the Liverpool Head Office and going computerised. Charlie was looking forward to his retirement although he was a bit sad, he had hoped that I would take over his position as Company Secretary and Financial Director.

 

The following year I returned to university and after some years of studying took up employment as a Social Worker. Undertaking various roles whilst working in children's homes and local offices, working with older 'problem' children and children who had been abused. I enjoyed my years in the job and hope I made a good difference.

 

So when you have that day when you say 'I'm tired of this, so I'm going home!' seek out your 'go to man or woman' and get your clarity. You never know what may happen when you achieve a clear mind.

 

Copyright © 2018 cognac69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank you for giving insight into your life. I think it's empowering for everyone who reads it because you were brave to leave behind what felt wrong and do what felt right, even if other things might have seemed more practical in the situation. I think it can help other people to realize that their intution isn't something that should always be dismissed but be at least taken seriously. You were a strong person then and are now :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..