Jump to content
    Dark
  • Author
  • 3,695 Words
  • 803 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Birds of Paradise - 6. Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The aviary was a spooky place at night. The songbirds all went to sleep once the sun went down and although the falconers and their apprentices lived in a dormitory nestled against the wall, most ventured out into the city at night. There were no guards, and few wandered the grounds at night. There was no need. Only falconers were allowed into the aviary compound. They ate and bathed within the palace compound, and the apprentices all had chores similar to the palace servants. Anything they needed they did themselves.

The city and palace guards patrolled the walls from their stone walkways high above. They trusted the guards at each gate to monitor the flow between sections of the city.

After studying the paths and habits of the guards for the past few nights, Cy felt fairly confident in his ability to avoid notice. He would blend in with all the other falconers going into and out of the compound.

Still his heart beat furiously, making him slightly light-headed, and he sternly monitored his breathing as he approached the gate into the palace. Each step away from Indivriar felt like a betrayal and he knew why the falconers were so lax about his imprisonment. Every loud noise or sudden movement made Cy tense, yearning to scurry back to his mate's side.

He pressed a hand to the bulges in the pouch he wore under his clothes, and pressed doggedly onwards. If he couldn't do this, then they had no hope of getting out of the city and Indivriar would die. Cy couldn't let that happen.

The guards let him pass without notice or comment, which was one worry resolved. They didn't know his face; or at least he didn't stand out from all the other men in identical garb leaving the aviary.

Past the gate he turned down a servant's street rather than shove his way through the crowded main streets. The city was more alive during the dark hours than the day due to the miserable summer heat and he didn't want to chance anyone recognizing him. Just bringing the chicks out of the aviary was a death sentence. While a person couldn't be killed more than once, Cy knew there were some truly gruesome ways to die.

And those were not thoughts he needed, he told himself sternly. So long as he kept his head down and acted like he was on an errand, he shouldn't bring untoward attention to himself.

The aviary compound existed inside the walls of the palace grounds, a walled-in jungle within the heavily fortified palace walls. In the beginning, the entire city was protected by the palace walls, but as the population expanded and needed more room, another wall was built surrounding them and adding another ring of protection for the shah. Each time the city expanded, they built a new wall until the entire city was a honeycomb maze of walls and gates between sections.

The aviary had one exit, into the palace, but the palace compound had four other gates leading into the Temple district on one side, and the nobles' villas on the other. Beyond the inner two rings, the city was a mix of nobles and poor, ale houses and trade buildings. Little markets sprang up anywhere there was room for a wagon, and the city guard patrolled the streets and walkways above.

There were more guards at the gate between palace and the Temple District than watching the entrance to the aviary. There the guards had only to ensure that the falconers were the only ones coming and going. Entry to the palace was not restricted, but they were regulated. They watched everyone coming or going, and stopped anyone suspicious, but they waved Cy past with only a cursory glance.

While the city had been built along straight lines and planned angles, the city turned into a maze of winding streets beyond the palace gates. Cy slipped away from the main thoroughfares to hurry down near-deserted and forgotten paths. There was nothing wrong with his memory; the back ways and alleys had not noticeably changed, and he reached Temple Avenue before the second bell of evening.

The ancient temples were a familiar and welcome sight. Cy had grown up here, running wild among the street urchins and tradesmen's children with all the other apprentice priests and bards. His masters encouraged them to get to know all tiers of life so they could better empathize with their audience. Every song had a story and a lesson, and a master bard would know which song to pick for every occasion.

The Temple of the Sun towered over the rest, its four great staircases resembling the feet of a great, mythical beast, its golden discus catching the light of the sun or moon and stars to reflect upon the street below. Two journeymen priests had the task of hammering upon the discus with padded mallets at each moonrise and moon set. Even higher than the discus was the tiny platform where the Night Singer stood or sat to serenade the night, calling for the sun to hurry upon its path.

The voice was not one he recognized, but he hadn't been back to the city in years, not since earning his double masters and setting forth on his quest. At this time of night, the priests would be alone in their chambers, eating the remains of individual suppers, meditating, or settling in to sleep.

The old priest and loremaster who was Cy's mentor had chambers near the apprentices' quarters, because he said that the energy of the young kept him youthful. Cy would have known the way even in his sleep. Trying to sneak would be disastrous in the temple, where everyone knew each others' faces, so Cy kept his strides casual and easy, his smile natural, as if this was something he did every day. It had been, once, and he shared smiles and greetings with the few servants he passed.

When he reached his master's door, Cy paused before knocking to gulp a couple of calming breaths and gather his courage once more. He had to trust someone; he couldn't do this alone.

"Yes, what is it?" he heard old Master Finley grumble as Cy'd knocking roused him. He opened the door and Cy grinned wearily and hopefully upon an old, weather-beaten face with a ghostly, bushy gray beard and bald head. Pale blue eyes peered out from deep wrinkles, his smile toothy and lopsided from a stroke suffered several years past.

"Cyrus!" the old pries exclaimed. "The devil you doing here, my boy? Come in, come in!"

Cy stepped around a stack of books and gently set aside another in order to sit upon the padded bench by the window. Books and even older scrolls overflowed the shelves and tables of the modest room. More littered the bed which Cy could not remember the old man ever using. Finley instead settled upon an old armchair beside the lamp. A rickety table with three legs held a chilled wine decanter, glass, and a plate that only held a few crumbs.

The watery blue eyes raked over Cy, and he said, "I spoke with your aunt when she first arrived. Dreadful scandal, that. Now, tell me everything."

His first conversation in weeks brought a lump to Cy's throat, but he cast his mind back obediently. This was not a proper bard's tale, lacking polish or eloquence; this was a loremaster's dictation of events as they had happened, with all of the truth and none of a bard's flair for dramatics. He ended kneeling beside his master's chair, one of Indivriar's sleepy chicks cradled in his hand.

"By all that's holy," whispered Finley. A rheumy, gnarled finger reached out, the barest touch of a fingertip to the perfectly miniature feathers on the chick's shoulders.

Then he sat back and closed his eyes around a mouthful of wine. Much as he had as a boy, though with more patience, Cy waited and fretted. His hand curled protectively around the tiny babies, sleeping peacefully in their pouch, their tiny feet kicking occasionally against his belly.

"This is a great risk," said Finley eventually. "These are the shah's birds. It is treason even for you to be here."

"I know, master. I went in search of answers, and I only found more questions, but this ...." He spread his hands helplessly. "I am caught up in it now. To turn my back would mean my death, and the end of any hope to end this brutal war."

The old master smiled. "I know that, my boy. I have not yet lost all my wits." Still his eyes twinkled and Cy grinned back despite the severity of the situation.

"I can't let Indivriar die, master."

Finley looked thoughtful for a moment, tapping his fingers on the chair arms. "No, I don't suppose you can," he said. "There are stories, my boy, of the almost mystical power a songbird has over his handler. Old stories," he added thoughtfully.

Cy knew there was no rushing the old man and he bit his tongue to stay still and silent. He listened as the singer's hymn trickled down to their window. One of the first written by the faith, the song was one of hope, a promise of the sun's return.

Groaning with the effort, Finley stood and hunted through some scrolls on his shelf until he found the one he wanted. This he instructed Cy to roll out over the table. The scroll was a map of the Southern tip of Parsu. The map was nearly fifty years old, evident from the signature and date in one of the corners.

"Here," said Finley gruffly, tapping a section of trees that to Cy looked no different from the rest. "According to Loremaster Nyla's notes, this was where your predecessor met with the women of the jungle and accepted their gift."

"You believe me, then?" asked Cy in amazement. He hadn't expected that. "To be honest, master," he explained as the old loremaster arched an eyebrow in inquiry. "It's so far-fetched, I'm not sure I believe it."

"Hmphf. Pay attention, Cyrus, my boy." That was the cue Finley used for all his students when he wanted them to memorize something. "Once out of the city, go directly South, to Derran. It's a small village, here. From there, take this road." He tapped a thin line snaking generally South-West. You will have to ditch the wagon; it's little more than a horse-track, but you'll avoid the army lines."

He continued to name the towns and villages as he traced the route, telling Cyrus which ones would be friendly and which should be avoided. The weather would only get warmer as they went South, and he pointed out viable campsites and water sources.

"The people are a simple sort, and for the most part can be trusted, but keep those songbirds out of sight, Cyrus. They belong to the shah, and are seldom seen by the likes of the common folk. Word of them will travel far and fast."

"Yes, master. What about crossing the army lines?"

Finley snorted gruffly, but amused. "You are far better acquainted with the layout than I. But." He paused to rub his chin. "If memory serves, a few years back, the shah ordered this canal widened, but that territory was lost and the river abandoned. If you cross up here, you should be able to follow the river the rest of the way without being spotted."

"Hm," said Cy, pursing his lips. Spotted by the shah's army, no, but the warrior women? That was their territory now, a jungle wilderness with limited visibility. They wouldn't see the women until they were right on them.

He nodded. It would have to do. Besides, he wanted to speak to the warriors anyway. He took one look at the map to impress its features on his brain before stepping back. "Very well, master. I shall endeavor not to disappoint you."

A gnarled, brown hand curled around the younger, stronger man's shoulder. "May your journey be full of sunshine, my boy."

* * *

He returned to the aviary by following the earlier route in reverse. Cy had a moment's fright when one of the falconers stumbled into him just on the city side of the palace gate. The man was not someone Cy knew, and he was quite intoxicated. He kept calling Cy a 'right fine fellow' (or at least that's what it sounded like), but the guards were evidently quite familiar with this individual, for they patted Cy on the shoulder in a 'commiserating with the hapless' way.

Dawn neared as he stumbled inside Indivriar's cage and sank into an exhausted sleep.

The next step in the plan involved acquiring Ries' cooperation. Ryubyn said that the illness originated in the jungle, so there they must go, but he refused to leave without his mate. Cy could understand the desire, but tracking the boy down had not proved easy.

He'd tried asking about the boy who'd been whipped and was able to learn his name, Ries, but anything more than that was met with cold stares and shrugs. Ryubyn was of little help, either, for he only saw his mate when Ries came to clean his cage, or when the falconers wished to punish the songbird.

The escape plan called for a dark, rainy night and they neared the time of year where the winds blew the ocean storms overland. Cy wasn't sure how much time they had, and now that he'd successfully contacted his old master, they had no time to lose. Beyond Ryubyn's demands, he needed Ries for Indivriar's sake. The little blue bird was fighting hard for his life, but Cy had not the knowledge to help him during their flight. Ries did.

He took his chance one afternoon, creeping up to the cage where the young man worked. The birds perched high above, one singing lazily about the heat and the other dozing. Most of the birds sat about limply, panting, but the younger ones played int their pools to cool off. The falconers stuck to the shade and stuck to activities that didn't require much effort as they complained bitterly to each other about the oppressive heat. Even the nights were muggy and heavy, weighing upon the shoulders and teasing with withheld moisture.

The men and boys who typically harassed Ries were noticeably absent for once, but Cy watched for them anyway. He trotted quickly up the steps despite the heat, eager to get out of sight, and crouched by the open cage door.

"Ries," he said.

The young man stood, having been scrubbing the empty pool on his hands and knees. He looked over curiously, but quickly ducked away again when he saw who called.

Muttering beneath his breath, Cy took another look around before darting inside. He peered over the pool's rim, saying again, "Ries!"

Above, the singing bird's voice shifted with curiosity, rousing his brother. They twittered interestedly, wondering aloud in their birdsong way. Cy frowned at the complex conversation, and then pushed it aside for now.

"Ries, I need to talk to you." He looked around again but saw no one near. "I'm getting out of here, and I want you to come with me."

He paused in his scrubbing and looked up, expression openly suspicious.

"Ryubyn says the illness striking the songbirds comes from the South. I'm taking Indivriar. And Ryubyn. I want you -- no, I need you to come, too."

Ries shook his head, dipping his bristle brush in his soapy bucket before attacking the pool's surface again.

"You're the only one I can trust," Cy went on. "You know the songbirds; I don't. I need food, and medicines. I need what you know. Ryubyn will help, but he won't come without you. Please, Ries! I know you can't talk, but tell me what you want, please. Anything I can do, I will, I swear it!"

Ries shook his head stubbornly. His chest felt tight and he frowned into his work, wishing he could tell this man to go away. He would not be tempted! He was loyal to the shah. None of this was his doing, and he wouldn't dishonor his family any more than he had already.

He shook his head again: No, no, no, no, no!

The birds followed the conversation with interest. Under different circumstance, Cy found their take on human body language quite diverting. Ignoring the speculation, Cy scrambled into the pool to grab Ries by the arms, giving him a little shake in his anxiety and frustration.

"Please, Ries." He held on determinedly. "I know your masters think me mad, but Indivriar is my mate, and I will not let him die. I cannot! I am a bard, Ries, and a loremaster. My word is my bond. What do you want? I will get it for you if I can."

There was something not quite sane about the bard, Ries thought. He'd done his best to avoid the older man, because he was too sharp a reminder of a fate Ries had so narrowly avoided.

"Ryubyn is your mate -- don't shake your head when you know it's true!" Cy let go abruptly, ashamed that in his desperation he was all too willing to physically abuse the boy. He swore bitterly, hands curling into fists on his knees. "My apologies, Ries."

Ries rubbed his upper arms, his eyebrows shooting up incredulously at the embarrassed apology.

"Would you rather wait until your mate, too, gets this disease and slowly rots away from the inside out?!"

Ries flinched and looked away from the bard. He'd seen plenty of deaths in his years at the aviary, few of those pleasant.

"It's a risk," Cy continued. "An awful one. Treason. I know this, but we are already dead men, Ries! What more do we have to lose? I can't sit around and continue to do nothing! Not when there might be a cure out there! If -- If we can find the source, maybe they'll know how to help. It's a risk I have to take, and I know it's unfair to ask you to share in it, but I must. Please, Ries, I'm begging you. If it's in my power to do it, I will, I swear, may I walk without rest in the glare of a thousand summers if I speak falsely. Ries, there's nothing here for you, surely you see that? Come with me. Help me. Please."

His voice caught in his throat and Cy pressed the heel of a hand to tearing eyes, sucking back a sob. All the stress of the past couple weeks suddenly felt overpowering.

No one could go back and re-do the past or give him a voice, but Ries couldn't go to anyone and explain that the bard was planning to steal the shah's songbirds. Ries couldn't speak; even if he did drag the bard before the masters, Cyrus could say anything he wished, and Ries could do nothing. He couldn't fend off the other boys who had always scorned him, couldn't defend himself against the accusations of his own guilt, couldn't stop the big, golden-orange songbird from attacking him, couldn't even make that stupid bird do anything, and yet he was punished, all because he had no voice.

The only choice he'd made for himself was to become a falconer's apprentice in the first place. By donning the tunic of a falconer, he gave his life to the shah, to serve him and protect the kingdom's greatest treasure.

There were no choices, but the bard clutched his hands and pleaded so passionately. The hope his peers and masters had tried to crush flared up again. Ries could choose this -- to try and save a life, or two.

"Please. Please, help me."

He looked up, at the songbirds peering down from their lofty beds, and wondered. Were the birds intelligent? Could it be possible that Rudy had talked to the bard? Told him things? Or was this merely the ravings of a mad man.

"They wonder what I'm asking you," said Cy, watching the boy, not quite daring to hope he was convincing him. "They understand many words, but our behavior confuses them. Sometimes we act differently from the words we say."

Ries' eyes dropped to the bard's.

"Songbirds can't lie. Can't bluff. Everything that crosses their mind comes out in their song. That's why Ryubyn doesn't sing. I don't know if they believe in love, but he does seem to love you."

Ries shook his head.

"It's true. He's your mate." Cy stopped, regarded the youth a moment, and then extended his hand. He'd pushed the boy enough for one day. "My name is Cyrus Zadryar, Master Bard and Loremaster."

Ries stared at the hand. More than a name was offered there. Friendship. Co-conspiracy. Partnership. He wanted to accept, but to take that hand would risk betrayal. Ries never put his heart into something without careful thought. Betrayal was all too frequent, and too painful.

Cy kept his hand out though his arm trembled slightly with the strain. He smiled gently. "I'm not asking for a commitment now. Just, think about it." He glanced upwards, frowning a little when all he saw were trees. He kept expecting to see the sky overhead, eternally disappointed by the concealing foliage.

"We leave when this weather breaks, for there'll surely be a storm. I've arranged transport, but I don't know what the birds will need. Can I trust you to do that?"

Lifting his gaze from the bard's hand to his face, Ries studied him for a minute. He did have an idea what would be needed. He had assisted the physicians many times, especially with the difficult to handle songbirds. Transporting the ill blue bird would not be easy, for them or the creature.

He pinched his lower lip between his teeth and slowly nodded. They clasped wrists in a silent pledge.

~ TBC ~
Copyright © 2011 Dark; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..