Jump to content
    David McLeod
  • Author
  • 6,277 Words
  • 1,878 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sword of the MacLachlan - 11. Return To Arcadia

Their first stop was Bowling Green. James’ family was happy for his safe return, and that of his companions. As soon as they arrived, James’ father handed the boy a letter. James’ face grew more and more somber as he read.

My Dear Young Friend,

I was so very happy to hear from you. Your service to the Light and the care you have taken of your ward, Kenneth, do you proud.

If only things here were as straightforward. My old nemesis continues to frustrate my every effort. His followers, although small in number (about 20) are becoming more open and vocal in their efforts to dilute our commitment to the Light. I still have the confidence of the men with whom we met during your last visit, although I cannot share my troubles with them: they have enough of their own, and I must clean my own house if I am to be of use to them.

I do not think it wise for you to visit me should your journey bring you again to Arcadia. Rather, check your friend the Leather Man for information, and leave a message for my young A telling us that you have arrived and where you may be reached.

May the Light be with you, A.

“I don’t like the looks of this…apparently Senshen is openly defying Alten, now. There must be some way we can help him,” James said after sharing the contents of the letter with the others.

*****

“I think that the prince needs to know that we’ll be escorting the atheling of a people he’s never heard of, and a new Arcadian duke to see him. It would be impolite and impolitic to show up at his doorstep without warning him,” Patrick said. “What do you think of this letter to Cadfael,” he asked the others.

My honored friend and mentor,

Since I last wrote, a number of things have happened of which you and your senior patron need be aware.

En route from Bowling Green to Tor Myddin we met members of a kingdom of dwarves who live in the mines under western Arcadia and on farm and forest lands above the mines. They are the Cordillera, and they trace their lineage to long before the last Great War. Their atheling and his companion travel with us to Arcadia with letters and treaty offers.

We were successful in destroying the false baron in large part because the boy, Ivan, is the true Duke MacLachlan. He was able to wield a magical sword that had belonged to that family for millennia. The false baron is dead as are all of the trolls in his army. Some surviving humans were released under oath not to take up arms against Arcadia or Elvenhold…we simply had no other way of dealing with them other than executing them, and we could not bring ourselves to do that.

We have arrived in Bowling Green, and will remain here for some time after dispatching this letter, primarily to give you opportunity to study the news we’ve presented herein.

Ivan intends to press a claim to the titles, the castle, and the lands. There is no doubt that he is the hereditary Duke MacLachlan, as well as baron. Both claims stem from before the Arcadian Meritocracy, and I do not think they can be denied. There is likewise no doubt that he is the lineal descendant of the original duke. The sympathy of the magical sword for him was incredible, and I’d be surprised if sensitive mages in Arcadia did not hear the sound when he first held it in the presence of his enemies. One of the books the mage Marcus Chamberlain gave me contains Ivan’s genealogy which appears to have been recorded contemporaneously, making it a powerful voice in his behalf. Further, he was able to open the mage-locked door to the castle’s treasure room…something that the false baron and his minions had apparently been unable to do by magical or mundane means despite intense efforts over a span of many years.

Ivan understands that he would be expected to swear fealty to Prince Auric. He seems quite comfortable with this notion.

His status as a boy would, of course, cause a problem, as he cannot rule in his own right, and must have a regent until he becomes a tween. He is only recently a boy, so this will likely not be for some decades.

I regret the considerable trouble we have caused you.

Patrick

“I like the last line,” Alan said. “This will surely turn a lot of heads in Arcadia!”

*****

The sun cut the horizon at the northern edge of the Sunrise Isles, casting long shadows behind them as the companions approached the western gate of Arcadia. The boys had been too excited to sleep, and had broken camp well before dawn.

“Kenneth and I should see Alten. I’ll first check with the cobbler for messages. We’ll likely see you at Alan’s father’s house tomorrow morning,” James said as the companions and the others parted a short distance from the city gates.

“I hope your father doesn’t mind all these guests,” Patrick said, looking around.

*****

“Correll gave me this…from Alten,” James said, holding a folded and sealed note. He broke the seal, and read, “It is not safe for you here. Go to your friend’s father’s house and wait. A.”

“He wants us to go to Alan’s home,” Kenneth said.

“Yes,” James replied, “but first…Alten must know we have arrived.” He handed a hastily written note to Kenneth. “It would not do for me to appear at Correll’s shop again. Please give this to him, and ask that he get it to Arne…secretly but swiftly.”

*****

“Please tell Sir Aaron that more friends of Alan are here,” James told the guard at the entrance to the palace complex.

The guard gestured to another soldier, who ran across the street to the door to Sir Aaron’s house.

“James! Kenneth!” Alan called, “You’re early. We’ve just arrived. Is there a problem?”

“Yes…there may be. Here,” James handed Alan the note from Alten. “Have you room?”

“Of course…my esteemed father has opened an entire wing to us…let’s see to your horses.”

The boys were hardly given time to bathe before Sir Aaron herded them to the Privy Chamber. “He received your letter,” Sir Aaron said to Patrick. “I’ve never laughed as hard as I did at the last line.” Seeing the apprehensive look on Patrick’s face, he added, “Prince Auric laughed, too, once he realized you were pulling his leg.”

Henry, the squire from the Secretary of State’s Office, was the only one in the Privy Chamber. Patrick had asked James to make the introductions.

“Prince Taam, may I present Squire Henry, a friend,” James offered.

Henry bowed, “Your Royal Highness. Prince Auric instructs me to bid you welcome.”

“Thank you for your prince’s welcome, Henry, but as you are a friend of James, please call me Taam. This is my companion, Kaam.”

“Ivan, this is Henry,” James continued, after Henry had greeted Kaam.

Henry bowed again, not quite as deeply, but very formally. “Your Grace, Prince Auric instructed me likewise to bid you welcome.”

Patrick let out the breath he’d been holding. The only reason that Henry would have addressed Ivan thus was that Prince Auric had determined to recognize the boy’s claims—at least, that he would recognize one of them. Your Grace was an address reserved for dukes.

After introductions had been made, Henry invited the companions to be seated. “Sir Aaron’s message that you had arrived reached the prince in the audience chamber. Rather than cause questions by abruptly terminating the audience, he sent me to meet you, and to ask your patience.” Turning to Patrick, he continued. “You may wonder about the absence of certain other people; however, for reasons he will reveal later, the prince wanted to meet with you in private.”

Refreshments had been brought, and the companions were enjoying a twice-delayed breakfast, when Prince Auric entered the room accompanied by two men.

This time, Henry performed the introductions, and Prince Auric greeted Prince Taam warmly. Can’t put my finger on it, Patrick thought, but there’s something. Yes, I see…his manner makes it clear that he considers Prince Taam an equal in honor…even though he must know that Taam’s father’s kingdom is merely a dot on the map of Arcadia. That’s an awesome talent. By the time Patrick had puzzled through this, Henry was introducing Ivan.

“My Lord, may I present His Grace, Ivan, Duke MacLachlan,” Henry said.

Ivan bowed. Right nicely, Patrick thought. Marcus taught him well.

“My Lord,” Ivan said, as he’d been carefully rehearsed, “I offer you the sword and loyalty of the MacLachlan.”

Breaking from the words he’d memorized, the boy added, “…although that’s really not much more than me…” His voice trailed off.

“Your Grace,” Auric replied, “Arcadia gratefully accepts your sword and your loyalty.”

Henry’s introductions included the two men who had accompanied Prince Auric: Henry’s own liege, the Secretary of State, and a cleric who was Secretary to the Privy Council.

*****

Prince Auric had called a break in the meeting. More refreshments were brought in, and the boys eagerly attacked the table. Patrick retired to a bench on one side of the room with a mug of coffee. After a moment, Prince Auric, bearing his own coffee, sat beside him.

“You have had a pensive look on your face all morning,” Auric said quietly to Patrick. “What’s troubling you?”

“My Lord, I was happy when Henry greeted Ivan as Your Grace, for I knew it meant that you had accepted his claim to the duchy. You have since made it clear that his claim to the baronetcy also would be accepted; but nothing that was discussed today justified that claim. I merely wondered what evidence you had found.”

“The evidence was contained in your letter,” Auric said.

The prince smiled at the stunned elf. “There is no document in Arcadia I would trust more than your letter, and no person in whom I have more confidence.”

*****

Henry and his superior, the Secretary of State, left with Taam and Kaam for separate discussions. When the door closed behind them, a tap of the gavel on the bell signaled the resumption of the meeting.

“On another matter,” Prince Auric continued, “the companions’ connection with Ivan and your adventure driving out the false baron have become too widely known for you to continue as secret agents. If you were to continue as you have, you could expose some of our mutual friends.” At Ivan’s puzzled look, the prince added, “Ivan, the boys who helped you regain your heritage are…well, spies…working for the Light, and for Arcadia. You’ll need a spy network, too. Something else we need to talk about.”

After making a note, Auric looked up and addressed the entire assembly, “And I charge you all on your oaths and your duty to the Light to speak of spying to no one who is not present in this chamber. Patrick, this obviously does not pertain to certain persons already known to you.”

When all present had signaled their understanding, Prince Auric continued, “I’ve discussed the matter with the Privy Council, and we are in agreement that the companions should now receive the recognition and honors that have been secret for so long. It will take at least three months to prepare for Ivan’s investiture. There are people who should be here, but who have long distances to travel. However, I will hold court before then to recognize your accomplishments.

“Alan, James, and Kenneth are citizens of Arcadia, so I have the privilege of honoring you.

“Patrick accepted Arcadian citizenship in addition to elven citizenship when he began service with Master William. I have the privilege of honoring you. Darryn and Greyeyes, since you are not my subjects, I cannot do so; however, I have communicated your deeds to King Oberon, and await his reply.

“Your companion, Thom, will also be honored.”

The prince sat silently for a moment, and then added, “The honors you will receive will be from Arcadia. Please know, too, that you have my personal gratitude. You have risked much, and you have accomplished much. You have gained much, but you have lost much as well. Not only Thom, but also an innocence that you should have been allowed to hold for many more years. Unfortunately, destiny and the forces of Darkness have not allowed that. Thank you.”

The prince stood. All the boys stood, as well, and waited quietly as Prince Auric left the chamber.

As soon as the door closed, Darryn and Greyeyes badgered the others. “You were spies? You didn’t tell us…”

“We had been…well, spies is as good a word as any…before we met you,” Patrick said. “We had been sworn to secrecy. When we met you, we were on our own adventure…to find out about the MacLachlans, and strike a blow at the false baron. All that we told you was true. The only thing we didn’t tell you was our past, and that we could have been called upon by the prince or his agents.”

“But you’re not spies, anymore?” Greyeyes asked.

“I guess not,” Alan said.

Patrick cautioned, “If it were known that we had been spies, the people we worked with could be in danger, so you must never tell anyone what you know of this matter.”

“Too bad,” Darryn said. “I should rather like to have been a spy.”

*****

A page appeared at the door to the companions’ quarters. “James of Bowling Green is summoned,” the boy said. “Is he here?”

James nodded. “Who asks for me?”

“I know not, my Lord,” the page replied. “Only that the seneschal said to urge you to come in haste.”

The page showed James to a room, then left, closing the door behind himself. At the sound of the closing door, a figure that had been hidden in the shadows stepped into the light.

“Alten!” James gasped, rushing to greet his mentor and friend. “What mystery you present! I’m glad you’re safe! How is Arne? And Martin? And Dan and Kevin? Are they safe? Why could Kenneth and I not come to the temple?”

“All are well,” Alten said. “Please, sit. I have been working late hours, and I tire easily.

“Senshen grows bolder, but he dare not attack me or Arne. Your connection with the twins Dan and Kevin was concealed from him, and they were warned not to speak of it, so they are safe. It is you and Kenneth of whom Senshen is…well, jealous. He has become aware…as is the entire city…of your connection with the newly-discovered duke…and now, an atheling. He disliked you before; he hates you, now.

“He is a vine, trying to climb to the top of a tree, toward the sun. He would, however, smother the tree in his efforts, and bring both the tree and himself to ruin. Unfortunately, he does not see that. All he sees is that you and Kenneth have climbed higher than he.” Alten sighed.

“But how does he…how does everyone…know these things?” James asked.

“The brigands you…or rather Duke Ivan…released. They bore stories, and told of a new duke, a magical sword, and an amazing band of adventurers. The stories likely grew with the telling, but what you did was still quite wonderful…I’d like to hear the truth of it…”

 

The stories of the Cordillera and the MacLachlan had swept the capital city, and the companions were recognized wherever they went. At Edo’s school, the boys mobbed them, demanding that Alan tell them of the killing of the false baron. Master Edo gave up trying to maintain order, and declared training suspended for the day. “But one day, only!” he insisted.

After the first telling, some of the boys pressed Alan for a more detailed reenactment of the scene in the throne room. Patrick demurred. “Perhaps we should go, now,” he suggested.

“Thank you,” Alan said. “But it will honor Thom to tell of his death.”

Patrick nodded, and stepped away, finding a seat on the low wall that separated the first floor gallery from the exercise yard. Alan positioned several of the students, assigning roles, and asking for a wooden practice sword for the boy who would take Kenneth’s part.

Patrick’s mind wandered and he was startled when Francis came to sit beside him.

“Francis!” he said, softly. “I didn’t see you or Ben in the crowd, and was concerned about you. How are you? Where were you?”

“We took duty with the City Guard last night,” Francis said. “We’d slept late and were in the middle of breakfast when you arrived. We didn’t know at first it was you or we’d been here sooner. Ben’s over there…apparently Alan’s given him a role in the battle.”

“Duty with the guard?” Patrick asked.

“Yes,” Francis replied. “Ben and I are still in the army. Father’s orders sent us to the school, but he also wants us to learn how they do things in the army in the capital. So, one day every tenday we perform some duty. Master Edo thinks it’s a great idea, as long as we don’t let them teach us any weapons techniques! He wants us to learn his way! Anyway, he’s been talking to a centurion who’s an old friend of his about getting the other boys to take some watches and stuff, too.”

“And how is your family?” Patrick asked the boy.

“Father wrote just last week that all are well.”

What more Francis might have said was silenced by the noisy action in the courtyard, as Alan recreated the battle.

*****

At Henry’s invitation, Patrick and Greyeyes went to that boy’s office. “Sorry to make you come here,” Henry said. “But you’ll understand why…” He locked the office door, and then opened the same secret door by which he had long ago led James and Kenneth to the meeting of the First Intelligence Committee.

As Henry led Patrick and Greyeyes down the narrow hallway, lit only by clerestory windows high in the walls, he explained. “This passage leads to the Privy Chamber, but it also leads…ah, here we are…” Henry pressed another panel, which slid aside to reveal another office. The tween there glanced at Henry, and nodded. “It also leads to the Treasury office. A certain caravaneer is there, appealing an assessment.”

Henry left Patrick and Greyeyes in the plain looking office. The tween who had been sitting there also departed, without a word. Within minutes, the door opened. Cadfael and Theron, the would-be Boy-Assassin, entered.

Greyeyes moved first. Holding out his arms, he walked toward the boy. “Theron, you’re safe and well. I’m so glad,” he said as he hugged the boy. The look of apprehension that had been in Theron’s eyes faded, Patrick saw, to be replaced with a genuine smile.

Patrick, meanwhile, greeted Cadfael, but cautiously, not sure what to reveal in Theron’s presence.

The tween returned with a tray of refreshments, and then departed.

Cadfael poured small beer for everyone, before speaking.

“Theron, did you know that Patrick saved my life?” the merchant asked.

“He saved mine, too,” Theron said, “and so did Greyeyes.”

“Theron,” Greyeyes said, “I did not save your life. If what I said to you helped you save your own life, I am happy, but you and only you saved your life.”

“Greyeyes is right, Theron,” Patrick said. “We did not save your life. You saved your life by taking responsibility for it.”

*****

Patrick and Cadfael sat in one corner of the room; Greyeyes and Theron in the other. Two private conversations were taking place. “There is something I’ve been mulling for some time, since before we left Fortmain, in fact,” Patrick began. “It started with a letter. It was a personal letter, from a friend. He said something that set me thinking. This is pure speculation, and I’m not sure I should clutter your resources with speculation.”

Cadfael looked at Patrick. “One of your contacts provided speculation that led you directly to the fortress of that troll-mage. You took the speculation in the context of the current situation, just as a mage scrys the future in the context of the current and historical situation. Frankly, I’d bet on your speculation over most people’s facts. Why don’t you tell me, and let me decide?”

Patrick nodded, and began. “As we’ve traveled, I’ve noticed some things that seem fit together. First, most farms and holts are much larger, both in acreage and in buildings, than they need to be to support the current inhabitants. Second, most farms and holts seem to have large areas of fallow fields that were once tilled or used as pasture. There are ancient stone windbreaks and fences threading through woodlots on many farms that suggest these woodlots were once pasture and planted fields. Third, the size of families has increased slightly in the recent past; more sets of twins are being born than historically; and more second daughters are being born than in people’s memories.”

Cadfael looked at Patrick. “I’ve heard some of this information from elsewhere, but never so succinctly nor in quite the relationship you put it. What do you think it means?”

“I’m afraid, and I mean that literally,” Patrick replied, “I’m afraid that it means we are moving toward another great war. I’m afraid that in the years before past wars the population grew and was decimated…no, worse than decimated…during the wars. I think that farms produced more to feed the armies that fought in those wars. I think that families were larger to produce the soldiers that would die in those wars.”

“That’s a terrible, terrible story you are unfolding, Patrick,” Cadfael said. “I share your fears, and I think you are exactly right.”

*****

Over the next few tendays, the companions and Ivan met with Auric and various members of the Privy Council, the army, and various ministries regarding the rebuilding of Ivan’s dukedom and the Barony of the Western Marches. One such meeting had gone on until late afternoon. Finally, Auric called a recess.

“I would speak with Lord Ivan alone,” the prince said.

“May Greyeyes remain with me, my Lord?” the boy asked.

The prince’s voice was firm. “Not this time.”

After an hour, the companions were ushered back into the Privy Chamber. Ivan sat, stone-faced, at Auric’s right.

“Thank you for waiting,” the prince said. “Please, be seated.”

After shuffling a few papers on his table, the prince began. “Patrick, I had hoped that you would be a part of this; however, King Oberon has refused my request for your services. Politely, with sympathy, and with a great deal of understanding for the situation, but nevertheless, a refusal. In fact, he has sent a command that you attend his court at a suitable time following Ivan’s investiture. I think he means right away.

“King Oberon has also extended an invitation for those of your companions who are not otherwise engaged to accompany you, and is most earnest and sincere in his invitation that they also attend the court. You will be given a copy of the letter.

“Ivan has asked that Greyeyes remain with him, and King Oberon has commanded Greyeyes to do so. Greyeyes, you will be appointed and sworn as Ivan’s Chancellor until Ivan or his Regent shall release you from that oath. Darryn, King Oberon has not released you, but has ordered you to accompany Patrick. This will mean that you and your friend will be separated for some time.

“This is not, however, the only separation. Alan, I charge you to accompany Ivan as General of the Army of the Western Marches. Right now, the Army of the Western Marches is you. It will be your job to recruit and train that army, and to coordinate plans with the Cordillera. We’ll discuss details, later. Alan, you will also be Regent, and will be named Viscount during Ivan’s investiture. Ivan, it will be up to you to grant Alan lands to hold in fief to you. Alan, you will be in fief to your ward. An interesting situation, but one that I’m sure you can handle.

“James, I charge you to accompany Ivan as Senior Cleric of the temple at…well, at Castle MacLachlan, for now. Again, at present, you are the entire Clergy of that temple, and it will be your responsibility to recruit to fill the appropriate ranks. Ivan, again it will be your responsibility to allocate lands for the temple to hold in fief.

“Kenneth, your father summons you home. You and those who accompany you will travel to Elvenhold through Carter.

“Prince Taam, I would appreciate your attending and participating in the honors ceremony and Ivan’s investiture. It will provide public notice of the alliance between us, an alliance that will likely be implemented through Ivan. Kaam, of course you should be there, as well.

“My friends, I am sorry that you will be separated. You have seen for yourselves the difficulties and pain that are visited upon those who serve the Light. I mourn with you the death of Thom…Sir Thomas of Fortmain. He will be named Knight of the Realm. Yes, I know that is an honor seldom conferred on boys. I mourn with you his death, and the death of all those who will die in the coming battles, for I am convinced that there will be other battles, and that there may be another Great War.

“As you serve the Light, Time serves Destiny. You will be together, again.” There were tears in the prince’s eyes as he turned and left the room.

I forget that he is so young, Patrick thought.

“I don’t understand…we have sworn oaths to each other…James and Kenneth are bound as Master and Apprentice or whatever they call it…,” Darryn said after the prince had left. His voice showed his petulance.

“Yes, but we all first swore oaths to the Light, and to our Liege Lord…and the earlier oath takes precedent, does it not, Patrick,” Alan said.

“Yes,” Patrick said. “Our oaths to the Light when we became boys include a promise to obey the prince who serves the Light…or for we elves, the king who serves the Light. All later oaths are subordinate to that one.

“We all knew that separation would come someday. Thom was the first to be separated from us. It’s clear that Evil is rising…as it is bound to do…and that we all go into danger. More of us may…no, will die. Sooner or later. Until then, I will serve the Light, and will love you all, and look for the day when we will be together once again.”

*****

“Patrick, do you resent that I have forced your separation from Alan? I know that you are close. I saw that the first time I saw you together.” A page had summoned Patrick to a private meeting with Prince Auric. This one was in a small study, a room lined with shelves of books alternating with wooden models of war engines. Prince Auric had been waiting with a pot of coffee when Patrick arrived. His first question startled the elf and he took a moment to think before answering.

“My Lord,” Patrick said, “I feel many things. I feel sadness, because I do love Alan. We are not heart-bound, and we know that we will not be. But we are fast companions.

“I feel apprehension, because I know that Alan is going into danger and I will not be there to help protect him. In my mind, I know that he is a courageous boy, and that he will be surrounded by those who will help him, including James, who is a fine soldier, cleric, and healer. But I also know that he will be on a pinnacle, now, where before he was not. He will be exposed to great danger than he has yet seen.

“I feel a sense of loss, not just because of the impending separation from Alan, but also from James and Greyeyes, but I know that you made the wisest, perhaps the only decision you could.

“Do I feel resentment? No, my Lord. You have opened yourself to me from the first day we met, when you thanked me for saving Alan’s life. You spoke from your heart, and I knew it. You spoke differently to me than you did to David Brighton. You spoke to him formally, with courtesy, but as a duty. You spoke to me with sincerity.

“When you were introduced to Prince Taam, I watched as you spoke to him the same way—with sincerity that makes people want to follow you and to obey you.

“When you told us today that we would be separated, but that you were sorry for it, you spoke the same way. I cannot resent you…and there is nothing to resent, really.”

*****

A prince who is not wise himself will never take good advice.
—Machiavelli,
The Prince
Bella est detesta matribus. (War is the horror of mothers.)
— Horace

Prince Auric addressed his Privy Council. “If we are to give the honors that have been proposed,” the prince began, “I want to know if you all support this, without reservation. If there is any reason this should not be done, I want to hear it.”

“My Lord,” an old warrior began, “I have been honored to serve your grandfather, your father, and now you. I know that they always had good reason for what they did, even though I did not always understand those reasons. Although you are young in both body and experience, you are the offspring of strong stock. You have my full support.”

There was a brief silence, and then a merchant prince spoke. “My Lord and compères. I know, and others are learning, that Evil has turned its eyes upon Arcadia. What these boys have done to resist Evil would, in itself, justify these honors. The honors will also reinforce the warning their actions carry. You have my full support.”

“My son,” spoke the city’s Masterguildmaster, “was going to be a Smith like his father until he was awakened by the sound of Light being restored to the western marches, even though it was a month before we knew what that sound was. He now wants to be a soldier of the Light in the old tradition, a paladin. If that is to be his destiny, I want there to be sterling examples for him to follow. These boys…well, you have my full support, as well.”

“My Lord and Gentlemen,” the Guildmistress Potter spoke, “I am a mother who will be sending her sons into the service of Arcadia and the Light. Whether they become soldiers or sailors, craftsmen or clerics, I will send them, just as these boys’ mothers sent them. There is one difference. These boys’ mothers did not know the extent or nature of the Evil their sons would face. Thanks to what these boys have done, I and other mothers can better prepare our sons for the battles they will face. I fully support the honors you propose for these boys.”

“My Lord,” Alten spoke next. “James has been like a son to me, and perhaps my thoughts are tempered too much by love. Too many of our number have forgotten that one of our paths is that of the Warrior-Cleric. We have become fine farmers and healers, clerks and teachers, but except for a few isolated schools and monasteries, the temple in Arcadia has fallen away from the Path Militant. If we are to face another Great War…and I fear we shall…then we must put our feet back on that path. James has not only shown us where Evil lies, he has been instrumental in the first skirmishes against it, both as a soldier and a healer. You have my full support, as well.

One by one the members of the Privy Council accorded the prince their support.

*****

Ennoblement arises from either ability or fortune.
He who relies least on fortune is the stronger.

—Machiavelli, The Prince

The court was assembled. Behind Prince Auric stood his privy counselors, a number of clerics and mages, soldiers, and others. Standing in the chamber were several hundred people, each present at the express invitation of a member of the Privy Council. “If we’re going to set the example you want to be set,” the prince had told them, “then it’s up to you to see that the right people are there.”

A single blast on the trumpets of the heralds silenced the crowd. A senior herald stepped to a lectern on one side of the dais on which the court sat.

“By invitation and command of His Royal Highness, Auric, Prince of Arcadia, we are gathered to witness the ennoblement of servants of the realm. In the summer of the third year of the reign of Prince Auric, in service to the Light, they sought battle with an army of dark forces nearly ten times their number. By strength of arms, character, and magic, they defeated this army, killing its evil leader, and restoring the Duchy of MacLachlan to its rightful heir. Today, these deeds are to be acknowledged and rewarded.”

The Herald Trumpets sounded a fanfare that left most of the people puzzled. “What’s that for?” and “Who is that for?” buzzed briefly. One voice gasped and whispered to its neighbor, “That’s the fanfare for the King of Elvenhold! But he can’t be here!”

The Chief Herald announced, “His Grace, Iactus, Duke of Londinium, Ambassador Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary of His Royal Majesty, King Oberon of Elvenhold.”

A figure that had been half-hidden among the courtiers stepped forward. Prince Auric rose and bowed, acknowledging that the man who stood there was the alter ego of the King of Elvenhold, empowered to do anything that the king might do. The duke bowed to Prince Auric, acknowledging the close bonds between the two countries as well as the tradition that the Prince of Arcadia and the King of Elvenhold, regardless of titles, were equals in honor.

The two stepped forward and stood, side by side. The herald announced, “The companions and adventurers Darryn, son of Edwin of Bramble and Greyeyes, son of Elkin of Bramble will present themselves.”

Darryn looked terrified. “Patrick, we’re not supposed to…”

Patrick took the boy’s hand briefly, “But you are. You showed no fear when we were surrounded by trolls. You need fear nothing here.”

The entire exchange took less time than it took for the echoes of the herald’s voice to die. Darryn and Greyeyes walked side-by-side toward the step on which the duke and prince stood. They stopped perhaps three feet away, and bowed.

“Kneel,” the duke instructed. The boys hastened to comply.

The duke’s voice, enhanced by the herald’s magic, rang through the room. “For courage, for valor, for sacrifice, both past and future, in the name of Oberon, King of the Elves, I dub thee Darryn, Knight.” The crowd, few of whom were prepared to see a boy knighted, gasped as the duke’s sword swept down, and touched the top of Darryn’s head.

The duke continued, “For courage, for valor, for sacrifice, both past and future, in the name of Oberon, King of the Elves, I dub thee Greyeyes, Knight.” The sword swept down and touched the second boy’s head.

The duke nodded to Auric, who spoke, “Rise, Sir Darryn; rise Sir Greyeyes.”

The two boys stood. A page held a cushion on which rested two pairs of the mithral spurs of an elven knight.

*****

“…I dub thee Knight Chevalier of Arcadia and Elvenhold.” Prince Auric swept his sword down, touching first Patrick’s right shoulder, then his left.

“Rise, Sir Patrick,” ordered Prince Auric. Patrick rose to his feet. The page was there, again with elven spurs. The duke’s voice was pitched for Patrick’s ears only. Prince Auric, who was only inches away, did not hear him say, “These are mine, grandson. Wear them with my blessing.”

*****

“…I dub thee Knight Chevalier.”

“Rise, Sir Alan,” ordered Prince Auric. Alan’s father was there, rather than the customary page. In his hands, he held the steel, roweled spurs of an Arcadian Knight. Alan recognized them instantly. They were his father’s spurs.

*****

“James, son of Beriah, Constable of Bowling Green, present yourself,” the Herald demanded.

“…I dub thee Knight Chevalier.”

*****

“Lord Kenneth of Carter, present yourself,” called the Herald. Kenneth blushed as he walked toward Prince Auric.

“Lord Kenneth?” whispered Darryn.

“Yes,” Alan whispered back. “That’s his father, the Duke of Carter joining the prince.”

“He’s a Lord?” Darryn wondered, silently, this time.

“…I dub thee Knight.”

“Kenneth,” his father said softly, “you cannot know how proud I am of you, nor how difficult I will find it to tell your brothers that the baby of the family was the first to be knighted!”

*****

“Albert of Fortmain, present yourself,” the Herald called.

Thom’s father, brought from the farm to which he’d retired, walked unsteadily forward. Prince Auric caught Alan’s eye and tilted his head slightly. Instantly Alan was at Albert’s side, offering the man a steadying arm.

Thom’s father accepted the medallion from the prince’s hand. The prince spoke, but even those nearby did not hear what passed between him and the only surviving member of the line of the original Sir Thomas of Fortmain. When Auric stopped speaking, Albert nodded, and took the prince’s offered hand.

Chapter End Notes:
Copyright © 2011 David McLeod; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm glad they finally got the reward they deserved, even if it embarrassed them somewhat to be publicly named good.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..