Jump to content
    Dark
  • Author
  • 2,791 Words
  • 736 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Birds of Paradise - 7. Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The storm broke with a BANG! of thunder. There was no rain at first, just the deafening silence after the first thunderclap where even the wind refused to blow. Then, in one great whoosh, the clouds roiling darkly above sucked up all the still, hot air that had crushed the city for the past week, and cold, moist air rushed in to fill the gap.

The falconers jumped into action, abandoning their tasks to shove their way through the howling wind and check on the songbirds. The masters, journeymen, and apprentices had different duties to attend, and they hurried to check that the songbirds were okay, that none had gone into a panic with the sudden change in the weather. They closed up the glass doors and stoked the furnaces, making sure they were stocked up against the coming night's chill.

Cyrus did the same for Indivriar, knowing that no one else would. Afterward, he stood on the steps of the birdcage with the doors closed behind him and watched the sky open up to pour icy-cold rainwater upon the city. Behind him, the remaining warmth and humidity turned the protective glass opaque with cloudy steam. Cy waited, pulling up the hood on his rain-cloak, and counted the minutes in his head.

Then he ran into the swiftly descending darkness and didn't stop running until he reached Ryubyn's cage. The glass doors were secure, so the falconers had already come and gone. Cy slipped inside, pushing off his hood to see. Ryubyn stood waiting by the doors, lifting his voice in song when he saw Cy, the music tense with worry, with questions, and with fears.

::I know! I know!:: Cy sang back, scowling at the lock that felt huge and awkward in his hands. He pulled an improvised set of lock picks from his pocket, staring at the lock mechanism in the brief flashing of lightning before choosing a stout, stubby piece of metal pried from a storage bin. He paired this with a broken sliver of knife left behind by one of the physicians. Inserting both into the narrow opening, Cy felt around until the stouter wire slipped in, and then poked and pushed with the other, jiggling both in his haste.

Picking locks sounded so much easier in stories than Cy found it to be in practice. He cursed his ineptitude, but the lock eventually gave in to something he did. He handed Ryubyn the long rain-cloak he'd stolen for him and this time it was the songbird's hands which shook in either nerves or excitement. He had hoped but not quite believed the human's sincerity when they talked of their plan. They were really doing this! He would soon have a mate of his very own!

:: Stay close to me,:: said Cy, putting everything back together again. With any luck, the falconers wouldn't find out that Ryubyn was missing for a few hours after his and Indivriar's disappearance were discovered. This would hopefully buy them more time.

::No singing, either,:: Cy instructed as he closed the glass doors. He looked over Ryubyn's disguise with a critical eye. The cloak covered the songbird almost to his ankles, with a hood to hide his eyes. There would be mud soon enough to disguise his feet. Not great, but he counted on the dark and rain to keep people from getting too close or asking questions.

The aviary was silent and lonely but for the cloaked falconers rushing about. Cy got to Indivriar without arousing suspicion, quickly letting Ryubyn inside. He'd hidden a small pack of provisions amongst Indivriar's things and he slung the pack over his shoulder under his cloak before dropping to his knees by the ill songbird.

::Come, Indiv -- N'Indivriar,:: he sang, getting his arm under the songbird's shoulders. ::It's time. Please. Just to the gate. It's not far. Just like I told you, a little walk.::

Ryubyn pushed back his hood and added his voice to the human's. The blue songbird was visibly gaunt, not that they carried extra weight like some of the humans did. Crust clogged the corners of his eyes and his nostrils. His feathers were dull, his skin hot, and each panted breath made Ryubyn wince.

:: Shut up!:: Cy hissed at the sunset-colored bird. ::He'll make it! He has to! You will do this, N'Indivriar. For me. For your chicks. Come on! Get up! Get up! Ryubyn, take his arm.::

Together they lifted the ill songbird to his feet. Indivriar whimpered, trying to curl up around his swollen abdomen, lifting one foot as he leaned onto Cy. So cold! So much hurt!

Cy returned the hug briefly, blinking tears out of his eyes and hating himself for pushing Indivriar away to stand on his own two feet. ::We have to get past the first gate,:: he told Ryubyn, pulling the third cloak over Indivriar's head. ::Then I'll need you to carry him.::

The larger songbird gave the human a disbelieving look. Anyone with a nose could tell that Indivriar was dying. One of the People would rip out his own heart rather than give his mate into the safekeeping of someone else. Was this what Ryubyn had to look forward to with his Silent Sky?

No, he decided when the human nuzzled his mate, singing in reassurance. His voice was anguished, sharing in his mate's pain, but also sharing his determination. The human's song bolstered Ryubyn's confidence. He would do this, because the song left no room for other alternatives.

Cy wrapped his arm around Indivriar's shoulders and pulled the songbird's hood down. He sternly told his mate that he had to stay awake and guided him a few steps towards the door.

::That's it. That's it. Just a few more steps. Let's go, Ryubyn.:: A few steps, a few more steps, just to the gate. They had to maintain their disguises until the got out of the aviary, because only falconers came and went. They might stagger back, but they always walked out.

::What about my mate?:: Ryubyn demanded, walking ahead to open the doors and look out. ::I'm not --::

::He's coming!:: said Cy sharply, praying he spoke true. He kept Indivriar moving, one slow step at a time. The rain hit them like a shove to the shoulder blades and if not for his grip, the small bird would have fallen. A whimper escaped his lips for the cold and dark and Cy shushed him with a low croon.

::No more song, now,:: he said. ::Put on your hood, Ryubyn.:: The songbird was staring up at the rain as if he'd never seen it before. ::Come. Our freedom begins now. Quickly!::

They stuck to the darker shadows, half carrying, half dragging Indivriar. The minutes ticked by in Cy's head, and he knew they were running out of time. Indivriar simply couldn't walk fast enough, and he was already exhausted.

Cy stopped them before they could leave the shelter of the last trees. He held Indivriar against him, mind scattering. The gate was impossibly far in this state. He'd waited too long; Indivriar simply wasn't strong enough!

No, come on, think! Think! He scanned the open area leading from the main compound to the gate, brows bunching together in worry while Ryubyn fretted beside him.

The minutes passed slowly while the rain continued pounding into the tree canopy, trickling down to plaster Cy's hair to his head. Indivriar shivered violently in his arms, and both birds were miserable in the cold and wet. There were fewer and fewer falconers exiting the aviary, which was good because that meant fewer people to suspect anything was amiss, and bad because the guards might become suspicious if they waited too long.

Ryubyn heard his mate approaching, instantly easing some of his tension. This must have been why the human lingered. He turned and would have swooped his mate into his arms but for Cyrus' barked command. Only the promise of unlimited days with his mate convinced him to obey.

The falconer apprentice dodged the big songbird and around to the bard, pressing something feathery and soft into his hands. Cy looked at him quizzically, and Ries mimed chewing, pushing the bard's hand closer to his face.

Cy put the leaves into his mouth grimacing but chewing. He stopped when Ries motioned to spit into his hand. The falconer then examined the pulp and, before Cy could react, shoved the concoction into Indivriar's open, panting mouth. He held his hand against Indivriar's lips to keep him from spitting, even as Cy swore and tried to shove him away.

Ryubyn's warning rumble brought Cy to his senses before he could strike the boy and he took deep, slow breaths to unclench his fists and calm down. Indivriar shifted in his arms, coughing a little but standing firmly on his own two feet.

::N'Indivriar?:: Cy questioned worriedly. He held tight to the songbird's shoulders and peered at his face.

Ries tugged impatiently on his sleeve, then took a few steps towards the gate.

Cy stared at him, blinking as the young man beckoned and took another step. Right. He took a deep breath and, entwining his fingers with his mate's followed. He looked back over his shoulder and Ryubyn was close on his heels.

Each step he expected someone to spot them, to see through their cloaks and call the alert. So close! They were only a few steps from freedom.

Then they stepped beneath the arch in the wall, earning a brief respite from the driving rain. The guards shivered where they stood together in a corner protected from the wind.

Ries was close enough for Cy to throw his free arm around the younger man's shoulders. They walked past the guards together and Cy waved, forcing a merry smile. The guards both scowled and one gave him a rude gesture, but the other cursed back, playfully wishing them a miserable night.

A few more steps, Cy told himself. Once in the palace compound, he guided them down the servant's path, busy with pages dashing to and fro on errands and other servants rushing to get home or to get out of the rain. Halfway to the next gate, Indivriar stumbled, falling to his hands and knees. The rain and drum of people hurrying past drowned out his whimpers and his gag as he spat out the remains of the leaf.

Mindful of the chicks in their pouch, Cy gave his mate into Ryubyn's arms, taking a moment to tuck the cloak around the songbird and make sure his face was covered. He didn't want to step away, but Ries' hand was again at his elbow and he turned, leading them along at a quicker pace.

There was a crowd of people at the gate into the Temple District. Runners jostled for space among common fol, nobles, and servants alike. Those without rain-cloaks pushed hardest to get through and Cy braced an arm over his stomach to protect the chicks from errant elbows.

Tradesmen hurried home, having closed their shops early, their apprentices and journeymen eager to take advantage of their unexpected leisure. Many were headed for the large, public baths at the Temple of the Earth. The Brothers of the Earth took vows of poverty, working to benefit the poor. They operated a vast humanitarian effort, including the large, steamy baths beneath their temple. Anyone could get in, for the price of a sermon.

That was Cy's story as well, but he quickly added in a trip to the Temple of the Moon to see one of their healers.

The crowd packed tighter the closer they got to the gate, voices rising higher in complaint. Cy held onto Ryubyn's elbow so they wouldn't be separated He could feel the songbird's nerves and although he was anxious as well, he leaned towards the bird to whisper encouragement.

As they got closer, Cy saw the tips of pikes above the heads in front of them. His heart sank, beating painfully. The guards were searching everyone in line. Those inbound to the palace stared at them curiously as they went by. Grumbling voices sharpened and there were a few, erratic shouts, but Cy didn't pay attention.

He should have known something like this would happen! He thought furiously. How could he keep the guards from searching them and avoid suspicion? If the songbirds were seen, they would be taken, and fussing would draw even more attention. This was it; their attempt at escape would end here.

Just ahead of them, but far enough away that Cy couldn't see what was going on, the crowd suddenly buckled, voices sharp with anger, and the city guards sprang into action. The pikes sliced their way through the mass and Cy found his little group pressed into the far side of the gatehouse wall as the crowd bunched and shoved first one way and then another.

He held onto Ryubyn's arm and inched them along, watching for the guards and taking small steps to avoid notice. There was screaming and yelling now, the clash of metal on metal and wood on flesh, but the rain muffled the commotion. Other voices raised in alarm, the noise escalating as the shock of whatever had happened rippled through the crowd.

Keep moving! Keep moving! he thought. The crowd snaked and bulged with the ruckus and they won a little further through the throng, the rain not hitting them quite so hard. There were no guards in view. A few more steps.

The wind howled through the archway, sending rain sideways and whipping up under cloaks and hoods. Lightning lit the sky in brief flashes and booming thunder that drowned out normal conversation and made the songbirds startle.

A few more steps! Rain hit Cy's arm and shoulder as he emerged on the far side, easing past the gates. No one stopped them; no one looked their way.

There were more guards here, but their attention was for keeping traffic into the palace moving at a steady pace. Cy waited for them to notice them, but their backs remained turned.

He pulled Ryubyn further. Indivriar's whimper as the rain slicked his exposed legs made Cy cringe, expecting an iron hand upon his shoulder. He froze, but nothing happened except a brief jostle as the crowd on Ryubyn's other side bumped into him.

But nothing happened. Behind them, the sounds of fighting increased and he looked back to see the crowd pushing and shoving, and the guards' pikes flashing in the flickering torch light. The other guards also looked over warily. After a quick consult, they halted progression of their line and most went to help the other regain order.

Cy didn't care. He hustled his charges down the street towards the Temple District as fast as they could go without slipping and sliding in the cold, muddy roads. The lamp lighters were out, but they wouldn't stay lit even in their protected glass covers. The wind was too strong.

He had never been so happy to see the claw-footed beast that was the Temple of the Sun.

Around back by the stables stood a small, covered wagon and two placid (if pitiful-looking) horses. Even when the humans jumped from the snapping and cracking of the weather, the two mares only shifted from foot to foot lazily. The man at their head lifted a covered, sputtering lantern.

"Brother Cyrus?" he asked of the small group appearing by his side in the gloom.

"Aye, it's me," he answered in between thunderclaps.

"And glad I am to hear it! This way." He opened the back of the wagon and shoved the crates to one side. "Here. Get the little ones inside. There's space in the back." He waited until three of the sodden, silent individuals climbed inside before moving the crates back into place.

He thumped one of the crates and held up his lantern, nodding to himself. They'd pass inspection.

"Take the West Road," he told Cyrus. "You're expected -- well, I am, anyway -- to deliver these supplies to the Abby in Supra. It's the new manuscripts, so don't let those stupid guards open anything." He hung the lantern from its hook in the back and lashed the canvas coverings down securely.

"Understood," said Cy, watching him carefully so he could mimic his actions later if need be. "And you are?"

"Call me Xak. You are now Brother Lopez, on your way to the abbey with their books. I'll see you again at the crossroads near Bridz to exchange wagons." He held out his hand. "Good fortune, Brother." He skipped the normal journey greetings with a grin for the miserable weather. "See you tomorrow!"

~ TBC ~
Copyright © 2011 Dark; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..