Jump to content
    David McLeod
  • Author
  • 361 Words
  • 2,490 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Pilots - 11. Search Mission

Turbulence buffeted the DHC-2 Beaver. The radio direction finder showed an emergency beacon nearby. Paul held firmly to the wheel. Beside him, Larry split his attention between a map and the instruments. “I’ve got our location,” Larry called over the engine. “The beacon’s somewhere on the south slope of that peak. No name on the map.”

“Call it in,” Paul said. “I’ll move in a little closer—see if we can spot wreckage.”

Larry nodded, and keyed the radio. “J’ville Sheriff, J’ville Sheriff, this is Auxiliary Deputy Bowen on tac-one. Beacon positive south slope of peak at coordinates…” The boy read off the latitude and longitude, released the mike key, and waited for a reply.

“Nothing!” he said. “I don’t think I got through.”

“Try guard frequency,” Paul said, as he moved the aircraft closer to the mountain.

Larry switched the radio to an aeronautical frequency that was monitored—guarded—by many aircraft and most aeronautical ground facilities.

“No answer,” he reported.

“Try your PDA,” Paul said. Larry looked doubtful, but keyed in 911.

“It’s ringing!” he cried. He was little more than half-way through his report to the dispatcher when he heard a sharp crack. As Larry blacked out, he smelled cinnamon.

*****

The dispatcher at the county 911 center played the tape again. “This is Auxiliary Sheriff’s Deputy Bowen. We have a positive crash beacon on the south slope of a peak at coordinates—” The voice on the tape stopped abruptly; there was no hiss, no crackle, no sound at all.

“We know where they were,” the technician said. “Bowen’s PDA was GPS-equipped. The beacon is almost certainly there.” He pointed to the map.

“If I know Paul, he would have been making s-turns from the top of the mountain toward the bottom, looking for wreckage or survivors,” Deputy Davis said. “That’s standard procedure, and he was strictly by-the-book.”

*****

The ground rescue team found the survivors of the first crash: a doctor from Salt Lake City and his family. Of the plane that carried the two auxiliary deputies, there was no sign. They heard no beacon. They found no wreckage. They found no survivors. Ever.

Copyright © 2011 David McLeod; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..