Jump to content
    Damond
  • Author
  • 3,945 Words
  • 1,016 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sync - 5. Chapter 5

That next day at school, Sam sat stiffly in his seat waiting for Kelly to show up. Kelly finally burst into their second period, making a commotion out of almost running over the teacher. He apologized and shuffled back to his seat in front of Sam.

 

“Are you and Ava going to Homecoming?” Sam asked timidly staring down at his completed homework that Dexter had helped with the night before. Kelly frowned deeply.

 

“We aren’t dating,” he reiterated once again.

 

“I don’t mean like that,” Sam corrected himself quickly. “Are you two going at all? Dexter wants to go, and…” He trailed off unsure. Kelly and Ava could come, but like Nick said, it might not mean as much to Dexter. Wait, did it sound like he was inviting Kelly and Ava along? Sam swore to himself mentally.

 

“I wasn’t planning on going, and I don’t know about Ava. I can try to go if he wants to go in a group or something,” Kelly offered and searched for his homework in a stack of papers.

 

Sam sunk lower in his seat. “No, I think its fine. I’ll just go with him. You’re not a big weekend guy anyways.” Sam let out a nervous breath. Well, fuck. He had just said he would go with Dexter.

 

Kelly only nodded and produced a half crumpled worksheet for the teacher.

 

Sam tapped his pencil nervously throughout the class, staring blankly at the teacher. The dance was Saturday, so that left maybe four days to ask Dexter, if he did. Either way would be short notice. He swore and covered his face with his hands.

 

It wouldn’t be that bad, would it? Really, people would just see them as friends going to the dance. They hung out at school already, so it wouldn’t be weird to show up to a dance together. But what if Dexter wanted to hold hands or something? No, he seemed to understand that Sam didn’t want to be out.

 

Before Sam even realized it, the class was over. He had to figure something out. After some more time spent mulling over the how, Sam sent his older brother a text. “Fine, I’m asking him to Homecoming, you dick.”

 

All he got for a reply was a smiley face emoticon.

 

When lunch came, Sam couldn’t get Dexter alone. Ava insisted that they go in a group together for lunch again. They were in the car; Sam figured he should be thankful for that, at least. He had to do something more than just ask. Weren’t there supposed to be flowers or something flashy involved? He would have to get something after practice.

 

Only, Sam still didn’t know how to do these things. He’d never asked someone he was serious about to Homecoming, and asking Kelly or Ava raised some flags.

 

Fuck. Sam hated to admit it, but it was turning into a nervous excitement.

 

They could actually have fun together at the dance. Friends could dance together, maybe just not during the one slow song played during the dance. Or hell, they could probably sneak away to some far corner of the school. Everyone else would be in the commons.

 

During practice, Sam felt on top if it. He had most of it figured out. He could buy some flowers or something, and give them to Dexter afterwards. Sam didn’t really factor in Kelly until they were in the locker room after practice.

 

“I’m going over to Dexter’s to get some math help,” Kelly said as he pulled on his shirt. Sam’s excitement deflated some, but he didn’t let it show. “Are you going to come?” Kelly asked and started to zip up his duffle bag.

 

“Yeah, I guess.” Sam had to make sure he didn’t sound too excited about that, either. He didn’t want Kelly knowing just yet.

 

The two drove over to Dexter’s house, though Sam was a little irritated that Kelly was coming over. How was he supposed to ask Dexter to Homecoming now? Sam didn’t even need as much help as Kelly. Instead, Sam ended up just staring at the dead black TV screen that would normally be playing Law and Order.

 

He could do something cheesy, like asking Dexter out in a way related to the show. After brainstorming a few ideas, Sam decided against it because of the constant sexual or violent theme. If Dexter didn’t get the humor, a lot of things could go wrong.

 

Impatient, Sam peeked over a few times, trying to gauge when Kelly would finally be leaving.

 

“If you have somewhere to be, Sam, you can just go,” Dexter said, snapping Sam to attention. Dexter didn’t look too happy. He had noticed that Sam was getting impatient.

 

Sam didn’t answer, but pulled out his cell phone and sent Dexter a text under the table. “I’ll be back later. Just want Kelly to leave.” Sam got up and grabbed his things. “I’ll see you guys tomorrow,” he said as Dexter read the text.

 

Sam dropped his bag into his car and drove off from Dexter’s house. He ended up in the floral department of a local grocery store chain, staring down at the bundles of flowers. Get a whole bouquet, or just one flower? And wasn’t there something symbolic about the color or something?

 

Sam stared at the options for a good ten minutes. Some of them had pretty combinations with tiny colorful flowers, and others were just regular roses, or other mainstream flowers. Well, hell. Sam really liked the little tiny white buds, mixed with some droopy looking flowers—nothing he knew the name of. He plucked out that bundle and timidly went to check out.

 

Just after paying, he got a text from Dexter that Kelly had left. Sam drove back to the house, only to stop and panic in the driveway. Dexter was probably already watching TV in the basement, and Jared would open the door. How the hell was he supposed to explain flowers to Jared?

 

Sam gathered himself up and approached the door. Jared did answer, and gave the flowers a suspicious glance. “Did you do something wrong?”

 

“No!” Sam protested quickly. “No, just… go do something else.”

 

Jared smirked triumphantly and headed back into the living room. “Just remember, I will not knock if you two are down there alone…”

 

Sam groaned, trying not to show his embarrassment. He descended down into the basement and could hear the shrieks of a dead body being discovered coming off of the TV. Dexter looked up only briefly to see who was coming before going back to watching. “I didn’t know having Kelly over bothered you so much.”

 

“It’s not that,” Sam grumbled and fumbled with the plastic wrap around the stems of the flowers. “I wanted him to leave so I could ask you to Homecoming.” That was simple enough to work, right?

 

Dexter looked up at that, eyeing the flowers when Sam held them out. “…I thought you didn’t want to go?”

 

“Yeah, but you want to go. And hell, it’s senior year,” Sam answered, shrugging. Dexter grabbed onto his wrist and yanked him down onto the couch. Sam barely missed kneeing Dexter in the process. Dexter wrapped his arms around Sam’s neck and shoulders, drawing him in for a tight hug. Sam let the flowers dangle over the side of the couch before dropping them gently to the floor.

 

“Thank you,” Dexter mumbled quietly.

 

Sam relaxed into the embrace, his worries gone for the moment, and glad that Dexter was so happy about it. Sam nuzzled his face into Dexter’s neck, running the tip of his nose and lips over the soft skin there. Dexter squirmed awkwardly, fighting back a small noise. Sam smirked to himself with the discovery that Dexter was sensitive there. They nuzzled for a few moments before Sam pressed his lips over Dexter’s.

 

Hearing heavy footfalls on the floor above them made Sam jerk back guiltily and retreated to the other side of the couch. Jared didn’t come down, but it had ruined the mood enough.

 

“Uh, what’s the dress code for it?” Dexter asked awkwardly, watching the stairs and still waiting for Jared to come down as well.

 

“Nice slacks and shirt is fine. No jeans, no caps,” Sam repeated the dress code the school had been promoting the past week. Dexter nodded stiffly; they were both still waiting for Jared to come downstairs.

 

“And… I’ll ask Jared if I can borrow his car Friday night for the Homecoming game.” Dexter ran a hand through his hair before leaning forward and picking the flowers up. Sam dared to slide a little closer on the couch, snaking an arm around Dexter’s waist, smiling.

 

“Thanks,” Dexter repeated softly again. “But aren’t you worried what people will think?”

 

Sam pursed his lips and didn’t answer right away. Dexter looked over suspiciously, nudging Sam in the arm. “We’re going,” Sam stated firmly, more for himself. Dexter cuddled closer and pecked a kiss under Sam’s chin.

 

“Either way, it’s fine, okay? Whether we go or not. We can do something together, aside from the dance,” Dexter suggested.

 

Sam shook his head vehemently. “No. I said we’re going. We’re going. Hush.”

 

Dexter chuckled and settled back in to watching TV.

 

***

 

 

“So you guys are going to Homecoming?” Kelly asked, oblivious, the next morning at school. Sam gawped awkwardly, thinking that his mention of it was long forgotten. Dexter raised an eyebrow, more than a little surprised Sam had talked to anyone else about it. At all.

 

“You and Sam are going to Homecoming?” Ava burst out in excitement. “Is it like a—”

 

Dexter slapped a hand over her mouth before she could even finish. Ava’s eyes widened, trying to pull the hand away from her mouth.

 

“Excuse us,” Dexter mumbled and led Ava off, away from the table and away from other people.

 

“Is it a date?” She finished hopefully.

 

Dexter pursed his lips, trying to think up an excuse for Sam’s sake. Ava was a friend, but as impulsive as she was, could he tell her and not have it get around school?

 

“Sam doesn’t want anyone to know,” Dexter admitted darkly. “I don’t know what he told Kelly, but Sam is in the closet. Far as anyone else is concerned, he and I are going as friends because I wanted to go and haven’t been to a school dance before.”

 

“You haven’t been to a school dance before?” Ava seemed more stricken by that than anything else. “Dude, it’s a right of passage! I went when I was a freshman even.”

 

“I haven’t,” Dexter repeated shortly. “That’s why Sam is taking me. And let me say it again: he’s in the closet. You do not tell Kelly. He probably won’t be happy I’m telling you.”

 

“No wonder he freaks out every time I get too touchy feely,” Ava wondered out loud. “I guess I should stop touching him so much.”

 

“I guess you should too,” Dexter chuckled. “And I told you—”

 

“I know, I heard. He’s in the closet and doesn’t want anyone to know,” Ava repeated dutifully, before slapping a hand over her chest. “I won’t tell. I’m not that much of a bitch.”

 

“You’re not a bitch.” Dexter rolled his eyes dramatically. “There’s just no filter between your brain and your mouth.”

 

Ava seemed more offended by that than anything else. She swatted Dexter on the arm and stalked playfully angrily back to the table where Kelly and Sam still sat. Sam looked like he was choking on a fly—their conversation hadn’t gotten far.

 

“Relax,” Dexter snapped and flicked Sam in the ear, making him jolt. Sam sent a hollowed look at Ava, who just smiled cheekily. She knew.

 

The bell rang, and Kelly hopped up to head for class. Dexter waited around as Sam slowly started to move.

 

“I’m not going to tell,” Ava said from across the table. “But you know, you just have to tell me to lay off if it makes you uncomfortable.”

 

Sam stared at her, and received another wake-up flick from Dexter.

 

“Yeah, sorry,” Sam answered quickly. “I just didn’t want to…”

 

“Didn’t want to explain why you didn’t want a girl all over you?” Ava winked playfully, but Sam only paled since she had said it out loud, with other people mingling around. “Relax!” Ava groaned. “This is the last I’ll speak of it, promise.” She looked over at Dexter. “Do I get to take you shopping?”

 

Dexter back stepped, horror on his face. “What? It’s not that formal. I have nice clothes at home, you know.”

 

Ava sighed. “Damn all the gay friend stereotypes you aren’t. I wanted to go shopping.”

 

“Depends. Are you going to buy me something? And ‘shopping’ is restricted to Hot Topic and Spencer’s…” Dexter gambled with her.

 

Ava perked up, but said she would text him about it later. She bolted off for class, and Dexter turned to face a still shell-shocked Sam. “You told her?” He croaked out nervously.

 

“She says she won’t tell,” Dexter stated again. “Ava’s cool, okay? A little over the top but she’s not out to get you.”

 

Sam nodded numbly and started to walk Dexter to class.

 

“The only thing you should be worried about is people starting to ask questions at the dance,” Dexter added on the way.

 

“You’re not talking me out of this,” Sam said. They were beginning to have this conversation a lot, and he knew Dexter was trying to make things easier… but Nick had been right, too. It was just high school. Sam really liked Dexter, so if he wanted to go to a school dance… well, fuck everyone else.

 

Sam just wished he could be as confident in that as it sounded in his head.

 

***

 

They parted outside Dexter’s class, exchanging an awkward touch of hands. Dexter went in right as the bell rang, and wasn’t properly in his seat. The teacher marked him late, but he was in enough of a good mood not to care. He was still a little pissed that she was there at all, and tried to tell himself that if she was going to leave it wouldn’t be instant.

 

Most of the class was spent in some sort of competition with the teacher—her trying to catch him not paying attention and so on. She passed back a quiz they had taken the day before, right after Dexter had finished the book. He stared down at the answers, reading them over in his head and trying to figure out his score at the top of the paper.

 

Kelly caught up with him on the way out the door after class. “Man, she will not give you a rest. Haven’t you been talking to the administrators about it?” Kelly asked, looking over his shoulder at the teacher.

 

Dexter shrugged moodily and fixed his backpack over her shoulder. “Hell if I know. I might go ask again during my off hour.” He slowed in walking and swung his backpack around, unzipping it and pulling out a piece of paper. “Let me see the quiz she handed back.” He held his hand out to Kelly.

 

Kelly dug out the paper from his own bag and handed it over, and Dexter compared them side-by-side. “The bitch,” he finally hissed. “It’s over the reading—answers only have to be right in context—but I said basically the same thing as you, and got them wrong!” Dexter scowled and stuffed both papers away. “I’m keeping yours for today.”

 

Kelly shrugged, not really having a problem with it. He never looked at those things again, anyways. They walked together for a bit until Kelly’s class was in a different hall.

 

Dexter couldn’t drop it, though. He got marked for attendance in his next class before asking to go to the office. The class was easy enough, he could catch up another time. He was too pissed to pay attention anyways. He stalked from the class to the office, where he spent a good hour with the vice principal. He showed off both his and Kelly’s test as proof of what the teacher was doing—or what she was trying to do. Dexter didn’t sit back and take things.

 

If anything, Law and Order had taught him many ways to avoid getting caught in a crime. He chuckled darkly at the thought, knowing of course that wasn’t an option. But hell, he could still scare her with it.

 

“I’m going to excuse you from her class for the week,” the vice principal explained. “I’ll see if I can get you in another class starting next week. I might have to change your schedule around some though, okay? There’s only one other teacher that has the same level of class.”

 

Dexter was silent at first. If it changed his lunch, he might not see Sam so much at school. But he didn’t have the patience to put up with the bullshit, either. “Fine,” he grudgingly agreed.

 

She wrote him a return pass, and Dexter went back to his class. He sent Sam a text, explaining what happened and that his schedule might change next week. Sam had the same thought, that maybe they wouldn’t have the same lunch.

 

When lunch did come around that day, Dexter explained a watered down version of what happened to Ava. Her best idea was to psych out the teacher in some way, and go for shock value to scare her. Dexter frowned disapprovingly. “And afterwards, she would hate me even more,” he pointed out.

 

Ava stared at him for a long moment, not pleased she’d been out-thought. “So?” Was her best reply. She was more focused on wanting to freak out the teacher than the consequences.

 

Dexter rolled his eyes, and could hear Kelly snicker at the two of them. Dexter shot a playful warning look over his shoulder, before his eyes drifted on a still sheepish Sam in the background.

 

“Kelly, take me out for lunch!” Ava demanded.

 

Kelly seemed to act shocked by the usual order. He and Ava started to bicker over it before she finally convinced him to pay for another meal of hers. She sent Dexter and then Sam a smug look, enough so that they caught on.

 

“I don’t have money to eat out,” Dexter mumbled.

 

Sam hesitated before speaking up. “He and I will just eat at my house then.”

 

The only other option Kelly had was if he wanted to pay for Dexter’s meal, too. Kelly sighed and agreed. Ava yanked him forward by the arm and began to drag him outside.

 

“See?” Dexter elbowed Sam in the side. “She just helped you out, and Kelly didn’t even notice.”

 

Sam grumbled something inaudible, but was trying not to smile at the same time. They walked out into the parking lot and to Sam’s car. Once they were at the light outside of the school lot, Sam reached over and clasped his hand over Dexter’s. They didn’t talk until they were inside Sam’s house, and he was fixing up sandwiches.

 

The house phone rang, and Sam glared over at it suspiciously. No one ever called the house phone. He wiped a hand carelessly on his pants before picking up the cordless phone and tucking it between his ear and shoulder. “Hello?”

 

“Ah, I’ve caught you home alone with Dexter haven’t I?”

 

Nick.

 

“Last I knew you were planning to ask him to the dance. Did you?”

 

Sam held back a groan and sent a distasteful look over his shoulder to Dexter, indicating who it was. Dexter smirked and let out a quite and teasing “ha.”

 

“Yes,” Sam answered shortly.

 

“Now, are you two going out to the dance, or just going?” Nick asked.

 

“I swear to god,” Sam complained. “I did one thing out of my comfort zone, do I have to do another?”

 

“So what lie did you tell everyone about you and Dexter going?” Nick was more serious in asking that, but it still got his point across. He wanted Sam out.

 

Sam didn’t even give him more time—he hit the end-call button and slammed the phone back into its cradle. Nick didn’t bother trying to call back, because Sam wouldn’t have answered anyways.

 

“What was that about?” Dexter asked lightly, but Sam didn’t like how it sounded. Dexter let out a sigh and slid out of his chair, making his way across the kitchen. He came up from behind and wrapped his arms around Sam’s midsection, resting his face between Sam’s shoulder blades. “What was it about?” He pressed again.

 

“Now he’s giving me shit about how I’m lying to people with you and me going to the dance,” Sam snapped and slammed the table knife he had in his hand down onto the counter.

 

“He’s trying to help,” Dexter said, but continued before Sam could protest. “But he shouldn’t be trying to force you out at his pace.”

 

“He’s being a smartass dick about it,” Sam growled. “I mean, shit, it was hard enough for me to ask you out to a public dance, but that’s not enough for him! Now he’s calling be a liar because of what I’m telling people…”

 

Dexter didn’t say anything to that. He didn’t know what to tell Sam. Say that he wasn’t lying? But he was lying, at least to Kelly. Hell, anything else would have been a lie no matter what else they said.

 

“Maybe we just shouldn’t go,” Dexter theorized again. He wanted to go, but he didn’t want to go if Sam was so paranoid and upset about it. It would ruin the point of the dance all together. But Sam was still determined that this was a big step for him, and refused to back out of the dance.

 

“No,” Sam snapped again. “We’re going. Just fuck Nick.” He started to spread jelly forcefully across a piece of bread, making the whole process of making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich seem violent.

 

They ate quickly before heading back to the school for classes. Dexter was apparently in a noticeably sour mood, and Ava picked up on it.

 

“What happened?” She asked, holding back some of her excessive energy.

 

Dexter sent her an unsure look before he gave in. “He’s just stressing out about the dance, and his brother his being a dick about it. I really think we shouldn’t go. The way he’s acting won’t make it worth anything. I’m really fine with doing something special, just the two of us.”

 

“You want me to talk to him?” Ava offered.

 

“God, no.” Dexter chuckled. “He’ll think I’m missing out and just be unhappy with himself then. It’ll… pan out.” He frowned and rubbed the back of his neck. Ava drummed her fingers on the table, but couldn’t think of anything else to say to her friend.

(2011)(Damond)
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It seems like Nick wants to be Sam's fag-hag. lol I think it's really cool that Nick is so, well, cool about everything, but Sam has to move at his own pace.

 

I think Ava knowing about them might make it easier on Sam to let Kelly know.

 

I think he was so cute buying the flowers, and I had to laugh when Jared asked what he did wrong! lol I think they should just go and play it by ear. See what happens.

 

I'm looking forward to the next chapter! :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..